Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The early promo I saw was on bethesdas youtube page and they own doom now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The latest Mythbusters episode has revealed a new :3: for me: Jamie giggling during the construction of something. Not when something goes wrong, not when there's something salient to giggle about, just when he's building something and he has a giggle fit during it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This "What Could Possibly Go Wrong?"... I like it. Yeah it's the old "macho dumb military jock vs. brainy expert" formula from Dual Survival, only applied to Mythbusters-style science experiments. And more importantly, the hosts play up those stereotypes but they actually seem to like each other (contrast with Cody/Dave or Adam/Jamie). I guess it only started tonight but I'd be down to watch more. With Mythbusters essentially axing half their programming, this might be a good option to air back-to-back.

edit: ahaha the Fresnel lens build.

:stare: "Don't put your hand in it!"

Hazo fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 8, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I loved the builds for both the motorcycle and the floating bikes. I do miss having Grant around but the show is undeniably great again. Zero clunkers at all since it came back.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I do sort of miss those drawings that are hand drawn before each myth is introduced.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Hazo posted:

This "What Could Possibly Go Wrong?"... I like it. Yeah it's the old "macho dumb military jock vs. brainy expert" formula from Dual Survival, only applied to Mythbusters-style science experiments. And more importantly, the hosts play up those stereotypes but they actually seem to like each other (contrast with Cody/Dave or Adam/Jamie). I guess it only started tonight but I'd be down to watch more. With Mythbusters essentially axing half their programming, this might be a good option to air back-to-back.

edit: ahaha the Fresnel lens build.

:stare: "Don't put your hand in it!"

If you haven't watched Dual Survival recently, Matt Graham replaced Cody this season, for a notable improvement. Having hosts that don't look at each other with thinly veiled contempt actually makes it worth watching again.

I don't miss the content cut from Mythbusters, the show is really enjoyable for the first time in years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I hope they revisit some myths from the build team era under the new style. It's not like it is unprecedented anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mraagvpeine posted:

I do sort of miss those drawings that are hand drawn before each myth is introduced.

I miss them too. The new look is a bit too slick, the drawings suited a couple of guys banging something together in a machine shop.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:rice:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Didn't Tanner Foust talk a blind guy through drifting a car into a parking space on Top Gear US?

In fact, this would be a really good episode of Top Gear.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That poor car they bought. They trashed the poo poo out of it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You can see Adam's full penis outline when he puts on the racing suit before they do the race course.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
e: wrong thread

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wish they could have tested an AWD car, too. There's a reason rally cars drift around tighter corners.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of crazy that that was listed as the season finale. Pretty short season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of crazy that that was listed as the season finale. Pretty short season.

Are you kidding me? That was the whole season? gently caress.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wish they could have tested an AWD car, too. There's a reason rally cars drift around tighter corners.

It has to do with friction coefficients and differences between asphalt and dirt/gravel. Driving normal is faster on the road, drifting is faster off the road.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Deadliest Catch is back on April 14th.

It's the same drat thing every year and every year I get super excited and watch every second.

Hooray

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
DC Is still worth it if you care about the ongoing saga (lol) of the Hansens and Harrises. Nobody cares about Wild Bill, the less said about Elliot the better, Keith is a madman who sends his crews on suicidal tasks, and the Hillstrands... eh. I'm indifferent towards them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My only fear is that Elliot and his goddamned drama threatens to turn this show into any of the many overly faked clones of this show. That poo poo with him being served his papers was almost like something out of Ax-Men.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kefkafloyd posted:

DC Is still worth it if you care about the ongoing saga (lol) of the Hansens and Harrises. Nobody cares about Wild Bill, the less said about Elliot the better, Keith is a madman who sends his crews on suicidal tasks, and the Hillstrands... eh. I'm indifferent towards them.

I really hope Josh succeeds and I'll always love the Hansen's

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I see where Les Stroud is coming back with more Bigfoot bullshit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I see where Les Stroud is coming back with more Bigfoot bullshit.

I remember seeing a commercial for that. I kept forgetting to ask whether or not that show was for real.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Whatever minimal amount of merit or virtue Deadliest Catch has or had, it can go gently caress itself for spawning a dozen lovely copycat shows about Alaska.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I had no idea how far Jake Harris has fallen in the last 3-4 years. In the newest DC they revealed that he broke into one of Phil's old pads and stole a bunch of stuff to keep his drug habit afloat.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Whatever minimal amount of merit or virtue Deadliest Catch has or had, it can go gently caress itself for spawning a dozen lovely copycat shows about Alaska.
That might be Sarah Palin's fault as much as anything else.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Chromatic posted:

I had no idea how far Jake Harris has fallen in the last 3-4 years. In the newest DC they revealed that he broke into one of Phil's old pads and stole a bunch of stuff to keep his drug habit afloat.

Yeah, this episode about the Harris brothers and the Cornelia Marie is :smith: as gently caress.

I still miss Phil, he was by far my favorite captain.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that shitdick grifter didn't help.

And robbing people to support a drug habit is the truest story discovery has ever told about commercial fishing. If I ever want to get coked up and gently caress randos the first place I'll go is the Dillingham boat yard.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I had no idea this show was back but THANKFULLY I managed to hopefully get my DVR set up to catch me up. And I luckily just caught the Cornelia Marie special while I was doing so.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Discovery seems to be shoveling as much money as they can at Josh Harris, which is good because he deserves it.

Glad to see Sig is still an obsessive maniac, the Hillstrands are normal, Wild Bill has no people skills, Keith is a rage machine, and Elliot hasn't learned anything from rehab. Nothing ever changes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Did Elliot say he had the biggest quota of the fleet for King Crab? How do people keep trusting him with so much responsibility? The sad thing is, he shows flashes of absolute brilliance. Last episode he seemed to handle his winch completely breaking off very well. Also, with the CM having been out of the show for a while, it would seem that she is very much interested in reclaiming her title as most broken boat from the Time Bandit.

Edgar is weird. He didn't seem all too broken up about missing his shot at a full, huge season of Bairdi crab as captain. I mean it would seem that his injury is legit, after the doctor visit, but he really seemed more relieved to not be able to do it than anything else. We've seen enough heartbreak on the show to be able to read it on people's faces, and he didn't seem heart broken at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well the reality is at this point the Hansens probably make more money from the show (and the Northwestern in particular exploits this - see its appearance in Pixar's Cars for example) than they would ever make from actual crab fishing, as lucrative as it is. So I mean of course he doesn't really care that much, that or it really is that painful, who knows.

In a weird way Edgar having to sit out due to an injury creates a plot point in that whole Sig not letting Edgar be an equal partner narrative they've been playing with for awhile.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
How they've managed to get six episodes out of Survivorman Bigfoot is beyond me. My respect for Les has dropped.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ToastyPotato posted:

Did Elliot say he had the biggest quota of the fleet for King Crab? How do people keep trusting him with so much responsibility?

Maybe he's also doing that deal where he leases quota from other boats.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

IRQ posted:

Well the reality is at this point the Hansens probably make more money from the show (and the Northwestern in particular exploits this - see its appearance in Pixar's Cars for example) than they would ever make from actual crab fishing, as lucrative as it is. So I mean of course he doesn't really care that much, that or it really is that painful, who knows.

In a weird way Edgar having to sit out due to an injury creates a plot point in that whole Sig not letting Edgar be an equal partner narrative they've been playing with for awhile.

I don't know what the profits are for crab fishing. But if the crew shares each season are any indication, it is highly unlikely any crab boat is making equal money or greater from Discovery Channel. Reality TV exists because it costs a fraction of scripted television. Crew members on these boats already seem to be pulling anywhere from $50k to $85k+ on just two crab seasons, not counting the other fisheries they don't show on the show (the boats work more than twice a year.) I'd imagine captains and boat owners make more, assuming they operate like a normal business. Obviously, I am not meaning to draw comparison to the incomes of the cast of Big Bang Theory, who make millions, to reality TV cast members. When I say scripted television, I am not only referring to the top rated, most expensive shows on TV. But hey, I might be wrong and perhaps Discovery is shelling out millions (across the fleet) for the show. I've never looked up the ratings, but I imagine the show would have to be far, FAR ahead of not just anything else on the channel, but on other competing channels and time slots to warrant that kind of expense.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Mister Kingdom posted:

How they've managed to get six episodes out of Survivorman Bigfoot is beyond me. My respect for Les has dropped.

I caught an episode of this, so my experience is based only on the one. He treats it super skeptically and often comes up with real reasons why the loons he's going out with think they see bigfoot. He's not going out on his own because he thinks he's gonna find it. The impression I get is Discovery is paying him to show how silly these people looking for bigfoot are.

Though like you said, six episodes. Les probably likes money like the rest of us, it turns out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gazaar posted:

I caught an episode of this, so my experience is based only on the one. He treats it super skeptically and often comes up with real reasons why the loons he's going out with think they see bigfoot. He's not going out on his own because he thinks he's gonna find it. The impression I get is Discovery is paying him to show how silly these people looking for bigfoot are.

Though like you said, six episodes. Les probably likes money like the rest of us, it turns out.

The premise sounds like Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures, where both shows have teams of non-scientists who pretend to be skeptical and debunk things, but never come out and say, "hey this is bullshit and not real, also here is some weird stuff we can't explain so maybe ghosts are real?"

Unless Les is an out and out skeptic on bigfoot and the show really goes hard in its debunking things. I thought he believed in bigfoot though, from what I remembered hearing or reading somewhere.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ToastyPotato posted:

Unless Les is an out and out skeptic on bigfoot and the show really goes hard in its debunking things. I thought he believed in bigfoot though, from what I remembered hearing or reading somewhere.

That was the impression I got when he did that two part special.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
If he actually believes that's cool I guess, but his tone when talking about the believers made it sound otherwise.

Either way Les would have to be into some way gnarlier poo poo for me to lose respect for him, dude is hard as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ToastyPotato posted:

Obviously, I am not meaning to draw comparison to the incomes of the cast of Big Bang Theory, who make millions, to reality TV cast members. When I say scripted television, I am not only referring to the top rated, most expensive shows on TV. But hey, I might be wrong and perhaps Discovery is shelling out millions (across the fleet) for the show. I've never looked up the ratings, but I imagine the show would have to be far, FAR ahead of not just anything else on the channel, but on other competing channels and time slots to warrant that kind of expense.

The Northwestern/Hansens make money not through direct salary/compensation for filming, they make money because they are pretty savvy at leveraging their role and fame in the show into real world merchandise. You have Northwestern coffee, which you drink out a Norhwestern mug, while reading Sig Hansen's book. In your Norwestern boxer-briefs in front of your framed picture of Edgar.

• Locked thread