Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is a thread about Assassin's Creed, right? Because these hoodies popped up on a friend's FB feed earlier today and I kind of want one, someone talk me down from this ledge.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

C-Euro posted:

This is a thread about Assassin's Creed, right? Because these hoodies popped up on a friend's FB feed earlier today and I kind of want one, someone talk me down from this ledge.

I'd say you'd need a very specific body build to satisfy the coolness requirement for those jackets.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

C-Euro posted:

"No machine wash" sounds like a dealbreaker.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Playing Revelations after Black Flag feels very weird and awkward. Are there a lot of those tower defense segments?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'd say you'd need a very specific body build to satisfy the coolness requirement for those jackets.

Eh for the first yeah. Covert is a pretty normal hoodie though.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kurtofan posted:

Playing Revelations after Black Flag feels very weird and awkward. Are there a lot of those tower defense segments?

you literally only have to do one, then just murder all the captains and the Assassin recruitment/promotion missions and install your new Master Assassin in the district. Voila, no more tower defense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kurtofan posted:

What the others said (it's the worst feature of that game after the bomb crafting), but note that if you're a completionist, there's an achievement linked with that minigame- "Iron Curtain", if I recall.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Discendo Vox posted:

What the others said (it's the worst feature of that game after the bomb crafting), but note that if you're a completionist, there's an achievement linked with that minigame- "Iron Curtain", if I recall.

I hate cheevos so that's all right with me.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Hey, did they fix that bug I read about in Liberation HD where if you don't pick up a particular collectible during your first run through a certain sequence you have to replay the whole game to achieve 100% sync? I want to start playing it but I'd sooner put it off forever than break my 100% sync streak, because of my mental illness that I have.

Is that gonna be a "yes" then?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Not that this has anything to do with the tower defence segments but am I the only one who thinks the player movement in Revelations has been the best the series has had so far? The mechanics they tied into the hookblade made a lot of stuff feel really smooth, even if it did make a few things too easy.

Honestly I'd just settle for getting a "run but don't jump on stuff button" back.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Discendo Vox posted:

I just want to point out that crafting bombs was awesome. :colbert:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is this game still broken and lovely? Please don't be overly critical nerds in your responses, tia.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Is this game still broken and lovely? Please don't be overly critical nerds in your responses, tia.

Yes.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Sadly, yes.

The main game worked well enough for me that I 100% it. Then along came the DLC which forgot to enable public co-op, won't actually unlock unlockable gear for you to use and managed to delete my savegame not once, but two times. Considering Initiates is in 'maintenance' 'over the holidays' it's safe to say that I'll never see the Altair costume because Ubisoft simply cut their losses after the DLC.

Can't wait for Victory!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Grimace posted:

I just want to point out that crafting bombs was awesome. :colbert:

Crafting bombs was terrible. Most of the possible configurations were useless-especially the different size modifiers.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Volkerball posted:

It's pretty much the same as before--some people still have issues, other people are doing fine. My DLC gear unlocked and I got the Altaïr outfit the other day (because I am a masochist, I don't really recommend it). I think PC players are having the most issues? I'm on PS4.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Volkerball posted:

Paris is beautiful, but some of it pops in at the last second. You can still run around and kill dudes, although sometimes not with the weapon or method you thought you were going to. You can still sneak around a bit, although sometimes you get stuck in high/low profile modes you weren't expecting. Ladders continue to be an abomination unto the Lord.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Unity is just very tedious to play. It has so much filler it's not even funny. There are still fun parts and true series developments and the main campaign is okand some of the side stuff is cool but good luck fishing those out from the ocean of boredom and empty collectibles.

Still a better game than AC3 though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Volkerball posted:

Playing the PS4 version: Unity has crashed more times for me than any other console game I have ever played.

It also is totally random and sudden when it occurs. Nothing appears glitchy beforehand. Nothing starts to slow down. It is just working perfectly fine and then.. stops.
Sometimes it just sits there frozen, sometimes the PS4's crash reporter pops up instead. Either way it is spectacularly frustrating and I just keep hoping it doesn't occur mid-save someday.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

macnbc posted:

Playing the PS4 version: Unity has crashed more times for me than any other console game I have ever played.

It also is totally random and sudden when it occurs. Nothing appears glitchy beforehand. Nothing starts to slow down. It is just working perfectly fine and then.. stops.
Sometimes it just sits there frozen, sometimes the PS4's crash reporter pops up instead. Either way it is spectacularly frustrating and I just keep hoping it doesn't occur mid-save someday.

Sounds like it's either 1. trying to draw on an asset that isn't properly allocated, or 2. Something byzantine involving the PS4 architecture, which apparently involves a lot of parallelism.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

macnbc posted:

+1 on this too. I was just running down an empty hallway in the catacombs of Dead Kings last night and the game poo poo the bed and the crash reporter popped up. I watched the little crash reporter video a half dozen times like a Truther looking for video artifacts that weren't there. :tinfoil:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Discendo Vox posted:

Sounds like it's either 1. trying to draw on an asset that isn't properly allocated, or 2. Something byzantine involving the PS4 architecture, which apparently involves a lot of parallelism.

All I know is on the error report form I entered the comment "My toddler's walking skills are more stable than this game."

Honestly I'm amazed this thing even passed certification with Sony and Microsoft.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Palpek posted:

Unity is just very tedious to play. It has so much filler it's not even funny. There are still fun parts and true series developments and the main campaign is okand some of the side stuff is cool but good luck fishing those out from the ocean of boredom and empty collectibles.

Still a better game than AC3 though.

I never bother with collectibles anyways. Except for shanties of course. Sucks the game still runs like poo poo though. Ubi must have put their good guys on FC4 and let the inbred fucks in the basement design this one.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

drat, the main story ended rather abruptly, this might be the shortest one in the series especially in comparison to Black Flag. Sucks because I felt like this was actually going somewhere. Also lol at the very ending: Oh, so the guy died, hmm not that we were expecting him to be mummified or eternal or something. Now he's just bones! Actually I don't know what we were expecting but well, your whole mission was for nothing, see you!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I never bother with collectibles anyways. Except for shanties of course. Sucks the game still runs like poo poo though. Ubi must have put their good guys on FC4 and let the inbred fucks in the basement design this one.

Really kind of thinking this is true. I've heard lots of good things about FC4, which is so silly considering it was released just like a week after AC:U, spearheaded by the same team in Montreal.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The DLC is so much better to me than the main game, it's not even funny :psyduck::

-The number of collectibles is managable and reminds me of the older rear end Creed games and suddenly I really enjoy getting them.
-There are new enemy mechanics introduced which let you avoid combat and it's really cool (get to the boss without starting combat and the rest will scatter).
-The new weapons are badass and I can't understand why they weren't in the main game in the first place.
-The rewards for side activities are unique and satisfactory.
-There are vast underground areas that bring back the old tomb raiding feel.
-The first civilization stuff is back which makes the story way more engaging and rear end Creed-style.

Overall it seems like a completely different team made this one and they had fun making it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Finished Black Flag, that was pretty great, I really liked Edward.

I liked that the assassinations were actual assassinations 99% of the time, not scripted sword fights.

How's Rogue?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 1, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rogue is a more polished and more focused Black Flag.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I recently bought Black Flag and Rogue, I'm really enjoying Black Flag and am just a few irrelevant tedious bullshit tasks short of 100% completion. So I'm glad that Rogue is going to be worth the effort of making space on my hard drive. I'm almost scared to ask if Unity is really as bad as the first post makes it sound, I can't really believe the quotes and information are from real reviews.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It's realy a bummer they hosed up unity because the setting was perfect for assassin's creed. I hope they won't release Victory next year and will let that one brew in the cooker for awhile.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I haven't had too many problems with unity on PC. I did pick it for the NVIDIA promo and the GTX 970 can pretty much run the game with no problems. Black flag was the first ac game I played (on Wii U, heh) so really different.

Got stuck dropping off a ledge once.
Sometimes my rifle doesn't want to let me attack or block and is in some weird state. Also sometimes it fires out of the butt.

Haven't had any major crashes either. The co op multiplayer missions are actually really fun but I don't think there are that many people playing on PC due to the high requirements and no one uses a mic. Game looks great.

So far I've had fun and I like the assassination missions more than black flag. I miss the pirate stuff though because that owned.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bleusilences posted:

It's realy a bummer they hosed up unity because the setting was perfect for assassin's creed. I hope they won't release Victory next year and will let that one brew in the cooker for awhile.

Unity is a good game that had a horrible launch for various reasons. Technical, external tie in services not working quite right, questionable design decisions...

They listened to fans and finally made combat harder. :greenangel:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bleusilences posted:

I hope they won't release Victory next year and will let that one brew in the cooker for awhile.
Ubisoft has released a new Assassin's Creed every year since AC 2. That's 6 games in a row every year with an additional 7th this year. So no, they won't be slowing down no matter what.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Palpek posted:

Ubisoft has released a new Assassin's Creed every year since AC 2. That's 6 games in a row every year with an additional 7th this year. So no, they won't be slowing down no matter what.

And it will lure in the same diehard AC fanboys gushing themselves over it only for the game to be a overmarketed piece of meh who's only redeeming features will be that it's set in an era that resonates with a large demographic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well, yeah, it still didn't help Unity though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So does Dead Kings explain how Arno rejoins the Brotherhood? Because he's kicked out in AC:U and then after you finish the game you get the Master Assassin outfit and he talks about the meaning of the Creed.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

So does Dead Kings explain how Arno rejoins the Brotherhood? Because he's kicked out in AC:U and then after you finish the game you get the Master Assassin outfit and he talks about the meaning of the Creed.

Nope!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we get a "date" for the end of the game when Arno has the master robes. Dead Kings is set after the main story (hence Arno's shabby robes) but before "the end".

I assume, and this is a huge Dead Kings spoiler, he redeems himself and rises through the ranks in Egypt.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Nope!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we get a "date" for the end of the game when Arno has the master robes. Dead Kings is set after the main story (hence Arno's shabby robes) but before "the end".

I assume, and this is a huge Dead Kings spoiler, he redeems himself and rises through the ranks in Egypt.

But he doesn't go to Egypt at the end as far as I could tell, he just ships the Apple there.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It doesn't show specifically how he gets the brotherhood to take him back, but it lays out pretty clearly how he gets to actually wanting to go back, on an emotional/mental level. Also I think presenting the council with an Apple is a hell of a good way to get them to listen instead of shutting the door in his face.

I would have liked to have seen him actually rejoining, but it's not much of a mystery unless you're not paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Palpek posted:

The DLC is so much better to me than the main game, it's not even funny :psyduck::

-The number of collectibles is managable and reminds me of the older rear end Creed games and suddenly I really enjoy getting them.
-There are new enemy mechanics introduced which let you avoid combat and it's really cool (get to the boss without starting combat and the rest will scatter).
-The new weapons are badass and I can't understand why they weren't in the main game in the first place.
-The rewards for side activities are unique and satisfactory.
-There are vast underground areas that bring back the old tomb raiding feel.
-The first civilization stuff is back which makes the story way more engaging and rear end Creed-style.

Overall it seems like a completely different team made this one and they had fun making it.

I thought it was odd too that supposedly optional content tied in to the overarching series plot way more than the main game did. I mean, technically anyone can access it thanks to the apology concessions, but the narrative focus between the core game and the DLC seems backwards.

• Locked thread