Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Davoren posted:

Later on you can craft an infinitely reusable grappling hook.

How much later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tin Tim posted:

Yo, someone please spoil the mining outpost boss fight for me. I just don't feel like finding out on my own when it's so easy to die to the loving thing without having any checkpoints in the mission itself. Killing 40+(That's where I stopped counting) pink guys once was tedious enough, I don't want to do it a third time. When it comes to the mission itself, I can now see why people bitched about it. I was lucky enough to find a fire crossbow before going there, and killing the pink guys in three shoots with a good rate of fire is okay. Not fun, but okay. Of course it then swings into tedious when you realize that the dungeon is fairly big and filled to the brim with pinks.

Otherwise, I tend to side with the folks that hate on the early fetch quest chain, because it's just tedious atm. LIke, I get that the devs want to show you how to make glass and steel, but currently it's just busy work. And what the hell is the purpose of bug catching besides that first fetch quest? Really hope that whole quest chain gets ditched or improved.

In addition to what Jusupov said, getting through the facility after you've been through once is way faster and easier since you know the right route and you can skip almost all the pink guys.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Oh, another stupid thing. The crafting table you make to use rubium/volium/aegisalt requires you to use your replicator as a component. That would be fine, IF the new crafting table could make everything the replicator could. It cannot.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

ScorpioMajesty posted:

How much later?

I'm fairly sure it's made on the robotic workstation using durasteel, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Is there a list of admin commands somewhere for the current build?

Edit: VVVV Thank you VVVV

Stormfang1502 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 1, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If you type /help in admin mode it'll give you a list, and you can specify a command to learn what it does, think it tells you how.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Tin Tim posted:

Yo, someone please spoil the mining outpost boss fight for me. I just don't feel like finding out on my own when it's so easy to die to the loving thing without having any checkpoints in the mission itself. Killing 40+(That's where I stopped counting) pink guys once was tedious enough, I don't want to do it a third time. When it comes to the mission itself, I can now see why people bitched about it. I was lucky enough to find a fire crossbow before going there, and killing the pink guys in three shoots with a good rate of fire is okay. Not fun, but okay. Of course it then swings into tedious when you realize that the dungeon is fairly big and filled to the brim with pinks.

Otherwise, I tend to side with the folks that hate on the early fetch quest chain, because it's just tedious atm. LIke, I get that the devs want to show you how to make glass and steel, but currently it's just busy work. And what the hell is the purpose of bug catching besides that first fetch quest? Really hope that whole quest chain gets ditched or improved.

Really the best thing is to just /admin it. Even bringing a pile of consumables and shields and all the other poo poo some people think is reasonable to bring for a first boss, you're very likely to die a couple times to each phase. Turn on godmode, run through the giant pile of pink moon guys, kill the boss, turn it off. If you're in multiplayer and someone is still in the instance it won't reset I hear.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
As someone who liked Terraria will I like it and should I buy it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

No. This game is bad, Terraria is good

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

As someone who liked Terraria will I like it and should I buy it?

I just started playing both of them recently and they both own

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also, sand has no physics now. I guess that's how they "fixed" sand mining.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ScorpioMajesty posted:

But sand mining was the greatest and fun, when you destory a single block and you watch this massive cardhouse just crumble, giving you a bunch of ores to reward you for your destruction.

gently caress you starbound.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Sand mine yourselves into a hole

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Ahundredbux posted:

Sand mine yourselves into a hole

I usually do! :-)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

One day a Chucklefish employee is going to mention he found a shortcut to/from work and Tiy is going to flip out on him for not slashing his tires to balance the time saved

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
This "Tiy" person sounds like a real monster. Regale us with the tails of his atrocities!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
In the form of a song if you can. (Cue the minstrels)

Edit: ooo! Tiy can be the Dragon, supernorn can be the evil wizard, the starbound community can be the tormented towns folk, starbound itself can be the damsel in distress and odium could be the knight in shining armour!

hey welcome to the show! fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 1, 2015

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

A friend of mine is running a server, but when playing on it a few planets cause the client to crash. Which planets do it is consistent and it happens to everyone. At first it was just annoying, but as of yesterday's patch the story missions now do it too. Anyone have any idea what's up?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Yaws posted:

I just started playing both of them recently and they both own

Terraria keeps the fun going while starbound sputters and dies 2 hours in tho.

But hey, more alpacas.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Mine boss is stupidly easy, but here we go:

Hit four switches + thing at the bottom to damage him.

First stage just run around him to avoid the beam.

Second stage, stay on the bottom and go left/right as needed. Clear out the enemies and he won't be able to hurt you.

Third stage, stay directly below where the attacking thing is and it won't be able to hit you at all. Go out to hit the switches in between the attacks.

Using a shield helps negate the damage as well as bringing bandages if you're going to get hit a lot.

Completely unrelated to this boss specifically, but I've found that some Mushroom vendors will sell you weapons and they seem to be completely bugged. Their inventory is randomized each time you select a weapon in their shop and randomized further when you buy one. You can easily get a gun that does near 200 damage by buying a bunch of weapons from it. Just remember each time you select a weapon the stats change, usually going up. Select a weapon till it gets stats near high enough and usually the one you'll buy will be somewhere close to it statwise. If not, just repeat till you get something good.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

DeliciousCookie posted:

Mine boss is stupidly easy, but here we go:

Hit four switches + thing at the bottom to damage him.

First stage just run around him to avoid the beam.

Second stage, stay on the bottom and go left/right as needed. Clear out the enemies and he won't be able to hurt you.

Third stage, stay directly below where the attacking thing is and it won't be able to hit you at all. Go out to hit the switches in between the attacks.

Using a shield helps negate the damage as well as bringing bandages if you're going to get hit a lot.

Completely unrelated to this boss specifically, but I've found that some Mushroom vendors will sell you weapons and they seem to be completely bugged. Their inventory is randomized each time you select a weapon in their shop and randomized further when you buy one. You can easily get a gun that does near 200 damage by buying a bunch of weapons from it. Just remember each time you select a weapon the stats change, usually going up. Select a weapon till it gets stats near high enough and usually the one you'll buy will be somewhere close to it statwise. If not, just repeat till you get something good.

I've also encountered the mushroom vendor bug you speak of.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

DeliciousCookie posted:

How do you hit the switches up top while staying at the bottom?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LAY-ZX posted:

How do you hit the switches up top while staying at the bottom?

Rush up to the top while the boss is doing its animation where it spits out an enemy. Having the fall-damage-negating-bubble tech to shave some time off your descent at this point helps.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Pakled posted:

Rush up to the top while the boss is doing its animation where it spits out an enemy. Having the fall-damage-negating-bubble tech to shave some time off your descent at this point helps.

This. Very much this. I did the boss without the fall damage negating tech, and good god how I suffered.

JerikTelorian posted:

So the Dreadwing fight is super annoying and unfun. Any suggestions for how to get past this thing?
I could see the fight being interesting if he had 1/3 or even half the health, but this is just a slog.
The dreadwing fight was waaay easier than the mining facility. It sounds absurd, but you can parry the UFO's ground slam attack AND the carpet-bombing strafe. I used a one-handed grenade launcher on the UFO/tanks and a heavy pistol that fired bone shards against infantry penguins. If you're stuck with no guns/mining facility guns, poke around the surface of some planets for chests and mushroom arms salesman. Trying to do that fight with melee weapons is suicidal, as some of the infantry penguins seem to suicide bomb themselves on death and the tanks fire pretty damaging shells. You want guns you can use with one hand, because you will wind up getting hit by the UFO's slams. Shields are your friend.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Why isn't there a direct teleport to outpost once you unlock it?

Why is it lagging so bad?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Musluk posted:

I dunno. :v: You can set any of the portals to the outpost as your home, though, so you can beam to the portal from any point for no fuel and no travel time.

quote:

The game is poorly optimized at this point. I've noticed that occasionally for me, the game will start lagging badly, especially sometimes when I alt-tab out, but quitting the game and restarting fixes it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

:wtc: And is it still barren of ore, too? 'Cause that was at least a semi-reasonable "stopgap until we decide what to do" solution. Is sand basically just a recolored dirt now?

I'm still going to hold out a foolish hope that sandphysics are just being reworked and will come back, but I know it's stupid to think that.

Musluk posted:

They did new performance "upgrades" that seem to be extremely split between "yeah much better" and "wtf happened". Are you using the 64-bit OpenGL version?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I would also like to see the climbing rope have a little bit of an ark to it. Would make it easier to scale cliffs.

Also,I know I'm having on the climbing rope too much... I have a problem.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Musluk posted:

I could also ask why there isn't a beam directly to your home planet button, rather than having to go to your ship THEN your home planet. Going from the outpost to your home planet goes outpost -> gate - > ship - > planet. It's stupid as gently caress and just slows everything the gently caress down. I also hate how long it takes for you to fly somewhere. Is that masking some sort of loading? If not, why is there a mechanic that literally just encourages me to alt tab and browse the internet instead of playing the game?

Slime fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2015

Musluk
May 23, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Are you using the 64-bit OpenGL version?

Yes.

My guess? Preallocating resources to the mazewalker game. I'd take a loading screen there.

Pakled posted:

I dunno. :v: You can set any of the portals to the outpost as your home, though, so you can beam to the portal from any point for no fuel and no travel time.

That's not exactly a fix though, especially if I wanted to set up something planetside.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Slime posted:

I could also ask why there isn't a beam directly to your home planet button, rather than having to go to your ship THEN your home planet. Going from the outpost to your home planet goes outpost -> gate - > ship - > planet. It's stupid as gently caress and just slows everything the gently caress down. I also hate how long it takes for you to fly somewhere. Is that masking some sort of loading? If not, why is there a mechanic that literally just encourages me to alt tab and browse the internet instead of playing the game?

I don't know if you can say that it's "masking" the loading when it's straight-up showing you the code as it's being executed.

But yeah the amount of steps you have to take to move from one planet to another is bonkers. The bookmarking & teleportation system is sorely needed.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 1, 2015

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Tenbux McGee posted:

The dreadwing fight was waaay easier than the mining facility. It sounds absurd, but you can parry the UFO's ground slam attack AND the carpet-bombing strafe. I used a one-handed grenade launcher on the UFO/tanks and a heavy pistol that fired bone shards against infantry penguins. If you're stuck with no guns/mining facility guns, poke around the surface of some planets for chests and mushroom arms salesman. Trying to do that fight with melee weapons is suicidal, as some of the infantry penguins seem to suicide bomb themselves on death and the tanks fire pretty damaging shells. You want guns you can use with one hand, because you will wind up getting hit by the UFO's slams. Shields are your friend.

I took him down with nothing but dual swords. First of all, go back to the left as soon as the UFO spawns so you don't have to deal with tanks. The swoop attack can be dodged just by ducking, and you can wail on him while he's doing it. The suicide bomber penguins have such a short-range explosion even a small knife lets you dodge it as long as you hit them with the tip. As for the slams, I honestly don't know how you're getting hit by those, they will literally miss 100% of the time if you are walking forward. Dreadwing is a really simple and fun fight.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Slime posted:

I think that they should have some kind of portal jumping animation for in between stars. That would shorten it up and still make you feel like your going a long way.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Tin Tim posted:

JerikTelorian posted:

So the Dreadwing fight is super annoying and unfun. Any suggestions for how to get past this thing?
I could see the fight being interesting if he had 1/3 or even half the health, but this is just a slog.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/easier-bosses-upbeat-giraffe.2490/

Slime posted:

Oh, another stupid thing. The crafting table you make to use rubium/volium/aegisalt requires you to use your replicator as a component. That would be fine, IF the new crafting table could make everything the replicator could. It cannot.

gently caress, really? what stuff?

XboxPants posted:

:wtc: And is it still barren of ore, too? 'Cause that was at least a semi-reasonable "stopgap until we decide what to do" solution. Is sand basically just a recolored dirt now?

This is untrue, i've definitely seen loose sand working like before. No ore though :(

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Must have been a bug on my end.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I just realized something really simple: the microdungeon system could be used to add big ore veins. Really easily. Just make a microdungeon that's nothing but dirt/stone blocks with a generous vein of ore in it. Then set those microdungeons to spawn generously.

Right now ore spawns in decent amounts, but it's too random. It's extremely spotty, with a whole bunch of little groups of 2 or 3, instead of big veins. This would go a long way towards solving that problem.

There's another problem where Tier 1 planets are completely obsolete when you get to Tier 2 or Tier 3. This could also help address that issue - spawn in small amounts of Tier+1 or Tier+2 ore veins on planets, so that you can go back to an earlier Tier and plow through the caves looking for those pockets of ore if you want. Instead of slowly making your way through a higher-tier planet, you can blast through a Tier-1 world and still find some Titanium pockets or whatever. It wouldn't solve that "old planets are obsolete" problem on its own, but it'd help.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone got an avian town with a golden ducky? Only thing I need.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I have yet to find a micro dungeon...

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

XboxPants posted:

I just realized something really simple: the microdungeon system could be used to add big ore veins. Really easily. Just make a microdungeon that's nothing but dirt/stone blocks with a generous vein of ore in it. Then set those microdungeons to spawn generously.

Right now ore spawns in decent amounts, but it's too random. It's extremely spotty, with a whole bunch of little groups of 2 or 3, instead of big veins. This would go a long way towards solving that problem.

There's another problem where Tier 1 planets are completely obsolete when you get to Tier 2 or Tier 3. This could also help address that issue - spawn in small amounts of Tier+1 or Tier+2 ore veins on planets, so that you can go back to an earlier Tier and plow through the caves looking for those pockets of ore if you want. Instead of slowly making your way through a higher-tier planet, you can blast through a Tier-1 world and still find some Titanium pockets or whatever. It wouldn't solve that "old planets are obsolete" problem on its own, but it'd help.

Also this is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheSpookyDanger posted:

gently caress, really? what stuff?

It doesn't seem to be able to make anything the replicator can. You'll have to make an entire new replicator, which is kind of a loving pain in the loving rear end, especially when you've already used yours.

• Locked thread