Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Whats so special about Tetsuhara?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artificer posted:

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I made sure the Inner Sphere had a couple of decent fast/fragile options too, just like I made sure the Clans had a few slower / punchier units. The Clans do speed better, but the Inner Sphere's still pretty ok at going fast. Clan tanks are just hilariously fragile which balances their greater firepower out pretty well.
Ok, I was a little worried I was shooting myself in the foot there! There any IS tanks with LB-Xs?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't recognize any of the names on the list so I'm going to vote just A. Hopefully always winning initiative will take the edge of the Clan's mobility advantage.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

3A because why not.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

LeadSled posted:

Warlord Tetsuhara? Is there really a need for us to vote given that he's an option?

Well, one of the best Clan options is this one:

People might've wanted to watch me go insane trying to counter 6+ players in 9/14 Eponas while they get to beat up on Marcus "I Ruin loving Everything" Kurita. :shrug:

Friar John posted:

Ok, I was a little worried I was shooting myself in the foot there! There any IS tanks with LB-Xs?

I made sure the Inner Sphere had better access to LB-X autocannons in general as a balancing factor for the mission. 3 of their options have LB 10-Xs. The Clans only get LB-X autocannons on two units and one of those only gets an LB 5-X.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 2, 2015

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

PoptartsNinja posted:

People might've wanted to watch me go insane trying to counter 6+ players in 9/14 Eponas while they get to beat up on Marcus "I Ruin loving Everything" Kurita. :shrug:
Well, the problem is I don't know who that is and why he's such a gently caress up :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Plus the Draconis Combine has been getting shat on, I still like FedSun, and gently caress Clans. :v:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I had a blast piloting the Assassin through this game, PTN, that was one drat fun machine. Thanks for letting me hope that little guy around for the last few months!

OpForce: Goes to the Dragon, that bastard tied up the right side for so many turns and then completed it's rear end in a top hat ways by mutually headcapping one of us.

Goons: The Blackjack takes this one, he was in play constantly and was a huge help clearing out the encroaching infantry at times.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

gently caress Clans. :v:

Counterpoint:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Counterpoint:

Is that a hovertank? Good god.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It is.

It's a "Pursuit" tank because it's what the Clans use when they just want you dead.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
3A!

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
So how to tank drivers fit in the Clan structure? Cool dudes, or guys not good enough for mechs?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kial posted:

So how to tank drivers fit in the Clan structure? Cool dudes, or guys not good enough for mechs?

"Glorified technicians" to most Clans, though at least Hell's Horses don't poo poo on their tank guys the way others do.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

T.G. Xarbala posted:

"Glorified technicians" to most Clans, though at least Hell's Horses don't poo poo on their tank guys the way others do.

So what, they're just the tech responsible for ensuring proper operation of the machine during live combat conditions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kial posted:

Only Clan Hell's Horses and (far more rarely) the Goliath Scorpions still use tanks in front-line units. The other Clans basically assign rejects, burnouts, and solamha troops to tanks and assign them to go get killed fighting bandits.

Consequently, most Clan tanks have terrible armor for their weight because who cares if a bunch of old men die when their Odin Scout Tank (which I lovingly refer to as the Combat Tricycle) takes a turn too sharply and starts cartwheeling across the countryside at 130kph?

Most Clan tank crews are worse than the Inner Sphere average (5/6 rather than 4/5), except for Clan Hell's Horses who gets tank crews that are the equal of their Inner Sphere counterparts.

Edit: And, just to make you laugh, the Epona has a 4 man crew. Tank Commander, Driver, Gunner, and someone too stupid to do any of those things who gets to load the medium pulse laser ammo. :v:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 2, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

After-Action Report:and due to some unlucky rolling and some excellent player maneuvering

What moves in particular are making you think this? I'd like to go back and look at them and see what/why.

y'know for future reference in 2017 or so.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No specifics, but I was on the back foot shortly after engaging you with the Tortugans. My plan was to hit and fade, instead I got myself surrounded like an idiot and lost them all with no real recourse. From that point on it was me stalling and hoping I'd get a reinforcements roll before you realized how little I could do if you decided to swarm me. My reinforcements never showed up!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AJ_Impy posted:

How can I choose? Goonlance were all amazing on this one, take a bow. Let's say the Charger and the Marauder for goonlance and opfor respectively.

Seconding this.

Well God damned played, Goonlance. That was one of the best - possibly the best - Goonlance performances yet. While most matches have had one or two Goon standouts, this match had everyone working together like clockwork. Well played.

Political vote: 3) Warlord Minobu Tetsuhara

Who do we fight as? A. 1st Draconis Suns Regimental Combat Team. PTN's playstyle meshes too well with the IS tanks; let's make him deal with the speedy, inexplicably exploding glass cannons.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

Who should lead the Draconis Suns Regimental Combat Teams on Chatham?
1) Field Marshal Duke James Sandoval
2) Warlord Marcus Kurita
3) Warlord Minobu Tetsuhara
4) Warlord Hirushi Shotugama
5) Warlord Kester Hsiun Chi
6) Theodore Kurita
7) Ardan Sortek
A bit of personal research on all the candidates:
- James Sandoval is a Federated Suns noble and one of Hanse Davion's most trusted military commanders. The Kuritan half of the RCTs may respect his skill, but will not like him much; the Davion half may expect him to take their side in any disputes over logistics & resupply, deployments, etc. Probably more able than most to call in direct support from New Avalon if things get sticky. Personal rating (in the role of RCT commander): 8/10.
- Marcus Kurita is a cousin of ex-Coordinator Takashi. Half his district has been eaten by the Clans already, which means he has experience fighting them but also lots of experience losing. Has already expressed a lack of confidence in the troops. Personal rating: 2/10.
- Minobu Tetsuhara appears to have gotten a promotion to Warlord in the PTN timeline out of competence and doing more visibly useful things than just engaging with Wolf's Dragoons. OTOH, it's not clear how much grand strategy experience he really has, and he appreciates Space 80s' Bushido in a way that may bite Hanse on the rear end. Personal rating: 3/10.
- Hirushi Shotugama commands the Benjamin Military District, which makes him arguably James Sandoval's opposite number except that the Davion troops in the RCTs may disrespect as well as dislike him, and he won't have the direct panic line to New Avalon. Personal rating: 6/10.
- Kester Hsiun Chi is probably commanding the Galedon Military District, which makes him Hirushi's battle-buddy. He also apparently has a decent sense for diplomacy and indirect strategy, since in OTL he helped broker a truce with the Free Worlds League and the Capellans to prepare for the FedCom alliance. Unlike the Benjamin district, some of the Galedon district arguably borders on foreign territory (of the Outworlds Protectorate, but still...), which may not make him well-suited to detach for command of a relatively small-scale military push. Personal rating: 5/10.
- Theodore Kurita is a bit of a surprise here, since someone like Hanse Davion is probably likely to use him to guard the border with the Taurian Concordat to prevent a string of military victories that give him prestige needed for a Restoration Of The Combine. Possibly the most flexible and strategically canny of the available commanders, but quite possibly prone to being "tragically headcapped while leading from the front". Personal rating: 4/10.
- Ardan Sortek is Hanse's BFF, which is his only apparent command qualification. Sure, he'd probably be death on legs personally, but for overall command of a multi-regimental force? Personal rating: 1/10.

That said, I'm less inclined to go for overall capability (or lack of same) and instead look at interesting story results. A victory led by a Combine Warlord, not of the former ruling family, reclaiming Combine territory with the help of Suns' troops has all sorts of interesting nuances... and failure gets almost as interesting. And I'd rather see the players running the offense in any mission, with PTN's OpFor on defense, than the other way around. 4A.

Also, Goonstar Charger and OpFor Marauder for the pirate mission MVPs. Charger was simply the most entertaining thing on the battlefield with the wrestling moves, and Marauder Arrow IV spam was hilariously random. Other units may have been as effective, but none of them were as flashy about it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Voyager I posted:

So what, they're just the tech responsible for ensuring proper operation of the machine during live combat conditions?

It's not like the bulk of Clans show any appreciation for anybody not part of the Warrior caste. And tanks are so low on the totem pole that even Warriors assigned to them are basically treated as being "less" than good, proper, young Warriors--hence, "glorified technicians." The Scientist caste rarely gets any attention except for the one time they rebelled and got crushed (and the Falcons exterminated their entire Scientist caste, because of course they did), their only job is apparently to make better weapons for Warriors to kill things with. The Technician caste is also largely disregarded except for when something goes wrong and you need someone to blame. Only Sharks/Foxes appreciate their Merchant caste or their intelligence services. Nobody cares about Laborers.

Clan society is hosed up in a way that glorifies people who pilot `Mechs at the expense of everybody else while exceptions to this are usually part of some other Clan's specific quirks. Like how Snow Raven's naval and aerospace assets ain't nothing to gently caress with, how Hell's Horses actually put tanks to good use, or how the Ghost Bears have a top-notch football team. Granted, for Elementals at least tend to get a fair amount of respect compared to other Warriors who don't pilot robots, possibly because their suits are arguably similar robots, just smaller. Also you wouldn't want to get into a fistfight with one.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Consequently, most Clan tanks have terrible armor for their weight because who cares if a bunch of old men die when their Odin Scout Tank (which I lovingly refer to as the Combat Tricycle) takes a turn too sharply and starts cartwheeling across the countryside at 130kph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Charger, Marauder

6A

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

No specifics, but I was on the back foot shortly after engaging you with the Tortugans. My plan was to hit and fade, instead I got myself surrounded like an idiot and lost them all with no real recourse. From that point on it was me stalling and hoping I'd get a reinforcements roll before you realized how little I could do if you decided to swarm me. My reinforcements never showed up!

I had been wondering what your plan was on the right flank, since those two mechs were clearly outmatched against the 4-5 members of our team they were engaging and there wasn't anybody in a position to back them up if they got stuck in. I take it now your intent was to keep us occupied on that flank and make space for the Tortugans to back out without committing to a brawl, but getting away from Trundel's 7/11/7 rear-armor can opener proved to be less feasible than expected?

For my own part, I did my damndest to ensure that when I couldn't get in a position to shoot the Dragon directly, I was somewhere that threatened rear shots next turn of she tried to rejoin the Consorts.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 2, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

I had been wondering what your plan was on the right flank, since those two mechs were clearly outmatched against the 4-5 members of our team they were engaging and there wasn't anybody in a position to back them up if they got stuck in. I take it now your intent was to keep us occupied on that flank and make space for the Tortugans to back out without committing to a brawl, but getting away from Trundel's 7/11/7 rear-armor can opener proved to be less feasible than expected?

There were two plans there, you hit the first one spot on.

The second option would've happened if you guys hadn't noticed them, or ignored them. The Dragon's a great flanker with a hidden quirk that lets him simply plow through buildings without worry. He was pretty much going to roll straight into your back-field and either headhunt if you let me single anyone out or force you to turn your back on the Tortugans to take him on.

Edit: Instead, you guys reacted perfectly, committed just enough forces to completely lock me down, and killed him.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 2, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Artificer posted:

Repeating myself, but:

GhostStalker posted:

Voting 3A. Playing the Great Black Samurai is too tempting to pass up.

Friar John posted:

Well, the problem is I don't know who that is and why he's such a gently caress up :v:

I don't know much about him at all either, but one of the things I did pick up regarding BattleTech via osmosis is that Marcus Kurita is a pretty big fuckup. I think he was involved in a rebellion against Takashi of some sort (or was the Ronin Wars?), as he thought he could run the Combine better than his cousin, but was too pigheaded and stuck in the old ways (even more so that Takashi) to successfully do so.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I feel like this mostly came down to the players reading the situation correctly as a team. You started yourself out in a very compromised position with your forces scattered across the map, and it was a race against time for us to leverage that advantage and pressure isolated groups faster than you could link your forces. We did a good job of it, thanks in no small part to the Charger's general gameplan being 'full speed ahead' and the overall :black101: mood of the scenario. I don't know how much more you have done in the situation you were in, especially since if we'd run the scenario from the Consorts perspective letting the Fusileers get wiped out probably would have been a secondary objective.

I mean, obviously you know this because you designed the scenario, so I what I'm really saying is that you did a good job of providing the players with a clear strategic metagame to play as well as a non-gamey incentive to get right into the thick of it. This was a loving great mission, and having read through every scenario in the LP I wouldn't trade my 45-ton gimmick boat for any of 'em.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 2, 2015

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

I feel like this mostly came down to the players reading the situation correctly as a team. You started yourself out in a very compromised position with your forces scattered across the map, and it was a race against time for us to leverage that advantage and pressure isolated groups faster than you could link your forces. We did a good job of it, thanks in no small part to the Charger's general gameplan being 'full speed ahead' and the overall :black101: mood of the scenario. I don't know how much more you have done in the situation you were in, especially since if we'd run the scenario from the Consorts perspective letting the Fusileers get wiped out probably would have been a secondary objective.

I mean, obviously you know this because you designed the scenario, so I what I'm really saying is that you did a good job of providing the players with a clear strategic metagame to play as well as a non-gamey incentive to get right into the thick of it.

My goal was to always be wrasslin' or advancing towards eventual wrasslin', while also attempting to dictate PTN's movement options.

This mission was goddamn glorious and I could not be more happy with it.

Edit: For a bunch of pirates, we had some damned fine teamwork. Cheers to all of you!

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 2, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Player MVP: CHARGER
Enemy MVP: Everyone who got wrestled by the CHARGER as he should be a polite winner, and thank every one of his opponents for the good match.

1A

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Voyager I posted:

I feel like this mostly came down to the players reading the situation correctly as a team.

This was a loving great mission

apostateCourier posted:

This mission was goddamn glorious and I could not be more happy with it.

Edit: For a bunch of pirates, we had some damned fine teamwork. Cheers to all of you!

Agreeing with both of these posts.

Also, I learned that SRMs are great, as my SRM buddy Cloud Potato can attest.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2B Because, as always, it is the most hilarious option.

Edit: Not to mention we get to play with some sweet new tanks.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
3A cause I am in a loving great mood and am more than ready to see the DS in action. Tetsuhara is a cool dude and deserves a better fate.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
3A

I guess the FR Insurgency didn't succeed in cutting the Widomaker supply lines, huh?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
4A

Whether Hanse is willing to admit it or not, he needs this to be led by a Kuritan. The symbolism is just too damned important to piss away on personal pride. As for which Kuritan commander, it's safest to go with the known quantity. A competent soldier with a justifiable caution about this sort of aggressive mission.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Voting Blackjack for Goon MVP and Marauder for Opfor MVP.

Political Vote: 3 A

Tetsuhara was a good enough multi-regimental commander in the prime universe to fight Wolf's Dragoons with a mixed bag of DCMS regiments - not just his Ryuken. Even fighting basically blind (due to no satellite/aerospace recon) and within the restrictions of Combine bushido shenanigans, his command nearly beat the Dragoons on Misery. Even a "marginal defeat" was enough to seriously gently caress Wolf's Dragoons up going into the 4th Succession War.

Additionally, even though he was big on the bushido thing in the DCMS structure, he was still a flexible, adaptable commander when it came to MechWarrior selection (much more egalitarian than other DCMS regiments) and deployment for the Ryuken. If he's similar in capabilities in this universe, he's one of the best choices for a AFDS strike against the Clans.

So yeah, the black samurai's a great choice.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
That was a really great mission and you should all feel good for doing as well as you did. Good communication and great blitzkrieg won the day, adding more weight to the thread long argument that too much caution gets you undone.

Does the political vote change anything about how the scenario plays?

MVPs: For riding around on a glorified bomb you did incredibly well, Blackjack.

Dragon
of course, for all the reasons others have said.

7A, because it's interesting.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
6A

thunderbolt
Jun 13, 2006
3025 and loving it.
3A

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PTN I just want to say it was awesome you rolled those crits for us instead of just shrugging once the King Crab died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holybat posted:

Tetsuhara was a good enough multi-regimental commander in the prime universe to fight Wolf's Dragoons with a mixed bag of DCMS regiments - not just his Ryuken. Even fighting basically blind (due to no satellite/aerospace recon) and within the restrictions of Combine bushido shenanigans, his command nearly beat the Dragoons on Misery. Even a "marginal defeat" was enough to seriously gently caress Wolf's Dragoons up going into the 4th Succession War.

This. The guy fought the Dragoons to the limit back when the unit was made up of Clan-trained pilots with vintage Star League gear using a grab bag of Combine troops in classic 3SW-era machines held together with tape who were too busy committing suicide any time they failed a crit chance roll to fight and STILL pushed them to the ropes.

3A. Better tell the Clans that Minobu Tetsuhara is coming for them and Chatham is ABOUT TO GET GOT.

• Locked thread