Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Microsoft <3 Linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
potential new p-lang job is windows based
whats the nicest way to run a well-performing linux vm on windows these days

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would you need a Linux vm?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ahmeni posted:

:stonk:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

embrace the dark side

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

so all their I/O is sandboxed to some per-app space? I didn't realize they'd gone that far

oh, yeah, they've gone full cell phone

its actually more flexible than iOS and more secure than Android -- apps can invoke a file picker that lets the user select a file to open, its an OS component running at a different privilege level that passes the chosen file to the application when the user taps OK or whatever

they can also request unrestricted read-only access to your photo library or your music library and some other stuff like that

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

i know i know
but its python and devops and permanent salary equivolent to my current contractor rates and the culture and people are loving amazing
i am willing to tolerate some dumb things to learn

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

why would you need a Linux vm?

to do real work, mr shaggars

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

really surprising that this new windows app model doesn't have existing software developers rushing to sign up. I guess that explains why office and such aren't in there, at least.

ahmeni posted:

i know i know
but its python and devops and permanent salary equivolent to my current contractor rates and the culture and people are loving amazing

sounds like the right priorities to me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
linux really is a lot of work isn't it, but you should really get them off w/e plang and onto c# or java.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahmeni posted:

i know i know

gross. that sucks you'd have to use python but atleast you get to use windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

really surprising that this new windows app model doesn't have existing software developers rushing to sign up. I guess that explains why office and such aren't in there, at least.

sounds like the right priorities to me.

people don't want to put stuff on the app store cause metro is stupid. theres no reason you couldn't distribute something like utorrent or w/e via that app security model tho.

also office is a gross mess that gets an exception

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

oh, yeah, Office will never run as an app, the security model is inherently incompatible with OLE

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger !!! :iamafag:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shaggar posted:

people don't want to put stuff on the app store cause metro is stupid. theres no reason you couldn't distribute something like utorrent or w/e via that app security model tho.

shaggar was right

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

what about photoshop or a music player or a text editor? or lol something like visual studio (you get xcode through the Mac App Store, at least). brokered file-open dialog for every song you want to import?

windows' whole user data model is built around side-loading and please-help-yourself-to-the-filesystem, I wish them the best of luck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all of that would work fine thru that app model except for visual studio b/c there are some workflows that would require it to run outside the sandbox.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

what about photoshop or a music player or a text editor? or lol something like visual studio (you get xcode through the Mac App Store, at least). brokered file-open dialog for every song you want to import?

windows' whole user data model is built around side-loading and please-help-yourself-to-the-filesystem, I wish them the best of luck

pseudorandom name posted:

oh, yeah, they've gone full cell phone

its actually more flexible than iOS and more secure than Android -- apps can invoke a file picker that lets the user select a file to open, its an OS component running at a different privilege level that passes the chosen file to the application when the user taps OK or whatever

they can also request unrestricted read-only access to your photo library or your music library and some other stuff like that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and yet no one uses it. crazy

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

BobHoward posted:

i'm pretty sure you're not actually this dense

oh i dunno

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

embrace the dark side

lol gross

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
everything in newjob is C++ for the trading stuff and python for the everything else, its a nice mix
if MS hadnt hosed up C# evangalism to other platforms so badly then C# would make a nice scripting language for server config management but instead they get powershell lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

everything in newjob is C++ for the trading stuff and python for the everything else, its a nice mix
if MS hadnt hosed up C# evangalism to other platforms so badly then C# would make a nice scripting language for server config management but instead they get powershell lmao

they're taking baby steps with Desired State Configuration (DSC)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn249912.aspx

unfortunately dsc is powershell-native, and emitting/consuming dsc resources from c# really sucks
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2014/05/29/wish-i-can-author-dsc-resource-in-c.aspx

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ahmeni posted:

lol, what rubes

insist on them annually providing you with the latest top-tier MacBook Pro with Retina Display and iMac with Retina Display, on which you will run the latest OS X, as part of your negotiations

tell them that this is what their VC-funded startup competition is providing rockstar p-langers and they need to step up if they want to compete

this is actually true, btw, especially if (when) you will be supporting mobile, you will not be doing mobile dev on anything but Macs because you'll target iOS first

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

this has been part of OS X since sandboxing was introduced

iOS doesn't expose the filesystem to the user, but it has something of an equivalent now in the document provider mechanism that works with iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, etc. and when you select a document to open in an app using that interface, the app gets a right to just that document (file or bundle), not all files

quote:

this is something you can do in iOS and OS X too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

you get xcode through the Mac App Store, at least

while it's not sandboxed, as of Xcode 4.3 a few years ago it's also a single self-contained Xcode.app bundle, and you can have multiple of them installed, move them around, rename them, whatever. (you're welcome)

does visual studio even run 64-bit on 64-bit hardware yet? (Xcode has been 64-bit for nearly a decade at this point)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
used a chromebook today and the right click dialogue doesnt have anything normal in it, and, theres no files. also, its really confusing and hosed up. its not like any other linux ive used. !! WTF

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

can u work offline much yet

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

theadder posted:

can u work offline much yet

yes long fixed. LONG ago. works fine offline and syncs right up when you get online. works GREAT. extremnely need suiting for 99.99999% o th population

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this almost sounds like an ironic post

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its not. chromebooks suit the needs of the vast majority of computer users. YOSPOSters need not apply

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
smythe was right

pram
Jun 10, 2001
chromeos makes a good terminal, but the hardware is uniformly poo poo. except for the pixel which is 1300 us dollars .. for a chomebook *lol that echoes throughout eternity*

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Chromebooks are good for yosposters that use linux.

I mean, after that initial year when you don't have to install patches to the kernel source to get your touchpad to work.

pram posted:

chromeos makes a good terminal, but the hardware is uniformly poo poo. except for the pixel which is 1300 us dollars .. for a chomebook *lol that echoes throughout eternity*

Pls don't judge us poors.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Chromebooks are gr8888 for grandmas

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

code:
#  Allow incoming YOSPOS connections 
-A INPUT -s yos.pos.rip -j ACCEPT

# Allow metrics to be provided YOSPOS
-A OUTPUT -d yos.pos.rip -j ACCEPT
having dumb time if this will work in ip6tables as-is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kalstrams posted:

code:
#  Allow incoming YOSPOS connections 
-A INPUT -s yos.pos.rip -j ACCEPT

# Allow metrics to be provided YOSPOS
-A OUTPUT -d yos.pos.rip -j ACCEPT
having dumb time if this will work in ip6tables as-is

lol at ipv6

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

it's not even a good linux laptop, because lol 4G of RAM

pram
Jun 10, 2001
well it has a browser and a terminal. what else would you do on a linux on the laptop...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Progressive JPEG posted:

Chromebooks are gr8888 for grandmas