Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

AgentHaiTo posted:

I was also thinking of that, and so worried about the baby :( It looked so happy breast feeding too. See, she isn't that bad a mom.

When I watched the breast feeding scene I couldn't help but wonder if an all-human diet is actually healthy for the baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Renoistic posted:

When I watched the breast feeding scene I couldn't help but wonder if an all-human diet is actually healthy for the baby.

Well, I guess it would depend on how healthy her diet is. :v:

I wonder if she got weirdly specific cravings while she was pregnant? Like "drat, I need a 34 year old Chinese accountant right now!"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She's clearly eating every single nutrient required to build a healthy human body so I don't see the problem :colbert:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The next episode will be great.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
this show is so hilarious and fun to watch. shinichi was going all little mac in the forest

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

drat that was another great episode. I really love the direction Reiko is headed in, as the reverse of Shinichi.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I hope we see more of the old [actual] detective, he seems cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We need Reiko gifs. You know the scenes I mean.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Getting strong Philip Glass Koyaanisqatsi from that cool organ battle theme. Another great episode! Seeing how the Parasytes/Reiko are developing is really interesting.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

We need Reiko gifs. You know the scenes I mean.

i know what scenes you mean and ive got your covered

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That fight definitely did not go the way I expected it to :psyduck:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Man the time between the episodes keeps feeling longer and the episodes keep feeling shorter.

I feel like those weird weeks at the end of the year with double episodes or skip a week broke that feeling. 20 minutes out of 7 days isn't a lot of time!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

Getting strong Philip Glass Koyaanisqatsi from that cool organ battle theme. Another great episode! Seeing how the Parasytes/Reiko are developing is really interesting.

For some reason it reminded me of Cybotron's Colossus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHEtargRXQ

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

For some reason it reminded me of Cybotron's Colossus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHEtargRXQ

Oh yeah I can totally hear that. What a dope song. There's something about an electronic organ that just works for science fiction.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Solid episode but is anyone else getting annoyed with Murano? I mean, all the character does is frown and show up at the wrong place at the wrong time. I get it that they're trying to add some sort of relationship element in with the main character but something about her pisses me off for whatever reason. Maybe it's the hair.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's that she is a completely static character who spends most of her time repeating a thematic point that is quite frankly, probably too heavy-handed even without her

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
This show is too good at tragedy. RIP Sherlock Holmes :(

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kana at least had the decency to die.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Why the hell did Murano show up to the same park anyway?

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

MONKET posted:

Why the hell did Murano show up to the same park anyway?

She saw Shinichi on the bus, then saw Reiko in the crowd and follows them(?) for whatever stupid reason to the park to mope on a bench.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It definitely looks like Reiko intends to hand over the baby to Shinichi. Makes me wonder how Murano is going to react when he shows up with a baby :D

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Renoistic posted:

It definitely looks like Reiko intends to hand over the baby to Shinichi. Makes me wonder how Murano is going to react when he shows up with a baby :D

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She'll react the same way she reacts to everything: "Are you really Shinichi?"

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Serious Frolicking posted:

She'll react the same way she reacts to everything: "Are you really Shinichi?"

Now I need to see her saying that to the baby.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe it's just been so long since I've read the manga but I don't remember Murano being so one note in the original. She probably was and I just forgot tho.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Maybe it's just been so long since I've read the manga but I don't remember Murano being so one note in the original. She probably was and I just forgot tho.

I recently marathonned through the entire manga and yes, she is.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

afaik this is a super straight forward adaptation

probably just seems like less time is spent on her when you can just quickly read through her scenes

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Murano's not the most interesting character, but she is kind of incredibly important since she's the one single link Shinichi has to his old humanity - she liked him when he was just nerdy, boring Shinichi, and not the buff guy with superpowers.

Seriously, his dad's completely messed up over how he watched his wife die, his mom became a parasite, Kana's dead, Reiko's a parasite, he and Murano's mutual friend is messed up over watching Hideo's face rip open and try to kill her, the PI's been rattled by the truth about everything, all that's really there is Murano, who only sees the person, not the monster he thinks he might be. She's at once both the beginning and the end for Shinichi - she's the normal life he yearns to return to. This of course is inherently less interesting and dramatic than battling the physicality and contending with the minds of flesh T-1000s, so it's no wonder she comes off as a drag on the proceedings.

That and she really doesn't have an arc of her own - she's kind of a plot device, only popping up to force Shinichi in one direction or another mentally (and sometimes, physically) or to raise the stakes for him. At the same time, though, she's a much better fleshed-out plot device than a lot of 80s shonen manga girlfriends are. She exists in a weird half-realm of characterization, but I don't think you could get rid of her completely and have the story still work.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you probably couldn't axe her entirely but she doesn't need nearly this much screentime, and you could easily give her the same role in the plot while giving her something approaching a character of her own

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
On the other hand, if she keeps hanging around Shinichi she'll probably get axed for real.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

One can only hope. She's easily the worst part of the show by miles. The show has great pacing, but grinds to an awful, awkward halt every time she appears on screen.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo that was a good episode!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Make sure you watch the credits until the end rather than skipping right to the next episode preview!

Shinichi is back :unsmith:

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Slow pace but the episode kinda made up for it, especially the second half with it's usual cliffhanger ending.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Bricklord posted:

Slow pace but the episode kinda made up for it, especially the second half with it's usual cliffhanger ending.

It packed a lot of heavy moments in one episode. I thought it was almost too fast paced.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

It packed a lot of heavy moments in one episode. I thought it was almost too fast paced.

Without a doubt a lot went on. I just felt that for the entirety of the episode they were in a single place with dialog being the majority of the content, as opposed to action. Maybe I'm just used to watching different shows, but I got the feeling that they were going to be in the park forever talking (on top of everything else that happened which is important of course) before ending at the police station.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
That line they added about Gotoh and parasites being fragile seemed out of place

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
That was a really loving great episode. It seems like that whole first half was probably one chapter, it must have been really excellent to read as it came out. Tamura did a fantastic job humanizing the Parasytes, and so many other arcs just all came to a head at once, and the music going along with it was great too. (I'm really glad I listen to the ED every time so I built up an emotional connection to it :unsmith:)

The new stuff is interesting too, though. I'm glad they're following up on the psychic sense stuff.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Relin posted:

That line they added about Gotoh and parasites being fragile seemed out of place

That's in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Relin posted:

It really makes sense, though. I just never expected this to turn into some kind of metaphor for how we treat some kind of minority group.

What actually would kind of fit would maybe be a metaphor for animal rights and animal cruelty, especially intelligent animals like primates like a Chimpanzee or a Gorilla, though a man-eater like a Tiger would work too, or any other animal; it doesn't have to be a specific animal. It would fit in a whole lot of ways. Like Gotoh, calling them "fragile" seems absurd but compared to us as a species? Totally true.

• Locked thread