Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Basically, they support the highest level of government that doesn't tell them that they can't mistreat minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

He's just really bad at tracing:

Here's the trailer still he used for the other panel:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Begemot posted:

REA
DY4
XL
IX

I would support a drugs pipeline, but a syrup pipeline would still present the problem of catastrophic spills :ohdear:

Just ask Boston.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Both desegregation and pre-civil war nullification, back before Abraham Lincoln kicked the South's asses and asserted the primacy of the Federal Government, but yeah.

See, the State's Rights crowd loves bringing up the Nullification Crisis as proof that the Civil War wasn't really about slavery and such, but it's worth remembering that the crisis happened in 1832, a full generation before the Civil War. By the 1850s, opinion in the South had largely shifted to being against states rights. When it came to the question of whether new states should be "Free" or "Slave" states, they favored arbitrary geographical boundaries (that would have made the whole Southwest into slave states) rather than letting the new states decide for themselves. Most glaringly, they objected stridently to Northern attempts to nullify the Fugitive Slave Act and embraced the same logic of federal supremacy that Jackson used during the Crisis. Lincoln opposed the FSA, so his victory in the election suggested that he'd leave the question of its enforcement to the states. This was intolerable to the Southern aristocracy (who had only recently ceased to dominate the federal government), so they tried to secede and created a new federal government that, in many ways, had considerably less respect for state's rights than the USA. So the question of "state's right's" is a whole hell of a lot murkier than the neo-confederates would have you believe.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Duckbag posted:

See, the State's Rights crowd loves bringing up the Nullification Crisis as proof that the Civil War wasn't really about slavery and such, but it's worth remembering that the crisis happened in 1832, a full generation before the Civil War. By the 1850s, opinion in the South had largely shifted to being against states rights. When it came to the question of whether new states should be "Free" or "Slave" states, they favored arbitrary geographical boundaries (that would have made the whole Southwest into slave states) rather than letting the new states decide for themselves. Most glaringly, they objected stridently to Northern attempts to nullify the Fugitive Slave Act and embraced the same logic of federal supremacy that Jackson used during the Crisis. Lincoln opposed the FSA, so his victory in the election suggested that he'd leave the question of its enforcement to the states. This was intolerable to the Southern aristocracy (who had only recently ceased to dominate the federal government), so they tried to secede and created a new federal government that, in many ways, had considerably less respect for state's rights than the USA. So the question of "state's right's" is a whole hell of a lot murkier than the neo-confederates would have you believe.

And of course, the whole "states don't have the right to choose against slavery" thing then got codified into the CSA constitution.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Technowolf posted:

Mississippi is currently building two museums - one for general state history and one for the civil rights movement (They're separate but equal! :rimshot:).

I know almost nothing about Mississippi politics. Assuming this isn't a snide joke (it's probably a snide joke), is this really a thing? I mean, if they are building two museums, is it really separate but equal, or is it a recognition that the civil rights movement was so important it deserves it's own museum? Again, 90% certain it's just a joke! but really curious if it's an actual issue...

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

And of course, the whole "states don't have the right to choose against slavery" thing then got codified into the CSA constitutions.

As much as the thread hates JJ, he did a nice (if really ugly) writeup of the differences between the CSA and US Constitution.

Relevant part of his summary

quote:

Overall, the CSA constitution does not radically alter the federal system that was set up under the United States constitution. It is thus very debatable as to whether the CSA was a significantly more pro-"states' rights" country (as supporters claim) in any meaningful sense. At least three states rights are explicitly taken away- the freedom of states to grant voting rights to non-citizens, the freedom of states to outlaw slavery within their borders, and the freedom of states to trade freely with each other.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

I know we talked about that terrible Muir a lot, but can someone give us the summary of what the roles of those "five jihadi generals" were that got traded for Bergdahl?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I remember one was a cop.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
thefive? thefire?

http://archives.slc.edu/exhibits/mccarthyism/img/lg/AcademicFreedom_AmericanLegionMagazine.jpg

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Oh gently caress you Tinsley I thought you were gonna go for a couple more "National Conversation" comics but instead you resurrected something you've previously run into the ground!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Oh gently caress you Tinsley I thought you were gonna go for a couple more "National Conversation" comics but instead you resurrected something you've previously run into the ground!
Used to be, Sunday strips had a longer lead time than dailies, primarily due to color plates at newspapers. Watterson talks about it in the tenth anniversary book. He explains that's part of why he rarely integrated Sundays with daily storylines, also you have to make them stand alone in case the reader didn't see the dailies because that paper didn't carry it, and likewise it can't be vital to the story in case the paper doesn't carry Sundays. Coupled with the extra planning of having a bigger lead time it's not worth it.

As to why Tinsley does it, it is because he is bad at his job.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

pwn posted:

Used to be, Sunday strips had a longer lead time than dailies,

Still is today. Whatever the deadlines for the dailies, multiply twice for the Sundays.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Truly the most obnoxious thing about Tinsley is that he doesn't just make one stupid, factually incorrect, petty comic about whatever topic annoyed him that day, he makes anywhere from 14 to 60 of them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I've come to believe that Tinsley doesn't know he's got a wait period on his strips, so he stays mad until he sees that he's actually said something on a topic, and occasionally anger flares up and shifts. It's probably the hangovers tbh.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

So should we report him to the Secret Service? I'd say he's long overdue for a visit, but on the other hand he seems to want to be a martyr and we'd just be giving him what he wants. On the other, other hand, he doesn't seem to fully grasp that being a martyr means actually suffering.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

colonel_korn posted:

Facebook pages: (you don't need to friend them or anything, as long as you're logged in to your own account you can see them)
Branco
7oden
CAM
Rick McKee
Bagley
Allie
Terry Wise
Erin Bonsteel

It's a real comfort that most of them only have a few hundred followers and none of them break 1,500.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Please do not report the sad old man to the Secret Service

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

So should we report him to the Secret Service? I'd say he's long overdue for a visit, but on the other hand he seems to want to be a martyr and we'd just be giving him what he wants. On the other, other hand, he doesn't seem to fully grasp that being a martyr means actually suffering.

Citizen Secret Service

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Being reported to the Secret Service would be the greatest thing that's ever happened to Muir in his whole life.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Please no one ever report Chris to the secret service.

Do not feed the trolls

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
If Muir plans his assassination attempt the same way he plans his storylines, Obama has nothing to fear.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Ah. continuing the trend of anti-abortion-rights folks showing women with giant baby bellies instead of the realistic "barely present" belly at the time the vast majority of abortions take place.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Met posted:

It's a real comfort that most of them only have a few hundred followers and none of them break 1,500.
Bagley is at the cap of number of friends for a personal facebook account :3:

Town Hero

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Bennett also has a Facebook profile which he updates with his latest toons, plus his 'fanmail ' from time to time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

Please do not report the sad old man to the Secret Service
Oh you poor bastard.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

The secret service probably have enough work to do for their real jobs, and don't need us wasting their time by reporting the impotent fantasies of some Internet nobody GIS-tracer with a leaky roof and an imaginary hot wife.

It's hard to even imagine a less credible worry than Muiry-Sue's assassination-wank.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I really cannot believe that you all think the guy who sits in a dilapidated house all day cruising GIS for images to trace is any kind of a threat to one of the most well-protected people in the world. poo poo, it'd be a challenge for him to afford a trip to DC.

If anything, I'd be more worried about him inspiring his wackjob readers to do something terrible. Muir's a fringe rear end in a top hat, sure, but it takes a special kind of person to think his trash is not only good, but worth spending money on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If Muir got a visit from the secret service it'd make his loving day

Let's not pay him any heed unless we hear him trying to scrounge up reader donations for plane fare for a trip to Washington for "patriotic reasons"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

Just want to point out that Vilerat and the other Benghazi victims are Zed's "brothers" now.

Every large family has that one moronic fucker who nobody wants to believe is related to the rest of them.

Rorus: the SS would be visiting Muir because he was encouraging others, not because they felt he had plans himself. There's also a non-zero chance they're already watching his Facebook feed to see who he - or more likely, one of his pet fuckwits - is associating with.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That reminds me: IIRC it's been about 9 months since Muir predicted that a new American Civil War would happen "within the next year." He must be so disappointed that nothing's really happened on that front.

Edit:

Rorus Raz posted:

If anything, I'd be more worried about him inspiring his wackjob readers to do something terrible. Muir's a fringe rear end in a top hat, sure, but it takes a special kind of person to think his trash is not only good, but worth spending money on.
That's the main reason I think it would be a good idea to report him.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Storysmith posted:

Ah. continuing the trend of anti-abortion-rights folks showing women with giant baby bellies instead of the realistic "barely present" belly at the time the vast majority of abortions take place.

And depicting women as interchangable vessels whose rghts don't need to factor in.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's the main reason I think it would be a good idea to report him.

There's a good chance they're already watching.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
They must have hired dozens or hundreds of interns just to browse through the death threats posted publicly on forums and social media, in the last 7 years.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Probably a better way to gently caress with Muir would be by contacting the people/organizations that own the images he vectorizes and letting them know he's violating their copyright. At least a few of his victims are bound to raise a stink about it, and it's more likely to ruin his credibility as an artist amongst his readers.

Thanks for being my sounding board, by the way. Much as I want to see this hateful old man be punished, it's good for me to get other people's perspective rather than charging forward into a stupid course of action.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

Probably a better way to gently caress with Muir would be by contacting the people/organizations that own the images he vectorizes and letting them know he's violating their copyright. At least a few of his victims are bound to raise a stink about it, and it's more likely to ruin his credibility as an artist amongst his readers.
I dunno as to how much exactly what he's doing counts towards fair use. He's making money off of pop cultural resemblances, which I think breaks the rules.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Met posted:

Listen, being raped by your grandfather at the age of eleven is horrible, but you need to carry the baby to term. Hey, it will be like having a doll!

Pretty much the Chilean president response to rape http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/10/chilean-president-praises-raped-pregnancy

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010
On the other hand, didn't the Electronic Tigers guy get a visit from the Secret Service over the comic he did where someone killed Obama in a dream? Sure his art is better, but is Muir really that much less credible than Electronic Tigers?

Besides, the worry isn't that Muir himself will do something, it's that calling for the killing of the President is serious. I mean, did literally anyone think Ramirez would try to kill Bush? But he still got a call when he drew a picture of Bush getting executed even though with context it was clearly meant to just be a reference to another photo and not a serious actionable threat. Sure he's a lot more mainstream, but my point was that the Secret Service do still care about threats made by sources who seemingly have no capacity to personally attempt any real attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
If the SS managed to find out about the magic water pyramid scheme cartoonist I think they can handle Chris Muir without our help

• Locked thread