Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Photex
Apr 6, 2009

clutchcon just finished the 1st place prize was only 8k? After all that bullshit i'm sure that was totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

henne posted:

Welcome to csgo. I've given up on concepts such as trying, coordinating buys, atemptimg to win, working together and now play solely to gently caress around. Its a lot more fun. I look at boobs when I'm dead and listening to music the whole game. I'm finally having fun some of the time.

Yeah if you lower your expectations enough it's much more enjoyable. I just killed a guy pushing squeaking on Cache, started taking damage and thought I was surely dead but miraculously a teammate was paying attention and killed him before he got the return.

If you lower the bar enough, almost everyone is good.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Another great final on de_nuke!

not that c9 would have had a chance on any other map.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013
I was hoping at least the finals would be amazing to somewhat make up for the rest of this catastrophically bad tournament. Oh well.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

rip, all the good teams were at the ASUS tournament.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Bricklord posted:

Got two random wall bangs on Nuke in a single comp. match with an awp. First one was a headshot with the guy crouching in the corner of mini with me on T side, and the second was him on the railing in heaven at A. Funniest poo poo ever when it happens, especially with them getting really pissed off.

Random wallbangs and onetaps through smoke slay me for the rest of the round. I just can't stop laughing. They're one of the primary reasons I play the game.

Today I felt like I was finally getting the hang of the game again after being gone for, what, 6 months? Battlefield 4 ruined me. That Cache game though :allears: our CT side was amazazing.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Controller-only goonman, anyone?

http://youtu.be/DtI-A3MlUBU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Put 5 mouse players on controllers vs 5 controller players on mice

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Smol posted:

Controller-only goonman, anyone?

http://youtu.be/DtI-A3MlUBU

Sure, i'd be in. Already have a ps3 controller working and everything.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Photex posted:

clutchcon just finished the 1st place prize was only 8k? After all that bullshit i'm sure that was totally worth it.

And at least one team got paid in cash:

https://twitter.com/LiquidDaps/status/562105995963281409

I wonder if fnatic have to carry eight thousand dollars cash overseas.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

And at least one team got paid in cash:

https://twitter.com/LiquidDaps/status/562105995963281409

Is that really a poo poo load of one dollar bills?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Zimbabwe dollars.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i want to get paid 1000 x $1 bills

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
So what % of "smurfs" are probably hackers on new accounts?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What the gently caress is a 'smurf' anyway? I keep getting called that in pub matches and I've never heard that term in any other game.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Derogatory term, sometimes "smurfer", for people who are doing well, as by doing so you're ruining the other players fun and are thus making them blue.

Very tenuous link, I know.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

kcer posted:

Derogatory term, sometimes "smurfer", for people who are doing well, as by doing so you're ruining the other players fun and are thus making them blue.

Very tenuous link, I know.

This definition of smurfing comes from 1996 and the game Warcraft II when certain well-known players made up new names, pretend to play badly, then beat the other players. They picked the names PapaSmurf and Smurfette.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
A smurf is a guy that thinks he's fly and is also known as a buster. Always trash talkin' about what he wants and just camps on his broke rear end. I don't want no smurf, a smurf is a guy that can't get headshots on me. Hanging out the flanking side of his best friend's try, trying to shoot at me. But a smurf is spottin' me, but his game is kinda weak and I know that he cannot approach me. 'Cause I'm lookin' like class and he's lookin' like trash, can't get shot by a dead-beat rear end.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

This definition of smurfing comes from 1996 and the game Warcraft II when certain well-known players made up new names, pretend to play badly, then beat the other players. They picked the names PapaSmurf and Smurfette.

lol I was talking poo poo but I looked yours up and it's apparently true??????

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

How could you believe "making the other team blue" was in any way believable lol

I remember starting out in wc3 and most people smurfed to try new stuff without wrecking their main account's rank. They'd even announce it at the beginning of the game ("smurf, sry") and then stomp me in 10 minutes.

Consequently, I never really got into wc3.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

kcer posted:

lol I was talking poo poo but I looked yours up and it's apparently true??????

My recollection is that the actual 'smurf' term comes from Tribes(2?). The way accounts in the game worked was that you had your login name, but could create aliases to play under rather than having to make different accounts. If you used your actual account name, it would show up in gold, but if you used an alias it would show up in blue.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

That's only 1,600 per player which is not a lot of cash at all to carry on you and wouldn't even be questioned by TSA/customs/whatever

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Unless it is also in 1 dollar bills, which I know I'd love to keep track of while traveling internationally.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cuntpunch posted:

My recollection is that the actual 'smurf' term comes from Tribes(2?). The way accounts in the game worked was that you had your login name, but could create aliases to play under rather than having to make different accounts. If you used your actual account name, it would show up in gold, but if you used an alias it would show up in blue.

I feel pretty good about the Warcraft 2 thing because I remember the term from Starcraft. Tribes 2 wasn't out.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Do the top teams get their travel and room paid by the group throwing the tournament or are they down the homeless shelter every night trying to save their money?

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I think their sponsor organizations pay for them to attend, at least for the big teams. I can't imagine a euro team paying out of pocket to fly 6 people to the states for the chance to win 8k, plane tickets alone must be close to that.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Teams (= their sponsors) pay for the trips in exchange for exposure. Prize money doesn't matter directly, as teams typically take a very small cut of it, if at all.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

henne posted:

I think their sponsor organizations pay for them to attend, at least for the big teams. I can't imagine a euro team paying out of pocket to fly 6 people to the states for the chance to win 8k, plane tickets alone must be close to that.

fnatic and Kabum were already in the US for MLG Aspen so they just stayed an extra week but yeah the economics would never work if the players had to pay their own way, the prize pools just aren't big enough. Most of the better team sponsors cover travel for their players. Sometimes the tournament organizers throw in some compensation for travel as well that's separate from the prize pool.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

henne posted:

Do you not mind the loss of visibility down tunnel? I guess it makes it so you can't get shot from people still in upper dark but it makes it easier for them to get to the tunnel mouth. I don't have consistent enough reactions to really hold an angle and prefer to counter-peek instead and I guess I like plat more because it's less timing dependent on catching them before they are into site.

Do you flash tunnels then smoke or just straight smoke? I've heard the flash can delay a rush if you get a bad b spawn which can mean they are at the mouth as you enter site if they get a good spawn? IDK I'm still learning to play mid/b as I learned to play in goonmans and have always played whichever site has the most people because I couldn't get frags on my own but as I'm getting better I want to branch out more. Same with learning to awp, I'm used to playing with goons where someone is a regular awper so I've always rifled.

late reply, but this is the spot i'm talking about

the tunnel should be smoked, and once the smoke is gone, you can incendiary it. that will buy you 35sc at least, unless they push.

the good thing about that spot is nobody will be looking at you when they come into your view. if your xhair is on the left of big box, you'll see them as they are checking car and cubby. if you see them on the right side of big box, they may be looking in your direction, but more likely they'll be checking corner/fence. this potentially gives you 2 free kills if you're fast with the dink/spraydown, and use the silenced m4, since people won't be checking that spot 90% of the time, until they see you use it a bunch.

generally, i'll enter site, smoke tunnels, then sit in my spot, flush against the wall, about as far back as you can go without the elevation of the ground changing. it lets me spray a couple guys down, then popflash off the back stack and crouch in site to reload etc.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Ty, my B play usually revolves around tunnel and preventing them from getting into site so this is cool. Always nice to actually talk about how to play cs as well.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
yeah another cool spot to play B from if you're having a good game and know you can take one pusher/peeker out FAST, is to play on top of the first level of the double stack. so you jump at it from the boxes under window, and land on the first stack so only your head is exposed over the top of the second stack. you can start out here, then move to the spot i was just explaining. its a really cool spot to AWP from too, if thats your thing.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
The spot Churchill hilighted is good. Just play along that wall and keep their attention(and stay alive) while your mid guy gets into position and starts awping the dudes who are shooting at you.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Yeah, the times I would play B took place along that area, but if I had a really good spawn I'd sneak over to the double stack boxes next to tunnel and get on top of it. It's guaranteed to get at least one or two guys if you're quick enough

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Turk February posted:

Yeah, the times I would play B took place along that area, but if I had a really good spawn I'd sneak over to the double stack boxes next to tunnel and get on top of it. It's guaranteed to get at least one or two guys if you're quick enough

this is an excellent all or nothing spot. the only downside is unless you get a really good flash off you're limited to how many you can kill in once clip/before they know you're there, as there really isn't a safe spot to move to after you drop down.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Smurfing is an old as gently caress term and I first remember hearing it from people who played warcraft2 on kali. :corsair:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If I'm the only one defending B I like to sit in window just inside the site so I can't be picked from mid (if I'm the only one in B though another CT is probably already in mid). This allows me to rotate faster/catch people catwalk if it's called and also allow better odds for a retake if I bail after missing some shots on 3+ T's rushing B.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I flash first in case the rush comes and then I smoke it. Getting one guy as he exists the smoke is probably doable if I smoke first but if two or more exit it at the same I find I'm probably hosed and I have more of a chance on the flash because at my level a lot of people aren't running backwards. Then I'm also probably too close to the entrance at the start because I'm hoping for the spray down and I only retreat to the wall later if they rethink it and try to peek. That spot in the picture is real good but if I have a pistol I try to make it to the fence because I can almost always get one guy and severely injure a second which is as much as I expect to get from an eco.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best B play is to ignore it. It's lost. Just hold long with 4 people.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
actually lately on CT pistol on D2, i've been calling for the setup Mythic uses after watching them @ clutchcon or XGames or whatever tournament it was. they have one b, one mid, then 3 on cat, one at brick, one close cat, and one behind the boxes @ the corner of catwalk, so that they can't be seen from long. fast rotates, easy crossfire.

so far its had 100% success, but i've only had a chance to call it 3 or 4 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Bonus tip: if you stand at either of the two lines and jump on to the wall you're instantly at full accuracy because its exact height of a jump. Probably best to practice with a dynamic crosshair if you usually use static.

• Locked thread