Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

java is only worth using if you want the best tools, languages, frameworks, and the most money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

both are good choices. go c# if you only want to work on windows, java if you want to do linux stuff as well.

why would you ever want to work on windows

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

because its the best os

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
cj'ing linux is a black hole of terrible. much worse than cj'ing windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also for web stuff the current asp.net stack is lightyears better than everything else.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

this indicates that you have a bright future ahead of you, working for $9/hr

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

also for web stuff the current asp.net stack is lightyears better than everything else.

like everything worth using, it runs on linux

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
windows shops have higher headcount per server, but very similar personnel costs

you do the math

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
poo poo, you're a windows guy, i will have to do the math for you: $9/hr

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i don't necessarily come down on either side of the debate. i like both windows and linux for their merits

i guess what i'm saying is "fight amongst yourselves"

also looking for good java books if there are any suggestions

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

also looking for good java books if there are any suggestions

if you have never written any java before, the official oracle docs aren't terrible

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how do you say "fries are up!" in powershell?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
effective Java by Bloch is the best
then do Java Concurrency in Practice by Brian Goetz

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Subjunctive posted:

how do you say "fries are up!" in powershell?

code:
PS C:\Users\Alex> echo "fries are up!"
fries are up!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fart simpson posted:

code:

PS C:\Users\Alex> echo "fries are up!"
fries are up!

thanks, Alex

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thalex

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you have never written any java before, the official oracle docs aren't terrible

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

i have. i'm looking for more advanced stuff

Janitor Prime posted:

effective Java by Bloch is the best
then do Java Concurrency in Practice by Brian Goetz

thx!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

i don't necessarily come down on either side of the debate. i like both windows and linux for their merits

here's the thing: almost every company has both linux and windows, but they are very deeply siloed. you usually don't get to straddle the line, or pick them "on their merits" (windows has no merits)

nobody sits down and says "well this new application will be .net because foo and bar." they either give it to the .net dev team, or the java dev team. the apps and servers are deployed by the windows ops team, or the linux ops team.

it's a pretty bad job where you touch both. that's honest to god sh/sc computer janitor territory. if you want to make money, you specialize

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

here's the thing: almost every company has both linux and windows, but they are very deeply siloed. you usually don't get to straddle the line, or pick them "on their merits" (windows has no merits)

nobody sits down and says "well this new application will be .net because foo and bar." they either give it to the .net dev team, or the java dev team. the apps and servers are deployed by the windows ops team, or the linux ops team.

it's a pretty bad job where you touch both. that's honest to god sh/sc computer janitor territory. if you want to make money, you specialize

yeah that's what i've been learning lately

i've been a generalist for the last 5 years and while i get paid ok right now i know i could make quite a bit more elsewhere if i'd specialize a little bit more

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Subjunctive posted:

thanks, Alex

youre welcome

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

windows has lots of merits, like being good

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

praise from bloody

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Blinkz0rz posted:

:psyduck:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Soricidus posted:

both are good choices. go c# if you only want to work on windows, java if you want to do linux stuff as well.

it might be different in your city but over here 90+% of the enterprise type java jobs are all Windows
not counting Android of course

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i like looking up these terrible companies with terrible craigslist ads on glassdoor

quote:

* idiotic management with zero tech experience (hello your entire product is tech)
* no direction whatsoever (nobody knows what is going on, ever)
* management/CEO derides and insults employees
* pure focus on development, systems viewed as a blocker
* CEO's first job was writing the joke-of-a software his first company is based off of
* "on call" means work whenever the CEO asks, even if it is on your day off
* amount of work is rewarded instead of quality or being "done right" (IE bad code is rewarded over good code)
* "senior" staff is a bunch of mediocre wannabe developers who wrote some javascript once and now lead entire projects
* compensation is on par with a warehouse job with amazon, on the high end

quote:

Pros: The nice part is that you will meet people from other really good firms and then you can go work at those.
Cons: This is most dishonest place I have ever seen. It makes a used car dealership seem like the model to service and honesty.
Advice to Management: You have a good product. You should sell it to a company with an ethical compass.

quote:

Questionable ethics. Employee computers loaded with spyware to monitor usage (key logging, screen recording, network interception, etc). CEO seems to be bi-polar with extreme swings in mood and affect. Lots of great people that seem broken by the company and just accept their lot in life, like this is the normal way you run a company.

quote:

Never in the 10 years serving my field have I ever seen so many employees be hired to be fired after only a few months, but not before they're degraded in front of their peers, HR breeches confidentiality and jokes are passed around just before and after the fact.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
When I see a company with a bunch of bad reviews, then one or two glowing reviews, I always wonder if the glowing reviews were written by execs, or what.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CPColin posted:

When I see a company with a bunch of bad reviews, then one or two glowing reviews, I always wonder if the glowing reviews were written by execs, or what.

they always are

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you've never seen one where all the good reviews are from people that all seem to work in HR?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

quote:

The owner is a one man shop . There is one org chart, the owner, below sits everyone else. You are expected to work long hours, if you are a member of the 42:30 club then you are nothing. You are considered a warrior if you stay late. Completing job assignments is just not enough, if you just sit there after 5:30 pm you are considered a hero. Since you are putting the hours in, playing online poker or video games as long as you are in front of a monitor screen you should be golden and will mostlikely be promoted. One of the worst management of people I've seen. People working in factories probably are treated better. This company tries to be hip by offering free sodas, the benefits are bad to average. PTO don't even think about asking for vacation, you are considered an enemy for asking and will be personally attacked for just thinking of vacation. You are also not allowed to have a personal life, no work life balance. Do not dare to have outside activities, the company IS your sole purpose. If you want to work for a place that treats you like you are sub human and insult you and blame you for management's decision, please apply.

vs

quote:

You will always be challenged to produce the best of what you have. Their is no room for complacency, which is awesome because when you become complacent, you get bored and lose skills. Geographic Solutions is a fun company to work for and has a great group of developers to work with.

Best Management team that I have worked for. Keep up the good work. You make this place of work an enjoyable place to be. No Micromanagement here. You have faith in your programmers and we have faith in you. Good Job!

or even worse

quote:

There were almost no opportunities to advance within Autoloop, especially if you weren't part of the 'Church of Scientology' group.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 1, 2015

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the best way to do C# on a mac? On mono do I get all the same frameworks like ASP.NET MVC?

I don't want to spend money

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mono claims to support asp.net but i have never used it

from reading their site you don't get WPF, WCF, and .net 4.5 async stuff is lovely

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 2, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
virtualize windows or bootcamp

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Flat Daddy posted:

What's the best way to do C# on a mac? On mono do I get all the same frameworks like ASP.NET MVC?

write some java which is like 80% the same anyway

NickFendon
May 4, 2009
nancyfx runs fine on mono and is better than asp.net anyway. at least until vnext.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
these wacky names are going out of hand

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

NickFendon posted:

nancyfx runs fine on mono and is better than asp.net anyway. at least until vnext.

quote:

The super-duper-happy-path

The "super-duper-happy-path" (or SDHP if you’re ‘down with the kids’ ;-)) is a phrase we coined to describe the ethos of Nancy; and providing the “super-duper-happy-path” experience is something we strive for in all of our APIs.
please keep your plang out of my c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

upgrade your os to windows and then get the free version of vs 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Flat Daddy posted:

learn java instead

• Locked thread