Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

the littlest prince posted:

I'd say it's too birdly to tell. I doubt Pony has released any concrete ewes about it.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

the littlest prince posted:

I'd say it's too birdly to tell. I doubt Pony has released any concrete ewes about it.
I was going to make fun of you, but then I actually read the post you quoted.

:v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

I bet you're insufferable in real life.
He seems pretty cool to me but I generally hang around people who are right a lot and are confident in their decision-making. Those kinds of people are only annoying to people who self-sabotage I've found, not that I am extrapolating from limited personal experience. That's just the oil to their water from what I've seen.

That said, Lollipop is fine, works for me! :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LastInLine posted:

He seems pretty cool to me but I generally hang around people who are right a lot and are confident in their decision-making. Those kinds of people are only annoying to people who self-sabotage I've found, not that I am extrapolating from limited personal experience. That's just the oil to their water from what I've seen.

That said, Lollipop is fine, works for me! :)

Lollipop works fine for me too! I was just pointing out how RZA called someone a dumbass for posting an anecdote and based on that I am assuming he himself is an asshat in real life. I like to observe and speculate :)

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Rastor posted:

Welcome to the "I miss physical keyboards" club, friend. :( I stuck with them as long as I possibly could (Motorola Photon Q and then LG Optimus F3Q) but they just plain don't make them with anything but the shittiest possible internals nowadays. Clip-on bluetooth keyboards are all horrible pieces of poo poo still.

DON'T try to find one that's the same size as the Droid 4. Instead get the absolute largest phone you think you can possibly stand / fit in your pockets. The larger space to work with will make the onscreen keyboard slightly more bearable.

I like my Moto X (2014) overall. I still miss the physical keyboards every time I write something, but using letter swiping on the onscreen keyboard I'm at least not too much slower, even though it doesn't feel as natural.

I even bought my Droid 4 a year or so after it came out, because I was thinking I'd upgrade from the D3 to the D5.... But then my 3 started having a lot of weird crashes when the phone switched to landscape (meaning keyboard use pretty much was only something I could do after crashing and re-opening something, or I had to have it open from before I even unlocked the phone). My Droid4 was fine, minus maps being a bit unstable for a while. Then a year later the phone ran like my parents 10 year old computer that no longer meets the minimum specs for Windows. Or Hell I think their computer was running better than it. It pisses me off that everyone had to bust their nuts so hard over touch only, since they kept just releasing the Droid phones as underpowered and underwhelming and then said: "Oh hey no one wants buttons obviously." I use Swype on my Nexus7 and it's ok... but any time I have it and I want to write a note, email, whatever... I try to switch to my phone and use it instead (and then usually give up because the piece of poo poo will freeze and have everything lock up 4 or 5 times it takes me to open an app or text).

Sucks to hear the bluetooth keyboards are still poo poo, but I guess I mostly expected it since buttons are so hated now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Get a Blackberry Q series which has a keyboard and can emulate Androi-ahahahahahhahahahaha
Hilariously (?) I think that would be an improvement to how my droid 4 is at this point. I'll probably still try to suffer and hold off of a new phone for a few more months now, unless the next time I throw the phone while drunk and angry breaks it (I've got to hand it to my phone's cheap $1 case... it damaged the wall but the phone and case are still fine)

edit: Actually I wonder if Blackberries still have super long battery life (I assume due to being weak and lovely). I had a girlfriend around 4 years ago that used a Blackberry. It still had the smaller Blackberry screen without touch, and that phone could last 3-4 days even with her using the net on it a lot. I definitely don't want one, but that was always impressive (or not, considering the size and weakness of the phone)
-----

I really don't want to get a phone anything over 5" at all though. I don't even like the idea of surpassing 4". I almost wish I could go to a non smart phone out of spite. Are there any new awesome android phones expected to come out by around Q2 of 2015? And should I just expect them to release a ton of 6"+ phones to compete with Apple at this point? (also from the look of the last 2 pages, it sounds like Lollipop isn't running so hot at the moment?)

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 1, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Lollipop works fine for me too! I was just pointing out how RZA called someone a dumbass for posting an anecdote and based on that I am assuming he himself is an asshat in real life. I like to observe and speculate :)
Nah, the world takes all types, man.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I love how we are arguing about whether android works or not. Let's go back three or four years where it just didn't. Saved us a lot of arguing :shobon:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MaxDuo posted:

Hilariously (?) I think that would be an improvement to how my droid 4 is at this point. I'll probably still try to suffer and hold off of a new phone for a few more months now, unless the next time I throw the phone while drunk and angry breaks it (I've got to hand it to my phone's cheap $1 case... it damaged the wall but the phone and case are still fine)
Oh you're one of those types.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MaxDuo posted:

Sucks to hear the bluetooth keyboards are still poo poo, but I guess I mostly expected it since buttons are so hated now.

It's not that physical keyboards/buttons are hated, rather that they're unnecessary anymore.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hooah posted:

It's not that physical keyboards/buttons are hated, rather that they're unnecessary anymore.

I got rid of my Droid 3 when I realized that swiftkey was better faster and easier to use than sliding it out every time I needed to type something. Anything that an onscreen keyboard would be inappropriate for, a physical phone keyboard is also going to be inappropriate for.

Although I'd buy the poo poo out of an updated Blackberry pearl with a touchscreen and its keyboard.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lollipop is great on my Moto X. My Nexus 7 2013 seems okay too but I got after the initial release people complained about. Seems okay on my wife's 2012 N7 too. But the N5 was unusable up until 5.01 update and now it's reminding me of some poo poo bargain level 2011 era phone

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

For the second or third time in a few months, my N4 drained the battery entirely overnight. This time it was in airplane mode and plugged into a laptop via USB - it's pretty slow to charge at 4-5 hours for a full charge, but still charges. When I got up, the notification light was red and it wouldn't turn on. I booted up the laptop and it started charging again. After starting the phone again, the battery app just shows a flat line for -1422713705 secs. e: It looks like it reset the date to 1/1/1970. The biggest drain was maps followed by opera, but it pretty much went straight down after midnight. Maybe I left the GPS on or something but that's still brutal.

So, uh, what the hell? I've found a bunch of threads about overnight battery drain on forums, but not under these particular circumstances.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 2, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

eXXon posted:

For the second or third time in a few months, my N4 drained the battery entirely overnight. This time it was in airplane mode and plugged into a laptop via USB - it's pretty slow to charge at 4-5 hours for a full charge, but still charges. When I got up, the notification light was red and it wouldn't turn on. I booted up the laptop and it started charging again. After starting the phone again, the battery app just shows a flat line for -1422713705 secs (it started counting up).

So, uh, what the hell? I've found a bunch of threads about overnight battery drain on forums, but not under these particular circumstances.

Does your laptop have some sort of configuration setting for how the USB port(s) behave when the laptop is turned off? I had close to the exact same thing happen on my old Toshiba laptop once when using the fancy combination eSATA/USB port, changed the setting and it never happened since (though I'm not entirely sure I ever repeated the circumstances now that I think about it).

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WhyteRyce posted:

Lollipop is great on my Moto X. My Nexus 7 2013 seems okay too but I got after the initial release people complained about. Seems okay on my wife's 2012 N7 too. But the N5 was unusable up until 5.01 update and now it's reminding me of some poo poo bargain level 2011 era phone

Did you try a factory reset? In my experience, almost every time an Android phone behaved lovely right after an update a factory reset fixed it up.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Desk Lamp posted:

Did you try a factory reset? In my experience, almost every time an Android phone behaved lovely right after an update a factory reset fixed it up.

Yep

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I like the bug on my Nexus 6 where voicemail notifications don't clear out unless I restart the phone. Lollipop is p good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I like the bug on my Nexus 6 where voicemail notifications don't clear out unless I restart the phone. Lollipop is p good
Is this your carrier voicemail? Seems to work just fine with Google Voice on N5/N6.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You must be lying because Google Voice Voicemail notifications have never worked properly. Ever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You must be lying because Google Voice Voicemail notifications have never worked properly. Ever.
They've never ever failed me but I've also never used the Voice app's notifications and instead relied on the email to GMail to be the notification. I never understood why I'd want the VM notification anyway--I've got a missed call notification, an email notification from Google Voice, and now a Hangout notification which works fine too. Why do I want the app to trigger one too?

Half the time I have no interest in the VM anyway. I know who called me and that they want to talk to me, I usually just call them back if it's within a reasonable time window.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

They've never ever failed me but I've also never used the Voice app's notifications and instead relied on the email to GMail to be the notification. I never understood why I'd want the VM notification anyway--I've got a missed call notification, an email notification from Google Voice, and now a Hangout notification which works fine too. Why do I want the app to trigger one too?

Half the time I have no interest in the VM anyway. I know who called me and that they want to talk to me, I usually just call them back if it's within a reasonable time window.

You never get calls from unknown numbers? That's all I get these days.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I always hate how I have to press play like 10 times before my voice mail would play. Or I'd download a 20th+ copy of voicemail.mp3

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You never get calls from unknown numbers? That's all I get these days.
Never. Sounds like you got thrown on some database. The only people I ever get phone calls from are my parents who have no idea how to text and people like the doctor's office or car shop telling me things. I get maybe one call a month.

I haven't received an unsolicited call in years.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have my google voice voicemails show up in hangouts, and it crashes 100% of the time I first attempt to listen to a voicemail. (As in, voicemail comes in, I check it, hangouts crashes, I check it again and it works)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

It's not that they don't work. I just get about 8 notifications each time I miss a call.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Never. Sounds like you got thrown on some database. The only people I ever get phone calls from are my parents who have no idea how to text and people like the doctor's office or car shop telling me things. I get maybe one call a month.

I haven't received an unsolicited call in years.

Lucky. Also I can't believe that GVM is still US only.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Never. Sounds like you got thrown on some database.

The downside to being on Cricket v:shobon:v

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Is this your carrier voicemail? Seems to work just fine with Google Voice on N5/N6.

It's a Nexus 6 on Verizon. Worked fine on a 2013 moto x. Pretty annoying since I get lots of work related calls that I can't answer immediately so I would like to know if I have a new vmail

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's a Nexus 6 on Verizon. Worked fine on a 2013 moto x. Pretty annoying since I get lots of work related calls that I can't answer immediately so I would like to know if I have a new vmail

That may well be a Verizon problem then more so than a Lollipop issue. The problem with the N6 on Verizon is that it shows up in their system as an "unknown device," and they don't have whatever info they need to properly provision device/platform-specific things like voicemail.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The downside to being on Cricket v:shobon:v

Numbers get recycled no matter who you use as a provider. Sprint gave me a number that had a parole officer calling me weekly. Net10 gave me one who had a bunch of debt collectors.

I dropped my first phone and the top of the screen has a hairline crack. I feel like my phone is tainted now. Really should just order a tpu case and tempered glass whenever I get a new phone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So I visited some terrible right wing clickbait news stories from Facebook and now google now "stories to read" has terrible stupid crap popping up from time to time. Does swiping the article off tell google "stop showing me poo poo like this" or just remove that one article?

Basically is there some "stop showing me poo poo like this" setting or is it going to be easier to start hating Obama.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 2, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

So I visited some terrible right wing clickbait news stories from Facebook and now google now "stories to read" has terrible stupid crap popping up from time to time. Does swiping the article off tell google "stop showing me poo poo like this" or just remove that one article?

Basically is there some "stop showing me poo poo like this" setting or is it going to be easier to start hating Obama.
There should be a︙in the corner of the card. Hit that and tell it you aren't interested.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LastInLine posted:

There should be a︙in the corner of the card. Hit that and tell it you aren't interested.

Yeah, that works for stuff with its own card, but not the stuff that gets aggregated in stories to read as fast as I can tell. Oh well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, that works for stuff with its own card, but not the stuff that gets aggregated in stories to read as fast as I can tell. Oh well.
If you go to the sidebar, Settings > Everything Else, is there a category there that would excise what you want?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lblitzer posted:

Really should just order a tpu case and tempered glass whenever I get a new phone.
Yes, you should.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Oh you're one of those types.

I've never been one to throw my phones or anything, actually. I've still got my gameboy, gameboy color, gba sp, DS Lite, 3DS, and pretty much every phone I've ever bought (that, or I traded / sold them) all in almost perfect condition without even dropping them, getting them in water, etc.

This phone is just so lovely at this point that I spent 15 minutes trying to do something on it, and it would freeze, go slow, freeze, crash, freeze, etc until I just got so pissed that I threw the phone at a chair, and it hit the wall instead.

I guess I technically still have the phone in perfect physical condition...... but not the wall.

Athenry posted:

I got rid of my Droid 3 when I realized that swiftkey was better faster and easier to use than sliding it out every time I needed to type something. Anything that an onscreen keyboard would be inappropriate for, a physical phone keyboard is also going to be inappropriate for.

Although I'd buy the poo poo out of an updated Blackberry pearl with a touchscreen and its keyboard.

I'm not sure what the typing method would be inappropriate for... but at least with the physical keyboards I like the fact that I don't even have to look at the phone to type. And I'm still convinced I can type faster with my 2 thumbs than swyping. Also it never really felt like a hassle to slide out the keyboard to me.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 2, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It doesn't really matter in the end--if you want a good phone you're not going to get a keyboard, which incidentally was true when you got the Droid 4. The sooner you accept this the better off you'll be.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

He was coming from an iPhone. Not sure why you had to address this two days and two pages later.

Get over it. Not all of us view the forums the same way.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

b0nes posted:

Get over it. Not all of us view the forums the same way.

... I thought everyone viewed them chronologically. Are you a Time Lord?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Anyone have any lock screen recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

... I thought everyone viewed them chronologically. Are you a Time Lord?
I wrote a Chrome extension that reorders posts randomly. I like to call it Forum Remix.