Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I watched 5 minutes of a streamer and it basically was DarkestDungeon.mkv

He absolutely obliterated two combat encounters with non-stop crits and ended with a party at low stress and max HP. One bandit encounter later, he's down a highwayman and everyone is half dead- the streamer just staring in disbelief at the screen with his mouth open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, I'm going to start streaming here shortly.

e: Stream is over, thanks for watching folks. Hopefully the quality was half decent, sorry my chat participation was in and out. I'll try to get a better solution, ShadowPlay only worked with desktop recording for some reason.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 2, 2015

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Just downed the Necro Apprentice. He has high stun resist but isn't fully immune, so once I stunned him once I made it a point to just lock him down for the rest of the fight. Ended up being way easier than I expected, although my party makeup and stress condition happened to be pretty ideal when I ran into him.

I agree that Crusader's Holy Lance is a great ability, especially if you pair it with a Jester or Graverobber who can leapfrog forward and set up repeated uses.

I haven't had much success with activated buff/debuff combat abilities. Because most enemy groups that are at full strength have the potential to absolutely wreck your party on any given turn, I generally blitz early on with stuns, pulls and raw damage. Once most of the enemies are eliminated I'll try to stunlock the last dude and have my damage dealers shuffle around to waste time while my Vestal or Occultist heals for as many rounds as possible.

For this reason I've tried to stay away from Lepers. Their damage output/toughness looks good on paper, but their low base chance to hit and the need to waste turns on a short duration self-buff makes them a very risky proposition, especially if the enemy has stuns or knockbacks of their own. I've had two expeditions that were utter disasters, both due mostly to a Leper who ended up being total dead weight due to forced moves, self-buff masturbation and endless misses.

The game is very good overall, but my least favorite aspect is probably that heroes suddenly refuse to go on green-difficulty missions as soon as they hit level three. They may think they're hot poo poo, but without all the blacksmith and guild upgrades they're likely to get stomped by orange-difficulty missions. And since gold is at such a premium, the only good solution I'm seeing is to use multiple separate low level expedition teams to funnel all your upgrades into one "main" team. It's pretty unsatisfying being forced to neglect most of your dudes just to keep pace with an artificial XP restriction.

jaxe
May 3, 2005

I just took down Necro Apprentice also. Nothing too hard, most of my guys were L2 though, and the boss is L1, so that may have something to do with it.

Best adventuring group I've had are: Hellion - Crusader - Bounty Hunter - Occultist. A lot of crowd control with the stuns, and the Occultist has the best single heal in the game. Pack a lot of food and torches. Stun stun stun, and then rip them apart after pulling the back row forward. And pray nothing goes wrong. Be sure to keep your armor at least at your level, helps a ton with increased HP and +5 Dodge.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you aren't big on buffing, you should at least use the crusader/leper buffs that give them +20% protection. I don't know how protection works exactly, but basically every time I use it, they take 1 damage on hits until it wears off. Considering how much HP they have already, it basically makes them impossible to kill, unless they get a bunch of blight/bleed stacked up on them or something. A Leper/Crusader pair in your front ranks can shut down a lot of enemies that can't reach the back two.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Magitek posted:

The game is very good overall, but my least favorite aspect is probably that heroes suddenly refuse to go on green-difficulty missions as soon as they hit level three. They may think they're hot poo poo, but without all the blacksmith and guild upgrades they're likely to get stomped by orange-difficulty missions. And since gold is at such a premium, the only good solution I'm seeing is to use multiple separate low level expedition teams to funnel all your upgrades into one "main" team. It's pretty unsatisfying being forced to neglect most of your dudes just to keep pace with an artificial XP restriction.

This is actually something I like. It means you can't just grind low level instances with high level characters. You always have to risk something going out. Things stop being quite so expensive once you get some of the -price improvements too.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 2, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pavlov posted:

This is actually something I like. It means you can't just grind low level instances with high level characters. You always have to risk something going out. Thinks stop being quite so expensive once you get some of the -price improvements too.

Yeah it's kind of annoying to have your favorite guy JUST outlevel an area and suddenly start refusing to go, but it makes sense as a way of preventing you from trivializing the game by just farming low level missions for tons of cash and heirlooms with a high level party. It also encourages you to keep a wider stable of heroes available so you can run missions at all levels. There's enough different classes that it's not like you can use them all in one party anyway, so it's a good way to experiment with ones you don't normally use, as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My vestal had a night on the town and lost the trinket I just bought her for 6k gold :stonk:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zaphod42 posted:

My vestal had a night on the town and lost the trinket I just bought her for 6k gold :stonk:

I had a question about characters going off on a lark: When they leave, they aren't greyed out of the roster, they're straight gone from the roster. If you fill your roster with new recruits in their absence and they come back, do you get them back no matter what, potentially putting you above your roster cut off, or do they not come back until you have an opening, or do they not come back?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Pavlov posted:

This is actually something I like. It means you can't just grind low level instances with high level characters. You always have to risk something going out. Thinks stop being quite so expensive once you get some of the -price improvements too.

I'm fine with requiring multiple parties and not being able to overgear dungeons, but my problem is that getting each team up to snuff doesn't happen organically. You need the loot from multiple teams just to be able to have a single team that isn't at an undue disadvantage.

I'd like it more if I could gear my guys up largely in parallel. As it stands, getting XP is often more of a hindrance than a boon, as it mostly represents a time limit and only provides real benefits if you have the gold to capitalize on it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Lotish posted:

I had a question about characters going off on a lark: When they leave, they aren't greyed out of the roster, they're straight gone from the roster. If you fill your roster with new recruits in their absence and they come back, do you get them back no matter what, potentially putting you above your roster cut off, or do they not come back until you have an opening, or do they not come back?
I had a hellion leave to explore the world or something after a rowdy night in the brothel, and she ended up coming back after a couple weeks, sliding right back into the roster even though my roster was full. So I had 12 people on my 11 people max roster.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Have they said how much this is going to cost on Steam yet? gently caress this game looks great...but I think I'm going to wait til full release.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

katkillad2 posted:

Have they said how much this is going to cost on Steam yet? gently caress this game looks great...but I think I'm going to wait til full release.

Thanks for the OP and all the comments. This game looks rad as gently caress and I'm grabbing it as soon as it becomes available.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

$20 and probably 20 Eur for early access (which is 6 months with gradually more content being added)

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Next build notes from Chris, the firewood exploit is fixed and some stress tuning is happening. Also Cytokinesis is now less frequent on slimes, so that's good.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Do you get to create your characters, or do you always have the Crusader and Thief guy?

\/\/\/\/ Can you rename your guys?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 2, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Firstborn posted:

Do you get to create your characters, or do you always have the Crusader and Thief guy?

Those are always your first two. They come with fixed skills. Your second two are always a Vestal and a Plague Doctor, but their moves are randomized, sort of easing you into how the game always hands you fresh recruits with random skills. After that it's about finding the right recruits you want to keep and grooming them while either padding parties with fodder or dismissing guys who are hopelessly insane.

Firstborn posted:

\/\/\/\/ Can you rename your guys?

Yes, and at some point the ability to change the colors is supposed to happen too.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 2, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Those are always your first two. They come with fixed skill. Your second two are always a Vestal and a Plague Doctor, but their moves are randomized, sort of easing you into how the game always hands you fresh recruits with random skills. After that it's about finding the right recruits you want to keep and grooming them while either padding parties with fodder or dismissing guys who are hopelessly insane.

If you follow the tutorial's advice and level up your stagecoach network with the stuff you got during the opening, you should be swimming in characters in no time.

You don't really need to create characters anyway, as once you unlock the guild hall (which is after like, 2 dungeon runs? It's pretty quick), you can learn any skills a character didn't start with. So the skills they start with randomly aren't that big a deal, although it saves you a bit of cash if they already happen to have the ones you want.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Anyone else been seeing an issue with recruiting? After you recruit someone, people in line underneath them 'fall' up in the line but their graphic doesn't move, so you have to rclick where they were to view their information rather than where they are currently, and can cause you to recruit the wrong people as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

S.J. posted:

Anyone else been seeing an issue with recruiting? After you recruit someone, people in line underneath them 'fall' up in the line but their graphic doesn't move, so you have to rclick where they were to view their information rather than where they are currently, and can cause you to recruit the wrong people as well.

Yeah, I had that. Confused the hell out of me.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Yeah that is a common bug and I believe devs are aware of it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Can I just say that

quote:

Bark Stress tuning - severity, frequency reduced

is going to be really nice. I've found that my biggest problem with stress is that when one character ends up getting an affliction they just never shut up, and every time they bark, which can be as much as twice a round in some cases, they stress everyone else until they blow up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lotish posted:

Can I just say that

is going to be really nice. I've found that my biggest problem with stress is that when one character ends up getting an affliction they just never shut up, and every time they bark, which can be as much as twice a round in some cases, they stress everyone else until they blow up.

Same. This has been the single biggest cause of cascading stress issues.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I hope they don't weaken the bark stress too much, it seemed appropriate that people who go psychotic are a serious threat to the success of the expedition.

I want to try forming a group with three graverobbers some day, just to have them constantly leapfrog over each other with the lunge attack. I'm sure it will be a disaster.

RottenK fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 2, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

S.J. posted:

Yeah, its a bug. They aren't updating the indexes after you pull people over. Ideally you should close the stagecoach each time you hire somebody.

If you try to right click on people after hiring somebody, weird poo poo happens. I've had a crash to desktop happen that way, or characters opening other characters' sheets.

Hopefully they'll sort it out soon.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its a bug. They aren't updating the indexes after you pull people over. Ideally you should close the stagecoach each time you hire somebody.

If you try to right click on people after hiring somebody, weird poo poo happens. I've had a crash to desktop happen that way, or characters opening other characters' sheets.

Hopefully they'll sort it out soon.

Yeah, definitely re open the window because every crash I've had has been a direct result of me not doing that.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
So that's what crashed my game all the time. I was thinking that it can just randomly crash when you do anything with the stagecoach.

Now I can play the game again.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Been running with an AoE blitz combo of Vestal-Highwayman-Hellion-Hellion and it's been working quite well. Two break-throughs and a grape shot isn't usually enough to kill everybody on the first turn, but by the second turn they're hosed. Not a whole lot of CC, but it tends to end fights very quickly.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This looks kinda cool, I'll probably check it out when it's not Early Access because I'm not a sucker.

It doesn't seem to be any more survival horror than say Diablo, though.

Are the characters supposed to be specific people, ie they talk and stuff, or are they all silent?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Anatharon posted:

This looks kinda cool, I'll probably check it out when it's not Early Access because I'm not a sucker.

Are the characters supposed to be specific people, ie they talk and stuff, or are they all silent?

They talk but it is from a pool of lines and banter. They don't have story interactions and they aren't integral characters

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Anatharon posted:

They comment on stuff and each class seems to have unique lines for certain situations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vargs posted:

Been running with an AoE blitz combo of Vestal-Highwayman-Hellion-Hellion and it's been working quite well. Two break-throughs and a grape shot isn't usually enough to kill everybody on the first turn, but by the second turn they're hosed. Not a whole lot of CC, but it tends to end fights very quickly.

Great minds think alike! My composition right now is very similar.

The triple Aoe on the first round with the gunshot and the two cleaves is just nuts.

My tweak is that instead of Vestal I have Occultist, with his bleed heal. The two Hellions have the self-buff that cures bleed and also gives a damage bonus, so I use that strategically to maximize the heal effects.

Anatharon posted:

Supplies are much more limited than Diablo, though. You can't just pop back to town whenever you like, you've gotta try to push all the way or suffer huge losses for your investment. It has this almost Oregon Trail aspect to it. Maybe survival horror isn't right, but its kinda got its own thing going on. I guess roguelike would be more apt, but roguelike can mean anything.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 2, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

but roguelike can mean anything.

Well it does have a pretty specific meaning but people just USE it to mean anything. :v:

Anyways it does look cool but from the sounds of things I should hold out until after it's out of EA and maybe goes on sale.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are the changes retroactive for save games? Or would I need to start anew if I don't want to face killer bandits?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Should work fine with any save.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Anatharon posted:

Well it does have a pretty specific meaning but people just USE it to mean anything. :v:

Anyways it does look cool but from the sounds of things I should hold out until after it's out of EA and maybe goes on sale.

I'd say that, if things go well, the release version will probably be worth a full-price purchase.

Waiting for the end of EA is a reasonable idea, yeah.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RottenK posted:

Waiting for the end of EA is a reasonable idea, yeah.

With that being said though, this is amazingly well-polished for an EA release, if you ask me. Hell, tack on the ending dungeon and I'd say the game's complete.

Shlapintogan posted:

Should work fine with any save.

Awesome!

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah the EA for this is really satisfying. Devs said they still have to add lore and stuff to the game which will probably make an already immersive game pretty amazing. I am glad they are looking at gamey stuff like eating food in combat and stun locking enemies to heal up and get stress relief. They are decently active on the Steam forums too, at least letting people know what they are looking into and the like. Really high hopes for this game and most of them have already been met

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

RottenK posted:

They comment on stuff and each class seems to have unique lines for certain situations.
The Occultist has seemed to have some of the best lines when he snaps from stress and gets Abusive.

From an early run that went south quickly, he started yelling insults at the rest of the party in dead languages and freaking them all out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Occultist has seemed to have some of the best lines when he snaps from stress and gets Abusive.

From an early run that went south quickly, he started yelling insults at the rest of the party in dead languages and freaking them all out:

When my Occultist freaked out and turned Irrational, he started screaming as if he was possessed by one of he demons he communes with. "THIS ONE'S SOUL IS MINE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE HIM!", as he refused healing.

Game owns.