Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure that natural death can happen even in a character's 20s or 30s, though of course it's much rarer--the death message will say "died of poor health" if the character was under 40 rather than "died a natural death". If there's a difference between the two other than that, I've never noticed it. At first I thought "poor health" was only for Weak characters but that definitely isn't the case, it appears to be for characters under 40 that randomly die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Excelzior posted:

..so your absolute last day of life is predetermined, but you can die early at any moment after 30? and health ensures the "early" death event won't fire?

just tryin' to make sure I understand it correctly this time around

There's no predetermined date, it just becomes more and more likely until it happens.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

There's a bunch of code in defines.lua that determines the likelihood of random death at various age points. If you lower the "natural death" number, you can essentially just make it very unlikely for people to die of natural causes at all.

These are the default values.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
A fourth Ramadan Ramadan. God that is a common name. Zunbil's still chugging away.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Jaramin posted:

There's a bunch of code in defines.lua that determines the likelihood of random death at various age points. If you lower the "natural death" number, you can essentially just make it very unlikely for people to die of natural causes at all.

These are the default values.

Those are the base valued though for the random number generator, your health is the biggest contributor but that is mostly hidden in the code.

Also Eric is correct, if you are young it will say poor health if there are no obvious cause behind the death.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Groogy posted:

Those are the base valued though, your health is the biggest contributor though.

Makes sense--those values must be heavily modified by your health score, even if your health is like 7.0 your chances of dying a natural death at some point during your 60s are way higher than 4%.

I guess "died of poor health" is better for immersion than "died because lol dark ages" :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Eric the Mauve posted:

Makes sense--those values must be heavily modified by your health score, even if your health is like 7.0 your chances of dying a natural death at some point during your 60s are way higher than 4%.

Dammit phone too slow to type, you quoted me before I could fix my post :D
But yeah you can kindofish control your death date with health. There's still a rng put in but it's not that strong in comparison to age and health. Which is why the super healthy exploit works so well.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Just married my demon-spawn child to the Caliph's daughter. :getin:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Just married my demon-spawn child to the Caliph's daughter. :getin:

Why is this good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why is this good.

Islam just got infiltrated by the Antichrist, and you're asking why this is entertaining.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

Islam just got infiltrated by the Antichrist, and you're asking why this is entertaining.

he's not gonna inherit anything so what's the big deal? the Caliph got himself a tremendously powerful commander (prob 30+ martial) is about all that's gonna happen

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
This is my first time getting the demonspawn event and injecting the son of Iblis' bloodline into the Prophet's (PBUH) sounds loving cool, okay? God you guys have no imagination... :ughh:

Zunbil continues it's conquering spree and the Ethiopians are embracing Samaritanism. Eastern Europe is Balkanizing like crazy.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Is there any reason I can't form the Persian Empire? I only recently got Mesopotamia, but I've had three out of five kingdoms for most of the game and haven't been able to form it. The option just isn't coming up.

I dunno why my piety is so low either.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MinistryofLard posted:

Is there any reason I can't form the Persian Empire? I only recently got Mesopotamia, but I've had three out of five kingdoms for most of the game and haven't been able to form it. The option just isn't coming up.

Need to have 80% of the de-jure area for empires. From that screenshot, I'm guessing you might not have enough of it.

Also, you're not Zoroastrian or Zunist, so that's a bit of a problem on an aesthetic level. Only religions starting with a Z should be allowed to form Persia.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Tanist wins Jerusalem in a crusade, gives it so his young son. Tanist dies. Son converts to local culture, spends 50 years nursing a grudge against the new Tanist, then comes back invade Ireland. So, that's how the Catholic Bedouins ended up invading the UK. I love this game.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Tanist wins Jerusalem in a crusade, gives it so his young son. Tanist dies. Son converts to local culture, spends 50 years nursing a grudge against the new Tanist, then comes back invade Ireland. So, that's how the Catholic Bedouins ended up invading the UK. I love this game.

I feel like leaders of independent crusader states convert to local culture way too quickly.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to make it so that reformed pagans can send missionaries? I found some code on Paradox's forums, but it seems to have altered in the past 1.5 years.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
The Bolghars have taken over both Bulgaria and Bolghar. Plus the Byzantium Empire is falling apart as well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, the winter mechanic introduced with the Charlemagne patch has somehow made the Mongols even more obnoxious to deal with. I didn't think that was possible.
These "No attrition" event troops are really the worst idea in this game.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jamsque posted:

I feel like leaders of independent crusader states convert to local culture way too quickly.

I'm also not sure if Athens should flip to Bedouin and Damietta to Norse five years from conquest.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
What's the best mod for adding flavor to a "Restore Pagan Rome" run? I seem to recall poo poo that would let you follow the bloodlines of ancient romans, but I don't even know where to look in the Steam workshop.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Pope keeps declaring Crusades, and nobody except me shows up. I'm okay with this.

Also, the Golden Horde were hilariously pissweak. They showed up, took some poo poo off the Seljuks, then sat there stranded deep in Seljuk territory waiting for the peace treaty to run out. Not sure if their event troops died out or depspawned, but they've only got 2k left and they own basically nothing. Ilkhanate are carving a slow path through the Abbasids- they're down to about 55k. It looks like they're going to run out of steam around the time they hit the still-ridiculously-powerful Byzantines.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just had a year in which i switched focus to hunting, and my depressed ruler not only became not-depressed, but also finally stopped being arbitrary and took up patient. I assume this is just RNG, but does hunting-focus increase the chance of those events firing? Because that would be fabulouuuus.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Pope keeps declaring Crusades, and nobody except me shows up. I'm okay with this.

Also, the Golden Horde were hilariously pissweak. They showed up, took some poo poo off the Seljuks, then sat there stranded deep in Seljuk territory waiting for the peace treaty to run out. Not sure if their event troops died out or depspawned, but they've only got 2k left and they own basically nothing. Ilkhanate are carving a slow path through the Abbasids- they're down to about 55k. It looks like they're going to run out of steam around the time they hit the still-ridiculously-powerful Byzantines.

I wish that was the case in my last game. The Ilkhanate conquered westward all the way to the Red Sea and still had about 115k troops at the end. The Golden Horde stopped right around eastern Europe despite having something like 90k troops. It wasn't until they fought each other that the Ilkhanate incurred any substantial losses, getting knocked down to about 65k. I could match the Ilkhanate in numbers, but their horse archers still beat the snot out of my armies while I hardly made a dent in theirs. Then they converted to Nestorianism (I have no idea how) and I lost all desire to continue fighting them without the holy war CB.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Spakstik posted:

Then they converted to Nestorianism (I have no idea how) and I lost all desire to continue fighting them without the holy war CB.

I believe there is an event that fires if the hordes are still unreformed tengri.
Them going Christian is the best way to curb their expansion.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

I just had a year in which i switched focus to hunting, and my depressed ruler not only became not-depressed, but also finally stopped being arbitrary and took up patient. I assume this is just RNG, but does hunting-focus increase the chance of those events firing? Because that would be fabulouuuus.

Dog cures depression. And some focuses do allow you a chance at gaining/losing certain traits via random event. I'd have to see the event text to see if it was actually due to the focus or what. I believe the text is different?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Edison was a dick posted:

I believe there is an event that fires if the hordes are still unreformed tengri.
Them going Christian is the best way to curb their expansion.

Does it pick a denomination at random? My "I have no idea how" came from Nestorianism being long extinct at that point in the game, unless there was a courtier somewhere who'd been clinging to it for centuries. I've seen them go Sunni before, but that made sense historically and contextually, given that they'd just plowed through a sizable chunk of the Muslim world.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MinistryofLard posted:

Like Strudel Man said, you need 80% of its de jure territory. This includes all the land to the east of the Caspian Sea (modern Turkmenistan, etc.), which is probably what's stopping you.

e: looking at that screenshot again, basically you should be good as soon as you take all the Hazaraspid's stuff.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Spakstik posted:

Does it pick a denomination at random? My "I have no idea how" came from Nestorianism being long extinct at that point in the game, unless there was a courtier somewhere who'd been clinging to it for centuries. I've seen them go Sunni before, but that made sense historically and contextually, given that they'd just plowed through a sizable chunk of the Muslim world.

Nestorian Christianity was prominent among the Mongols at that time, so in the sense "what happens outside the map goes exactly as in real history", it makes perfect sense.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I started as a minor Jewish noble in the Abbasid dynasty.

Whenever my liege lord loses a religious war, it effects the Jewish religious authority. I think this is a bug? I don't see how a Sunni king losing religious wars effects the moral authority of a subject religion?

Is there anything I can do about this? It has made the task of converting problems different, to impossible.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Diogines posted:

I started as a minor Jewish noble in the Abbasid dynasty.

Whenever my liege lord loses a religious war, it effects the Jewish religious authority. I think this is a bug? I don't see how a Sunni king losing religious wars effects the moral authority of a subject religion?

Is there anything I can do about this? It has made the task of converting problems different, to impossible.

You would never crack 50 moral authority either way until you reform Israel. At best you'd be converting a province every 100 years despite controlling the Arabian Empire. Don't even worry about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spakstik posted:

Does it pick a denomination at random? My "I have no idea how" came from Nestorianism being long extinct at that point in the game, unless there was a courtier somewhere who'd been clinging to it for centuries.

This happens. The Paulicians usually have an official religious head despite there not being a single Paulician county on the map at any point in history that I know of.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Buddhist Mongol Empire is absolutely amazing.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The real Mongols were famous for their religious tolerance. While they held onto their traditional animism, they didn't give a poo poo who their subjects worshipped, so long as they did their jobs.

That would be an interesting mechanic to work into the game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know any good guides for playing as a vassal? I didn't realize how much EVERYONE plays as an Emperor or something until I started trying to find out how to play as a vassal. I started as the Sunni Nahua duke of Mosul at the CM start, and I need to rip the Abassid blob apart from the inside so I can use that sweet invasion CB to clean up the mess. I got my hands on some sweet holdings, but crown law went to medium really quick, so I can't press claims against other vassals, and I have no idea what to do aside from waiting.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Guide to playing as a vassal:

Don't. It's pointless. Your kingdom's crown authority will go to medium within 30 years and after that you will be completely unable to do anything.

(Serious answer: Check out The McD's Vassal LP in the megathread?)

(Fakeedit: Actually the first thing I said WAS the serious answer. In my opinion vassals being unable to fight each other should be High Crown Authority, and raising Crown Authority should be a lot harder than it is.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 2, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's worst in the Byzantines where the second you get a second duchy, literally everyone else lines up to fight you. I'm not too worried about it because the Abassids seem to fall apart every game at some point now. Worst comes to worst, I'll just console the caliph 100 decadence until they collapse. McD's what in which thread?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This thread

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Mongol conversion is basically just random chance - there are five conversion events available for the Ilkhanate and Golden Horde, and whichever is the first to happen in the span of time they're allowed, happens. They have different probability per religion, though, and per title.

Ilkhanate

catholic 1440
orthodox 960
sunni 420
shiite 420
nestorian 420

Golden Horde

catholic 960
orthodox 480
sunni 420
shiite 420
nestorian 1440

Since these are mean times to happen, the probability of a given conversion is essentially inverse to the numbers here. Ilkhanate is most (and more or less equally) likely to go Sunni, Shiite, or Nestorian - though the first actually more probable in practice, since the MTTH is reduced by 25% if their current capital is the religion in question.

edit: You know what I think bothers me the most about the tribal mechanics? It's the fact that it makes settled lands essentially uninhabitable to you. Plus the weird restrictions on granting titles. I actually just started a game as the mongol empire in the appropriate bookmark, and after conquering Persia, not only can I not move out of my tent out in the steppe, but I can't even give the title to anyone. Certain county titles can't be handed out either. Maybe it's a bug or something, but it's annoying as hell, and doesn't feel like it has any kind of historical authenticity to it.

And of course, for the ones you do give out, you get the -30 'wrong government type' penalty. Just feels, ugh. Dumb. Giving away land you've conquered to your sons should not be this big of a headache.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Being constantly raided is getting really irritating in my game. I've got most of coastal Wales as my demesne and it's an endless parade of pagan morons disembarking for the promise of loot.
Except, I've got 3000 Longbowmen in the mountains, so all that happens is the bearded idiots land and their 50% morale means they can't escape the inevitable doomstack that obliterates them to the last man.

And yet, still they persist. Good grief, do they persist. I've probably wiped out the population of medieval Scandinavia twice over at this point.

• Locked thread