Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Did they reveal the power of the Class B dude who went around stealing from a bunch of people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ytlaya posted:

Did they reveal the power of the Class B dude who went around stealing from a bunch of people?

I don't think they've mentioned it, no. I have no idea what he's doing, the comic isn't really showing how he's stealing everyone's headbands. I have no idea how he got Mineta's, the dude is inside a living fortress with Tsuyu personally guarding him. They should've been as safe as you can get in this contest.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

During the race, he had a bunch of people carry him. Seems to be some sorta hypnotism.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wasn't that a different guy

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All these inferior B-classes just meld into one in my mind.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
except for tetsux4, of course

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing that Midoriya is going to lose the headband. Otherwise there won't be as much tension for later matches. Either that or he's going to be forced to use All for One.
It's possible the points aren't cumulative but just for this event.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
the "translator" notes are the worst cherrypicked examples

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
With how things have been going, it would not surprise me if the highest scoring group actually started the next event at a big disadvantage or with an equally large price on their heads (either all the same or divided equally).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gnome7 posted:

I don't think they've mentioned it, no. I have no idea what he's doing, the comic isn't really showing how he's stealing everyone's headbands. I have no idea how he got Mineta's, the dude is inside a living fortress with Tsuyu personally guarding him. They should've been as safe as you can get in this contest.

Seems like he got too cocky. Class B would have been better off not speechifying about how dumb Class A is, or at least wait until the end. Now instead of focusing on Deku's team they're all going to be focusing on him and the rest of the teams who retain points.

Though he does seem to be flaunting the rules, wearing headbands around his neck instead of above it. Unless he's a tiny man riding around inside a smug robot shell.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

pinegala posted:

What exactly is the problem with them?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought that her power would be particularly useful in snatching headbands.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

pinegala posted:

I liked the part where they talk about how sometimes they just change things for no reason. Also I really, really wish they'd stop with the fan art before every chapter, and that goes for any other scan group that does it. It's weird.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What do you guys think is the backstory between Berkeley's Puzzle and his dad? Did Dad burn Son during a childhood "accident" like Fire Lord Ozai and Prince Zuko, or Son burn himself during training due to being pushed too hard by Dad?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

What do you guys think is the backstory between Berkeley's Puzzle and his dad? Did Dad burn Son during a childhood "accident" like Fire Lord Ozai and Prince Zuko, or Son burn himself during training due to being pushed too hard by Dad?

It might just be him being pissed off at his father or wanting to prove he's better than him or something; his dad is the No. 2 hero around and a fire-based hero and all. Surpass his father in a way that shows that he's not the same, etc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

It might just be him being pissed off at his father or wanting to prove he's better than him or something; his dad is the No. 2 hero around and a fire-based hero and all. Surpass his father in a way that shows that he's not the same, etc.

He's doing it in the lamest way possible though. He could be combining his fire and ice to conjure up storms and poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Heatwave Hailstorm definitely has daddy issues.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

JosephWongKS posted:

Prince Zuko, or Son burn himself during training due to being pushed too hard by Dad?

Aww poo poo.
Now thay youve mentioned it the resemblace is uncanny.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xoidanor posted:

He's doing it in the lamest way possible though. He could be combining his fire and ice to conjure up storms and poo poo.

Not if his mom had an ice quirk and papa flame was an absolute prick to her/Mount Erebus blames him for her death.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it could also be that his fire powers are just super dangerous to use, especially in a crowded arena like what they're in.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not that ice is much better in that regard :v:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Inflammatory posted:

it could also be that his fire powers are just super dangerous to use, especially in a crowded arena like what they're in.
For no particular reason, I suspect this is the case.

... well, okay. The reason is that I got the impression, and it could just be the way the wording was translated, that he wouldn't use his fire powers because they were just too darned powerful to use in pleasant company.

It could be daddy issues, but that's a bit too much of a cliché for what I'm hoping out of this manga.

The best answer would be he's a pyrophobe. Could be related to his burn scar or not. Better answer would be not.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tollymain posted:

not that ice is much better in that regard :v:

Everyone knows that if you freeze someone alive in a giant chunk of ice, they're just fine when they thaw out. Because that's clearly how it works.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bremen posted:

Everyone knows that if you freeze someone alive in a giant chunk of ice, they're just fine when they thaw out. Because that's clearly how it works.

Oh, he didn't mean that. He was talking about how a a burnt 1000000 point headband is worth exactly 0 points.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"I will never use fire" *cut to an angry dude whose hair is fire*

He only ever used ice while fighting. His costume completely covers the fire that normally covers one side of his body. Of loving course it is daddy issues. What's next, a time travel theory?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Serious Frolicking posted:

"I will never use fire" *cut to an angry dude whose hair is fire*

He only ever used ice while fighting. His costume completely covers the fire that normally covers one side of his body. Of loving course it is daddy issues. What's next, a time travel theory?

Yea, I'm not honestly sure how you could take anything else away from it the way it's framed even without considering the fact he's never used his fire powers that we've seen. And let's be honest, this manga has never been afraid to use cliche story elements, even in it's short story run - the main character and his prime rival are both giant shonen cliches for one thing. There's nothing wrong with cliche story elements though, only with using them badly. Which the story hopefully, and by it's own short, but good track record is unlikely to do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dan7el posted:

The best answer would be he's a pyrophobe. Could be related to his burn scar or not. Better answer would be not.

Is it a burn scar? I thought it shrunk and increased relative to how much ice or fire quirk he was using. I'm pretty sure that when he was fighting the villain invasion it got tiny when he froze everything.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

tsob posted:

Yea, I'm not honestly sure how you could take anything else away from it the way it's framed even without considering the fact he's never used his fire powers that we've seen.

We saw him spouting a bit of fire at the end of the nuke test thing that they did, after he froze everyone to the floor and won. He melted the ice to let them go.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

Is it a burn scar? I thought it shrunk and increased relative to how much ice or fire quirk he was using. I'm pretty sure that when he was fighting the villain invasion it got tiny when he froze everything.

Nope.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

We saw him spouting a bit of fire at the end of the nuke test thing that they did, after he froze everyone to the floor and won. He melted the ice to let them go.

I guess Kid Thermostat is okay with using fire in a non-combat way?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Say Nothing posted:

I guess Kid Thermostat is okay with using fire in a non-combat way?

Basically. He's not afraid of using fire at all, and it's not like he can't control it, he explicitly says he refuses to use it in combat though. After combat he's fine to use it to clean up his frozen mess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This week's Weekly Shonen Jump is out, and with it, the official translation of the first chapter. The biggest difference I've noticed so far is that Yuuei Academy is referred to as U.A. High School.

Edit: Okay, so the translation is pretty good. I didn't really notice any major differences from the second version of the scan translation, but I'd have to go over it again. The U.A. thing was the one that stood out the most to me.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 2, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This week's Weekly Shonen Jump is out, and with it, the official translation of the first chapter. The biggest difference I've noticed so far is that Yuuei Academy is referred to as U.A. High School.

Edit: Okay, so the translation is pretty good. I didn't really notice any major differences from the second version of the scan translation, but I'd have to go over it again. The U.A. thing was the one that stood out the most to me.

Do they have it stand for anything? Because if they have it stand for something and it's good then that's a great localization.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They have not said yet. Understandable, since U.A. itself isn't referenced much in the first chapter. And the publication is going simultaneous with Japan next week with a catch-up feature covering the story so far, so if it stands for something, it might be there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think some of their clothing and such had UA emblazoned on them? Since it's homophone with Yuuei it works well as a contraction (I'm sure I used the wrong word there).

Given that, they wouldn't have much choice in localizing the name without having to do awkward reeditings of the art itself.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kyte posted:

I think some of their clothing and such had UA emblazoned on them? Since it's homophone with Yuuei it works well as a contraction (I'm sure I used the wrong word there).

Given that, they wouldn't have much choice in localizing the name without having to do awkward reeditings of the art itself.

I just checked some of the other chapters. The symbol itself for the Academy is a stylized "UA" so the name was indeed pretty much chosen for the translator.

The word you are looking for is "abbreviation", by the way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ultra All-Might's High School.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011

cammy14 posted:

So the profile pages all say U.A instead of Yuuei. What could it stand for? Something Academy?

I already asked this question 11 pages ago :colbert:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ultra Academia maybe.

The mantra of their curriculum is PLUS ULTRA after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I suppose it really depends on if OUR AUTHOR, DEAR READERS, was referencing the Pillars of Hercules or not. On the one hand, it's a little obscure. On the other, Herc is a popular character for DC.

On the third hand, which is probably one of the ones that Shirageki called Father, it could be referencing Charles the 5th (of Germany, Italy, Spain, others) and then I don't even know what the heck.