Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sawatari v1's Darts Shooter monsters were cool as poo poo and it's a shame we'll never see them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Up to ep 23 of Arc-V, and the quiz duel quickly became the worst one so far. That kid was so loving insufferable, like all the worst parts of Insector Haga, Rebecca, and Esper Roba all rolled into one rear end-hat know-it-all. And the worst part was having to go through three episodes of it, and he didn't even have the decency to play the actual card "Quiz!". (Yes, I used the word "worst" three times in that paragraph.) :colbert:

The tarot duel was pretty cool though. I'm glad they're showcasing basically every type of play style and summoning option leading up to the junior championships.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The good side is that the Quiz duel is the worst duel in the whole series, it's all going up from there.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got to say, watching the Memory World arc for the first time has never made me more desperate for someone to play a drat card game. It's pretty obvious the animation budget petered out, but good god are these Persona anime battles dull.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

dogsicle posted:

Yuzu is the only main character with an archetype I don't like. I loved the cooking, Gem Knight, and Sawatari v1 archetypes. Overall Arc V seems to have mostly good ones.

I enjoy playing Melodious more than watching them. They're douchebag stall, yes, but it's an excuse to play classical music while I'm being a douchebag and stalling.

(My other deck is Ultra Athletes, who are great)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I just see the dragon as the elephant of the circus. An impressive and exotic beast, tamed for your amusement!

It'd be nice if it was dressed up a little, but Yuya's little speech about 'A dragon with different colored eyes' was hype man enough for me to buy it as fitting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Senerio posted:

I enjoy playing Melodious more than watching them. They're douchebag stall, yes, but it's an excuse to play classical music while I'm being a douchebag and stalling.

(My other deck is Ultra Athletes, who are great)

I just have the minor gripe that I'd rather have them used by a musician duelist than "This is feminine right? Give it to Yuzu." Most characters are basically married to their archetypes even when not dueling, Yuzu not so much.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dogsicle posted:

I just have the minor gripe that I'd rather have them used by a musician duelist than "This is feminine right? Give it to Yuzu." Most characters are basically married to their archetypes even when not dueling, Yuzu not so much.

It's a bit subtle, but she had the musical score collar since Ep 1.
There's a little green musical note pin on it.

But she's a main character, and all the people who've been inseparable from their Archetype are side characters.
Michio's all about cooking, Yaiba's all about his sword.

Oh and to people just joining us: Notice how X-sabers and Yaiba arent very well animated? Someone on the show's team must really hate x-sabers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Really, no female duelist is gonna have a better deck than Aki's army of hosed up plants.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh and to people just joining us: Notice how X-sabers and Yaiba arent very well animated? Someone on the show's team must really hate x-sabers.

Is that really how X-Sabers operates in the real game? Because holy gently caress those interactions were bonkers and half that deck should be banned if it isn't already.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

X-Sabers isn't even that great. You don't see it that often. Here's a chart of the deck representation at a random big event.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Well, animating monsters as overdesigned as the X-sabers must be a major pain in the rear end, but that theory is funny enough that I believe in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

has there been a madolche user in any of the animes yet btw

i love me some madolches, those motherfuckers are cute

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Is that really how X-Sabers operates in the real game? Because holy gently caress those interactions were bonkers and half that deck should be banned if it isn't already.

Yup that's pretty much exactly how they operate when they get their setup, it's beautiful. :swoon:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Although really he should have used TWO Faultrolls, that's a loop you can keep going as long as you like.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's a bit subtle, but she had the musical score collar since Ep 1.
There's a little green musical note pin on it.

But she's a main character, and all the people who've been inseparable from their Archetype are side characters.
Michio's all about cooking, Yaiba's all about his sword.

Even without his clown outfit, Yuuya is still pretty obviously connected to the idea of a clown, Gongenzaka being the same with his samurai. I know Yuzu has her accessories and draw animation, it just isn't a significant connection to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Xoidanor posted:

Yup that's pretty much exactly how they operate when they get their setup, it's beautiful. :swoon:

I like how even the people on the show were asking when his turn would loving end.

Also, I'd rather Yuzu not look like an idiot tbh. She's got a connection to the music, but it's not her life. You could also say the same for Masumi, by the way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Even without his clown outfit, Yuuya is still pretty obviously connected to the idea of a clown, Gongenzaka being the same with his samurai. I know Yuzu has her accessories and draw animation, it just isn't a significant connection to me.
What did Kaiba have to do with dragons besides the fact that he really loving liked dragons

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Endorph posted:

What did Kaiba have to do with dragons besides the fact that he really loving liked dragons

Kaiba's deck was literally 'i have the strongest cards, gently caress thematics', because this was back before every card was only strong based on synergy with others of its type.

Nowadays in Yu-Gi-Oh 90% of decks and cards are only useful when used with other decks and cards of the same type, with some (mostly trap card) exceptions. Back when it first came out you could totally make a non-themed deck and just have ways to pull out a Blue Eyes, without making a full on Blue Eyes themed deck.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

also you know that whole ancient egyptian stone tablet thing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's just because the one duel he's had was against Gongenzaka, and all the animation had to go towards showing how great Gon is.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

He kind of created the first Blue-Eyes White Dragon in his previous life. :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Pretty sure Endorph meant Kaiba's design, which doesn't really make me think he uses much of anything.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

Pretty sure Endorph meant Kaiba's design, which doesn't really make me think he uses much of anything.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

Characters didn't really start mimicking their deck themes until GX.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dexie posted:

Characters didn't really start mimicking their deck themes until GX.

Nah, it was always a kind of thing, just not to the same extent. But all the side characters who weren't in the main group still represented their deck themes. Rex, Weevil, Mai, etc.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

Well, Kaiba is Japanese for seahorse, which is considered a dragon in Japan for some reason. This is also the reason why Kaiba has a monster called Kaiser Sea Horse in his deck. :eng101:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Watched the first couple of 5ds episodes. Hahaha, holy gently caress is Jack a crazy jackass.

"Do you want to duel or save our friend (who I tied up and put on a boat)?"

"You're a pussy for not duelling at literally every moment, I'm going to steal your poo poo and leave."

I sorta get what they were going for since they seem to have shifted him more heroic. But, like, he straight up would have murdered a dude if Yusei wssn't a decent person.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

It says a lot of how insane the card game has become that X-Sabers are considered mediocre at best on the current meta.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's also worth noting that the deck lost it's best card (Rescue Cat) in the September '10 banlist.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The only really good deck archetypes I remember are Black Wings and Dark World. Did either of those get nerfed hard recently? I actually own a full Dark World deck, as a gift from a friend when he decided to start playing magic instead of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KittyEmpress posted:

The only really good deck archetypes I remember are Black Wings and Dark World. Did either of those get nerfed hard recently? I actually own a full Dark World deck, as a gift from a friend when he decided to start playing magic instead of Yu-Gi-Oh.

They haven't been nerfed but they're seriously outclassed by the bullshit archetypes Konami Japan is making on each new expansion.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Actually, Blackwings just got the last of its bans listed and received a lot of new support in the last pack.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
So who would the thread recommend as the best people to watch play yugioh on youtube?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Jaden Yuki in all four seasons of GX. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Eeevil posted:

So who would the thread recommend as the best people to watch play yugioh on youtube?

Yugioh4RealMen has been in-active for 5 months but has some of the most amazing videos of any channel, AznEyes is hit and miss for most people but he also tends to over-explain stuff which can be useful, and finally there is Lithium who closely follows the meta and sets up cross-banlist with old decks when there is nothing new out.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

BlitzBlast posted:

Jaden Yuki in all four seasons of GX. :v:

I tried watching GX for a while but it was extremely boring so I stopped. Should I skip ahead to one of the later seasons where it looks like it goes completely off the rails?

Xoidanor posted:

Yugioh4RealMen has been in-active for 5 months but has some of the most amazing videos of any channel, AznEyes is hit and miss for most people but he also tends to over-explain stuff which can be useful, and finally there is Lithium who closely follows the meta and sets up cross-banlist with old decks when there is nothing new out.

Thanks.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Is it just me or do Pendulum summons seem kind of overpowered?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

Is it just me or do Pendulum summons seem kind of overpowered?

Only when combined with tons of free plusses, free flips every day, multiple re-usable searchers and boss monsters which are literally unaffected by all effects in the game. gently caress Qliphots. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It's pretty much the norm now to be able to summon a bunch of monster in one turn. Especially for rush archetype like x-saber and blackwing.

Pendulum is like an archetype itself that requires its archetype cards (pendulum monster) to work at its best, but it is a bit more compatible to combine it with other deck. You don't usually get a stronger deck as the result of mixing archetype, and only gain a lessen capabilities of both archtype. Mixing pendulum would make summoning much faster along with all the pendulum gimmicks. Assuming it is compatible.

Is it OP? I would say some focused archetype deck can do better in term of current meta, so... Not yet? :shrug: