Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Arglebargle III posted:

If you were given a family directive to chinese-ify thanksgiving, what would you serve? Side dishes and all.

Hot pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean the traditional thanksgiving spread, but chinesey.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Do yo umean traditional Thanksgiving ingredients done in a chinese way, or do you mean "traditional" in that it's a big meat dish and lots of sides?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Korean duck galbi. Lots of sides

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or Cantonese style, salt baked chicken.

Or diced chicken in a giant bowl with your own helpings of some lettuce wrap

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Make everything normally but add lots of dried chilies, hua jiao, and giant pieces of onion you can't eat so finding the food you can eat is an adventure.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Properly designed for the task, induction is actually far superior to pretty much everything. Quick response to temperature changes, safe(r)

Adcraft Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Countertop Wok Induction Cooker, 120 Volts -- 1 each. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UI882A/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fWDZub1MMYWQD

Or hilariously:
Cook-Tek MW2500G Countertop Commercial Induction Wok Unit, 200-240v/1, Each https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RFJ3H8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nYDZub15B8SCS

These are cool. The only induction stuff I've seen and had access to had like 2-3 heat settings and no fine control. They were also used exclusively to make rice and boil water for instant noodles, though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I post mine every year but I do a seafood soup, peking duck, sticky rice stuffing with lap cheong and water chestnuts, szechuan green beans and a mousse cake.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Oh, I meant to post this before.

After looking for a very long time I finally found a non-teflon decent quality wok for not several hundred US Dollars, this is a feat in China. The wok is currently being shipped to me as the physical store didn't have the size I wanted in stock.

On their website, I found this awesome image showing me just who is making my cast iron wok:

I want to buy two now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Make everything normally but add lots of dried chilies, hua jiao, and giant pieces of onion you can't eat so finding the food you can eat is an adventure.

You don't eat the dried chilis?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

GrAviTy84 posted:

Hey, I think I'll contribute to this thread again!

Mapo Tofu

One of the most well known dishes out of Sichuan province, firey hot, aromatic, and absolutely delicious. If you think you don't like tofu, you've never had this before. I mostly follow Fuchsia Dunlop's recipe with a few changes that I will mark.

Ingredients

1 block bean curd (She doesn't say what kind, I prefer silken for this application), cut into cubes
3 cloves garlic, minced
equal amount of ginger, minced (she doesn't have either garlic or ginger, I think they are sorely missing from the recipe)
3 scallions, sliced thin on the bias
1/3 lb of beef (she says beef, I prefer pork)
2.5 tbsp Sichuan chili bean paste
1 tbsp fermented black beans, lightly crushed
1 cup stock of your choice, chicken is fine
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp light soy
1/2 tsp roasted Sichuan peppercorns, ground
dash white pepper
cornstarch slurry
toasted sesame oil or chili oil (optional, she doesn't use it, I think it rounds out the dish a bit)
1 tbsp minced Sichuan pickled vegetables (optional, she doesn't use it, I think it brightens the dish considerably)
ground dried hot peppers, to taste, I like about 2 or 3 ground chile japones (this is quite spicy)

In a hot wok, add a bit of neutral oil, swirl. Heat till just barely smoking, add ground meat, stir fry breaking the mince into small clumps. Add garlic, ginger, sichuan peppercorn, ground chile, white pepper, and black beans stir and allow to get fragrant. Add bean paste, tofu, soy sauce, and stock. Bring to a boil, and add enough cornstarch slurry to make the sauce glaze the tofu. Serve garnished with scallions.

I'm planning on making this tomorrow and managed to get everything but the drat meat. Which cuts should I be using for this type of dish?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I'm planning on making this tomorrow and managed to get everything but the drat meat. Which cuts should I be using for this type of dish?
I use store-ground pork (or beef). If you grind your own, you may go for the cheapest cut you're comfortable with. I've not made Gravity's specific version, but Dunlop's (and my own version, also based on hers) really wouldn't benefit from excellent meat. I think it'd be a waste of good meat, so use cheap ground meat.

Biggest difference between my version and Gravity's is that I generally use chili garlic paste instead of dried chiles (and I omit the addition of garlic and ginger...if I use ground chiles I do add garlic, but not ginger, and I know my amounts are different from Dunlop's, but I am not very precise, so I don't have any real measurements).

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 2, 2015

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, I just use ground meat as well. Hell, sometimes I don't even use meat at all.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Jeoh posted:

Yeah, I just use ground meat as well. Hell, sometimes I don't even use meat at all.
That too.

It's mapo tofu. It's a super-simple dish. Don't stress over it. It's very hard to screw up.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 2, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's a very tweakable dish, too. Everyone does their own little thing. don't be afraid to add/subtract as you like.

edit +1 ground pork. I grind my own from store bought shoulders when it's on sale cause it's cheaper but store bough is great. Don't get the ultra lean stuff, though, I think mapo has a lot of fat soluble flavors in the doubanjiang, chiles, and sichuan peppers and the best ones I've had in restaurants or at friend's places had a pretty non negligible amount of sinister bright red fat.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 2, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah and the star of the show is totally inoffensive tofu chunks so go nuts with fatty flavoring.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try pork if i can get it but ground pork seems rare around here, a fattier beef will do if necessary. I'm going to have to cut the spice in half because ~my girlfriend~ cannot put up with highly spicy things though.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Jeoh posted:

Kenji on serious eats claims his favorite version is vegan which replaces the meat with a few different mushrooms.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Horn posted:

Kenji on serious eats claims his favorite version is vegan which replaces the meat with a few different mushrooms.

I'm inclined to trust Kenji's taste on almost anything, honestly.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm inclined to trust Kenji's taste on almost anything, honestly.

He's never steered me wrong so :agreed:

Anyone ever make Shui Zhu?

http://www.chinesefoodfans.com/chinese-food-recipes/beef/shuizhu/

These directions are...interestingly written. I have no idea what "thick broad-bean sauce" means

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Thick broad bean sauce is doubanjiang/hot bean sauce.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've made shui zhu yu before and it was pretty delicious. The cabbage or other similar veggie below is pretty essential imo.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Arglebargle III posted:

Just riffing off the top of my head, but maybe you could do:

Simple chicken stock soup and corn (or congi and corn)
Fried turkey ("Peking Duck") with sauce, rice wrappers/bao (not sure if this would work well, depends on your turkey and brine)
Sweet potato, lapchang/whatever meat, green onion hash "dressing"
Basic gai lan with oyster sauce topped with cooked mushrooms and fried onion (maybe with panko breading or just some starch coating) for your "green bean casserole"
Glaze some carrots and throw in some 5-spice or chilies or whatever you want
and... straight pumpkin pie? No clue on that one. Maybe just roast a squash/pumpkin/sweet potato combo with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice? Or just make iced coffee with a dash of pumpkin pie spice and sweetened condensed milk and call it dessert :v:.

I'll ask my wife tonight if she has any other ideas.

EDIT: This is assuming you're cooking for Chinese who aren't big on cream. If you're cooking for Americans and want to give it a Chinese spin that's a different story.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 2, 2015

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Stir fried bok choy with oyster sauce
Asparagus stir fried with bacon
Hainan chicken and rice or Cantonese style roast duck (not red, served standalone without pancake). Some kind of char siu meat or crispy hk style pork belly. Desert is babao fan brought by your shadiest and least trustworthy relative

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try pork if i can get it but ground pork seems rare around here, a fattier beef will do if necessary. I'm going to have to cut the spice in half because ~my girlfriend~ cannot put up with highly spicy things though.

I can't eat spice. Nor drink much alcohol.

But I don't care

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Thanks for the help guys it came out reaaaally good. Put half the spice in but was worried it would be too little so I chopped a Thai chili and threw it in for little landmines of spice. It was pretty mild for me but my girlfriend thought it was the perfect level, just enough appreciable spice but no need to take a breather during bites.

In a few weeks I will cook it for my spice fiend friend...with double the peppercorns, a dozen Thai chilis for flavor, and a Carolina Reaper pepper :getin:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tbh Mapo Doufu isn't usually that spicy. Living in Sichuan I eat it almost daily and it is rarely spicy.

Also ground pork is the most "authentic" as far as I can tell by it being in almost every version I've had here.

If you're interested in Shui Zhu XXX, I posted a recipe a while back I learned from my then-Sichuan native roommate that is p easy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&userid=67943#post407630629

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

Tbh Mapo Doufu isn't usually that spicy. Living in Sichuan I eat it almost daily and it is rarely spicy.

Also ground pork is the most "authentic" as far as I can tell by it being in almost every version I've had here.

If you're interested in Shui Zhu XXX, I posted a recipe a while back I learned from my then-Sichuan native roommate that is p easy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&userid=67943#post407630629

Thanks for this link, I'll see what I can do.

I would have used pork but zero (0) grocery stores around me sell ground pork. Ground anything else, including veal, they totally have it. If I have Kitchen Cash and can free up some space I am grabbing a grinder to solve this issue. It was still very good with beef but I can see how pork would suit it much better.

I didn't want to make it Melt Your Face spicy even if I was cooking for a reasonable crowd anyway. My friend is literally a sadomasochist so he actually enjoys spicy pain so I'm there to provide while doing a number of different dishes. It just seems like Sichuan really lends itself to "amp it up." I don't go out of my way to add heat to dishes but I enjoy it in moderate amounts.

e: The wok in your pictures is beautiful and mine looks so garbage trashy in comparison. Not sure if it's because I took bad care of mine for a while or build quality or what.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 3, 2015

www.amazon.com
Nov 5, 2012
I have no clue what I just made but it tasted pretty good.

chopped a few dried chillies. and heated in some oil. ground a whole bunch of dried chillies and szechuan peppercorns in a coffee grinder and threw those in with the oil. then i dumped in some fermented bean paste, and some chili bean paste. threw a bunch of shrimp in and cooked a bit then tossed in some light and dark soy sauce along with some oyster sauce.

I made some spaghetti with butter on it and put together. ended with this:

Not sure what i'm not doing but i'm still searching for something spicy. used 8-9 dried chillies along with the chilli bean paste but it still lacked any major spiciness. It would have been better if I had time to chop up some ginger and garlic but oh well.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Would mapo tofu suffer greatly from ground turkey? I read all the posts this page and it sounds like it would be better with pork or beef, but my girlfriend has been trying to force turkey, as well as tofu, on me and I thought this dish might be a not terrible way to compromise.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Turkey, chicken, alligator, ostrich. Whatever you like. It's all about getting the tofu consistency right with the hot sauce.

In my opinion, Chinese cooking tends to overcook meats. Except steamed fish.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks for this link, I'll see what I can do.

I would have used pork but zero (0) grocery stores around me sell ground pork. Ground anything else, including veal, they totally have it. If I have Kitchen Cash and can free up some space I am grabbing a grinder to solve this issue. It was still very good with beef but I can see how pork would suit it much better.

I didn't want to make it Melt Your Face spicy even if I was cooking for a reasonable crowd anyway. My friend is literally a sadomasochist so he actually enjoys spicy pain so I'm there to provide while doing a number of different dishes. It just seems like Sichuan really lends itself to "amp it up." I don't go out of my way to add heat to dishes but I enjoy it in moderate amounts.

e: The wok in your pictures is beautiful and mine looks so garbage trashy in comparison. Not sure if it's because I took bad care of mine for a while or build quality or what.

Just ask them to grind it for you.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Just ask them to grind it for you.

I do my food shopping at "alternative" hours, long after that window of opportunity closes.

I might step it up and get my own grinder honestly.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you pick up meat from the dumpster?

Anyways, go old school : dual wield butcher cleaver and chop that poo poo up. The meat is actually nicer that way. It's got this smooth gelatin texture

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

caberham posted:

Anyways, go old school : dual wield butcher cleaver and chop that poo poo up. The meat is actually nicer that way. It's got this smooth gelatin texture

Now you've done it. My CCK #2 slicer is my favourite knife. And now I feel like I need more...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Here's a video showing you how to make a steamed pork cake with salted egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoS6TZKu5Yg

You can just regular cuts of pork and chop that poo poo up. And don't over do it or else your pork tastes a bit too granular. But the way she places the salted egg ontop of the meat is making me pad. And pouring oil on top? It's gross, just like the sponsor : Amoy. At least settle for Lee Kum Kei.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

If you were given a family directive to chinese-ify thanksgiving, what would you serve? Side dishes and all.

Thanksgiving is so far away.

My family used to make sticky rice instead of stuffing. Like, cook it in the turkey until we couldn't handle the mess anymore and just made the sticky rice outside.

We also made a huge dish of gai choi with some lump crab meat and an egg-y sauce.

Then we started doing more American style Thanksgiving with sweet potatoes and stuffing. No green bean casserole though.

You ARE still going to do mashed potatoes though, right?!

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Just wanted to stop in an tell you guys this is a great thread and the more I read it the hungrier I get. Need to buy somethings to get started.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Inspector 34 posted:

Would mapo tofu suffer greatly from ground turkey? I read all the posts this page and it sounds like it would be better with pork or beef, but my girlfriend has been trying to force turkey, as well as tofu, on me and I thought this dish might be a not terrible way to compromise.

Pork or beef is preferable, but ground turkey works just as well. Personally, I despise turkey in my food, but I suppose that's up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Bigfabdaddy posted:

Just wanted to stop in an tell you guys this is a great thread and the more I read it the hungrier I get. Need to buy somethings to get started.
Take :10bux: to a Chinese grocery and buy

1. Light soy sauce
2. Dark soy sauce
3. Shaoxing wine
4. Sesame oil
5. Corn starch
6. Black vinegar

Now pull out an extra :10bux: and pick up the other stuff you need for one or two recipes (though that should be enough for fish-fragrant pork and a ton of other things). You might want oyster sauce, or fermented black beans (:swoon:), or chili garlic paste, or...just find cool poo poo. You don't need premade sauces, it's all way easier than you think it'll be. Don't feel the need to get a wok right away. Just use a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet.