Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
what are some good mods to use with this latest update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Speedball posted:

Been over a year since I tried out Starbound. Looks like they got rid of all the pickaxes and just went with the Matter Manipulator as your default tool for all occasions, huh? I can't complain, keeping track of a billion picks was annoying.

Pickaxes still exist. They mine faster than the MM (at least until it's upgraded) but can't be repaired and have low durability. They're kinda like weird power-ups, now. If you just want to flip out and mine a bunch of stuff really fast you bust out a pickaxe.

They're also pretty common loot in chests, so you probably won't need to spend any metal making your own.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rocketlex posted:

Pickaxes still exist. They mine faster than the MM (at least until it's upgraded) but can't be repaired and have low durability. They're kinda like weird power-ups, now. If you just want to flip out and mine a bunch of stuff really fast you bust out a pickaxe.

They're also pretty common loot in chests, so you probably won't need to spend any metal making your own.

Instead of pickaxes they should be laser-goggles. Either consumable like they are now, or hell you could even have it be an item that uses ore as fuel and digs faster & bigger if you fuel it with better ore.

Or poo poo, I guess if you're going to do that then don't even make a separate item. Just let players put ore into the MM as "fuel", that gives you a temp buff. A million times more streamlined, and also more sci-fi to boot.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

XboxPants posted:

Instead of pickaxes they should be laser-goggles. Either consumable like they are now, or hell you could even have it be an item that uses ore as fuel and digs faster & bigger if you fuel it with better ore.

Or poo poo, I guess if you're going to do that then don't even make a separate item. Just let players put ore into the MM as "fuel", that gives you a temp buff. A million times more streamlined, and also more sci-fi to boot.

Have the player use ore to create different kinds of focusing lenses for the MM and they break down as you use them, if you have to make the player craft their temporary buffs.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I took this out of the cold storage after like a year (this is a common theme isn't it) and my starter planet was a mushroom land with pixie wings and magic mushroom armor. I look like the most ridiculous fairy in all the meanings.

Also I have a crossbow for some reason!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

zgrowler2 posted:

The time-out is bad, yeah. I'm running the religious bird staff and the human one; both are pretty good. Also have the Floran one, dunno how I feel about it.

Coordinates for Extreme Avian ship (has treasure map and Toucan armor):
X: 19445727
Y: 61080310

Beta Eta Ser 09 I
Go right from the spawn point. Constant dashing gets you there in a couple of minutes.

If you go left it's 20 seconds.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dely Apple posted:

I took this out of the cold storage after like a year (this is a common theme isn't it) and my starter planet was a mushroom land with pixie wings and magic mushroom armor. I look like the most ridiculous fairy in all the meanings.

Also I have a crossbow for some reason!

Wow, weird. I thought all the starter worlds were earthlike. Neat.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Insead of pickaxes it should be loving anything that is more modern and fitting into space. God drat expandable modules you put into your MM. Anything!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Have the player use ore to create different kinds of focusing lenses for the MM and they break down as you use them, if you have to make the player craft their temporary buffs.

I'd have both a lens and battery slot on it, if you can mod that in. Have the batteries drain a certain amount from your energy bar in exchange for making the MM massively more efficient and powerful, and have the lenses focus on different types of scenery- one type for metallic, one for dirt/sand, one for clay, one for water, one for lava, one for soft rock, one for tougher rock, stuff like that.

Then while spelunking through some mossy caves you might come across a granite patch in a wall full of shiny ore, you'd think "aha!" and switch in your Super Granite Mining Lens, hoover up the ore then go back to your Mossy Dirt Removal Lens and carry on your merry way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cryohazard posted:

I'd have both a lens and battery slot on it, if you can mod that in. Have the batteries drain a certain amount from your energy bar in exchange for making the MM massively more efficient and powerful, and have the lenses focus on different types of scenery- one type for metallic, one for dirt/sand, one for clay, one for water, one for lava, one for soft rock, one for tougher rock, stuff like that.

Then while spelunking through some mossy caves you might come across a granite patch in a wall full of shiny ore, you'd think "aha!" and switch in your Super Granite Mining Lens, hoover up the ore then go back to your Mossy Dirt Removal Lens and carry on your merry way.

Only if it comes with an improvement to the godawful UI, because I would find that more annoying currently due to having to fiddle with the terrible inventory constantly.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Wow, weird. I thought all the starter worlds were earthlike. Neat.

They can have a mushroom biome. Mine had a mushroom people village even, managed to get a pretty good automatic shotgun.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

This should probably be added to the OP, btw

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Only if it comes with an improvement to the godawful UI, because I would find that more annoying currently due to having to fiddle with the terrible inventory constantly.

Ideally having the MM in left or right mouse slot would present two slots within or beneath it, the clicking of either would have a dropdown box full of lenses or batteries dependent on which.

You could even have upgrades that allow you to fit multiple lenses (allowing you to cycle between a set of 2-4 with hotkeys) or multiple batteries (to stack their effects and possibly unique bonus mods.)

I wouldn't have the lenses break, but I would have them deteriorate in efficiency down to a point so that you're not going to be hosed because they break, but you are going to want to replace them if/when you get the opportunity. It'd be cool if you could turn it into a weapon in itself- not a great one, but a novel one. Like W:tNO's LKW.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So the Dreadwing fight is super annoying and unfun. Any suggestions for how to get past this thing?
I could see the fight being interesting if he had 1/3 or even half the health, but this is just a slog.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JerikTelorian posted:

So the Dreadwing fight is super annoying and unfun. Any suggestions for how to get past this thing?
I could see the fight being interesting if he had 1/3 or even half the health, but this is just a slog.

If you have a ranged weapon, you can cheese the fight by shooting him from far enough away that he won't engage you.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Dreadwing was nothing compared to the weapon test facility :(

Also I'm having lots of fun having fired up this game again, despite it being a "stable" build.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

Walk a little bit to the right and kill all the penguins surrounding a small pool of water with the land sloping up on the right side. Agro dreadwing. Go back to the pool and crouch in it with your strongest titanium melee weapon equipped. When he dives down, hit him with it. A lot if his attacks will miss. After he takes some damage he'll start slamming down right on top of you giving you the opportunity to hit him a lot of times. Shouldn't take too long. :)

Also the thing with mining lenses, batteries etc. sounds really, really tedious, I hope that Tiy doesn't occasionally pop into this thread anymore. :saddowns:

edit: phone spellcheck ugh

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 1, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Is there a mod that makes pickaxes not break? Because that sounds like the dumbest idea that does nothing but add tedium to the game for no reason

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015
I like the idea of lenses but batteries seems incredibly tedious. The idea that the lenses take the effective inventory space of your drills/pick axes is a good one. Essentially you're just replacing one consumable with another to achieve a more sci-fi feel.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

If you're going to mod pickaxes to not break, why not just ignore them and mod the MM to be faster.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Shevmo posted:

I like the idea of lenses but batteries seems incredibly tedious. The idea that the lenses take the effective inventory space of your drills/pick axes is a good one. Essentially you're just replacing one consumable with another to achieve a more sci-fi feel.

Having lenses take the role of picks and drills sounds cool. Make lenses do the job of picks, and focused lenses do the job of drills. Since you need to make drills in a replicator anyway explain it away with, I dunno...nanotech lenses or some poo poo. Makes more sense than using a replicator to make a drill.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I feel like pick axes are unnecessary at this point. The M.M. is actually very good now. What they need to do is make explosions not destroy ore. This would also make Cole not useless because obviously gunpowder would be used to craft bombs. Drills can stay tho, there pretty cool IMO.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I feel like pick axes are unnecessary at this point. The M.M. is actually very good now. What they need to do is make explosions not destroy ore. This would also make Cole not useless because obviously gunpowder would be used to craft bombs. Drills can stay tho, there pretty cool IMO.

It doesn't even need to be fully upgraded, I've gotten as far as the second mining power upgrade that you need Durasteel for and it just flys through rock. I can't wait to get the last one.

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015

THE loving MOON posted:

It doesn't even need to be fully upgraded, I've gotten as far as the second mining power upgrade that you need Durasteel for and it just flys through rock. I can't wait to get the last one.

It's amazing. I love that it goes 4x4, means you can go sideways without needing to adjust placement much. I still swap to diamond drill when I hit magmarock and obsidian since it takes a hundred years to M.M. through.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
One major problem is that until the rubium/aegisalt/volium tier, there's no meaningful choices of equipment. You just pick the next upgrade and move on, while later on the different things you can choose have different stats. That kind of thing should probably happen earlier.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Lenses would be easy to justify using existing resources, just have early tier lenses be glass in a frame of whatever metal, and later ones be diamond in higher tier metal modules, then you just have to say they're exhausted when the metal burns up or something. Would give a good reason to go after resources that aren't used for much any more.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Slime posted:

One major problem is that until the rubium/aegisalt/volium tier, there's no meaningful choices of equipment. You just pick the next upgrade and move on, while later on the different things you can choose have different stats. That kind of thing should probably happen earlier.

I didn't know that it branches at all. The next thing on my list is to build the replicator.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

"I teleported to my spaceship in orbit to make another pickaxe to mine this futuristic space ore"

this is stupid

the entire premise of pickaxes is stupid in a space game

Cryohazard posted:

Hahaha, yeah let's make mining even more tedious.

Just rewrite the MM upgrade quest to include lenses in it, there, you now have lenses.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

I didn't know that it branches at all. The next thing on my list is to build the replicator.

After you beat the mission where you have to make a full set of durasteel armour, you get a choice of 3 different weapon/armour crafting tables. One focuses on ranged combat/high energy, one focuses on melee/high defence, one is mixed.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also rope needs a durability meter. I love the climbing rope in this game, it just sucks using up 1 rope every time I want to climb up or down something our swing across a gap... Our would also make me less inclined to just use the 8 Quinton dirt to bridge a gap or help me climb.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Slime posted:

Agreed

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One thing I find silly is that there are so many crafting stations. Why not divide it into 3? Regular materials, food, and maybe fabrics? I don't like trying to remember what station lets me craft what. Just let me upgrade the crafting table, and we're good!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One thing I find silly is that there are so many crafting stations. Why not divide it into 3? Regular materials, food, and maybe fabrics? I don't like trying to remember what station lets me craft what. Just let me upgrade the crafting table, and we're good!

yea, try out the Tabula Rasa mod if its updated, its really nice and you can make everything from one station

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yo, someone please spoil the mining outpost boss fight for me. I just don't feel like finding out on my own when it's so easy to die to the loving thing without having any checkpoints in the mission itself. Killing 40+(That's where I stopped counting) pink guys once was tedious enough, I don't want to do it a third time. When it comes to the mission itself, I can now see why people bitched about it. I was lucky enough to find a fire crossbow before going there, and killing the pink guys in three shoots with a good rate of fire is okay. Not fun, but okay. Of course it then swings into tedious when you realize that the dungeon is fairly big and filled to the brim with pinks.

Otherwise, I tend to side with the folks that hate on the early fetch quest chain, because it's just tedious atm. LIke, I get that the devs want to show you how to make glass and steel, but currently it's just busy work. And what the hell is the purpose of bug catching besides that first fetch quest? Really hope that whole quest chain gets ditched or improved.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Explosions destroy ore? :psyduck:

It's like they played Terraria and thought "how can we make this less fun"

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tin Tim posted:

Yo, someone please spoil the mining outpost boss fight for me. I just don't feel like finding out on my own when it's so easy to die to the loving thing without having any checkpoints in the mission itself. Killing 40+(That's where I stopped counting) pink guys once was tedious enough, I don't want to do it a third time. When it comes to the mission itself, I can now see why people bitched about it. I was lucky enough to find a fire crossbow before going there, and killing the pink guys in three shoots with a good rate of fire is okay. Not fun, but okay. Of course it then swings into tedious when you realize that the dungeon is fairly big and filled to the brim with pinks.

Otherwise, I tend to side with the folks that hate on the early fetch quest chain, because it's just tedious atm. LIke, I get that the devs want to show you how to make glass and steel, but currently it's just busy work. And what the hell is the purpose of bug catching besides that first fetch quest? Really hope that whole quest chain gets ditched or improved.

Run around the boss hitting the 4 switches then the one below it. Use a shield when a beam is about to hit you. Remember to eat bandages or apply food so you get some more healing if you do get hit.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also rope needs a durability meter. I love the climbing rope in this game, it just sucks using up 1 rope every time I want to climb up or down something our swing across a gap... Our would also make me less inclined to just use the 8 Quinton dirt to bridge a gap or help me climb.

Later on you can craft an infinitely reusable grappling hook.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So the new human durasteel armor is cool, but I really liked the older Outrider's Set, which looked a good bit like ODST armor. Does anyone know if the old models hung around at all?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Suaimhneas posted:

Explosions destroy ore? :psyduck:

It's like they played Terraria and thought "how can we make this less fun"

You get nothing from an explosion it just deletes all that out hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Suaimhneas posted: