Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Watching the A-team special of Mythbuster's now. I'm suprised how much I'm not missing the build team at all, as the new format is keeping me entertained.

Criticisms; Yes the intro is very "manly man man oooo rah" and I miss seeing Kari.

:shrug:

That's it, it's still a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jaime's a real good shot with a junk-made wood cannon.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I have a feeling that the reason why the manhole cover one was plausible instead of confirmed (even though it nailed everything) was because they don't want people actually going out and doing it. I mean, that looked like a solid confirmed to me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Anyone else feel like the wood launcher build they did might have been one of the coolest things they've ever done on the show? If not only because they literally Junk Yard Wars'd it in an hour?

We mentioned it in this thread before, but I would love to see Jamie and Adam have a show where they have to basically do exactly what they did for the lumber launcher myth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

I have a feeling that the reason why the manhole cover one was plausible instead of confirmed (even though it nailed everything) was because they don't want people actually going out and doing it. I mean, that looked like a solid confirmed to me.

Way back when they first introduced "plausible", I think they set a high bar for "confirmed." Something needs to be proven to be possible by them, and they have to have evidence that it's happened in real life.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was surprised that the manhole cover actually did dampen the blast so much. I totally thought it was going to just turn to shrapnel and shred the car.

Also their metric for survivability seems rather extreme because I'm not sure how long someone would live with the injuries they described.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Plausible" has always meant one of two things- either that it's not impossible but you have to get incredibly lucky, or that they were unable to replicate it but have solid documentation that it occurred elsewhere. They have to do it on the show and observe results very close to what the myth predicts to get Confirmed.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I was surprised that the manhole cover actually did dampen the blast so much. I totally thought it was going to just turn to shrapnel and shred the car.

Also their metric for survivability seems rather extreme because I'm not sure how long someone would live with the injuries they described.

Those are always the best ones, where the opposite of what makes sense is what happens. I too thought it was going to absolutely destroy the guy with shrapnel, like Adam said. Real explosions are weird compared to what I'm used to from pop culture. It did seem odd that they said that don't use real dynamite normally because it's unstable, but then they didn't have the bomb squad there setting everything up. Did they mention anything about them at all this episode? I'd be glad if they were invisible or not around anymore because I'm glad to be done with the 360 around the guy shot because it's cheesy as hell. I'm also loving less cuts within the show because that poo poo will date the show forever.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm just happy they are 3 for 3 in obtaining the full rights to the shows/movies they are referencing instead of having to vaguely reference the scene they are testing and relying on crappy animations to show what they mean.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Not only is the new format ripping it up, these theme episodes with actual licensing permission that test meaningful, interesting myths directly taken from beloved media are actually excellent for a change.

Was really disappointed Jamie's impressively in-depth Mr.T cosplay was relegated to promo wrappers only, though. He should've be riding high on the BA Baracus Lumber Chariot

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ariza posted:

It did seem odd that they said that don't use real dynamite normally because it's unstable,

"Dynamite is susceptible to shock."

*wildly shakes stick of dynamite*

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm just happy they are 3 for 3 in obtaining the full rights to the shows/movies they are referencing instead of having to vaguely reference the scene they are testing and relying on crappy animations to show what they mean.
It'll be interesting when they inevitably go into the Patriots' cheating without being legally allowed to say "Super Bowl."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haven't they already done sports cheating myths before? Like, I'm pretty sure they already did an episode with underinflated footballs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They did footballs inflated with helium but I don't think they tried degrees of inflation.

(Result: They actually fly less far than air footballs since they have less mass and therefore inertia; the air slows them down faster.)

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Haven't they already done sports cheating myths before? Like, I'm pretty sure they already did an episode with underinflated footballs.

They did helium filled footballs years ago.

dang.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Doom myths up next

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

They did one about corked baseball bats too. (Your ball tends to travel less distance as the bat is lighter and can't impart as much energy onto the ball)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There's a whole lot of IED victims that get maimed pretty badly but live, and from what I've heard the circumstances are similar in that culverts and small bridges are typical locations for them.

As for the sewer lessening the impact, dynamite isn't a sophisticated shaped charge, it just explodes along the path of least resistance, which is into the sewer system itself. Also fun story, I once missed driving down a street in Baltimore where the manholes exploded off the road by a few minutes.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It's nice to have a more grounded Mythbusters back. Good to see time spent on the prototyping and iterative experiments stage with Jamie and Adam, which was aways far more interesting than spending half the episode with the build team filling time before they just blow something up for the sake of it.

I think Jamie and Adam have said often in the past that they like actually building stuff instead of just setting up explosions, and they seem more invested than they have been for a while. I liked little bits like Adam talking about Forstner bits or the foam-scupting method for the Homer dummy. He seems more like how he comes across in his workshop videos on Tested when he's talking through the techniques and tips of prop-making.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone else feel like the wood launcher build they did might have been one of the coolest things they've ever done on the show? If not only because they literally Junk Yard Wars'd it in an hour?

Yeah that's the first time in a long time that I've actually been really impressed and delighted by something they did on the show. Usually I'm just going through the motions while watching Mythbusters, but I'm liking these new episodes and the new format where they just come up with two solid myths and then run through the entire process of testing it or recreating the results. It feels a lot like the older episodes, when they didn't have a bunch of Build Team filler and mugging for the audience.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm skeptical that they actually built that wood-chucker in an hour, but it was still awesome.

Mythbusters is the best it has been in years. I actually liked the build team, but having two completely different teams made the pacing of the show feel weird.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm skeptical that they actually built that wood-chucker in an hour, but it was still awesome.

I suspect they stopped the timer for the bits where they're explaining stuff to the camera, which I'm okay with. I'm also curious how that lumberyard got stocked.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

They didn't explicitly say it, but from what I gathered in their aftershow, they knew broadly what they were going to do (make a wood pitching machine) and let the producers fill the "lumber yard" with things they would be able to do it with - but they had no blueprints or plans going in.

Sort of like "Junkyard Wars," where they got the general idea of what the team wanted to do, and then gave them the basic parts that they could do it with, just placed all around a small fake junkyard.

I also get the feeling that it took them longer than an hour. All of that said, I don't care, really. It's still pretty cool, and is a good way to 'celebrate' the kind of thinking and reasoning (and building) that the show should have always been promoting in the first place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think they probably actually designed and built the machine in an hour but they kind of fudged it by knowing roughly what they wanted beforehand so they could get right to work. Like Adam already had the idea for the loading mechanism and sight.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So far in the Doom episode, the Mythbusters have not tested if unethical science experiments can open a portal to Hell. What a lowball.

(Their description of the Plasma Rifle was '40 Watt Range'. I laughed.)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Real Life Fruit Ninja is far more entertaining than it should be.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MisterBibs posted:

So far in the Doom episode, the Mythbusters have not tested if unethical science experiments can open a portal to Hell. What a lowball.

(Their description of the Plasma Rifle was '40 Watt Range'. I laughed.)

I know zilch about Doom, so can't you discard weapons and stuff you no longer need/want?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I know zilch about Doom, so can't you discard weapons and stuff you no longer need/want?

No. Doom lets you carry all the guns. Currently watching this episode and they really seem to be enjoying themselves. Fun stuff!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fruit Chain Saw? This is beautiful.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I doubt it'd make any salient difference, but instead of a UFC fighter, why not use an actual Marine? Story wise you're a marine, and I'm sure they are used to carrying a ton of gear...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

He hit a bunch of the zombie volunteers in the balls :laffo:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Crazy Ted posted:

Fruit Chain Saw? This is beautiful.
I liked that the basic sword version actually got some decent results. It's fruit ninja, not fruit brony. As far as you could "prove" that kind of game, that was pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I doubt it'd make any salient difference, but instead of a UFC fighter, why not use an actual Marine? Story wise you're a marine, and I'm sure they are used to carrying a ton of gear...

From the way the guy talked I just assumed he used to be in the military.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I wonder if the build team will get their own show, I liked their personalities and interplay for the most part but clearly Mythbusters is a stronger show when it's focused on two things instead of five.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Must be a real slap in the face of the old build team that the perceived quality and practical production values went up with their dismissal, even tho it's been suspected that the budget has been cut.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Doom myth felt a little thin, like not a question that I really cared to know the answer to. Fruit Ninja was pretty great.

I'm surprised they were able to convince people (insurers) it was safe enough to wave a sharp sword over the heads of people.

Edit: also, the UFC guy is former football player, not former military.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 1, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

smackfu posted:

I'm surprised they were able to convince people (insurers) it was safe enough to wave a sharp sword over the heads of people.

Yeah, I kept thinking "this just seems really unsafe and Adam isn't a professional swordsman, what if he loses his grip?". Nobody was wearing padding or face protection beyond goggles.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I dunno how they didn't get a pro swordsman to try it, the same way they did with the Doom myth. Would have been cool to see someone try with the set up they used. Also those jugglers seemed pointless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing we were really sure about when the episode started was that they were being sponsored by Microsoft, considering how many of the games they mentioned were Bone exclusive. But then when they started messing around with Fruit Ninja they played the Kinect version without ever actually saying the word "Kinect" so I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well they showed Destiny in the montage (which is also on PS4) and Doom is just a PC game really with no affiliation to MS. Not sure why'd you think they were sponsored by MS.

Though, yeah they probably searched around for footage rights and MS gladly dumped Halo and Titanfall in their laps. I don't even remember what the other games in the montage were though.

• Locked thread