Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was sincere when I said that cop is a bad man.

NYC is an inhuman city-scale cesspit ruled by inbred East Coast aristocracy and nouveau riche Wall Street psychopaths ceaselessly fawned over by a throng of bourgie hipster sycophants while they poo poo down on the world protected by an army of blue-jacketed bullyboys. If you aren't one of the above the only reason you are even allowed in their towering hive of misery is so you can deliver them an authentic, fair trade, organic, gluten free Moldovan dinner on Christmas Day and get stiffed on the tip.

Holy poo poo dude what is your problem with NYC? It's not even an outlier in regards to police abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

CheesyDog posted:

And CPS workers generally have a college degree with requirements for a Master's degree to advance. And have an average salary of maybe $35,000, around $22,000 less than the average police salary. And are not allowed to carry weapons. And have to drive their own cars for work. And are mostly women who walk into potentially dangerous situations on a daily basis. And have to file documentation of every single professional conversation and phone call that they make.

I know this is from further back, but THIS. My gf is a social worker and if you think cops have a "dangerous job," look up "case management" in community mental health (she's been subsequently promoted and is in a different aspect of community mental health now). This is an ENTRY level position in the field so you get fresh college students who then have to use their own cars to ferry the absolute least desirable people around the city for hours getting them their money, get them to appointments, find them housing, get them in and out of jail/hospitals/court, etc.

They're exposed to weapons, drugs, drug deals, the "literal" worst places in the city, IV needles (a coworker just got pricked by two needles in a client's bag and now probably has hep and maybe HIV, you never know right?), etc. They get paid poo poo, no one appreciates them or their work, they get burnt out in droves and head off for the private sector, and can lose their licenses/jobs for incredibly stupid asinine reasons. And they want to make this entry level job require a masters and a license.

How did cops get it so good? I mean, they have it pretty loving good. Why lower requirements for a job that requires you to go the same places as a social worker and interact with the same people, and have control over their life and death?

edit: basically where is the low level cop job that requires a post-grad degree and professional licensing (including tons of supervision).

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 1, 2015

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

mlmp08 posted:

So I guess cops should protect crowds of the majority who organize to block minorities from getting to work. lol if cops really worked that way, it would be the worst poo poo ever.

Protecting one group does not preclude protecting another, you present a false dichotomy. Also, peoples voices are more important than working.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Tell that to the millions who lose a day of work and potentially with it their rent.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vahakyla posted:

Tell that to the millions who lose a day of work and potentially with it their rent.

Surely a protest movement like occupy wallstreet, wouldn't help these people at all?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Powercrazy posted:

Well what do you do when someone breaks into a business? In theory the police come and arrest them, that has nothing to do with a protest, you also don't need "advanced tactics" in order to arrest an individual who is destroying property.

Are you saying there's no place for an organized police group who's specifically trained in dealing with large, uncontrollable group situations? Isn't one of the main complaints in this thread that the police don't have good/proper/sufficient/humane training and that helps leave their decision making open to nebulous and unreliable judgement?

If handled properly, which it probably won't be, you could have a group that doesn't panic under those situations and knows more or less exactly what to do without escalating things or resorting to brutality.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

Surely a protest movement like occupy wallstreet, wouldn't help these people at all?

You know it doesn't work like.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Faffel posted:

Are you saying there's no place for an organized police group who's specifically trained in dealing with large, uncontrollable group situations? Isn't one of the main complaints in this thread that the police don't have good/proper/sufficient/humane training and that helps leave their decision making open to nebulous and unreliable judgement?

If handled properly, which it probably won't be, you could have a group that doesn't panic under those situations and knows more or less exactly what to do without escalating things or resorting to brutality.

Hmm should federally funded counter insurgency program "the police" have trained dissent suppression squads I just don't know

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Woozy posted:

Hmm should federally funded counter insurgency program "the police" have trained dissent suppression squads I just don't know

I would trust the American police with unbridled military power. You don't need to have them armed any more heavily than they are, though.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 1, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Faffel posted:

Since no such group has ever had a positive effect on either public order or freedom of expression, it seems equally reasonable to demand they not exist, as it is to demand they somehow become better. Especially since we have no template for making them better.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
According to a friend in the NYPD, the task force is being trained on the use of various types of high-powered weapons, but those weapons are not to be used for protest situations or basically ever appear in public outside of potential terror targets like New Year's Eve in Times Square or the NYC Marathon.

I'd rather see a dedicated task force than watch every precinct increasingly militarize itself individually, but I guess we have no choice but to wait and see how this plays out. The NYPD's approach towards protesters, like most urban PDs, has been callous at best.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

SedanChair posted:

Since no such group has ever had a positive effect on either public order or freedom of expression, it seems equally reasonable to demand they not exist, as it is to demand they somehow become better. Especially since we have no template for making them better.

The entire concept of a riot large enough to warrant an organized, specially trained reaction is a bit of a jerk-off fantasy for militarists anyway. But Vancouver is an example of a riot that didn't have any political reasoning and was surprisingly violent, so it's not utterly impossible. It didn't require a specialized police force to stop, though.

E: Also the chances of that potential gargantuan riot resulting from a protest are slim to none.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 1, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Faffel posted:

It didn't require a specialized police force to stop

And there's the answer to your question:

Faffel posted:

Are you saying there's no place for an organized police group who's specifically trained in dealing with large, uncontrollable group situations?

Yes.

Jerob
Mar 4, 2007
SedanChair, are you calling for the police as a whole to not exist or for them simply to not show up to protests? I find both ideas to be fairly juvenile, but I wouldn't want to misrepresent your position.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jerob posted:

SedanChair, are you calling for the police as a whole to not exist or for them simply to not show up to protests? I find both ideas to be fairly juvenile, but I wouldn't want to misrepresent your position.

No to both, I am specifically talking about special units trained to respond to demonstrations. That's all we've been talking about for several pages.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
On the actual police reform front, Radley Balko recently wrote up a good analysis of two bills in Georgia and Utah that aim to change how SWAT-style raids are conducted.

Basically, he concludes that the Georgia law is half-assed because it just changes the standard for no-knock raids from "reasonable suspicion" to "probable cause." But the knock-and-announce standards on those raids are mostly just a formality; they gotta tap the door and say something before they apply the battering ram -- really not much of a difference than just blasting through to begin with.

The Utah law, he says is much more effective.

quote:

The bill would eliminate no-knock raids for the preservation of evidence. It would require the police to show that a suspect poses a risk to their safety for any forced-entry raid (not just a no-knock raid), and it raises the standard of evidence to probable cause. It would require raiding cops to wear uniforms with large, conspicuous lettering indicating that they are police, and it would require all raiding cops to wear a body camera. Incredibly, in Utah (and quite a few other places) the warrants for these raids can be issued by magistrates and justices of the peace who have no training in criminal law. The new bill would end that, too. Most interesting, the Utah bill would statutorily override the Supreme Court’s decision in Hudson v. Michigan. In that case, the court found that even when the police clearly violate the knock-and-announce rule, any evidence they find in the subsequent search can still be used against the suspect in court. Under this bill, such evidence would be inadmissible in Utah.

The Utah bill hasn't passed yet, though, so expect a lot of bitching and negotiating.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

No to both, I am specifically talking about special units trained to respond to demonstrations. That's all we've been talking about for several pages.

No there are posters who have been arguing that police should simply not even respond to protests at all. And they are wrong. At least they are so far removed from how the world works that they can be ignored.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mlmp08 posted:

We only use experienced attorneys to defend the more skillful police abuse.

That's not what I was saying. Where did you get defending out of that?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

That's not what I was saying. Where did you get defending out of that?

I was mostly being flippant rather than making a proper argument, so I'll retract the statement.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

No there are posters who have been arguing that police should simply not even respond to protests at all. And they are wrong. At least they are so far removed from how the world works that they can be ignored.

I'm not sure what this preening exercise is but it must be for somebody else's benefit. You can say that, but we don't have to agree with it.

There are many protests that do not require the firm, guiding presence of Mr. Policeman, and if you disagree you are so far removed from how the world works that you can be ignored.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

There are many protests that do not require the firm, guiding presence of Mr. Policeman, and if you disagree you are so far removed from how the world works that you can be ignored.

This is, again, a thing that I agree with. The specific argument I was calling out as stupid is that there should be no recourse from cops when protesters take over public space for an extended period of time and that cops should not show up at all during protests where there is violent crime being committed and instead dispatch cops purely in a responsive manner then try to find the handful of jerks who started smashing in windows rather than already being nearby and watching protesters so that, IF someone becomes violent, they can be more proactive.

Not controversial stuff.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Already being nearby" often seems to translate to "infiltrate leftist or minority groups before they even protest."

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
St Louis Cops are threatening a go slow if they get civilian oversight: http://thefreethoughtproject.com/st-louis-police-union-threaten-good-time-quit-slowdown-civilian-oversight-passes/

quote:

[St. Louis Police Officer’s Association spokesperson Jeff] Roorda announced that St. Louis police officers will quit the department or do only the bare minimum on patrol if the city creates the proposed civilian oversight board.

“They’d answer their calls when they got them, but as far as interrupting criminal behavior on their own, why in the world would they do that when their employers aren’t even supporting them?” Roorda said, he continued on to say that “nobody wants to be the next Darren Wilson.”

As with the NY go slow, once the vast crowds of anti-fluoridation protesters block all major thoroughfares in St Louis leading to massive minority job losses the Police will likely get all their own way.

Nonetheless the motion to create a create a seven member civilian oversight board looks certain to pass St Louis City Council later this month.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

New York Cop Pulls Gun on Teens Having Snowball Fight posted:

Fearing for his life, a New York cop pulled a gun on a group of teens having a snowball fight.

“Don’t loving move, guys,” the New Rochelle police officer can be heard on video as he points his gun at the youths, who are down on their knees with their hands in the air.

The cop proceeds to pat each of the youths down with one hand while holding the gun, continually telling them not to move.

Once the officer realized the fear was all in his head, he released the teens with no charges.

The officer had initially responded to a “disturbance,” according to Raw Story.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/01/new-york-cop-pulls-gun-teens-snowball-fight/

What do you suppose the odds are he'll face any consequences for drawing down on kids with snowballs? Or if some folks are still more concerned about fluoride, colloidal silver supplements, and the fringe outliers who bring their crazy pet issues to others' protests, maybe you can go make a LaRouche thread or something.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Nonetheless the motion to create a create a seven member civilian oversight board looks certain to pass St Louis City Council later this month.

Hopefully, the police will eventually get over it or forget and get back to doing their jobs just despite someone having oversight over their actions.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ReV VAdAUL posted:

St Louis Cops are threatening a go slow if they get civilian oversight: http://thefreethoughtproject.com/st-louis-police-union-threaten-good-time-quit-slowdown-civilian-oversight-passes/

As with the NY go slow, once the vast crowds of anti-fluoridation protesters block all major thoroughfares in St Louis leading to massive minority job losses the Police will likely get all their own way.

Are you being disingenuous or are you really just that obtuse?

The point of the anti-fluoride thing is that if you say that cops should let protesters block the interstate then that means any group of a dozen or people who agree on protesting over anything can block the interstate.

If you think cops should be selectively stopping protests based on the content of the message then a) you're loving retarded, and b) I don't think thats going to go the way you want it to.

Also the thought of "why are cops even at protests" is childish at best, there's an extremely high potential for both crime and plain old accidents at any place where large groups of people gather. The majority of protests (you know that ones that don't end up on the news), they just loving sit there drinking coffee keeping an eye out in case poo poo gets out of hand.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Do you guys really think that the police are all that's keeping a million different civil insurgency groups from spilling into the streets, smashing windows and occupying the TV station, inflamed with passionate outrage by the issues of water fluoridation and prayer in schools?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

prayer in schools
Because conservative Christians never bother anyone and certainly wouldn't be assholes about things.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Do you guys really think that the police are all that's keeping a million different civil insurgency groups from spilling into the streets, smashing windows and occupying the TV station, inflamed with passionate outrage by the issues of water fluoridation and prayer in schools?

I think they help.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Do you really think the reason people don't do these kind of things more often isn't because there are legal consequences?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It's almost like it isn't a binary choice between "no police at all" and "police bust into protests specifically to smack SedanChair because they've been monitoring his Internet posting."

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was sincere when I said that cop is a bad man.

NYC is an inhuman city-scale cesspit ruled by inbred East Coast aristocracy and nouveau riche Wall Street psychopaths ceaselessly fawned over by a throng of bourgie hipster sycophants while they poo poo down on the world protected by an army of blue-jacketed bullyboys. If you aren't one of the above the only reason you are even allowed in their towering hive of misery is so you can deliver them an authentic, fair trade, organic, gluten free Moldovan dinner on Christmas Day and get stiffed on the tip.

as a resident of NYC this is pretty much correct except you forgot to add that if you aren't in any of the former categories then the "blue-jacketed bullyboys" feel like an occupying force.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

Do you really think the reason people don't do these kind of things more often isn't because there are legal consequences?

Of course? It's because they're apathetic, or more charitably because they just want to live life as trouble-free as possible. People don't want to make a nuisance of themselves for the most part.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Of course? It's because they're apathetic, or more charitably because they just want to live life as trouble-free as possible. People don't want to make a nuisance of themselves for the most part.

People don't break the law not because of the consequences but because they're too lazy to get around to breaking the law.

That sounds plausible

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ReV VAdAUL posted:

How is this a bad thing? I'd WANT the cops that are so upset about oversight to quit the force. Hell fire all the cops as part of the measure then hire back a few of the "good ones" and some fresh blood.

Jarmak posted:

People don't break the law not because of the consequences but because they're too lazy to get around to breaking the law.

That sounds plausible

If the only reason you don't break the law is because "it's the law" then you really don't have the critical thinking skills to discuss policing in society.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

If you don't think that "because it's the law and I might be punished for it" factors into the decision making process you're an idiot who's contradicted by existing research. (Severity of punishment doesn't matter but probability of punishment absolutely does.)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

If you don't think that "because it's the law and I might be punished for it" factors into the decision making process you're an idiot who's contradicted by existing research. (Severity of punishment doesn't matter but probability of punishment absolutely does.)

Man we are just white-knuckling our way through having a civilization aren't we? Every one of us is just a pirate waiting to burst forth.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

Man we are just white-knuckling our way through having a civilization aren't we? Every one of us is just a pirate waiting to burst forth.
Two weeks without TV and LA would look like Mogadishu.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Jarmak posted:

Are you being disingenuous or are you really just that obtuse?

The point of the anti-fluoride thing is that if you say that cops should let protesters block the interstate then that means any group of a dozen or people who agree on protesting over anything can block the interstate.

If you think cops should be selectively stopping protests based on the content of the message then a) you're loving retarded, and b) I don't think thats going to go the way you want it to.

Also the thought of "why are cops even at protests" is childish at best, there's an extremely high potential for both crime and plain old accidents at any place where large groups of people gather. The majority of protests (you know that ones that don't end up on the news), they just loving sit there drinking coffee keeping an eye out in case poo poo gets out of hand.

So you're saying police selectively enforcing the law is a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

That sounds plausible

Uh, yes? Do you not murder people because you already don't want to, or just because it's illegal?

• Locked thread