Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mrk posted:

So was it ZHP only for what we over here call the 330i/Ci then or were other models given the ZHP naming scheme based on rim level?

'ZHP' is the internal BMW option code for the performance package, similar to sport package (ZSP), cold weather package (ZCW), and premium package (ZPP). You could get the performance package on any US market 2003-2006 330i/330ci. It was a US-only package (though Canada did get a similar option package that included everything except the revised gauge cluster). It's similar to the M-sport trims sometimes offered on other generations and models of BMWs (includes everything in the sport package, plus revised damper rates, different front control arms, specific staggered wheel/tire package, shorter gearing in the rear differential, upgraded cams, exhaust and engine tune, removed speed limiter and raised rev limit, M-tech II body kit, M3 style trunk lip spoiler, alcantara interior trim, unique steering wheel and shift knob, ///M badges plastered on everything, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
Quite a bit in it then! Over here we just got Sport, which had all the M-tech bits inc suspension, wider rear wheels, Aero body kit, steering wheel, gear knob etc etc and the SE which was your run of the mill version with softer suspension, and non staggered tyres, skinnier steering wheel and more "older gent" focused trim style combinations. The exclusion being that 330 E46s had the M-tech suspension and wider tyres even on SE trim. In 2005 BMW changed the E46 "Sport" name to be "MN-Sport" as well. No other differences, just the name.

Needless to say, there are many SE cars about from that era but these days almost everything BMW sell is always specced in M-Sport trim regardless of whether it';s the smallest 4 cylinder diesel or not. The British people seem to buy into the "This car looks sporty so therefore must be sporty, I'll take it!".

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Today in "E30 prices are insane"

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4862144537.html

He's down to 8200 on r3vl1m1t3d but geez, to draw a random cross shopping example, that's still 40% of a 996 with half the miles and all the IMS/RMS BS fixed.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

blk posted:

Today in "E30 prices are insane"

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4862144537.html

He's down to 8200 on r3vl1m1t3d but geez, to draw a random cross shopping example, that's still 40% of a 996 with half the miles and all the IMS/RMS BS fixed.

Nothing about that car is particularly special except for the fact that it's a 2 door. Non-sport and powder blue. I doubt he gets close to that price.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah E30 prices are really starting to get ridiculous, that should be like a $4k car tops

blk
Dec 19, 2009

rscott posted:

Yeah E30 prices are really starting to get ridiculous, that should be like a $4k car tops

Battery tenders always seem to add 4-5k :P

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is really clean, though. I'd kill for that shell.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been considering an F80 M3 to replace my E92 M3 and my girlfriend said (of the 2 extra doors) "I guess if you're ready to give up on life and have a bunch of babies and put them in your family sedan you should do it."

Which is pretty awesome, but I actually like the F80 more than the F82.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

So I've been considering an F80 M3 to replace my E92 M3 and my girlfriend said (of the 2 extra doors) "I guess if you're ready to give up on life and have a bunch of babies and put them in your family sedan you should do it."

Most people seem to think the F80 looks better, myself included. It's also telling that both dealers near me have several F82's and not one F80.

Anyone have an idea of when I'll be able to place an order for a 2016? SOP is 7/15 so I'm assuming around May?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

HotCanadianChick posted:

Which country and/or year? I double checked the US sales brochures before I made that post and it doesn't even show manual seats as an option for 330s (and no manual seats at all on the convertibles):

http://www.autospies.com/images/uploads/medium/2004BMWBrochures/2004_3series_coupe.pdf

http://www.autospies.com/images/uploads/medium/2004BMWBrochures/2004_3series_sedan.pdf

http://www.autospies.com/images/uploads/medium/2004BMWBrochures/20043Convertibles.pdf

I don't know about the convertibles, but this was up in Canada, where it seems once again BMW treats us like a bunch of rubes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Well, you'll have to remove the seatbelt mount, maybe a few dust caps if they're on the bolt/torx heads, maybe a couple trim pieces, but it's really pretty simple. If you've got sensors in the seats of the 128i (occupancy sensors) unplug the battery so no codes are thrown.

Replacing a seat is really one of the easier things to do. Google a DIY for your specific model to check it out though.

How much would one go for at a junkyard?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Most people seem to think the F80 looks better, myself included. It's also telling that both dealers near me have several F82's and not one F80.

Anyone have an idea of when I'll be able to place an order for a 2016? SOP is 7/15 so I'm assuming around May?

I can't get an answer, and no one seems to have allocations for ED. I had a killer deal negotiated last year for a December ED but decided I didn't want to do only a sign and drop Munich trip so I backed out. Now the allocations seem to have dried up.

BMW of Rockville has 36 M4s on the lot, only 3 M3s. I bet I could get a hell of a deal if I drove up there today.

I'm leaning toward a F82 for May ED.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 31, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Quote =/= edit

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 31, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm leaning toward a F82 for May ED.
What color? I saw a still-unplated Mineral Gray one with the black wheels today that looked very sharp, guy had put on some of those white raised lettering kits on the tires ("Bridgestone" "Potenza") which looked a lot better than I would have expected that kind of thing to on lower profiled tires/this kind of car.

e: sort of like this

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 1, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
SO with the black wheels. I really really like YMB but it just doesn't work on the coupe.

Of those 36 M4s BMW Rockville has like 28 of them are mineral grey.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Interesting. I haven't seen many that color, I suppose darker colored cars are more rare in the SoCal sun though. Definitely worked with the early 70's stock car tires.

SO is definitely the right choice, looks great in all lights.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I figured I'd call up BMW Rockville since it's Saturday, last day of the month, and they have 36 M4s listed.

They're closed. Are you loving kidding me?

I guess they already hit their numbers for the month.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

It is really clean, though. I'd kill for that shell.

Maybe the subtitle of this thread should be "The 540i is only for poors who can't afford an E30"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

blk posted:

Maybe the subtitle of this thread should be "The 540i is only for poors who can't afford an E30"

real talk

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Not sure I can buy a running e30 for what I paid for my 540i, truth in thread title advertising

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

:vince:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blk posted:

I my market this is true in general with older BMWs - 5 and 7s especially with bigger engines depreciate to being worth almost nothing whereas the smaller models remain desirable for a bit longer.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I did something rather dumb yesterday, in that I didn't properly secure my fuel cap after I'd filled up and drove about a mile before I realised. In that time a yellow engine warning light has appeared. Having googled about it looks like an improperly closed fuel cap will set off a warning light on both Mini's and BMWs, and it would be a heck of a coincidence if the engine developed a problem without any prior issues after this event. However, the information I've found is unclear on how long it takes for the light to go away once it realises there isn't a leak or anything.

The car feels just fine, the engine behaves and sounds perfectly well, and there is no detectable loss of power. The car is going in for some other bits to be done on Wednesday anyway, and when I dropped by they didn't find any problems or errors logged with the fob. Presumably I've got nothing to worry about?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Ludicro posted:

The car feels just fine, the engine behaves and sounds perfectly well, and there is no detectable loss of power. The car is going in for some other bits to be done on Wednesday anyway, and when I dropped by they didn't find any problems or errors logged with the fob. Presumably I've got nothing to worry about?

If it was the gas cap, the light will go off on its own after a bit. If it stays on after a week of driving, you should get it checked out. If you have access to an OBD tool you can turn it off yourself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Started the 318iS yesterday after a month plus of sitting and I'm getting a leak from the rubber fuel lines above the gas tank. gently caress.

Time to do just subframe and ta bushings I guess

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ludicro posted:

So I did something rather dumb yesterday, in that I didn't properly secure my fuel cap after I'd filled up and drove about a mile before I realised. In that time a yellow engine warning light has appeared. Having googled about it looks like an improperly closed fuel cap will set off a warning light on both Mini's and BMWs, and it would be a heck of a coincidence if the engine developed a problem without any prior issues after this event. However, the information I've found is unclear on how long it takes for the light to go away once it realises there isn't a leak or anything.

I had the same thing happen, only I went much more than one mile without securing it, I secured the cap and it went away pretty quickly, in fact it went away when I was on the way to take it in to the dealer since I still am under warranty.
You are right in that there was no other detectable symptom other than the CEL being illuminated, at least in my experience.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I have a problem with my E39, when i turn the key the headlights flash and the dash gives me Engine Light, Oil Can Light and ABS. Starter does not turn. The starter did turn initialy but died after about 10 seconds (i probably shouldn't have ran the starter for 10 seconds). The internet tells me it's the battery not giving enough power so i'm going to get a replacement tomorrow to test that out but in the meantime i thought i'd ask here too.

The engine started for 2 seconds, then shut off again, then the starter turned over for 10 seconds, then died. Now it's just the lights (including the headlights) flashing on and off rapidly. At first i thought it had to do with the half meter of snow we just had blocking the air intakes, but hopefully it's not that. Please.

*edit*

Oh yeah, and no error codes at all, so hopefully i didn't brick the engine with snow or something.

Also a week ago the car refused to unlock at a supermarket parking lot, then 20 minutes later it worked again. Haven't had a problem since then until now.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 1, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Started the 318iS yesterday after a month plus of sitting and I'm getting a leak from the rubber fuel lines above the gas tank. gently caress.

At least you get to have fun and burn them out.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Killstick posted:

I have a problem with my E39, when i turn the key the headlights flash and the dash gives me Engine Light, Oil Can Light and ABS. Starter does not turn. The starter did turn initialy but died after about 10 seconds (i probably shouldn't have ran the starter for 10 seconds). The internet tells me it's the battery not giving enough power so i'm going to get a replacement tomorrow to test that out but in the meantime i thought i'd ask here too.

The engine started for 2 seconds, then shut off again, then the starter turned over for 10 seconds, then died. Now it's just the lights (including the headlights) flashing on and off rapidly. At first i thought it had to do with the half meter of snow we just had blocking the air intakes, but hopefully it's not that. Please.

*edit*

Oh yeah, and no error codes at all, so hopefully i didn't brick the engine with snow or something.

Also a week ago the car refused to unlock at a supermarket parking lot, then 20 minutes later it worked again. Haven't had a problem since then until now.

Step 1 when weird electrical poo poo starts happening to BMWs is test/replace the battery. It can't be overstated how sensitive they are to not having enough power and how much incredibly weird poo poo will happen when the battery starts to go bad.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
:toot: New subtitle is here :toot:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I don't like it.
:colbert:

(Poor 540i owner chiming in)

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

This poor E36 owner is glad he is no longer being discriminated against.

Right up until people see how bad the interior of the car is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not gonna lie, If the e30 came with a v8 I would totally want one.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

These sorts of problems have known solutions.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You could always make a 360i with a 6.0 lsx and a debadge 7 series.

:getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

You'll have to settle for a mere V10 instead.

http://www.carbuildindex.com/13213/bmw-e30-m3-5-7l-dinan-stroker-v10-build-by-piper-motorsport/

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

BraveUlysses posted:

You will not regret it. Also, use goodyear bilge rated marine fuel hose to replace the filler neck. NAPA carries it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The 540iT 6 speed from a few pages back is today's nice price or crack pipe.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ludicro posted:

Did this once with my E46. After tightening the gas cap the light went away within like 10 miles of driving IIRC, maybe even less.

The ECU shouldn't "store" that code in the same way it does more critical codes, so it should clear out relatively quickly once the cap is tightened. Or like was mentioned you can likely use an OBD2 reader to reset it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Jealous Cow posted:

The F80 is the car you want -- in my opinion BMW sedans always look better than their coupe counterparts. They're built and proportioned to be sedans from the start, so the coupe looks and feels disingenuous to me.

Some will argue the coupe looks better, but is it so much better that you'd trade the practicality and "cool factor" of an M sedan? I'd understand if the coupe also outperformed and was better to drive than the sedan, but that is never the case. M3 sedans make me turn my head, M3 coupes are kind of expected.