Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need some input guys.

I'm just starting to put together how I'm going to order Convergence for my store. As a regular DC buyer, do you think you'd buy a Convergence book if you already buy the normal series it corresponds to? For instance, if you buy Batman and Robin regularly do you think you'll pick up Convergence: Batan and Robin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I need some input guys.

I'm just starting to put together how I'm going to order Convergence for my store. As a regular DC buyer, do you think you'd buy a Convergence book if you already buy the normal series it corresponds to? For instance, if you buy Batman and Robin regularly do you think you'll pick up Convergence: Batan and Robin?

I absolutely wouldn't on my own end. On the opposite end of the spectrum I would be likely to pick up a Convergence for a series I don't usually read if I like the concept.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I need some input guys.

I'm the kind of idiot that's traditionally bought all the issues of the September events, even if I didn't read the book. That said, with convergence, I'm only going to be sticking with the "era" releases I want, though it'll probably be across the board regardless of character. So I'm definitely buying everything from the Pre-Flashpoint DCU, and the Zero Hour era, but I'm most likely not buying anything from the pre-crisis or CoIE universes. So for me, just week 1 and 2.

If the character-based strategy doesn't work, maybe just a little survey card with those 4 eras (and the weekly) as checkboxes you ask people to fill out while you ring their DC books up?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

I'm the kind of idiot that's traditionally bought all the issues of the September events, even if I didn't read the book. That said, with convergence, I'm only going to be sticking with the "era" releases I want, though it'll probably be across the board regardless of character. So I'm definitely buying everything from the Pre-Flashpoint DCU, and the Zero Hour era, but I'm most likely not buying anything from the pre-crisis or CoIE universes. So for me, just week 1 and 2.

If the character-based strategy doesn't work, maybe just a little survey card with those 4 eras (and the weekly) as checkboxes you ask people to fill out while you ring their DC books up?

I'm doing full checklists for every preorder customer, I'm totally lost on what to get for the stand outside of Batman books. Some of these are absolute garbage but who knows, hey may sell.

Thankfully, with how the final order cutoff works I have plenty of time to adjust my orders. We were just discussing how DC is a powerhouse in sales for us right now and this is going to probably wreck that for us.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 28, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno. I would look at the creative teams and see which are popular with your customers. More specifically, I'd look at the artists and buy those people like plus maybe by the better writers. I hate to be negative, but I think you're going to get hosed on this no matter how you do it and at best you're going to spend a lot of time to get mediocre results.

Like, I think you're better off leaving money on the table by under-ordering things that might be surprise hits than losing money by over-ordering things that are likely to be garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno. I would look at the creative teams and see which are popular with your customers. More specifically, I'd look at the artists and buy those people like plus maybe by the better writers. I hate to be negative, but I think you're going to get hosed on this no matter how you do it and at best you're going to spend a lot of time to get mediocre results.

Like, I think you're better off leaving money on the table by under-ordering things that might be surprise hits than losing money by over-ordering things that are likely to be garbage.

I really don't see much as far as creators that's going to jump out and appeal to N52 fans (my bread and butter). And you're not being negative, you're being realistic.

Thankfully DC has been very reorderable of late, very rarely is something unavailable after a few weeks. I'm seriously thinking a few as 5 copies of some of these.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Everyone gets the Rucka Question issue. That's all you have to do.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm just going to be requesting certain titles and asking them to hold/cancel the previous titles I picked up before convergence until the whole thing is over.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stock Shazam with a sticker saying "From the team behind Flash Gordon which was short lived because you're all cretins. Yeah, you. Pick up a good comic for once in your life. Jordie Bellaire, people!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I'm just going to be requesting certain titles and asking them to hold/cancel the previous titles I picked up before convergence until the whole thing is over.

I wish every customer would do this but walk-in is like 75% of my comic sales right now.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

redbackground posted:

Everyone gets the Rucka Question issue. That's all you have to do.

Is that out yet?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Trast posted:

Is that out yet?

April 8 in the pre-Flashpoint wave.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I need some input guys.

I'm going to put only the Convergence title itself on my pull list and then I'm going to grab whatever else looks interesting off the shelf as it comes in (if anything comes in, I think the owner of my LCS is as confused about what to order as everyone else). I started reading comics with the New 52, so I don't have any nostalgia or affection for all the older era titles, which makes it pretty tough to get interested in anything outside the main Convergence series.

This is pretty bad for my comic shop because I probably buy 15+ DC books per month now, and obviously that's getting cut by about 75%. The shop is a DC shop, too, so the owner was telling me he's a little worried about sales for those 2 months where all the DC buyers could potentially be buying a small % of what they normally buy, or even nothing if they're the type who skip events.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

I'm going to put only the Convergence title itself on my pull list and then I'm going to grab whatever else looks interesting off the shelf as it comes in (if anything comes in, I think the owner of my LCS is as confused about what to order as everyone else). I started reading comics with the New 52, so I don't have any nostalgia or affection for all the older era titles, which makes it pretty tough to get interested in anything outside the main Convergence series.

This is pretty bad for my comic shop because I probably buy 15+ DC books per month now, and obviously that's getting cut by about 75%. The shop is a DC shop, too, so the owner was telling me he's a little worried about sales for those 2 months where all the DC buyers could potentially be buying a small % of what they normally buy, or even nothing if they're the type who skip events.

DC is absolutely loving this up, I don't see a single one of these even making the top 25 sold. It's like they want to destroy their market share for 2015.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

DC is absolutely loving this up, I don't see a single one of these even making the top 25 sold. It's like they want to destroy their market share for 2015.

On the plus side, I guess they can say 'nobody wants to read about Cassandra Cain/Renee Montaya/Underpants Supes'! :downs:

This is not actually a good thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

On the plus side, I guess they can say 'nobody wants to read about Cassandra Cain/Renee Montaya/Underpants Supes'! :downs:

This is not actually a good thing.

Didio will no doubt use that down the line.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Rhyno posted:

I need some input guys.

I'm planning on it but not because I'm reading Tomasi's B&R but rather because I was reading it before the New 52 as well.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
As far as Convergence goes, you can expect Week One to be very popular because it's basically the era people have been griping about the most since new 52. Stephanie, Renee, Superman/Lois, Oracle, Wally, and so on and so forth. If any Convergence books crack Top 30, I would bet on the Week One books over the others.

The other eras may be hit or miss because most of them would appeal more to older readers and diehard fans. I think asking people to survey when they come in for purchases is a good idea if most of your buyers are walk-ins. And don't forget the main Convergence comic because that's the one that will actually use New 52 characters and setting in the middle of the tie-ins.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Admittedly, I'm sure they too would rather not have to deal with this move and shake-up, and continue to produce 30 Bat-books a month to keep the money flowing in.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's Superman's new costume.

The belt is better at least, don't know what they were thinking with the fingerless gloves though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dacap posted:

The belt is better at least, don't know what they were thinking with the fingerless gloves though.

The gloves almost make it look like the suit is going to slowly cover him and he's in pain because of it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Belt change gives the suit some needed cohesion to makeup for the red underwear, but man the fingerless glove things look really silly. It looks like they're attached to the sleeves and not on their own either, which is even sillier. Also it looks like the way his cape is attached is slightly different, but I wish they got rid of the turtle-neck collar look.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cool, superman's got holes cut in his long-sleeve thermal. Now all he needs is some JNCOs and he's ready for 9th grade.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

lotus circle posted:

Belt change gives the suit some needed cohesion to makeup for the red underwear, but man the fingerless glove things look really silly. It looks like they're attached to the sleeves and not on their own either, which is even sillier. Also it looks like the way his cape is attached is slightly different, but I wish they got rid of the turtle-neck collar look.

The all red belt was my biggest problem with the previous suit too (outside of the unnecessary suit lines).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I was kind of expecting a bigger change on the suit given how it was hyped. Assuming that is the new suit and not just a red herring of course.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've been waiting for something interesting enough to justify such a significant change from the version that's defined the character for ~70 years. Still waiting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, can't he already mentally control how the suit looks?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Shazam's suit in Future's End has unironically been the best New 52 Superman getup.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fingerless gloves are so distracting. Why does he have them?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm more concerned by his 6 fingers on his left hand.

That's just a godawful illustration from the top down.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

Whose father is he going to kill?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The fingerless gloves are so distracting. Why does he have them?

Buy Superman #38 this week for just $4.99 to find out!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 1, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

Buy Superman #38 this week for just $4.99 to find out!
Are they serious? Batman could get away with that for Endgame's first issue because it's already the top selling comic DC is putting out, but Superman sells at half of Batman's numbers at the same price.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

lotus circle posted:

Are they serious? Batman could get away with that for Endgame's first issue because it's already the top selling comic DC is putting out, but Superman sells at half of Batman's numbers at the same price.

Its the final issue of Johns and Romita's arc. Its the same price as an annual and they release those for even less selling books.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

redbackground posted:

Romita's art is just bad in general, but he seems to have a problem with Supermen in particular.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I was kind of expecting a bigger change on the suit given how it was hyped. Assuming that is the new suit and not just a red herring of course.

Yeah, seriously. Honestly I probably wouldn't have even noticed the costume changed if Dacap hadn't pointed out the changes.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm only half way through the story and 11/52 Earth bios, but if you've ever been a DC fan, you ought to pick up the Multiversity Guide Book.

I want a Grant Morrison's Kirby World ongoing quite badly.

e: Pretty much ongoings for everything outlined in the book would be good

ee:

Holy crap I cannot wait for this to come out in trades (I hope this gets included)

Dacap posted:

I find the way his ribs look for too distracting

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So hey good news: they're not finger-less gloves. They're just hand-armor.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now I miss them :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Really? I wasn't aware of that.

I've read some tidbits about some bulletproof vests developed in Korea but that was around 1860, that is more than 300 years after the fall of Tenochtitlan.

Also, did the spanish use the mesoamerican cotton armor beyond the american borders? I don't think there are records of being used on conflicts where guns were common.

Quilted armour made of layered and hardened wool and linen, was in use in Europe at least since the late Antiquity. Rather effective but hot and heavy. Under every coat of steel/iron armour you also usually wore a padded and quilted cloth suit too. Cloth armour wasn't exactly something novel for the European invaders. Only something that has fallen out of fashion, because it was associated with armour for poor people.

• Locked thread