Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Oh yeah, I'd blocked out the memories of riding with a friend of mine back when we used to go to school together. He'd cruise in the left lane at the speed limit, all "I'm going the speed limit, they shouldn't go faster than me anyway. :smuggo: " So that definitely happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

Oh yeah, I'd blocked out the memories of riding with a friend of mine back when we used to go to school together. He'd cruise in the left lane at the speed limit, all "I'm going the speed limit, they shouldn't go faster than me anyway. :smuggo: " So that definitely happens.

Back in ye olde GBS days I remember there was a thread created with GBS posters talking about how they cruise at the speed limit in the left lane, and the AI posters invaded the forum telling them how dumb they are. I remember it happening at least twice. So yes, it 100% definitely happens.

The problem is the law doesn't enforce a penalty for left lane lounging even if it is, by definition, illegal. It's kind of like a speed limit in itself, because no cop is going to pull you over for doing 5 mph over* so it becomes the norm to do 35 in a 30, 60 in a 55, etc. While technically illegal, it's never enforced, so nobody follows it. I've been spoiled by driving in Europe where, at least in Germany and Austria, people are pretty vigilant about staying in the right lane and only passing on the left. Those who do lounge in the left lane usually find themselves subject to a 6-figure sports-car sitting 6 inches from their bumper in the derestricted zones, with a left turn signal on as a gentle reminder to get the gently caress out of the way.

* Does not apply for people with slightly-darker-than-lily-white-skin driving in the United States of America.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BIG HORNY COW posted:

It's state law in AK to pull over if you have 5 or more cars stacked up behind you. DOT spent this last summer putting in about 2 dozen very badly needed passing zones on the several hundred miles of the 2 lane Seward Highway. Old people and tourists routinely drive at a snails pace and clog it up. The combination of that and impatient douchebags in bro trucks who want to do 80 in a 55 all the time causes lots of unsafe passing and head-on collisions.

It amazes me that you can rent RVs up here with no kind of special training or license endorsement. Just sign the paperwork and get on the incredibly dangerous road!

Yeah, sounds pretty much like the BC interior in a lot of ways. 100 km/h speed limits, lots of curves, one lane each way, and very few passing sections (the stretch of road where I was stuck at 30 km/h under the limit for what seemed like an hour has only one along its entire 60 km span -- luckily, I'd fought my way up in the pack to the point where I could make my final overtakes there, screaming up the hill at a very immoderate speed indeed, since I knew it would be my last chance for a while).

I don't understand the ego thing at all. I encourage people to go faster than me and pass me! They will discover cops and road hazards before I do, and isn't that the best thing?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

I don't understand the ego thing at all. I encourage people to go faster than me and pass me! They will discover cops and road hazards before I do, and isn't that the best thing?

Every time I move over and let people fly by me, I figure I have the best radar detector ever made for the next mile or two. I have no idea why people don't want others to pass them if they are going to keep going faster.

What pisses me off is how often I'll have someone come flying up on me, I'll pull over into the slower moving traffic to let them pass, and then when I get back over to resume speed, they inexplicably slow down to a lower speed than I had my cruise control set at before they caught up with me. WTF dude..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

What pisses me off is how often I'll have someone come flying up on me, I'll pull over into the slower moving traffic to let them pass, and then when I get back over to resume speed, they inexplicably slow down to a lower speed than I had my cruise control set at before they caught up with me. WTF dude..

This is why I've just about given up on moving over to let people through when there's considerably more than two lanes to choose from; this happens way too drat often to me when I let people through.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

The Locator posted:

Some people just can't stand the thought of someone else being ahead of them. They may not actually drive fast when they're in front, but damned if they're gonna let anyone else "beat" them. Same reason people will drive ten under the limit and then speed up to block when someone tries to pass 'em.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Happened today on a 2 lane highway. Guy hogging the passing lane. My cruise is set to 75. As soon as I start to pass him in the right lane he sped up. Don't see the point really.

I need a dashcam.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The number one reason I want autonomous cars is to put an end to left lane hogs. . . But I think there is an alternate solution, we just need to install a device that delivers a shock to the steering wheel every time you are in the left lane. Start out with a small "pay attention" shock and increases over time to near fatal levels.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Crotch Fruit posted:

The number one reason I want autonomous cars is to put an end to left lane hogs. . . But I think there is an alternate solution, we just need to install a device that delivers a shock to the steering wheel every time you are in the left lane. Start out with a small "pay attention" shock and increases over time to near fatal levels.

It's either that or a wholesale reform of driver testing/licensing that preludes getting your driver's license out of a cereal box. Guess which option's on the table?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I caught the rare double avalanche today!

Goddamn morons, that's why you clear your roof too so you don't have to get out of your car later when it's stuck in the middle of an intersection.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Had to cancel all drives and classes due to the snowstorm here in Illinois. When I was calling parents they thought we wanted students to learn how to drive in bad weather. I told them with seriousness that it's not the students I'm worried about, it's the goddamn adults on the road that drive like idiots in the winter.

Last snowfall we had people just cruising through four way stops in residential areas because they were probably worried about being hit from behind. Cue idiots still hitting each other and blocking intersections by the schools.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

The Locator posted:

Every time I move over and let people fly by me, I figure I have the best radar detector ever made for the next mile or two. I have no idea why people don't want others to pass them if they are going to keep going faster.

....Unless you happen to be in a demographic that the cops feel like profiling that particular day. Before my state made weed legal, being a 20something long haired hippie fucker, it was a pretty regular occurrence for me to be doing 5-10 over in the right lane, have someone fly by at 20-30+mph over, and a mile down the road I get pulled over by a speed trap. Funny thing is I haven't been pulled over a single time since my state legalized weed and before that it was ~5 times a year. It's not like my driving style has changed either.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 1, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was in grad school I was a long-haired hippie looking motherfucker, and I got pulled over by a patrol car while riding my bicycle. For cutting through a parking lot"on the wrong side of the road". :wtc: As in, the direction I was heading in the parking lot would have been against the flow of traffic, if it were the road beside the parking lot and not the goddamned parking lot itself. The policeman's name was Officer Shadow, and the reason he gave for this being unsafe was "if a car was turning out of the lot, they wouldn't be looking for people coming that direction, and might hit you."

He was very interested in calling in my driver's license (what would he have done if I didn't have it with me on my bicycle?), and when nothing came back, he wordlessly returned it, got in his car, and chirped the tires as he roared off. Nice guy.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 1, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

<-- White late 40's male, balding so just went to a buzz cut a few years ago. I also don't drive 'bright' cars (silver Focus ST at the moment) since my 20's. Yea, I don't get pulled over unless I do something really stupid. I think my last ticket (or pull over) was in '99 or '00 when I went over the limit by quite a bit to pass a line of cars on a two-lane road, and the distant oncoming car happened to be state police.

E: ^^^ That guy was a dick and cops like that are why way too many people these days hate (or at least really dislike) and distrust the police.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I love how white people can recall the time or two they got pulled over for bullshit reasons, like it happens so rarely they still recall the individual times there were detained even years later. That must be loving amazing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I am white and I have been pulled over probably 30-40 times in the last 7 years.

Driving cars that are visibly shitcans and/or driving late at night is a great way to get a lot of inspection tickets. Hell, I got pulled over 3 times in a single evening last fall, just going home from work. No tickets, since my sticker was still good...

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Got a novel one today. When I'm at reds I tend to look at the people around me, look into the rear view of the person in front of me to see their eyes. Woman I was behind today had her rear view at an angle so that all I could see in it was the leftmost bit of her headrest and the sky outside her window. Whatever she saw in that sure as gently caress wasn't behind her. Both of her side mirrors were good too so it wasn't like she was compensating for them. :iiam:

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Pryor on Fire posted:

I love how white people can recall the time or two they got pulled over for bullshit reasons, like it happens so rarely they still recall the individual times there were detained even years later. That must be loving amazing.

Funny post but until I started buying nondescript cars I would probably get pulled over more often than [insert minority.] The difference being I could always just buy a decently good condition silver/black/white car, get a haircut or put a hat on, and I'm back in the white privilege zone aww yiss.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

D&D is leaking

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I think it's a bit of a fallacy to believe that, as long as civil forfeiture exists, cops don't like pulling over white people. The main difference is that if you're black, the cop's going to say "Put your hands in the air, do you have any drugs, firearms, or weapons in the vehicle?" whereas if you're white the line is "do you have any large sums of cash over $5,000?"

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

sleepy.eyes posted:

Got a novel one today. When I'm at reds I tend to look at the people around me, look into the rear view of the person in front of me to see their eyes. Woman I was behind today had her rear view at an angle so that all I could see in it was the leftmost bit of her headrest and the sky outside her window. Whatever she saw in that sure as gently caress wasn't behind her. Both of her side mirrors were good too so it wasn't like she was compensating for them. :iiam:

She didn't like the headlights blinding her in her makeup mirror. Tilt it down/over - problem solved. The side mirrors were probably still set from when her husband drove the car last.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pryor on Fire posted:

Would having two cops scream at you for ten minutes after they nearly caused an accident by pulling out in front of you from a parking lot, and then respond to your crash stop and laying on the horn by pulling you over three blocks down the road, and finishing off the conversation by threatening to put a bullet in your head if they ever see you again qualify as something that a white person should remember years later? Because I had that happen in 2012 and it's still a pretty vivid memory to this day.

Also why I'll never lodge a complaint about the police with the police. Their response was to sit on the complaint for four months, and then send a sergeant to speak with me - he claimed he was the only guy who handles citizen complaints (in a department that is easily in the top 10 in my state by size), and since he was out on "medical leave" nobody looked into it and wouldn't you know, the dashcam footage of the incident was rolled over before he got to it and they had no choice but to close the investigation due to lack of evidence.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 1, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ringo Star Get posted:

Had to cancel all drives and classes due to the snowstorm here in Illinois. When I was calling parents they thought we wanted students to learn how to drive in bad weather. I told them with seriousness that it's not the students I'm worried about, it's the goddamn adults on the road that drive like idiots in the winter.

Last snowfall we had people just cruising through four way stops in residential areas because they were probably worried about being hit from behind. Cue idiots still hitting each other and blocking intersections by the schools.

Yeah, people act surprised that I don't like to drive in the winter. I tell them, it's not about what I can do, or what my car can do, but rather everyone else on the road. I've driven in a -30 snowstorm at 1AM and I felt safer than after a light snow at midday, just because I was the only person on the road.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

GBS is leaking

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
From the schadenfreude thread.

These are the people you share a planet with.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I did a GIS for 'urban cow' out of curiosity and strangely a lot of the results were of tipped over smart cars:

Apparently it's the urban version of cow tipping and there's been a spate of smart car tipping in the San Francisco area.

When I was a teenager, my friends and I would sometimes pick up a Morris Minor and turn it around in a parking spot, or put a VW bug on the sidewalk, but this stuff is totally shitheaded vandalism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder what they'd think of going up to a biker bar and pushing over the motorcycles. Same thing, right?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder what they'd think of going up to a biker bar and pushing over the motorcycles. Same thing, right?
Yes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My chemistry/physics prof in community college said back when he was a grad student he would always find his ancient (not at the time, it was one of 14"s era) honda on the sidewalk after class. He just laughed and drove it back off the sidewalk generally.

They would also prank other students during rainstorms by throwing lumps of sodium into puddles just in front of them :haw:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pryor on Fire posted:

I love how white people can recall the time or two they committed crimes, like it happens so rarely they still recall the individual times they committed those crimes even years later. That must be loving amazing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nope, not going to let this turn into a downward spiral into hell. Get back to discussing idiots on the road / idiots who won't maintain their cars, or gently caress off.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
A couple of weeks ago while driving to work I passed a fullsize Chevy truck with 2 or 3 workers sitting in the truck bed. Further down the road there was a large empty SYSCO cardboard box in the middle of left lane (the kind that looked like it held about 500 disposable soda cups). I and the two cars in front of me gently swerved to the right around it as it was a double lane becoming a single and there was more than ample room to do so.

Not mister Chevy. He plows right into the box and it gets caught half on his front grill, half underneath. At first he hits his brakes and it looks like he's gonna do the sensible thing and pull over to the side to get out and remove it. Nope, he speeds up again, goes about half a block, then abruptly swerves to the right to attempt to dislodge it (with the aforementioned 2 or 3 dudes sitting in the bed). It fails, and he continues dragging it about another mile down the road til he disappears around the corner making a turn.

Two weeks later I still :psyduck: when I think about it.

Ragnarok the Red fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 2, 2015

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
He...he just doesn't understand the issue with driving on the loving rims, god dam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54rooe9YR24&t=65s :psyduck:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Tarantula posted:

He...he just doesn't understand the issue with driving on the loving rims, god dam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54rooe9YR24&t=65s :psyduck:

If he would have approached Grandpa in a non threatening way he might have stopped driving on the rim axle hub. The doll in the next video is weird, someone must have stood it up just to scare people or to teach speeders a lesson.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Gramps needs to get off the road, he can't control that vehicle like that and it's ripping up the asphalt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wrap some garden hose around that rim and it's good for another 20k easy.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Also, be sure to watch the extra clip after the bit with grandpa... would've scared the poo poo out of me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tarantula posted:

jesus gently caress @ the 4 minute mark (yes it's not a real person but still)

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

BraveUlysses posted:

jesus gently caress @ the 4 minute mark (yes it's not a real person but still)

It was a person walking down the middle of the road. Looked like the person took a step and their arm moved.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

It was a person walking down the middle of the road. Looked like the person took a step and their arm moved.

It's the headlights playing a trick on you, it's just the shadow moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Even if it were a person, if you stand/walk in the middle of a fast, unlit road at night, wearing dark clothing, you're going to be in the running for a Darwin award.