Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I guess Patreon is the new hotness for indie horror writers. A few people dipped their toes in it last year, but Brian Keene jumped in and is making a reasonable chunk of change for letting patrons read chapters of his books as he writes them (he still plans to do a traditional release once they are complete). Now it seems like everyone is rushing to get their account set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

I guess Patreon is the new hotness for indie horror writers. A few people dipped their toes in it last year, but Brian Keene jumped in and is making a reasonable chunk of change for letting patrons read chapters of his books as he writes them (he still plans to do a traditional release once they are complete). Now it seems like everyone is rushing to get their account set up.

I can see it working really well for Keene, he seems like he has a pretty ravenous fanbase among his hardcore followers. I wish I liked his stuff, because I met him once and he was absolutely hilarious, but I've never cared much for his books. I saw a panel he was in at a sci-fi con where he told an absolutely obnoxious fan that he'd kill them off in his next book, I wonder if that ever happened.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

I can see it working really well for Keene, he seems like he has a pretty ravenous fanbase among his hardcore followers. I wish I liked his stuff, because I met him once and he was absolutely hilarious, but I've never cared much for his books. I saw a panel he was in at a sci-fi con where he told an absolutely obnoxious fan that he'd kill them off in his next book, I wonder if that ever happened.

He's getting just under $500 a month right now and has been registered for ten days or so. I suspect it will go up a bit more, but he's doing an incredibly basic setup (only one reward level and you only need to pledge a buck to get it), so he won't be setting records or anything.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure someone would have set one up for Lovecraft (he would never dream of doing one for himself, but if people insisted on sending him money...) and he'd have been quite happy with it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Robert E. Howard would have a Patreon set up AND would have been a goon, or at least a redditor.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

anilEhilated posted:

I know this story and even recall that the first sentence is something along the lines of "Yesterday I shot the answering machine" but can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It is very good though.
I think it came in the same anthology as David Morrell's "Orange is for anguish, blue for insanity" which I enjoyed a good deal too, but that's here in the rear end-end of Europe.

edit: Oh, turns out someone actually beat me to it. I'll keep this here for the mention of what's probably the only good thing ever written by Morrell.

Just saw this, and I thought I'd point out that Morrell actually has a collection of such stories (including that one)--Dark Evening--which is really good.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

Are any other horror writers doing this? I'd put into a patreon for more Zack Parsons horror.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Skyscraper posted:

Are any other horror writers doing this? I'd put into a patreon for more Zack Parsons horror.

The only ones I know for sure are Brian Keene, Jeffrey Thomas (I'm backing him), and John Mantooth, but I can't see to find an easy way to browse all the writing campaigns to see if I recognize any other names. Dark Regions Press is also on there, but that's kind of dubious in my opinion (though in fairness those guys are quick to try new things with social media and crowdfunding and the like).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Skyscraper posted:

I only ever read Your Next Door Neighbor is a Dragon, what horror has he done?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
He wrote this really great weird/funny/terrifying front page series

http://www.somethingawful.com/series/conex-convict-connections/

He also wrote this book called LIMINAL STATES which truth be told I really didn't enjoy. But it's definitely weird and probably horror.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
:siren: :siren:

http://www.jeffvandermeer.com/2015/01/10/morning-news-tournament-books-current-reading-odds-n-ends/

quote:

I’ve also turned in an introduction for Melville House’s edition of the Strugatsky Brothers Dead Mountaineer’s Inn, am working on another intro for a Ligotti reprint from Penguin Classics, and will complete an intro for PM Press’s reprint of Moorcock’s Breakfast in the Ruins later this year as well.

quote:

It’s probably not giving away too much to say Songs is included.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Pope Guilty posted:

I only ever read Your Next Door Neighbor is a Dragon, what horror has he done?

Like Rough Lobster pointed out, he did the horror-comedy series, Conex Convict Connections, which actually had a couple of sequel articles:
http://www.somethingawful.com/series/conex-convict-connections/
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/conex-last-meals/1/
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/clavo-pageant-conex/1/

He also did the Instruction for a Help series, which you see referenced on the forums occasionally:
http://www.somethingawful.com/series/instruction-for-a-help/
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/daily-dirt/instruction-for-america.php

And my personal favorite, That Insidious Beast
http://www.somethingawful.com/series/that-insidious-beast/

They're all fantastic. LIMINAL STATES had some great horror elements, but I didn't like the overall story. I suspect it didn't sell as well as My Tank is Fight, and I hope he doesn't give up horror altogether. I'd put into a patreon if it meant another That Insidious Beast or even a couple more clavo adventures.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That's kinda curious. I wonder if it will be a straight reprint or if they're doing the Subterranean Press rewrites.

...I'll probably get it anyway :negative:

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Speculation is all over the place in the TLO thread about it, but because of the way VanderMeer said that SoaDD was "included," there is a growing hope that it's either a comprehensive catalog of everything or a reprint of The Nightmare Factory. Either would be fine with me. And yeah I kind of wish, whatever they do, they use the earlier editions of the stories. I haven't made it through all the Subterranean reprints (I assume that's what the KIndle versions are), every once in a while I'll stumble across something I wish Ligotti hadn't changed. I mean, he totally did away with that horrific hallucination of the shriveled blue head in the toilet water in "Alice's Last Adventure" and that to me was one of his most indelible images.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Blackout by Tim Curran is another fun cosmic horror novella from DarkFuse, as is Mirror of the Nameless by Luke Walker.

Curran is an established writer, and Blackout is par for the course in terms of quality. However, if you can only afford one, I'd go with Walker's novella. The last novella I recommended, The Last Mile, bears more than a passing similarity with Mirror (Waggoner's novella is probably better, but Walker's has some interesting ideas).

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Has Robert Aickman been brought up here before? I'm reading him now, anyone in this thread has gotta check him if you haven't already. I started reading him just cause in one Laird Barron's stories he calls Ligotti out for being a clear cut Aickman ripoff, and so far that's not untrue...same dismal atmospheres that get more and more oppressive until the stories just suddenly end, and your mind does the rest. Good poo poo.

bog savant fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 22, 2015

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Ornamented Death posted:

Blackout by Tim Curran is another fun cosmic horror novella from DarkFuse, as is Mirror of the Nameless by Luke Walker.

Curran is an established writer, and Blackout is par for the course in terms of quality. However, if you can only afford one, I'd go with Walker's novella. The last novella I recommended, The Last Mile, bears more than a passing similarity with Mirror (Waggoner's novella is probably better, but Walker's has some interesting ideas).

I bought these (the ones that had links). Opening of Mirror of the Nameless was good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I liked Mirror of the Nameless, on to Blackout.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Mirror is much more imaginative and engaging than Blackout, imo. Neither are top tier cosmic novelle (c.f. Brian Hodge's Whom the Gods Would Destroy, for example) but of recent stories recommended I would go The Last Mile > Mirror of the Nameless > Blackout. All are worth reading, and they're all cheap and quick, but if you have to miss any due to lack of interest...

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 29, 2015

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe it is. October release. I guess that works, as that's usually the time of year I start rereading Ligotti. And henceforth I won't have to watch the yellowing of my Nightmare Factory pages in real time.
http://www.penguin.com/book/songs-of-a-dead-dreamer-and-grimscribe-by-thomas-ligotti/9780143107767

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's not books specifically, but do you guys have any creepy podcast recommendations?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Von Sloneker posted:

Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe it is. October release. I guess that works, as that's usually the time of year I start rereading Ligotti. And henceforth I won't have to watch the yellowing of my Nightmare Factory pages in real time.
http://www.penguin.com/book/songs-of-a-dead-dreamer-and-grimscribe-by-thomas-ligotti/9780143107767

drat, no word if it's the updated version or the original version. I'd totally throw more money at that man for the original, apparently better text.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's not books specifically, but do you guys have any creepy podcast recommendations?

/r/nosleep is a subreddit where people write spooky stories for each other. There's a podcast where they read selected posts.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Pope Guilty posted:

/r/nosleep is a subreddit where people write spooky stories for each other. There's a podcast where they read selected posts.

Yeah, I've got that, Drabblecast, and Night Vale currently. Thanks for the response, though!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hey, Neurosis, check out Brian Hodge's Without Purpose, Without Pity. It's not really cosmic horror, but it is loving incredible.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

Hey, Neurosis, check out Brian Hodge's Without Purpose, Without Pity. It's not really cosmic horror, but it is loving incredible.

Yeah I've read it. Pretty good and it feels with the ending there'll be more in the same setting. I was also pleased he knew a little about fighting. I cringe when I read most authors describing unarmed combat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Anyone who likes this genre should really check out the new Darkest Dungeon game. I backed it on Kickstarter and it scratches this itch better than most books do.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

It's interesting to read The Hitchhiker's Guide novels after reading a bunch of this stuff. It's basically the Tucker and Dale of the cosmic horror world. The same sense of insignificance, the same sense of overwhelming helplessness and the same kinds of random bad things happening. It's much less serious but it comes at it from a sense of laughing at misery more than anything else.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyone who likes this genre should really check out the new Darkest Dungeon game. I backed it on Kickstarter and it scratches this itch better than most books do.

Turn-based game inspired by horror, Dark Souls, and Hellboy-ish artwork? I'm also getting distinct Oregon-Trail vibes??

Holy gently caress, sign me up.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

NickRoweFillea posted:

I forgot if it was mentioned here or somewhere else, but Quiet, Please is pretty good. Not a podcast, just archives of a really old radio show. Pretty Twilight Zone-y overall.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm sure you are all aware by now that Lovecraft is getting his own beer. Did Lovecraft even drink?

http://www.narragansettbeer.com/beers/lovecraft-honey-ale

Not sure if it is the first, or if it is any good.

Unrelated, here is a t-shirt design for a fictional Lovecraftian beer:

---

Re: Mirror of the Nameless

Ultimately I don't feel I can really recommend Mirror of the Nameless even at $2 because the plot was too predictable.

Essentially the story is driven by a man's desire to rescue/find his daughter in a post-apocalyptic Zombie hellscape, but with Mythos monsters instead of zombies (mostly). The phrase "I/We have to find Ashleigh" is repeated like a mantra something like five or six times as each scene goes from bad to worse and the protagonist pulls himself and his companion from one scene of horror to another. I prefer more character motivation than "it's my daughter" and more plot twists than "we have found a Mcguffin to save the world, oh wait no everything is worse." Personally I'm really sick to death of the zombie genera, so less jaded readers may enjoy it more than I did.

Having said that, the elder gods Walker creates and the being at the end are all very interesting and rather unique. I was impressed, particularly by the description of the observation at the end. That is cosmic horror right there.

Some of the human horror sequences were also disturbing and stick with you after a couple of days. The problem is, in some sections the story moves from horror scene to horror scene so quickly that fear and terror doesn't have a chance to sink in. I don't believe that was intentional either.

Walker also has talent at making secondary characters such as the former priest and the bartender come alive with an economy of words. I wanted to hear more about their stories, but by necessity you never get that chance.

So I wouldn't recommend Mirror of the Nameless, but I will be watching for Walker's future releases.

---

Delta Green: Tales from Failed Anatomies

I just finished Detwiller's book and I have to say I am impressed. Wow.

I found the book because the team who release the Hp Lovecraft Literary Podcast narrated several of Detwiller's stories on the Unspeakable Oath podcast (Unspeakable!).

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/category/unspeakable/

My favorites are "Intelligences" and "Drowning in Sand;" narrated by Rachel Lackey and Andrew Leman, respectively.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/11/unspeakable-episode-16-intelligences-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/10/unspeakable-episode-15-drowning-in-sand-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

"Intelligences" begins to approach Ligotti's realm of "the horror of banality" but it takes off into a very fitting Mythos grounded direction. "Drowning in Sand" ends on a wide-eyed question with horrible implications. What if he is right?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 2, 2015

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I kind of feel the same way about Mirror. Also, I don't think there would be any semblance of society in a world like that, to be perfectly honest. That thought keeps nagging at me as Segoth or whatever trundles across Europe.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Helical Nightmares posted:

I'm sure you are all aware by now that Lovecraft is getting his own beer. Did Lovecraft even drink?

He was a staunch Prohibitionist and even wrote a story about a friend, Alfred Galpin, turning into a hopeless drunk called "Old Bugs." It is set in the far-flung future of 1950 and ends with Bugs saving his ex-fiancee's son from trying whiskey before collapsing and dying on a barroom floor. Lovecraft sent the story to Galpin and wrote "Now will you be good?" at the bottom. All because Galpin wanted to try alcohol before Prohibition went into effect! Lovecraft would probably be horrified to learn that people were using his name and likeness to sell beer!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

He was a staunch Prohibitionist and even wrote a story about a friend, Alfred Galpin, turning into a hopeless drunk called "Old Bugs." It is set in the far-flung future of 1950 and ends with Bugs saving his ex-fiancee's son from trying whiskey before collapsing and dying on a barroom floor. Lovecraft sent the story to Galpin and wrote "Now will you be good?" at the bottom. All because Galpin wanted to try alcohol before Prohibition went into effect! Lovecraft would probably be horrified to learn that people were using his name and likeness to sell beer!

And even more horrified that the can was black.

By the way, one of the best things about this thread is seeing it in my bookmarks with you listed as the last poster.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's face it, if nameless horrors from behind time and space used the Internet, this is where they'd show up.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

KingShiro posted:

I forgot if it was mentioned here or somewhere else, but Quiet, Please is pretty good. Not a podcast, just archives of a really old radio show. Pretty Twilight Zone-y overall.

I remember listening to The Thing on the Fourble Board while driving late at night and getting freaked out. Thanks!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anyone have a good book or collection that kind of captures a Twin Peaks flavor of weirdness? I recently read [b]American Elsewhere[b/], which kind of scratched the itch of "there's something wrong with this vaguely friendly town" but I'd like some more of that if it's out there.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

In case yall aren't following the scifi and fantasy thread, Subterranean Press has a humble bundle up for the next week and change. Looks like some good titles in there - I haven't been able to read them, but overall reaction is very positive. Humblebundle.com, click the books tab.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MockingQuantum posted:

Anyone have a good book or collection that kind of captures a Twin Peaks flavor of weirdness? I recently read [b]American Elsewhere[b/], which kind of scratched the itch of "there's something wrong with this vaguely friendly town" but I'd like some more of that if it's out there.

I can't personally vouch for it, but a David Lynch tribute anthology came out a few years back. In Heaven Everything is Fine

Chances are it'll have at least a few stories like what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Play the game "Alan Wake", it's a lot of fun and is appropriately Lynchian weirdness. As you progress through the game you'll pick up pages of the main character's manuscript. There's a creepy novel they wrote for background to the game.