Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

ohgodwhat posted:

Going with a "nice guy" here, who wants to bang his friend but is more likely to pick up a nice vacation apartment in SF. Who the gently caress else would even think of cosigning on a friend's apartment?

At least the advice in the thread is never cosign and her starting pay is bullshit. She probably won't make enough to live and pay her loans. She's about to hit the grim reality of what all the borrowing has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

URL grey tea posted:

Gets caught? Software piracy? Maybe a business but not an individual user. Not that I condone piracy but no one "gets caught" from an end user perspective.

I just realized I have a good story for the thread and had forgotten about it. I had a friend of a friend receive a large inheritance (300k?) from his grandfather. Not only did he start a bad coke habit but he claimed we were only friends with him for his money, took a helicopter to prom, bought a high end gaming PC instead of building one like we suggested, and then once he realized he was almost out of money spent the remainder on an assorted nuts kiosk in the local mall for, maybe 3 months? It didn't work out. He bitched that everyone "asked for free samples" all of the time.

Where did he get the idea for this? Some sort of franchise buy?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

LolitaSama posted:

Where did he get the idea for this? Some sort of franchise buy?

And did he work it, or just own it and hire people?

I assume he worked it, because of the bitching about samples, but I'm wondering how much he paid for such a tedious, menial job.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I'm really bad with money. I made 75K a year at an old job and spent all of it on food, beer, women, trucks, bikes. Then again I was 18 when that all started so I'm thinking that might be normal. Now I'm old and going back to school, without a job, living with my girlfriend, my son and step daughter. So honestly I don't think I was bad with money before. I mean I was 18 and had a 401K since then its been closed out due to the company closing down. But now I KNOW I'm bad with money being that I'm taking on a ton of debt at an older age for a field I'm not likely to get hired into due to my age.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Mexico? What Mexico? All I know is r/personalfinance.

Well, she's young, single, and in shape (presumably). Maybe she can marry her way out of student loan debt.

Because barring a winning Powerball ticket it sounds like she's going to be buried with those student loans.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when I scrounged around Central America for a year, I did it with savings, not on credit :smugdog:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Bad with money would be following that Super Bowl ad that just aired that was like "What if your TV went out? You could go watch the game in your WIFi equipped pickup truck! Go buy a new one now."

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

pig slut lisa posted:

Bad with money would be following that Super Bowl ad that just aired that was like "What if your TV went out? You could go watch the game in your WIFi equipped pickup truck! Go buy a new one now."

Yeah I also thought of this thread and yelled, "TRUCK EQUITY!" at the TV.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I was wondering how profitable Game Of War must be to afford a superbowl commercial.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Over $1m/day.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pig slut lisa posted:

Just saw this one, immediately came here.

"You know you want a new truck."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Just saw this one, immediately came here.

"You know you want a new truck."

This comes just days after I returned the truck I had to borrow while waiting on insurance to handle repairs to my car. Yep, what I really want is another vehicle that gets 20 mpg, is difficult to park and would mostly be used for city driving.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Wickerman posted:

I was wondering how profitable Game Of War must be to afford a superbowl commercial.

And it wasn't the only subscription game commercial, interspersed between all the other commercials about amputees, dead children, absentee fathers, and Loctite.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Haifisch posted:

Mexico? What Mexico? All I know is r/personalfinance.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well, she's young, single, and in shape (presumably). Maybe she can marry her way out of student loan debt.

My little sister is a yoga instructor and fitness nut with tons of awards and certifications. She is extraordinarily fit, and passionate about health and exercise. She left a decent but soul-crushing job to dedicate herself full-time to fitness instruction, and she's loving broke. It turns out that fit women who want to be paid to dance and exercise are almost literally a dime a dozen. If the lady in the Reddit story sucks at relationships the way my little sister does, she ain't marrying her way out, either. Verdict: dude better not co-sign.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 2, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2ujex8/21_years_old_married_in_a_whole_lot_of_debt_and/" posted:

Hey everybody, this is my first time visiting your sub so I don't know what to expect really but I'm looking for some advice or input towards what I should do in my current situation.
I am 21 years old and have been married since I was 18. My wife and I live in an apartment with one room mate who is a coworker of mine right now.
I have a problem, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I like buying things. I like feeling like I am living a life above my own and telling myself I'll take care of everything later.
This attitude towards purchasing things has gotten me in a lot of debt, not something I can't get out of but definitely enough that it is going to take some time and dedication to clean the slate again.
Currently here are my monthly bills.
2014 Ford Fusion Lease, 36 month lease, 27 payments of $445 remaining.
2013 Scion FR-S Lease, 48 month lease, 38 payments of $560 remaining.
2013 Yamaha R6 Purchase, 60 month term with 59 payments of $160 remaining @ 8.24%
Rent $860/month on a 12 month lease with 10 payments remaining.
Insurance of $450/month
Cell phone plan $230/month
Utilities approx. $200/month
Here is a snapshot of my current credit card debt situation.
Chase Freedom Card with $8000 limit, current balance = $7,400 @ 0%
Capital One Quicksilver Card with $1500 limit, current balance = $1250 @ 0%
Chevron Gas Card with $2150 limit $1280 @ 18%
So as you can see, I have definitely dug a deep hole for myself. I really dream of the day to see all those balances at $0 but I have such a hard time not purchasing things spontaneously.
To top it all off I owe about $3300 in taxes as well this year which I will have to pay in a few months as well.
As far as my employment goes I work in auto sales so monthly income can vary greatly. My wife brings home about a steady $1800/month after taxes. I am guaranteed at least minimum wage from my job which is usually around $1500 but can make much more depending on the month. The most I have ever made was $12,930 last March but since then haven't been anywhere close to that. The last few months I have not made more than minimum wage so it has made me look into other jobs. I have an interview today for a job that could pay around $14/hour plus some bonus money. But at that I see my take home at probably around $2200-$2400. Which is more then I make on a month I don't sell many cars but at that rate my wife and I only have at best an extra $1000/month to pay debt with and that doesn't seem like very much to me, but the good part would be I would have steady income instead of fluctuating. It is also a job I think I would enjoy more.
I also feel however that if I stick it out in the auto sales job a bit longer and have another decent month or 2 it would help pay off a big chunk really quick and then maybe move on. But I also don't want to waste anymore time making minimum wage so I don't know which angle to take.
Any advice on how I can work towards being debt free guys?

The motorcycle was purchased 5 days before he made this post.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That's a good one.
A sales guy with 2 leased vehicles and a motorcycle is evidence that auto salesmen are not always trying to screw you, sometimes they are just genuinely stupid.

He is spending $1600/month on vehicles + insurance, and still won't own a car at the end of it. I'm seriously :lol:'in at a 5 year loan on a sport bike. Guy's living the fancy life :wotwot:

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

That leaves $395 not including minimum payments on the credit cards, gas, and food for two people. Is he putting gas and food on the credit cards?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
How else do you have over $1000 on a gas card? Repairs I guess is possible.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Those are some seriously awful lease deals on those cars

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Those are some seriously awful lease deals on those cars

I'm guessing no money down, and high payments since his credit must be wrecked.

Or comedy option: he rolled previous leases into the new ones

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The gently caress is up with that guy. The 3 vehicles have all been purchased within the last year. I'm assuming a lot of the credit card debt has been accumulated over the past 3 years as he just started working.

Reading the last line of the post is really "hey guys I've bought 3 vehicles with 3 to 5 year loans, how do I get out of debt?"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Don't worry, someone convinced him to trim his cell phone down a bit, that'll help a lot! :shepface:

(I mean he was paying too much, including a bullshit 'insurance' but the real problem is all his vehicles)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Devian666 posted:

The gently caress is up with that guy. The 3 vehicles have all been purchased within the last year. I'm assuming a lot of the credit card debt has been accumulated over the past 3 years as he just started working.

Reading the last line of the post is really "hey guys I've bought 3 vehicles with 3 to 5 year loans, how do I get out of debt?"

Read it closer: only the motorcycle was purchased. The two cars are leases :getin:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Read it closer: only the motorcycle was purchased. The two cars are leases :getin:

gently caress yeah lease those loving cars :psyduck:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
For y'all non car-people, he is paying approximately the cash price for an FR-S over his 48 month lease (MSRP: 25,400 after delivery, lease payment total 26,880). Looking on Scion's website, the rack rate lease is a 36mo lease at 299/mo with 2k down.

The Fusion lease is really bad but not mind-bendingly awful.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For y'all non car-people, he is paying approximately the cash price for an FR-S over his 48 month lease (MSRP: 25,400 after delivery, lease payment total 26,880). Looking on Scion's website, the rack rate lease is a 36mo lease at 299/mo with 2k down.

The Fusion lease is really bad but not mind-bendingly awful.

Put another way, I'm pretty sure you can lease a Porsche for $1k/mo.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm pretty sure that guy's answer is bankruptcy. I feel bad for his wife.

"I ruined our credit because I just can't stop signing contracts for poo poo we can't afford!"

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I suspect those may be fully loaded vehicles, which can bring up the cost substantially (Gotta have that $1400 nav system). It boggles my mind how a guy in car sales could be over paying by that much on a car.

It does make feel more comfortable about my recent purchase. I'll be throwing the 30 hours of over time on this pay check at it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Wickerman posted:

I'm pretty sure that guy's answer is bankruptcy. I feel bad for his wife.

"I ruined our credit because I just can't stop signing contracts for poo poo we can't afford!"

I dunno he says he can pay $1000 a month towards debt but that it doesn't seem like enough. Actually $1000 per month would be good progress for him as he doesn't seem to be able to pay $1 per month. He's not broke yet.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Well, if he's going to sell the cars with all the options, he has to know from experience, right? And I'm sure the dealership gave him a special exception on the lease. Probably didn't have to put any money down. He'd be foolish NOT to take advantage of such a great opportunity. After all, it will make him money in the long run. It's just good business.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Devian666 posted:

I dunno he says he can pay $1000 a month towards debt but that it doesn't seem like enough. Actually $1000 per month would be good progress for him as he doesn't seem to be able to pay $1 per month. He's not broke yet.

If he just bought the bike 5 days ago, can't he still return it?

He's not absolutely sunk yet but once that 0% falls off of his Chase Freedom he's probably done for.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Guys, don't you seem to understand, he has UNLIMITED EARNING POTENTIAL! All he has to do is earn more, duh.

quote:

This commission job has really been a huge factor in my problems I believe. After having a couple good months my mind got to comfortable and started living and spending as someone who made that much every month. And even after a bad month I would trick myself into believing, "that's okay you can still buy this now with the credit card and pay it off after you have a good month next month"

He sounds like a less broken SloMo.

EDIT: Yep, upside down as gently caress on at least one of the cars

quote:

I would love to get out of my leases and get a cheap used car if possible. I just don't think I will be able to get a loan for that. If i am upside down in my car by $7,500 I doubt any bank is going to loan me that much money on a $1500 used car. That's to much risk for them to take. Lease's are not made to get out of early. They keep you upside down in the car all the way to the last payment and then in theory you are even. You are never ahead. So I don't think I have a choice but to ride out the lease's until the end.
If anyone else knows of any other option please do speak up.

EDIT2: Wait, can you be underwater on a lease?

Rudager fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 3, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Wickerman posted:

If he just bought the bike 5 days ago, can't he still return it?

He's not absolutely sunk yet but once that 0% falls off of his Chase Freedom he's probably done for.

He should be able to return it. In the thread they're telling him to get rid of one of the leases. He should get rid of all three and just buy a cheap commuter bike, and cheap car for his wife.

e: I found the point where he said that the bike made a switch flick over in his head. He released he is retarded and hosed. SloMo hasn't hit that point yet.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 3, 2015

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Centripetal Horse posted:

My little sister is a yoga instructor and fitness nut with tons of awards and certifications. She is extraordinarily fit, and passionate about health and exercise. She left a decent but soul-crushing job to dedicate herself full-time to fitness instruction, and she's loving broke. It turns out that fit women who want to be paid to dance and exercise are almost literally a dime a dozen. If the lady in the Reddit story sucks at relationships the way my little sister does, she ain't marrying her way out, either. Verdict: dude better not co-sign.
I've never understood why anyone would think that they can live off a "full-time" career as a fitness/dance instructor of any type. Like you, I know a lot of people with this pipedream. And I'm not even sure where it comes from- there's no such thing as a wealthy yoga instructor.

Doing it on the side for some extra income is definitely possible. But anyone who thinks they can do it on a full-time basis has their head in the clouds.

Wickerman posted:

Why get my finances in order when I can just hope that a 0%/1.99% balance transfer offer will come in the mail from another credit card company? Everyone plays this game of credit card hop scotch! :downs:

I also don't understand how anyone's cell phone bill could be $230/month.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 3, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Old Fart posted:

Well, if he's going to sell the cars with all the options, he has to know from experience, right? And I'm sure the dealership gave him a special exception on the lease. Probably didn't have to put any money down. He'd be foolish NOT to take advantage of such a great opportunity. After all, it will make him money in the long run. It's just good business.

You should never put money down on a lease except in some very rare circumstances.

Jan 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

Guys, don't you seem to understand, he has UNLIMITED EARNING POTENTIAL! All he has to do is earn more, duh.

He sounds like a less broken SloMo.

EDIT: Yep, upside down as gently caress on at least one of the cars

EDIT2: Wait, can you be underwater on a lease?

Of course you can, you are typically but not always underwater on a lease in the dollar value of $(car value - lease payoff amount)

Jan 11, 2004

Golluk posted:

I suspect those may be fully loaded vehicles, which can bring up the cost substantially (Gotta have that $1400 nav system). It boggles my mind how a guy in car sales could be over paying by that much on a car.

It does make feel more comfortable about my recent purchase. I'll be throwing the 30 hours of over time on this pay check at it.

Still I pay less than either of those cars for a BMW. He's probably getting ruined by a combination of expensive financing, bad residuals, and a bad sale price (still the most important variable in a lease just like any automotive transaction).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

melon cat posted:

I've never understood why anyone would think that they can live off a "full-time" career as a fitness/dance instructor of any type. Like you, I know a lot of people with this pipedream. And I'm not even sure where it comes from- there's no such thing as a wealthy yoga instructor.

Doing it on the side for some extra income is definitely possible. But anyone who thinks they can do it on a full-time basis has their head in the clouds.

Why get my finances in order when I can just hope that a 0%/1.99% balance transfer offer will come in the mail from another credit card company? Everyone plays this game of credit card hop scotch! :downs:

I also don't understand how anyone's cell phone bill could be $230/month.

He mentioned he has two lines with T-Mobile that both have financed handsets with their insurance and early upgrade program. If he had unlimited data on both lines the base cost for them would be $140, plus say $30/month per line for a really high-end phone (iPhone 6+, Galaxy Note 4), plus an extra $10/line for the insurance and early upgrades comes out to $220. Add in taxes and fees and you get $230.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 3, 2015

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

He mentioned he has two lines with T-Mobile that both have financed handsets with their insurance and early upgrade program. If he had unlimited data on both lines the base cost for them would be $140, plus say $30/month per line for a really high-end phone (iPhone 6+, Galaxy Note 4), plus an extra $10/line for the insurance and early upgrades comes out to $220. Add in taxes and fees and you get $230.

gently caress yeah. Thread back on track.

Here's a more subtle one:
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2uj9iw/buy_a_1m_house_in_sf_bay_area_or_just_rent_forever/

Someone who wants to buy a $1,000,000.00+ house while making $250,000.

quote:

It's a well funded startup in SV where I'm an early employee. I plan to stay in startups so free transit is not on my radar. I'm already commuting 30 mi each way.

I mean, has anyone seen this movie before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

CountOfNowhere posted:

gently caress yeah. Thread back on track.

Here's a more subtle one:
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2uj9iw/buy_a_1m_house_in_sf_bay_area_or_just_rent_forever/

Someone who wants to buy a $1,000,000.00+ house while making $250,000.

I mean, has anyone seen this movie before?

I assume you think this is a bad idea because he is working for startups. Buying a house that is only 4x annual income seems pretty sane by today's standards. Am I missing something?

• Locked thread