Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Kekekela posted:

I'd recommend to anyone to try at least one competition.

There are a lot of cool things that come form going to comps as far as helping your training along, but also a bunch in terms of meeting a bunch of cool people and hopefully getting some good exciting matches.

(also, contrary to mecha's experience, most of the lovely local tourneys I've been in will give out silvers in a 2 man division, so your dream could become reality...but you're probably gonna do a lot better than you think anyway)

They give out medals for exhibition matches in Judo. At least they do in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

VulgarandStupid posted:

Work on your takedowns. No one at comps have good takedowns, except wrestlers who may be sand bagging to get in your division. We're talking BJJ, right?

This a million times. Though if you're anything like me you'll stuff/land the takedown easily, wind up in a good top position, and then lose anyway.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This a million times. Though if you're anything like me you'll stuff/land the takedown easily, wind up in a good top position, and then lose anyway.

That is my experience as well. *tosses opponent like a rag doll, gets side control, ends up arm-barred with one minute left*

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

cptInsane0 posted:

That is my experience as well. *tosses opponent like a rag doll, gets side control, ends up arm-barred with one minute left*

Then you tell yourself you totally would have won under sambo/catch wrestling/judo/whatever rules to make yourself feel better.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just so you know, most competitions don't give medals for last place. If it's a three-man division, there is no bronze.

Not in my experience, especially for novice divisions. Second out of two? Congrats on your silver medal!

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

VulgarandStupid posted:

Work on your takedowns. No one at comps have good takedowns, except wrestlers who may be sand bagging to get in your division. We're talking BJJ, right?

Yes BJJ and Yes I have 0 takedowns. I mean, in theory I know 2 or 3, but in practice they never work and I kind of just hope the other guy is lazy, botches his attempt, or I pull guard instead.

Truthfully, my gut is telling me to wait for the next comp a few months down the road when maybe I might be a bit more refined, little bit more of a repertoire, and maybe even a technique I feel I'm really good at. As it is I have none of that, and honestly would purely be joining the competition just for the sake of doing it not because I think I have the capability of maybe winning or doing well. It's true I'm probably better than I think I am but I'm also realistic and I never started BJJ with the intention of competing at all. I think it's just everyone else competing and I'm getting swept up in it.

Or that could all be :words: because I'm nervous and don't actually want to do it. :unsmith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If you have the chance to compete, do it. Your training and drills will make way more sense once you've actually been to a competition.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Win or lose, you will never regret going to a competition. They're amazing growth opportunities, helping you discover how you perform under pressure and adding greater perspective to your time on the mats. Compete at every opportunity (within health/budget constraints, ofc) and you will be a happy grappler.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

A Wry Smile posted:

Win or lose, you will never regret going to a competition. They're amazing growth opportunities, helping you discover how you perform under pressure and adding greater perspective to your time on the mats. Compete at every opportunity (within health/budget constraints, ofc) and you will be a happy grappler.

I thought the same until this last weekend when I got kneed in the face really loving hard and then had an armbar cranked on me and now it hurts a lot to straighten my arm.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

The Darlok posted:

I thought the same until this last weekend when I got kneed in the face really loving hard and then had an armbar cranked on me and now it hurts a lot to straighten my arm.

It's a combat sport. What did you expect?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Ughhhh.... A five day BJJ seminar with Michael Langhi was starting today and now I caught a cold. Nice. Oh well... Maybe it's some 24h bug and I can take part in the weekend lessons.

Anyway. What do you guys do for strength training to help with your grappling?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I do kettle bells

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

General Emergency posted:

I don't much grapple these days... but Starting Strength.. That's what they do. Rarrrgh. I do a modified 5x5 myself right now though, just because.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ughhhh.... A five day BJJ seminar with Michael Langhi was starting today and now I caught a cold. Nice. Oh well... Maybe it's some 24h bug and I can take part in the weekend lessons.

Light weights, but I've largely moved away from powerlifting and focus more on balance and mobility.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

What do you guys do for strength training to help with your grappling?

I used to do stripped 5x5 (a modified starting-strength), back when I had convenient access to a good gym with free-weights.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm also doing a modified 5x5 with weights in my house, you really don't need much equipment

For anyone interested here are 2 amazing threads:
Starting Strength Thread
Form Check Thread

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 29, 2015

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I really got tired of SS and 5x5 because that'S way too much squatting if you're doing a lot of MA during the week. Now I do Candito Linear Program and it's been great. I love the flexibility/diversity while still keeping the focus on the big lifts and getting stronger. Link : http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-strength-programs/

I also do some yoga, sport (volley ball mostly) and try to work on my mobility and flexibility any time I can since I'm getting older (I'm still only 29 but I can see how age affects me and I want to limit that as much as possible)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KingColliwog posted:

I really got tired of SS and 5x5 because that'S way too much squatting if you're doing a lot of MA during the week.

I just dropped the squats and did something else instead, or really light, explosive, squats.

edit: ya'll thinking about supplementing your training with weights, you don't have to follow the programs like a slave, if something starts to hinder you down or otherwise fucks with you, just drop that part, but it's really useful though to have someone more experienced to give you a hand while at it

Ligur fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 29, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This is a variation of Starting Strength that has fewer squats in it:
http://www.pendlay.com/MMA-Strength-Training-and-Conditioning_df_91.html

I like 'westside for skinny bastards' a lot personally, because it's heavily customizable and has an intense four-day split for when you're not training, and then a more reasonable two-day split for when you are. The four day one is a lot like a bodybuilding program but it strengthens injury-prone areas, and I usually spend a few months a year not training anyway, like right now I can't afford to train because I ragequit a job in december with no replacement lined up.

Looks like it's not up on Defranco's site anymore so I dropboxed it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46637085/WS4SB.pdf

But yeah it's a very adaptable template that you can mess around with to suit your needs once you understand it.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Any advice/drills etc for defense in boxing? I was sparring with a guy that was going really heavy tonight, I only held my own because he telegraphed really badly

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rabhadh posted:

Any advice/drills etc for defense in boxing? I was sparring with a guy that was going really heavy tonight, I only held my own because he telegraphed really badly

Move out of the way when he telegraphs. Proactively bait him into committing to a punch and then don't be there.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

It's a combat sport. What did you expect?

Seriously? I've been training for 4 years and that was my 7th tournament. I expect people to have enough control over themselves to not blatantly smash someone in the face and then crank a sub as hard as they can, and well it'd be nice if refs ever did a drat thing. If you're someone who would do that please never loving compete.

e: To clarify, I started tapping as soon (including vocally) as he had the armbar. The rear end in a top hat cranked it so hard that by the time that he started to let go it felt like he tore something. There is absolutely no reason you have to try to break someone's limb in a small tournament in a blue belt division. Especially after loving kneeing them in the face.

The Darlok fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 30, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is a variation of Starting Strength that has fewer squats in it:
http://www.pendlay.com/MMA-Strength-Training-and-Conditioning_df_91.html

I think I'll pick this program up. I've been doing Starting Strength since around November and it's been working OK. But now that I can do BJJ again, bike everywhere and am on my feet anyway every day I've hit the limits of recovery. I like kettlebells too but have no idea what to do for progression with them.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Rabhadh posted:

Have someone punch you in the face repeatedly. So hard that it hurts. While you attempt to do something that makes it hurt less. Without moving back O_o

Is it it fun? No.

Does it help? Yes.

Does it possibly cause brain damage in the future? Also yes.

So pretty much like what that guy did. Just take a deep breath and block and weave your rear end outta the way. If you don't want braindamage (I can't imagine who wouldn't tho?) just have someone step in with a jab + cross combo for the length of the gym, and them do it the otherwise around, walk at him/her while they throw the one-two combo at your forehead while you slip and constatnly step forward. Also practice rounds of someone assaulting your head with 30% punches in a constant stream while you dodge, block and weave. (The hardest part of this drill? To find someone who can consistently throw at 30% but at full speed without losing control completely.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Another self-defense scenario caught on tape. For once, given the proximity of the cameraperson and the limited field of view, I prefer the vertica aspect ratio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27FH-nXP1xU
The title says 0-100 real quick, but obvious you can see the guy telegraphing the punch. The defender certainly saw it coming. Everyone else was looking do deescalate instead of joining in, which is good. Though the real water on the fire was some official "teacher voice" piping up and killing the machismo.

Read this only after you've watched the video, just to keep out bias in your assessment:
More notes, ranking the defender as a Alliance purple belt: http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/blog/jiu-jitsu-guy-got-sucker-punched-while-playing-basketball-and-used-bjj-for-self-defense/

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I enjoyed the bjj classes I've been too and all but I keep thinking that if that happened to me there is no way I'd want to end up on the ground surrounded by the other guys friends. Judo will at least leave me still standing (I hope)

e: no doubt bjj is effective though

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I don't think you'd want to get surrounded by the other guys friends standing or not. You do need to train quick changes in direction for judo though so that'll help with runthefuckaway-jutsu.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dude did well from the fight perspective. Failed the self defense aspect by getting into the fight by escalating the words with the dude in the first place. Alliance apparently thinks that member did them proud lol.

What I saw before the fight itself: BJJ dude started talking poo poo with the guy, and continued talking poo poo with the guy, gets sucker punched.

Edit: lol commentators armchair quarter backing saying to snap that dudes knee. People need to 420 more.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 1, 2015

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

KildarX posted:

Edit: lol commentators armchair quarter backing saying to snap that dudes knee. People need to 420 more.

Lel a broken knee here lands you in jail for a long time plus a substantial payout for the injured( a broken orbital bone cost 22 months in jail and a 6000€ fee to a dude who didn't want to be robbed, funny thing he only had his mobile phone with him and it was worthless piece of poo poo )

There are a lot boodthirsty people out there with no grasp of reality.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The "you'll never play basketball again" threat was pretty chilling and seemed to get the other guy to stop trying to hit him. He failed in actually de-escalating the situation since they actually started fighting but I think it went about as well as it could have in a self defense situation.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It was his call to grapple after blocking the punch. Tbh, from that moment, if I were in his shoes, I'd have made the same call -- to keep fighting assuming everyone else in the court would not get involved. On the whole, this was not a very violent situation, maybe 2/10. I don't think I would have been worried for my own safety through any of that, and in that mindset, I'd have been more willing to go 1-on-1 to prove a point.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

kimbo305 posted:

Another self-defense scenario caught on tape. For once, given the proximity of the cameraperson and the limited field of view, I prefer the vertica aspect ratio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27FH-nXP1xU
The title says 0-100 real quick, but obvious you can see the guy telegraphing the punch. The defender certainly saw it coming. Everyone else was looking do deescalate instead of joining in, which is good. Though the real water on the fire was some official "teacher voice" piping up and killing the machismo.

Read this only after you've watched the video, just to keep out bias in your assessment:
More notes, ranking the defender as a Alliance purple belt: http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/blog/jiu-jitsu-guy-got-sucker-punched-while-playing-basketball-and-used-bjj-for-self-defense/

Just for fun:
Mr. Alliance provokes the altercation, “I’ll whoop your rear end!” stands his ground until the last second and then dodges the obvious punch and reaches in for double unders to pull the other guy down on top of him into half guard. The other guy tries to push away and create some space, but Mr. A climbs to his back and, failing to sink a RNC, starts punching the back of his head. At this point the teammates jump in and start peeling Mr. A off, but he triangles his legs and catches an armlock as the other guy is turning back toward him. The other guy throws another weak punch to try and get free, but then is forced to stack Mr. A to pull out of the tightening armlock, as Mr. A transitions to an ankle lock and ends up sweeping to 50/50 and furiously threatening to break the trapped knee.

Grading:
D- on conflict de-escalation
C- on takedowns
C on sub attempts
B+ on transitions

Comments: Considering the string of failed sub attempts, I can’t imagine that Mr. A really posed much of a threat to the knee from 50/50. Better would have been double unders to posture and clinch, with a controlled trip or throw if he’s still flailing to punch from clinch.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 1, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I dunno if it were me I'd do my best to get to side control or something and just hold the guy there until he got tired instead of trying to chain sub attempts and injure him. It's an rear end in a top hat move to try and heel hook a dude when you were trying to escalate the confrontation every step of the way.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
No harm no foul. A girl showed up and they all went to timeout. A good fight.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I feel like panic-grabbing the guy was the right move, but immediately falling like poo poo was the wrong move. Like his first instinct was right, but his first conscious decision was wrong.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Everyone knows pulling half guard should be your go-to move for tha streetz.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Having those big basketball sneakers on really affects your guard game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

love analyzing 30 sec street fight clips

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

love analyzing 30 sec street fight clips

It's a real life fight where one of the participants was trained. I thought it was educational, given the real dearth of video of confrontations / self defense where one party has any training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh no thanks for posting I definitely watched it. It's just all over Facebook now and the comments are lol and people analyzing the gently caress out of it

• Locked thread