Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pickled Tink posted:

You can get him to admit the kuei Jin alliance though. If you try to blackmail him over it he starts to order the sheriff to kill you and you hastily back down.

I think there was an alliance, but I also think that both sides knew perfectly well that it was only going to last until one of them thought up a good betrayal first. Hence why both sides sent minions to get the sarcophagus from the Giovanni and fought to the death over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Oh, just remembered; in that mall area, I know the one store is a spoof on A&W and the other is Hungry Howie's, but what's Extreme Tofu supposed to be?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You can call LaCroix out on the alliance and he responds with something like "yes it's true, but it's water under the bridge now". One of the alternate endings for Melissa also shows how desperate LaCroix is, though even that may be just disguising personal hunger.

Relating to escape chat, what are the other ways PC could escape? I presume in tabletop Gangrel could turn into bat and fly away, but are Celerity dots here enough to run down the wall?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GuyUpNorth posted:

Relating to escape chat, what are the other ways PC could escape? I presume in tabletop Gangrel could turn into bat and fly away, but are Celerity dots here enough to run down the wall?

A Gangrel could also turn into a cloud of mist and just float away. Would probably be safer. Running down a wall is generally not something celerity can do, but it or potence would probably give you enough air to make it to the roof of a nearby building. And with Fortitude like Melissa's you could probably tank jumping down to the street with out a problem.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

tlarn posted:

Oh, just remembered; in that mall area, I know the one store is a spoof on A&W and the other is Hungry Howie's, but what's Extreme Tofu supposed to be?

a pizza placed called Extreme Pizza

http://www.extremepizza.com/

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
I thought it was just making fun of tofu in that it's fairly "limp-wristed" so calling it "extreme" is a joke. Maybe that's just me though.

Edit: I just looked at the above company's logo and I now think it's a combination of both.

DankRhymer fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 1, 2015

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Stroth posted:

And with Fortitude like Melissa's you could probably tank jumping down to the street with out a problem.
Not entirely without a problem. It's still a pretty obvious Masquerade violation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

fairly certain that a giant bat picking up people and cars to throw them at a skyscraper rooftop trumps any masquerade violation the pc can pull off.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Also, unless you had potence getting through the window in the first place could be tricky--those panes are probably storm panel rated. If you shot them enough you could get through, but time is a factor...and regardless of how much celerity you have you only fall at 9.8m/s2, which might not be enough time to avoid the blast wave even if you could just hop out.

Plus it's a reaction time question. You open this ancient sarcophagus and you're primed to expect some undead horror or similar, but instead you see enough C4 to make a Wallace and Gromit movie, a note, and a timer. By the time you're over your shock and have processed this (and how hosed you are) you could be halfway through the timer.

Well played, Jack.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You wouldn't have to get below the blast, just far enough away from it. Enough Celerity and you could pick out a nearby rooftop to aim for.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I think the whole "Caine couldn't have been there in LA during Bloodlines because of the stuff in the novel" theory is utter bullshit. It's been widely established that Caine is almost literally one step below God. In one of the Gehenna scenarios he even speaks on an even level with Lucifer (who is, in this case, definitely much weaker than he was eons ago). So it's not a stretch to think he could be in two places at the same time, there's plenty of disciplines that allow that in one form or another. drat, in the Gehenna novel he even changes someone else's, specifically Beckett's, aura, simple possession/teleportation/whateverthefuck should be simple for this dude.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

placid saviour posted:

I think the whole "Caine couldn't have been there in LA during Bloodlines because of the stuff in the novel" theory is utter bullshit. It's been widely established that Caine is almost literally one step below God. In one of the Gehenna scenarios he even speaks on an even level with Lucifer (who is, in this case, definitely much weaker than he was eons ago). So it's not a stretch to think he could be in two places at the same time, there's plenty of disciplines that allow that in one form or another. drat, in the Gehenna novel he even changes someone else's, specifically Beckett's, aura, simple possession/teleportation/whateverthefuck should be simple for this dude.

Not only are there disciplines that could do something like that, but it's been established that Caine can literally make new disciplines up on the fly.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So, why do we consider Cain(e) cursed again? Does he have like eternal toothache that he can't cure or something. Because it seems to me that God rewarded him for managing to one-up Abel's animal sacrifice with Abel's sacrifice, and just called it a curse for PR.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
He's an eternal fugitive and wanderer, who can never have a family, never stay in one place, and never grow anything from the Earth.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OAquinas posted:

Plus it's a reaction time question. You open this ancient sarcophagus and you're primed to expect some undead horror or similar, but instead you see enough C4 to make a Wallace and Gromit movie, a note, and a timer. By the time you're over your shock and have processed this (and how hosed you are) you could be halfway through the timer.
You're expecting something nasty to be in there, are you saying you wouldn't be ready to run?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Tiggum posted:

You're expecting something nasty to be in there, are you saying you wouldn't be ready to run?

Psht. Of course the PC isn't gonna run. The PC has killed everything they've gone up against--maybe even things they should have run from I.E. the Werewolf.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Is Melissa's Fortitude high enough to simply weather the blast, maybe sending her into torpor but still surviving?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, the expectation for the sarcophagus for everybody that opens it is that there's a Methuselah in there, or even an Antediluvian. If by some chance that fucker wakes up, you've got to be ready to run and run fast. Plus, since vampires are essentially humans 2.0 when it comes to things like reaction time, so they should be able to make it unless something prevents them from going fast (LaCroix getting cut up, for instance).

BenRGamer posted:

Psht. No. The PC has killed everything they've gone up against--maybe even things they should have run from I.E. the Werewolf.

There's things you should run from (i.E. werewolves) and then there's things where you shouldn't even run because it doesn't loving matter and you're already dead, though you're still going to try (an Elder coming out of a long-time torpor with a MASSIVE loving hunger).

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Kulkasha posted:

Is Melissa's Fortitude high enough to simply weather the blast, maybe sending her into torpor but still surviving?

That much C4? Probably not. There's so much fire and force you're looking at a shitload of aggravated damage. Fortitude 5 could, if you're lucky, soak 5 points of damage. But unless you're only taking another 6 levels of damage, you're dead and gone.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Wanderer posted:

He's an eternal fugitive and wanderer, who can never have a family, never stay in one place, and never grow anything from the Earth.

To add to this: everything he does is destined to blow up in his face, unless he's trolling someone and even then it's best to keep the prank brief.
Found/take over the city of Enoch and it looks like life is good again? His grandkids eat his kids (and probably try to eat him too) then the Boss triggers the Great Deluge anyway.
Then the grandkids and great-grandkids keep loving up in a manner that's uncomfortably close to how he hosed up with Abel.

Strictly speaking, vampirization was not even included in God's original curse, Caine just found Lilith after being exiled and she turned him after his request for power. The vampiric weaknesses (fire, sun, Beast) are from three angels each offering Caine a chance of redemption and further cursing him for each rejection.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Vicissitude posted:

That much C4? Probably not. There's so much fire and force you're looking at a shitload of aggravated damage. Fortitude 5 could, if you're lucky, soak 5 points of damage. But unless you're only taking another 6 levels of damage, you're dead and gone.

It's safe to say Jack is very familiar with what it takes to kill a vamp and how fast they are. That coffin is definitely loaded up with rules lawyers in mind.

Disco Infiva posted:

So, why do we consider Cain(e) cursed again? Does he have like eternal toothache that he can't cure or something. Because it seems to me that God rewarded him for managing to one-up Abel's animal sacrifice with Abel's sacrifice, and just called it a curse for PR.

It's like crushing depression. You can be king of the world and none of it feels good. Add onto that a few millennia of more failure compounding it and your inability to end it or change it when you get so low and it's a real bad curse.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
5 dots of Fort mean you'd automatically soak five of those ten falling-damage dice anyway, right?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 1, 2015

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Zephro posted:

5 dots of Fort mean you'd automatically soak five of those ten falling-damage dice anyway, right?

Nope! Trust me, if Fortitude was an automatic success in tabletop things would be great! But it's not; you have to roll it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Disco Infiva posted:

Hell, even something as simple sounding as an eternal toothache could be devastating, if we allow that because it is divine it never just falls into the background. You live forever but every day, all day, you feel a nagging, distracting, pain and nothing you do ever makes it go away. And if you do manage to distract yourself from it for a moment, all that does is remind you of how good you felt, even on your worst days, before the curse.

I don't want that toothache.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zephro posted:

Nope. Fortitude just adds additional dice as part of your soak pool in tabletop, which sucks by comparison to Potence (which can add automatic successes).

e;f,b.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Ah, sorry. Seems like the website I was looking at was full of weird house rules, of which that was one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I always assumed that Jack set the timer to be juuust long enough for someone to read the note and have it sink in.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UnwiseTrout posted:

Hell, even something as simple sounding as an eternal toothache could be devastating, if we allow that because it is divine it never just falls into the background. You live forever but every day, all day, you feel a nagging, distracting, pain and nothing you do ever makes it go away. And if you do manage to distract yourself from it for a moment, all that does is remind you of how good you felt, even on your worst days, before the curse.

I don't want that toothache.

Replace toothache with "thirst for blood" and you get an idea of Caine's existence.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
A Malkavian would just start pulling wires.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
A Malkavian would search WikiHow of Darkness for a guide on bomb-whispering and disarm it that way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Grout is the taxi driver.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The best part of that ending is really how Jack has the mummy propped up in a cheap-rear end lawn chair.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
When Jack says something like giving a gently caress about devil in life, why would a long-dead king be any different?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

MartianAgitator posted:

Or remember that (s)he was the one who trapped the sarcophagus all the way back on Elizabeth Dane.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

MartianAgitator posted:

A Malkavian would clutch his head and scream at the bomb to stop making that horrible ticking noise, causing the bomb to disable itself.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
If lower gen vampires feed off vampire vitae and that's why everyone's so afraid of the antediluvians, how has Caine not eaten all of LA over the duration of the game? Is there ever anything given for it in some splatbook or something or is it basically just "idk it's Caine man."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AzureSkye posted:

If lower gen vampires feed off vampire vitae and that's why everyone's so afraid of the antediluvians, how has Caine not eaten all of LA over the duration of the game? Is there ever anything given for it in some splatbook or something or is it basically just "idk it's Caine man."

Caine is as far beyond the Antediluvians as the Antediluvians are beyond mortals and higher-generation vampires. His powers are essentially limitless and his motivations unfathomable. Trying to ascribe either motives or rules to Caine is a waste of time. Remember the character sheet:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AzureSkye posted:

Basically Caine's version of the curse is different, since he has it 100% as it came from God, not diluted.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

ulmont posted:

Caine is as far beyond the Antediluvians as the Antediluvians are beyond mortals and higher-generation vampires. His powers are essentially limitless and his motivations unfathomable. Trying to ascribe either motives or rules to Caine is a waste of time. Remember the character sheet:

I still love the weakness bit.

I'm guessing the "chronicle" space is just for whatever campaign the character's in, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

tlarn posted:

I still love the weakness bit.

I'm guessing the "chronicle" space is just for whatever campaign the character's in, yeah?
Yeah.

quote:

Chronicle: This is the series of linked stores in which the character participates. Your Storyteller will provide you with the name of the chronicle (though he may need your help in deciding!).
Note that the Storyteller is "he," although basically everywhere else in V:tM "she" is used by default, including 8 other times on the same page...

• Locked thread