Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Huh, 160 new posts since last time I checked? Man, I wonder what...

quote:

GAMERGATEGRAMBLEGRATEGARBLEGABE

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Rebochan posted:

Uhhh...So...Cracked is a site? They posted a few good videos I think.

Cracked Talks about the Super Bowl

Michael Swaim looks at some PSAs

And a look at why advertising doesn't work anymore

I'm sorry if these don't count as reviews but...just anything to get away from THAT

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
:ohdear: talking about crackeddotcom is a trigger for most goons.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hey, it could be eBaumsworld.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Almost got through all the episodes of WEE, and being exposed to "Homer Face" may be one of the most painful experiences I've ever had. I didn't even know they did a Lady Gaga episode, let alone what was basically a Lady Gaga promotional piece. Even the Critic episode had decent writing and some memorable bits.

The truly amazing part is that South Park included Poker Face in an episode BEFORE the Simpsons did it... and it was funnier because it was used to highlight the apathy of the characters to a serious issue. And also because frankly Trey Parker could carry the tune better.

I just got through the episode on the Christmas special, and I'm starting at the rankings list trying to comprehend what lays before me as I see an episode ranked even lower than that. What in the hell, Al Jean, do you just not care anymore ever since The Critic failed (three times)?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rebochan posted:

I guess the thread title should be changed since it's certainly not 0 days.

Although I guess it's not much of a bomb as it is a very stinky fart.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Rebochan posted:

Almost got through all the episodes of WEE, and being exposed to "Homer Face" may be one of the most painful experiences I've ever had.

Large Marge has a worse song playing through the credits. Who Let Her Jugs Out by the Baha Men

The last few pages have made me seriously consider giving WEE its own thread.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 1, 2015

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Gonna add WEE into my podcast rotation, although it does make for something of a sad listen. I knew "The Simpsons" got pretty stagnant but I was blissfully unaware of some of the lows. Well, except Marge on the cover of Playboy, which was just :what:

Tracula posted:

:ohdear: talking about crackeddotcom is a trigger for most goons.
Is there a particular reason for this? I'm honestly curious. I thought Cracked was just sort of the same wheelhouse as Buzzfeed; overwritten clickbait schlock. Did they steal SA material or something?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I know i pissed off everyone here, but i do think WEE is a great podcast. i love the simpsons of the 90's but it looks like the series cratered. marge in playboy is just...well it a cartoon in a nudey mag i will say no more.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Robert Denby posted:

Gonna add WEE into my podcast rotation, although it does make for something of a sad listen. I knew "The Simpsons" got pretty stagnant but I was blissfully unaware of some of the lows. Well, except Marge on the cover of Playboy, which was just :what:

Is there a particular reason for this? I'm honestly curious. I thought Cracked was just sort of the same wheelhouse as Buzzfeed; overwritten clickbait schlock. Did they steal SA material or something?

The only good thing on Cracked is SeanBaby and he just doesn't produce enough content. There are more bad articles on Cracked than there are days between Seanbaby articles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cracked is generally tolerable provided that you never, ever read a single thing from Gladstone.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Oxxidation posted:

Cracked is generally tolerable provided that you never, ever read a single thing from Gladstone.
or John Cheese

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Or any of their video skits, pretty much.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/top-ten-best-hit-songs-of-2014-pt-2-7149695

Todd's Best, Part Deux.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

It's kind of impressive that Bruno Mars had both a "Lazy Song" and "Uptown Funk" in him. He is large, and contains multitudes.

Of songs.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's kind of impressive that Bruno Mars had both a "Lazy Song" and "Uptown Funk" in him. He is large, and contains multitudes.

Of songs.

It's so weird that he doesn't really have a personality unless he's playing a homage to older songs from the 70s and 80s. Treasure was pretty fantastic also and that was early R&B style.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Benny the Snake posted:

or John Cheese

Cheese is great as a motivational speaker for awkward teen dudes who have no idea what to do in life but drat if every single article isn't the exact same thing (aka Cracked dot com)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Of songs.

Forget Lazy Song, Grenade is an order of magnitude worse.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Thanks for introducing "Rather Be" to me. It's a good song. It's very clean.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I gotta say I think Uptown Funk is one of Bruno Mars' worst songs. Give me Grenade any day over the MOST generic funk tune I have ever heard. At least most retro-pop songs that aren't just sampling don't feel like they're just going through the motions as much as possible, no matter how bad they might be. Ugh, I can't stand the song.

E: Noting that I've only heard the most popular Bruno Mars songs, I'm sure he has some worse poo poo around since it's not like Uptown Funk is actively unpleasant.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 1, 2015

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Cyron posted:

i will say no more.

For your sake I hope you stick to this.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

OctoberCountry posted:

For your sake I hope you stick to this.

haha, no i won't.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 1, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Vicas posted:

Cheese is great as a motivational speaker for awkward teen dudes who have no idea what to do in life but drat if every single article isn't the exact same thing (aka Cracked dot com)

Their writing is kind of weird on the sense that it both expects you to have some sort of background (So that the title guy and such can work thru something that can *blow your mind*), but not too much so that a lot of their stuff doesn't get too hard to write. That being said, I get the feeling they've been slowly learning from past mistakes and they've been trying to put less articles per day and have been less about thumping their chest as an unified editorial voice. So you don't get poo poo like one article horrified, just HORRIFIED that a reporter might have had talked with a Taliban enforcer and then another article where a reporter talks about being with them, and both written as "WE CRACKED BELIEVE IN THE FREEDOMS".

They're still a bit afraid to switch into something like a Sans-VDARE-affliated-founder Vice, so they get very wordy "listicles" that could have worked better as a straight article and a "title guy".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

(Post shows now!)

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, I saw that too. Weird forums bullshit

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I read Vice :shrug: Is the gooncensus not good about it?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
They're what got me to find out about The Worst Idea of All Time podcast as I previously mentioned so they get credit for that at least. They're like anything really. Some of their content is good, some isn't :shrug:. Some of their headlines are clickbaity as gently caress but pretty much every website does that these days so I can't complain too much.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Benny the Snake posted:

Don't know about the consensus, but Vice's videos tend to be vastly superior to their written pieces.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Gavin McInnes, the founder, writes for VDARE and is somewhat horrifying with transfolk.

Otherwise, they're more ambitious and they do send a lot of people on location, which may be a good thing or not depending on your stance on giving the MTV treatment on areas of conflict.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Insurrectionist posted:

I gotta say I think Uptown Funk is one of Bruno Mars' worst songs.

I'm not really a huge fan of it either, but I'm not a fan of Bruno Mars in general.

I'll take Boom Clack over it any day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kunster posted:

Gavin McInnes, the founder, writes for VDARE and is somewhat horrifying with transfolk.

Otherwise, they're more ambitious and they do send a lot of people on location, which may be a good thing or not depending on your stance on giving the MTV treatment on areas of conflict.

McInnes is a white supremacist but hasn't been with Vice since 2007. He is scum.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Uptown Funk is amazing and deserves its #1 spot on the list.

But yeah, Bruno Mars is his best when he's copying other people. Otherwise we get Grenade, and others like it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Benny the Snake posted:

The best description of Vice I've heard is "Fratboy CNN". There's a lot of cool stuff there, but way too many of their documentaries are littered with embarrassing attempts by the documentarion to desperately inject himself into the story or essentially go "poo poo man this is.....messed up, like, wow man never knew about this!" because he has literally nothing of worth to say on the topic. A good example I watched recently is on Snake Island, a small island covered in incredibly deadly snakes. It's a very interesting topic but half the drat show was the guy going "Oh man! This sure is scary! I sure hope no mean old snake bites me!" over and over like holy poo poo dude, we loving get it, how about just filming the drat island and the people who go to it.

Vice has also made some of the most egregious examples of clickbaity poo poo I've ever seen on their site since they'll put up articles that are basically "Why (insert popular movie/TV show/album) is poo poo and you're a loving idiot for liking it" that are pure concentrated :smug: so they can rile people up in the comments section.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 1, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just gonna leave this here.

https://twitter.com/Vice_Is_Hip

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Some of these are way too believable.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

The Monkey Man posted:

Large Marge has a worse song playing through the credits. Who Let Her Jugs Out by the Baha Men

ohgodwhydidireadthat

quote:

The last few pages have made me seriously consider giving WEE its own thread.

I'd be all about that, just listening to it has gotten me interested in the classic Simpsons again. It's kind of weird realizing what a big deal it was when I was a kid and that it's still chugging forward even though it's downright terrible.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Listening to the first episode of WEE, and both hosts have declared that they enjoy Ke$ha... :negative:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheMaestroso posted:

Listening to the first episode of WEE, and both hosts have declared that they enjoy Ke$ha... :negative:

This is because Ke$ha is amazing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah man, don't be like that. Ke$ha's a cool person with some cool songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ke$ha is pretty cool and Die Young is a loving amazing song. :colbert:

• Locked thread