Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hm what is a quickening and why would they make you make a choice on who gets a move when you can't see what they even do, unless I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quickenings are FF12's version of Limit Breaks and because JRPG's, I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Hm what is a quickening and why would they make you make a choice on who gets a move when you can't see what they even do, unless I'm missing something.

Quickenings are your limitbreaks in FF12. In vanilla they also count as extra reserves of mp and are therefore one of the most critical things on the license board to beeline. In IZJS their still useful in some niche places but for the most part just check what stuff is blocked by quickenings on each characters board because you can only pick up 3 of a characters 4 quickening tiles. There is no need to rush aquiring quickenings as the only major use in IZJS at least is for hunts and endgame stuff.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yeah, that figures, I was hoping maybe some of them might be a little worth it. Ah well, not a big loss.

I learned to stop using Snow and Vanille long ago buddy.

It depends on your party composition. Early on as Tempo mentioned it can be handy to pick up the basic Sentinel, Medic, and maybe Saboteur abilities for those that don't have it. I mainly stuck with a team of Snow/Vanille/Fang so giving Fang some basic Medic abilities really helped out. Late game it's nice to get Ravager, Commando, and Sentinel as high as you can get them on everyone as well as having two good Saboteurs and Medics because each class gives passive bonuses to the rest of the team based on their class level.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Rarity posted:

Also forget that Snow, Sazh and Vanille exist.

This was my endgame team and they did perfectly fine. Vanille can heal the team just fine by herself, Sazh has Haste and Snow is... well, he's just kind of filler.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Maybe I'm just paranoid but it makes me very uneasy to have only one medic

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Snow and Vanille work pretty well together for the most part. Even if you don't add another Medic, Vanillle is the best one and Snow is the best Sentinel so you can get by just by grabbing Cure if you want to use Sazh or Fang.The only character I wouldn't use with those two is Hope since you really want two good physical attackers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

dude789 posted:

Snow is the best Sentinel

Second best. Lightning is the best since she doesn't tank a drat thing. She just draws aggro and dodges all the attacks ever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So I made it to Pulse, only took 25 hours...Should I start grinding out the early levels of the level 0 jobs or is it still not worth it?

Invest some points in Hope's commando tree and Fang's ravager tree. All they need is a single ability because if you'll be using them for the passive bonuses they give to the rest of your party.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

whoops never mind

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I thought the same thing, but using the weapon that ups her healing, she was actually doing a perfectly fine job alone. I did give Sazh Medic by endgame (it was cheaper than giving him any other skill), but he was essentially useless at it. I'm pretty sure all my endgame paradigms didn't have him using it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The bosses in 12 are mad cool, but after playing this game for a while, I got the XIII itch and am going to buy it on steam. Are there fixes and stuff to make it run super fancy or did the port turn pretty good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My god....60 gigs...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The port is terrible.

EDIT: In that it's essentially the PS3 game ported to PC with no optimization. It's still the same game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Terper posted:

We'll probably get this (and more??) in HD in a couple days, but hey it's out there right now so why not watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPARzjouLc

I hope the finished station has the same amount of cats

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like all the people taking camera phone pics so that they can prove they were there when SE said "gently caress it, Final Fantasy is now a cat simulator that even we think is boring because we fast forwarded through half of the content."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

The port is terrible.

EDIT: In that it's essentially the PS3 game ported to PC with no optimization. It's still the same game.

They patched in optimization.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Doesn't Sazh get Haste or Hastega like insanely earlier than everyone else? Sazh owns, always use Sazh. :colbert:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Am I safe in assuming that everything I pick in 12 labeled Loot is just junk to be sold? Any crafting or anything I should be hanging onto this for?

There is "crafting" of a sort, but it usually doesn't require micro-management. Basically, if you sell the right goods in enough quantities, it will unlock stuff you can buy in the "bazaar" menu at shops (doesn't matter what shops you sell the stuff to; it's all linked). So you might unlock a set of Leather Armor and Feather Hat after you sell, say, 5 rat tails and 3 bat wings. Mostly you might just unlock gear a bit early if you've been killing enough of the right enemies, but of course in the late game you can get some unique/very rare gear.

Now here's the catch: certain recipes share the same ingredients. Until you BUY a item that uses an ingredient, the game just keeps counting up how many of that ingredient you've sold. Once you buy an item, it resets the counter of that recipe's ingredients to ZERO, no matter how many you've sold. So say one recipe requires 5 rat tails, and another requires 7. If you sell 6, then buy the first item, your rat tail count is reset to 0; you need to sell 7 more to get the other item. But if you sell 7 rat tails without buying the recipe item, both the first and second recipes will be unlocked. It's dumb, since there's no way to keep track of how many you've sold, and can be very annoying with late-game recipes that require rare drops.

Terper posted:

We'll probably get this (and more??) in HD in a couple days, but hey it's out there right now so why not watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPARzjouLc

I wonder if they're spending actual man-hours programming in all those cat animations (like jumping up to a higher ledge) just for these demos. You've got a long way to go, guys; I'd rather you spend your time on stuff that will get the game finished rather than stuff that looks good for a minute-long promo video.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the cat will be a playable character. Please, Square-san.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Stella DLC with cats and dogs as party members

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Considering we've seen the pets controllable in actual trailers, that demo is probably to show it off since it's going to be in the actual game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Beef Waifu posted:

Considering we've seen the pets controllable in actual trailers, that demo is probably to show it off since it's going to be in the actual game.

Pretty sure he said the dog wasn't actually going to be playable in the game, and was just used for the demo. I imagine it's the same here.

(Although Chrono Cross did that have segment on the cruise ship...)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It really makes me want a proper sequel to Tokyo Jungle.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Schwartzcough posted:

I wonder if they're spending actual man-hours programming in all those cat animations (like jumping up to a higher ledge) just for these demos. You've got a long way to go, guys; I'd rather you spend your time on stuff that will get the game finished rather than stuff that looks good for a minute-long promo video.

They can always outsource work to more studios. During the Taiwan Game Show event, they hosted the event with local developer XPEC. XPEC is a Taiwanese developer that typically make ports for big publishers or work as coding grunts for another developer. They are helping Tabata's team with FFXV. They handled the snow scene that was shown at the event. I wouldn't be surprised if Tabata's team is working with more contracted studios since SE Tokyo does not have the manpower to make a AAA FF game completely in-house. The FFXIII sequels and FFXIV 2.0 were made with significant help from outside studios.

What's interesting is how this the second time we've seen demo where a significant portion of the assets are a work in progress. It reminds me a lot of the PR for FFXIV 2.0.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm almost done with lightning returns. I'm on the 5th day and I've got one last main quest to do in Desert Dunes and I'm more than halfway done with it.

I also have 44 sidequests done and 32 prayer board quests done so I guess I'm getting the extra day.

Then I just have 12 to beat as far as single player mainline games go.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

If you're willing to invest the CP, Snow isn't a terrible single-target Medic; he won't learn Cura, but he has the fastest casting time of the six, so he's good if someone is dangerously low on health. In comparison, Vanille and Hope have better abilities, but sluggish casting speeds.

If I go through the game again I might go Snow/Fang/filler just to see how that'll roll. I wish Snow/Fang/Sazh was viable because I love Haste, but lack of Medics there.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

My god....60 gigs...

The file size is because more or less the entire game is in there twice. The pre-rendered cutscenes take up 40 out of those 60 GB - 20 for Japanese and 20 for English. They need separate video files for each language because the lip-syncing is different (yes, really). All the incidental dialogue and stuff seems to be inside the same files that contain the maps and actual levels and areas, so once again, that means you need a copy of them for both Jap and Eng audio. It's really dumb that they didn't make the ability to play in Japanese an optional download, maybe implemented as free DLC or something, the way Shadows of Mordor handled their super-high resolution textures.

E: If you're hurting for disk space, you can delete all the Japanese files after the download is finished, and the game will still run fine in English. There's thread about it on Steam somewhere that I'm sure you can find if you do some Googling.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you're willing to invest the CP, Snow isn't a terrible single-target Medic; he won't learn Cura, but he has the fastest casting time of the six, so he's good if someone is dangerously low on health. In comparison, Vanille and Hope have better abilities, but sluggish casting speeds.

Uh, what? Snow gets Cura on tier 3, making him the fastest secondary medic to get it. Sazh gets it on tier 5 (he and Snow swap Cura/Esuna), and I don't know off the top of my head when Fang gets it, but it's around when Sazh does, I think.

I mean, the point still stands, you really need either Hope or Vanille as a medic for anything in the late or endgame, but Snow is actually one of the best secondary ones.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Final Fantasy 13 felt like a slog towards the end, you had enemies blocking your path and they took longer to take down than most bosses.

Especially when everything goes to poo poo and the final area where you only have a single path and the enemies are larger than the path themselves.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm almost done with lightning returns. I'm on the 5th day and I've got one last main quest to do in Desert Dunes and I'm more than halfway done with it.

I also have 44 sidequests done and 32 prayer board quests done so I guess I'm getting the extra day.

Then I just have 12 to beat as far as single player mainline games go.

Prayer Board quests don't count towards the extra day, but I think it's around 40 sidequests so you're still fine. The Desert Dunes main quest is kind of a hassle because it's all a big dungeon crawl, but it's not too bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you don't overlevel on the chump "hard" enemies before Pulse FF13 can be really annoying.

Like especially in chapter 5 have Vanille and Sazh go on a murder rampage with the weather changing sphere mechanic and you'll get tons of easy CP that makes the next areas way easier.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I never really felt like grinding was a necessity in 13. The times I've played the game, I've just killed whatever I came across and I usually maxed (or came very close to) maxing the crystarium right around the time I fought the boss that made it expand. Then I reach pulse and there's that behemoth king that's so easy to kill, and then the behemoth king AND the megistotherian, and welp, suddenly my numbers are twice as high as they should be :v:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
afaik if you plan on using Hope and Fang its good to teach them Ruin from Commando and some spells/strikes from Ravager, respectively, so that they are available for Cerberus and Tri-Disaster.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

How Rude posted:

afaik if you plan on using Hope and Fang its good to teach them Ruin from Commando and some spells/strikes from Ravager, respectively, so that they are available for Cerberus and Tri-Disaster.

Fang is a Saboteur, which means she's got the best of both worlds when it comes to staggering. Smart Bomb (SAB/RAV/RAV) is the staggering paradigm of choice when you're rolling Fang/Lightning/Hope. Just make sure Fang is your lead character so you can make her continue to cast, even if there aren't any more debuffs to inflict.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
i thought debuffs didn't increase the stagger that greatly and were more like Commando and kept it from depleting

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

How Rude posted:

i thought debuffs didn't increase the stagger that greatly and were more like Commando and kept it from depleting

No, Saboteurs are awesome. They keep the stagger gauge from draining (though not quite as much as a Commando), and they also increase it (though not quite as much as a Ravager). Downside is they do next to no damage, but then you could say that gets balanced out by the debuffs they inflict.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah by the time I reach Pulse and could choose my party I started basically every fight COM/SAB/SYN. Damage didn't come out that quickly at start but it made fights fly by after a round of buffs/debuffs

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've been playing a lot of Theatrhythm this weekend. It's putting me in a serious Final Fantasy mood. In the grand scheme of things I've played very few Final Fantasy games-- pretty much just 7, 10, and 10-2. I hear some of them are dated and some of them are just plain bad, but I really kinda want to just... play them all. From 1 to whatever the gently caress 13 is at, from start to finish. Likely skip 11 and 14 because I don't even remotely care about MMOs.

I've had a number of people tell me that 1-3 are objectively kinda trash these days with barely any story. Should I really just not bother with those and start at 4? I feel like that kinda defeats the purpose of exploring all the Final Fantasies I never played but if they're just kinda junky barebones "go here and kill this guy then go kill another guy" stories then I could probably live with skipping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It sucks that it took 6 hours to download but I really like FFXIII, and it looks loving great at 1080 60fps. I think this might be my favorite final fantasy.