Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Hey guys! There's this, what I assume is some drum synth in a few different songs I've heard and I haven't been able to figure out what it is. My friend thinks it's a Yamaha RX5 with some weird post-processing but I'm not so sure.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsNiX00a6l4

It's the main percussion, the dry chirpy electro stuff. Any ideas? It seems really distinctive.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEcMG2Jvx3k

At around 2:20, there's a synth line going up, note by note. Now, it sounds to be a square wave with a soft attack, am I correct in thinking this? There's also a bass-y sound underneath it, sawtooth wave? I would love to recreate this sound exactly as it is, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good synths to use to get started with that? I guess technically any of them can do, but I'd like to try it out with something like the ImpOscar or Minimonstah, which I own. Is there a setting that has a glide that isn't 100% smooth, but rather plays every note on the way up or down?

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Definitely a Minimoog, tracked in two layers. The high layer is a triangle wave with the filter fully open (except for a quick manual sweep on the note before the final descending run), no resonance/emphasis, no filter envelope/contour, 0 attack time, 1 second decay, 0 sustain, "decay switch off", glide off, key tracking off.

There's an 8th note echo on the high layer that's automated up when the first ascending run of notes occurs. Full unity tap and a bit of feedback.

The bass layer is a square wave, two octaves down from the triangle, with cutoff at about "2". All other settings are the same. The cutoff is pulled down during the descending run, and swept open towards the very end.

I don't know what MIDI editor you use, but in REAPER you can control-alt-click/drag to draw a diagonal line of chromatic notes, making sure snapping is disabled. Don't worry about getting the notes to conform to any sort of triplet or sixteenth type pattern, just get the approximate slide time right.

Part of the characteristic sound is the slow note decay. Legato notes on the Moog don't retrigger the loudness envelope, so the decay occurs gradually during sustained notes as well as the fast runs of notes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

snappo posted:

Definitely a Minimoog, tracked in two layers. The high layer is a triangle wave with the filter fully open (except for a quick manual sweep on the note before the final descending run), no resonance/emphasis, no filter envelope/contour, 0 attack time, 1 second decay, 0 sustain, "decay switch off", glide off, key tracking off.

There's an 8th note echo on the high layer that's automated up when the first ascending run of notes occurs. Full unity tap and a bit of feedback.

The bass layer is a square wave, two octaves down from the triangle, with cutoff at about "2". All other settings are the same. The cutoff is pulled down during the descending run, and swept open towards the very end.

I don't know what MIDI editor you use, but in REAPER you can control-alt-click/drag to draw a diagonal line of chromatic notes, making sure snapping is disabled. Don't worry about getting the notes to conform to any sort of triplet or sixteenth type pattern, just get the approximate slide time right.

Part of the characteristic sound is the slow note decay. Legato notes on the Moog don't retrigger the loudness envelope, so the decay occurs gradually during sustained notes as well as the fast runs of notes.

Wow, holy poo poo, thanks! Man, I need to get better at recognizing my synthesis.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Are Fairlight samples still available somewhere? I'm looking for this specific bass sample for something I'm working on. I've heard it in a million songs, but here's where it can be heard clearly. At least I'm pretty sure it's a Fairlight sample.

http://youtu.be/M0b1tdAfW2I

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I absolutely love whatever the synth sound is at the start of this is. Any guesses as to how it was made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcZhTkBeS8s

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are Fairlight samples still available somewhere? I'm looking for this specific bass sample for something I'm working on. I've heard it in a million songs, but here's where it can be heard clearly. At least I'm pretty sure it's a Fairlight sample.

[video]
I just went through the bass samples of this, and it's possible one of them is it, but my preview program doesn't recognise sample loops (if they are even in there, that is), so it's hard to tell. They are Fairlight samples, in any case.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61626

Popcorn posted:

I absolutely love whatever the synth sound is at the start of this is. Any guesses as to how it was made?

[video]
This is the sort of detuned mess I get when trying to make a FM synthesis patch from scratch, because I don't understand how it works. So maybe it's that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://youtu.be/M0b1tdAfW2I

There's a Fairlight iPad app and I'm reasonably certain that your slap bass is going to be in there. Otherwise, see if a soundfont can help you out (but the quality of those isn't always up to snuff).

Alternatively, the one in the M1 may do the job for you: http://www.synthmania.com/m1.htm

Flipperwaldt posted:

I just went through the bass samples of this

Huh. I think I've heard something very close to those in the E-mu Vintage Keys and the MC-303 (SYNBSS2).

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Thing ring mod for that detuned sound

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't think he used an E-mu but hell, the M1 is close enough if I can't dig up something in that Fairlight pack, thanks.

Jotun
May 8, 2005

Come on, touch it. You know you want to.
This is probably gonna be a really stupid one, but do any of you guys know specifically how Odesza might've done that main driving synth riff/effect at the beginning of "Don't Stop" that continues throughout the song?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFW_Mxefvig

My first guess was probably some kind of sample looping in reverse, but could it be a synth organ or swell or something instead? If so, is there anyone who could point me in the direction of a good synth VST/Massive instrument or something that produces a similar kind of sound, or help me figure out what kinds of settings/effects tweaks I should be looking for on instruments to move in that direction in general?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Jotun posted:

This is probably gonna be a really stupid one, but do any of you guys know specifically how Odesza might've done that main driving synth riff/effect at the beginning of "Don't Stop" that continues throughout the song?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFW_Mxefvig

My first guess was probably some kind of sample looping in reverse, but could it be a synth organ or swell or something instead? If so, is there anyone who could point me in the direction of a good synth VST/Massive instrument or something that produces a similar kind of sound, or help me figure out what kinds of settings/effects tweaks I should be looking for on instruments to move in that direction in general?
I think it might be a single long note with a tempo synced sawtooth LFO modulating the amplitude, rather than a couple of reversed notes or something.

LFO like this:

I'm also thinking that's a fairly generic organ sound below that, that should be reproducable with some kind of drawbar organ plugin, ballpark like this:

These guys have a (32 bit, Windows) good drawbar organ emulation in their free legacy donationware package at the bottom of the page, called Organized Trio. You can also easily make organ-type sounds in Massive with the Flenders or Additiv type oscillators and mixing in sines at the right intervals, but it'd take a bit more experimentation to get that same sound. I don't have Massive, so what do I know.

If you want the exact same thing, you're probably going to have to throw some effects over it that make it sound like it was recorded on tape, like gentle saturation and a mild rolling off of the highs.

Anyway, that's how I would go about trying to recreate something like that.

Jotun
May 8, 2005

Come on, touch it. You know you want to.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think it might be a single long note with a tempo synced sawtooth LFO modulating the amplitude, rather than a couple of reversed notes or something.

LFO like this:

I'm also thinking that's a fairly generic organ sound below that, that should be reproducable with some kind of drawbar organ plugin, ballpark like this:

These guys have a (32 bit, Windows) good drawbar organ emulation in their free legacy donationware package at the bottom of the page, called Organized Trio. You can also easily make organ-type sounds in Massive with the Flenders or Additiv type oscillators and mixing in sines at the right intervals, but it'd take a bit more experimentation to get that same sound. I don't have Massive, so what do I know.

If you want the exact same thing, you're probably going to have to throw some effects over it that make it sound like it was recorded on tape, like gentle saturation and a mild rolling off of the highs.

Anyway, that's how I would go about trying to recreate something like that.

Hey, many thanks for the helpful reply! Sorry, I didn't forget about your post or anything, just got really busy with other stuff and hadn't had too much time to play around with things yet. Your method sounds like it's definitely along the lines of what I suspected might be going on, but I'm having a little trouble actually getting it working, I guess mostly because I'm not really sure how to set up something like the sawtooth LFO as an external effect over something else in Ableton (i.e. if there isn't already an effect like that built-in as one the parameters of the plug-in or something). If you (or anybody else) could go into a little more detail on how this works/how I might go about setting up something like this I'd certainly appreciate it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Jotun posted:

Hey, many thanks for the helpful reply! Sorry, I didn't forget about your post or anything, just got really busy with other stuff and hadn't had too much time to play around with things yet. Your method sounds like it's definitely along the lines of what I suspected might be going on, but I'm having a little trouble actually getting it working, I guess mostly because I'm not really sure how to set up something like the sawtooth LFO as an external effect over something else in Ableton (i.e. if there isn't already an effect like that built-in as one the parameters of the plug-in or something). If you (or anybody else) could go into a little more detail on how this works/how I might go about setting up something like this I'd certainly appreciate it.
I don't have Live and I'm on mobile now, so I can't do much better, but I think clip envelopes are what you're looking for. Possibly a looping one, possibly in a separate clip modulating the volume knob of the plugin in tempo sync, so you would just have to activate the clip and it would be applied automatically to all notes you play to the vst recorded in another clip.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/clip-envelopes/

The link doesn't contain a lot of how-to, but it will at least point you in the right direction and have the vocabulary to help you google a tutorial.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm sure I've asked this before, but when it comes to synths, I have a memory like a sieve.

I also have about as much knowledge about synths as Labradors have about colours.

With that in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA

That first synthy sound? The noise that it opens with? What sort of synth should I look at if I want to make that sort of noise with Reason?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Kindof has an FM vibe to me, but I'm not terribly good at programming FM and don't use Reason so not sure where to go from there.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Hi, can anyone give me a few tips on trying to reproduce the main synth bass from this track? https://soundcloud.com/flooziesduo/blueberry-sizzurp . The bass in question comes in around 1:00. It seems like a fairly basic patch with a good amount of portamento (and some lfo->cutoff wubs) but how do I get that sort of liquidy character to it? Is that just high resonance or is that a phaser (or some other effect)?

Bolange fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 10, 2015

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEcMG2Jvx3k
Is there a setting that has a glide that isn't 100% smooth, but rather plays every note on the way up or down?

Some older synths have this feature and differentiate it from portamento by calling it "glissando." Yamaha CS-series were big into including this. You can achieve the same effect on a modular by running a slewed pitch CV through a quantizer to force it to discrete steps.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Can anyone tell me how to recreate the synth sound that comes in at 1:36 here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8eRturVXc

Pen Expers fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 16, 2015

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a bass like the one used in this song?

Freddie Joachim - The making of "Let's Go Down": https://youtu.be/sAHyjI_n8ZU
Bass starts around 2 minutes. I think he's using the minimoog plugin, and I tried that but couldn't get that funky sound. Cheers!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pen Expers posted:

Can anyone tell me how to recreate the synth sound that comes in at 1:36 here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8eRturVXc

It's thin and hollow sounding, with some metallic characteristics and a slight filter envelope.

I'd start by messing around with a pulse or square wave with most of the lower frequencies filtered out, and maybe a lo-pass VCF that opens with a slow attack. Throw a nice reverb over the top of that for some space and you should be reasonably close.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

Poizen Jam posted:

It's thin and hollow sounding, with some metallic characteristics and a slight filter envelope.

I'd start by messing around with a pulse or square wave with most of the lower frequencies filtered out, and maybe a lo-pass VCF that opens with a slow attack. Throw a nice reverb over the top of that for some space and you should be reasonably close.

Ok thanks, I'll start with this. I was thinking it sounded almost like a vocal-synth chorus sound you hear in trance music, but a slower and more reverb-y take on it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

zeldadude posted:

and I tried that but couldn't get that funky sound.

The funk is in how you play it. Do keep in mind that you're hearing this through a subpar camera mic or something, so the "knock" in front that makes it sort of sound acoustic is probably caused by a limiter to keep the signal from clipping.

The meat and potatos Minimoog bass is just 1 saw wave, filter envelope not active, keytracking probably at half, cutoff turned down lots, no resonance, ADS for envelope set to zero max max with no release. Run it through a compressor, set the ratio to 1:10 or something and tweak attack and decay to taste to get that "knock" effect.

It really helps to have either the exact same Arturia Mini V plugin or something like Monark/Diva, getting NI Massive to sound like this is a shitload of work for an unsatisfying result.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's pretty much impossible to tell anything about that bass sound from this particular recording. A little about the volume env, a little about the portamento amount, and then there's nothing else that could be heard from that video with any accuracy.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Yeah, but the plugin used kind of limits the number of possibilities.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just a factory preset.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

wayfinder posted:

I think it's pretty much impossible to tell anything about that bass sound from this particular recording. A little about the volume env, a little about the portamento amount, and then there's nothing else that could be heard from that video with any accuracy.

Sorry, I should've just linked the song. Here's the final product, you can hear the bass better.
Freddie Joachim - Let's Go Down: https://youtu.be/l06HI7GI9bg

But thanks dude, I'll give it a shot!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

zeldadude posted:

Sorry, I should've just linked the song. Here's the final product, you can hear the bass better.

Upright bass, either a real one or sample based, a lot of compression, and a non resonant low pass filter (or a poo poo ton of eq). If you go the patch route, a significant part of it is that, probably tied to velocity, is the level of the slap sample.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

zeldadude posted:

If it was done with the Arturia minimoog V vst, try the K.U. Sin preset.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ben Prunty - Hacking Malfunction

How would one go about recreating the squelchy, glitchy sounding robot voice sound at around 0:54? Is it just a saw wave with a dormant filter and random pitch variations/stutters?

For anyone familiar with FTL, it's the same kind of sound effect used for Lanius speech or actions,

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
How do I get in the ballpark of the uh..."sticky" sounding synth that comes in during the verse of this song (WARNING HOLY HELL IS THIS VIDEO :nws:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RvMBo0e6PY :nws: around :28 seconds in, drops out for the chorus, and comes back in at 1:28? It sounds like its simpler than I think it is and I'm just not applying my filters right in Logic's ES2.

once again good lord don't watch that video anywhere you wouldn't want to get caught eating rear end.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Gravybong posted:

How do I get in the ballpark of the uh..."sticky" sounding synth that comes in during the verse of this song (WARNING HOLY HELL IS THIS VIDEO :nws:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RvMBo0e6PY :nws: around :28 seconds in, drops out for the chorus, and comes back in at 1:28? It sounds like its simpler than I think it is and I'm just not applying my filters right in Logic's ES2.

once again good lord don't watch that video anywhere you wouldn't want to get caught eating rear end.

I was a bit of a challenge getting this to play in Germany :)

You're in luck, it is indeed a very simple sound: a single saw osc with a simple 2-pole (12dB) lowpass filter envelope, adjust resonance for stickyness. Pretty much the simplest thing a subtractive synth can do ;)

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

wayfinder posted:

I was a bit of a challenge getting this to play in Germany :)

You're in luck, it is indeed a very simple sound: a single saw osc with a simple 2-pole (12dB) lowpass filter envelope, adjust resonance for stickyness. Pretty much the simplest thing a subtractive synth can do ;)

I was getting the filter type wrong, i think. Just to be clear, i'm not talking about the bass sound, but rather the sort of sequenced sounding thing thats not the bass or vocals or drums

Gravybong fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 28, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My life would be complete if I could get this whining, roaring, wild as gently caress lead sound that plays until about 0.37 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiXZppoDvM

Everytime I hear it my feet twitch with sheer childish delight, can you help me please?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

My life would be complete if I could get this whining, roaring, wild as gently caress lead sound that plays until about 0.37 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiXZppoDvM

Everytime I hear it my feet twitch with sheer childish delight, can you help me please?

You just need a guitar equipped with a floyd rose and not be afraid to rip the poo poo out of it.

That is, if you can ever get the god damned thing in tune and then manage to keep it there. gently caress Floyd Rose and his trem system!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Whale Cancer posted:

You just need a guitar equipped with a floyd rose and not be afraid to rip the poo poo out of it.

That is, if you can ever get the god damned thing in tune and then manage to keep it there. gently caress Floyd Rose and his trem system!

Is the Les Paul just for show on the vid do you think? I was hoping I'd at least have that sorted to begin the search.
How / why would I use a Floyd Rose to achieve this sound?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Sounds like he's cranking on a trem system but I'm sure a whammy pedal would do the same thing. My first multi fx board was a DigiTech rp7 and I could make sweet air raid sirens, atomic bombs, elephant noises and all kinds of crap with the whammy pedal.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Whale Cancer posted:

Sounds like he's cranking on a trem system but I'm sure a whammy pedal would do the same thing. My first multi fx board was a DigiTech rp7 and I could make sweet air raid sirens, atomic bombs, elephant noises and all kinds of crap with the whammy pedal.

I want to make elephant noises now

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I've only recently dipped my toes into the wonderful world of synths (not a 'true' synth, it's an Arturia KeyLab 61) so I'm still learning how all this poo poo works and having to do it on the fly, so can anyone help me figure out how to recreate the sound at the beginning of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZsCYOM4j0 (Stabbing Westward, 'Save Yourself').

I'm on OS X with Logic Pro X, MainStage and the KeyLab suite (if that matters).

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I've been toying around with adding some atmosphere to some songs and ran into this video of an Axe FX setting for "Black Hole" (around 4:30 in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TlvoXg9M7w

I figure it's just a ton of reverb and delay, but I can't get the actual strike strikes to fade into the background like he's managing to do in the video. Almost sounds like a synth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bazanga posted:

I've been toying around with adding some atmosphere to some songs and ran into this video of an Axe FX setting for "Black Hole" (around 4:30 in the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TlvoXg9M7w

I figure it's just a ton of reverb and delay, but I can't get the actual strike strikes to fade into the background like he's managing to do in the video. Almost sounds like a synth.

My god, the 'stratosphere' preset at 3:15 is beautiful :allears:

• Locked thread