Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FrozenVent posted:

there's value in reaching consumers in emerging markets

go down to Africa or something sometime and count the billboards and poo poo

by facebook's own number's:
- a u.s. user is worth about $9 a year
- europeans are worth about $3
- emerging markets are about $1

it's a huge problem to be shedding users in america and gaining them where they're not valuable

the slide from their q4 '14 earnings deck:

FrozenVent posted:

also when china finally officially gets on Facebook... loving lol

china already has its own facebook clone, just like it has its own google and twitter equivalents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

on television, that's ok. tv ads are actually good and entertaining (the first few times you see them) and they're at least a not-bad part of the television experience

nobody has ever felt that way about the ads getting in the way of whatever bullshit they're reading. oh hey some totally extraneous text with a logo, glad i got to ~*~ engage that brand ~*~

except promoted material is slipping into content on tv. parks and rec just had an episode where the whole scene was various angles of a car's name and logo as the characters used some feature in a hamfisted plot point

fringe was p bad for this too

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingexecutive posted:

except promoted material is slipping into content on tv. parks and rec just had an episode where the whole scene was various angles of a car's name and logo as the characters used some feature in a hamfisted plot point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dr5lXmB7SQ

ford *and* blackberry

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

did that car park itself?!?! :pusheen:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

china already has its own facebook clone, just like it has its own google and twitter equivalents

there's more than 1 but nobody uses them. i wouldnt be surprised if theres more mainland chinese people with a facebook account than users of any of the chinese facebook clones

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fart simpson posted:

there's more than 1 but nobody uses them. i wouldnt be surprised if theres more mainland chinese people with a facebook account than users of any of the chinese facebook clones

i thought tencent's stuff was pretty popular

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

computer parts posted:

i thought tencent's stuff was pretty popular

yeah but its not a facebook clone really and their stuff is also getting eaten up by wechat. qq space or whatever its called is more like a livejournal clone than a facebook clone

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

itc the less than 1% of global the population of people who know anything substantial about computers talk about why their ad experience is the same as the rest of the planet

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
~~data positive~~

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
anarcho-capitalism is so romantic

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

jfc death to capitalism

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if they're so data-positive (retch) and solution-oriented (huurgh) why don't they look at the thousands of years of historical data where people have repeatedly discovered "actually monogamy seems to be the best of several bad ways of handling human relationships"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

note he says "aspiring" designer-entrepreneur. only in silicon valley can you get away with claiming recognition for something you haven't done, but really want to

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

if they're so data-positive (retch) and solution-oriented (huurgh) why don't they look at the thousands of years of historical data where people have repeatedly discovered "actually monogamy seems to be the best of several bad ways of handling human relationships"

because then they wouldn't get to sleep around while framing it as being more enlightened than everyone else.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you guys wanna have a burning man meat up?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I am so sick and tired of these pretentious rich assholes and their behavior..

Two nights ago..I pick up a super rich diva..in Eldorado hills (Beverly Hills of sac).. she insists on bringing her dog.. Finally I relented .. during the ride she asked if I had bottled water for ...the dog! I said sorry.. I don't.. she made me pull over at a store and she bought some water for her dog.. we proceeded to the movie theater and I dropped her off. No tip..
Then as I'm driving away I get another ping..it was a worker from a coffee shop in the same complex..as she gets in she says your back seat and carpet is wet. I pull over and sure enough the dog had urinated in my car.. and on my seats.. The rich bitch didn't even bother to inform me..

I immideately contact uber and after some haggling they give me $100.. cleaning fee.. which I still believe is not adequate. As the damage is far worse.

To add a positive note to this story..the pax who worked at the coffee shop, went back in and brought cleaning supplies to help clean the back seat..even after I insisted it wasn't necessary..

So basically a low wage worker goes out of her way to help me clean the mess a pretentious rich brat and her dog did..

Rich assholes are no longer welcome in my car. I will stick to picking up from the "ghetto" and other working class neighborhoods. Those people care about your property and respect you and actually tip..

Oh and as for the coffee shop worker she tipped $5. I told her I couldn't accept it, as she helped me literally clean up dog urine. She Insisted. I told her I should have been the one tipping her. And refused the tip..no way could I accept it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Condiv posted:

Rich assholes are no longer welcome in my car. I will stick to picking up from the "ghetto" and other working class neighborhoods. Those people care about your property and respect you and actually tip..

Oh and as for the coffee shop worker she tipped $5. I told her I couldn't accept it, as she helped me literally clean up dog urine. She Insisted. I told her I should have been the one tipping her. And refused the tip..no way could I accept it.

this is actually kind of refreshing

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sagebrush posted:

this is actually kind of refreshing

tbh, this was pretty much how it was when i was delivering pizza. all my best tips came from people with tiny houses. the people in the mcmansions could never spare even a quarter

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
isn't not-tipping kind of the point of uber?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oddly enough, uber drivers don't think so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, unlike on a taxi you can't even get a receipt for it on a business trip

i mean, when i first used an uber i was looking confused at my phone as the driver drove off trying to see where you add the tip

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean, when i first used an uber i was looking confused at my phone as the driver drove off trying to see where you add the tip

your driver was doing the same thing, driving out trying to find female passengers to which he could add the tip

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

hobbesmaster posted:

uber's gone a step further to screw its drivers by telling people the tip is factored into the fare they pay

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Condiv posted:

tbh, this was pretty much how it was when i was delivering pizza. all my best tips came from people with tiny houses. the people in the mcmansions could never spare even a quarter

Oh, I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

your driver was doing the same thing, driving out trying to find female passengers to which he could add the tip

boooo!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

Oh, I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks!

i give god 10%, why do you get 18?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Condiv posted:

it's almost like the rich have no empathy

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

you know they email you a receipt right? with the mileage and fare and everything. it's what i use to expense uber rides when I do it for work.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol if you don't think everyone in those mcmansions is mortgaged to the tits

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

good luck if you are dealing with a rich old guy.

"Excuse me I believe the total was $19.93 and I gave you $20."

Or rich old white guys at chinese buffet after church *leaves card good for one soul-saving*.

Thug Bonnet
Sep 22, 2004

anime tits ftw

Another industry destroyed by over-regulation. Hiring rapists isn't Uber's fault, the rapists failed to self-report and should be held accountable.

That's a real thought at least one thousand white tech dorks have had

Apr 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

good luck if you are dealing with a rich old guy.

"Excuse me I believe the total was $19.93 and I gave you $20."

Or rich old white guys at chinese buffet after church *leaves card good for one soul-saving*.

Most of those people aren't rich, they want to appear rich.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

postin family guy itt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNY8T6RLEX8

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

Most of those people aren't rich, they want to appear rich.

yeah, the real rich don't even go to the same neighborhoods as us plebes

the almost-rich who still have to put in an appearance at the office are even worse though. even though they only make six or seven digits a year, they tend to act even more entitled about it because they feel like they're actually earning that money through hard work and poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
doctors are absolutely wealthy and assholes

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

makes em good and salty though. nice savory mouthfeel.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

theflyingexecutive posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost