Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Cyron posted:

oh like how people hear called me sexist for just insulting one person, just like how i am pro gamergate for pointing out Minor poo poo anti gamergate doeven though i said it minor compare to gamergate Shanangins?

And i would of left if i wasn't being brought up all the time.

No, you're a sexist because the first irrelevant ad hominem you went to in order to insult someone was "you did the slut things with your dirty vay vay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Pirate Jenny posted:

No, you're a sexist because the first irrelevant ad hominem you went to in order to insult someone was "you did the slut things with your dirty vay vay."

that wasn't what i was talking about. I was talking about the timing of the breakup. I care little about who sleep with who. Yes it was a shity attack that i did. I hosed up and said something sexist and horrible.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 1, 2015

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Pirate Jenny posted:

Are the two American messengers of God dead yet?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 1, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

TheMaestroso posted:

Listening to the first episode of WEE, and both hosts have declared that they enjoy Ke$ha... :negative:

Yeah as others have said Ke$ha rules. Come on is a super fun song. She knows she makes stupid as hell party music but she has a loving blast doing it and I respect that. She's also apparantly incredibly smart.

Huffington Post posted:

Yes, that Ke$ha. A 2010 cover story in Seventeen magazine claimed she was a near-genius with an IQ of 140 and Ke$ha told NPR that she scored a near-perfect 1500 on her SATs, back when the high score was 1600.
Entertainment Weekly and Esquire both reported that she was offered a scholarship to prestigious Columbia-affiliated Barnard College to study psychology. Instead, she dropped out of high-school at 17 to be a pop star, later.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/08/28/smart-musicians_n_3745731.html

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Todd's year-end list was cool, and this is actually the most it's ever overlapped with mine. (8/10 same entries, slightly different spots. Was genuinely surprised to see Birthday and Ain't it Fun on there, but in hindsight I shouldn't be because WHAT ELSE WAS THERE THIS YEAR.) The similarity between lists is not a good thing, though. Usually there's enough good stuff in the year that it's more like 4 or 5 out of 10, because there's enough good stuff to split across our fairly different tastes as pop nerds. This year there was so little that was really listenable at all that it's pretty much all the same stuff. :negative: At least it was a nice year for movies. :downs: But a bad year for animated movies. :saddowns: 2014 is best left in the past as far as internet and pop culture goes, truth be told.

Also fourth-ing or fifth-ing that Ke$ha is awesome.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jay O posted:

Todd's year-end list was cool, and this is actually the most it's ever overlapped with mine. (8/10 same entries, slightly different spots. Was genuinely surprised to see Birthday and Ain't it Fun on there, but in hindsight I shouldn't be because WHAT ELSE WAS THERE THIS YEAR.) The similarity between lists is not a good thing, though. Usually there's enough good stuff in the year that it's more like 4 or 5 out of 10, because there's enough good stuff to split across our fairly different tastes as pop nerds. This year there was so little that was really listenable at all that it's pretty much all the same stuff. :negative: At least it was a nice year for movies. :downs: But a bad year for animated movies. :saddowns: 2014 is best left in the past as far as internet and pop culture goes, truth be told.

Also fourth-ing or fifth-ing that Ke$ha is awesome.

I'll honestly say that Birthday is easily Katy Perry's absolute best song. The lyrics are dumb as all hell but, again, it's such an absolutely FUN song. I really wish she'd stick with that stuff and stop with ~inspirational~ songs or whatever the hell Dark Horse was.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'll honestly say that Birthday is easily Katy Perry's absolute best song. The lyrics are dumb as all hell but, again, it's such an absolutely FUN song. I really wish she'd stick with that stuff and stop with ~inspirational~ songs or whatever the hell Dark Horse was.

Oh yeah, I realized that due to my poor phrasing it probably looked like those were the two songs I disagreed with. They weren't. They were two songs I didn't think Todd would have on his list, but were on mine. I wouldn't call Birthday her best song, but it's definitely the only good one on that entire album. Legendary Lovers is kind of okay for a couple plays, but then wears out its welcome real fast. The chorus is overproduced and thudding, like someone slapping you on the back with a dead fish. So, Birthday it is.

The two songs I wouldn't have on mine are actually Happy and Sing. Both perfectly good songs, they just don't do anything for me personally.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

The biggest issue I have with Todd's list is that Come with me now isn't even mentioned. Easily my favorite rock song this year.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Love Runs Out would be my pick for rock song of 2014, but Todd's never been a fan of One Republic so I wasn't expecting it on the list.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Rebochan posted:

ohgodwhydidireadthat

I'd be all about that, just listening to it has gotten me interested in the classic Simpsons again. It's kind of weird realizing what a big deal it was when I was a kid and that it's still chugging forward even though it's downright terrible.

As someone who went into WEE having stopped watching regularly around Season 14 but already aware of some of the more notorious episodes, I think the biggest surprise for me so far was finding out they did an episode about Grampa marrying Selma only 5 years after making fun of that exact scenario with that exact set of characters (+ Patty) at the end of Gump Roast.

On that note, add me to the list of people who'd like to see WEE get it's own thread. Tore through a little over half the episodes over the past few days and am loving it so far.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Wasn't expecting to see Chandelier that high up there. Not that I mind, I love dance songs with big powerful voices carrying them. I've listened to more Black Box than I'd care to admit.

Jay O posted:

The two songs I wouldn't have on mine are actually Happy
I'm surprised he didn't mention the Weird Al parody.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I didn't think that the Tik Tok opening was as bad as people thought, but that's because I was under the impression that it had Lisa dressed as Ke$ha until I watched it, which would have been inexcusable.

EDIT: I really have no experience making elaborate OPs so I'll let someone else start the WEE thread.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 1, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nthing about Ke$ha she is great and I love her dumb party songs because at least they're genuinely energetic and fun.

Glad to see Rather Be on Todd's list because it is also a fun dance song and it's a better feel good song than most of the ones that were made in the past year.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 2, 2015

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
In terms of the band, "Dust Clears" is their "flawless" song to me, but Rather Be was one of the few songs I can actually remember and like from last year.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Re: Todd's list. You know how I said before that I didn't like 'Birthday'? Yeah, well, I've kind of warmed up to it a little. It's not going to be one of my fave KP songs or anything, but it's mostly OK. (Apart from that bridge. Yeesh). It might have done better commercially if they hadn't flubbed the video so badly. It's not all bad - the parts with KP hanging around with kids are cute - but the Jewface stuff is bewildering.
Also re: KP: What about 'Walking On Air'? I like that song an awful lot, and I think it could have made for a decent single. (Certainly better than 'This Is How We Do', video aside).

'Rather Be' is nice enough (it's certainly one of the better songs I've heard on aeroplanes), but it kind of feels a tad corporate, if you know what I mean? It's the sort of thing I can imagine an ad agency creating. That said, I like it well enough.

I'm a little bit annoyed that 'Pompeii' and 'Team' didn't get mentioned anywhere. I thought he liked the first song, and I *really* like 'Team'.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Speaking of Kesha, it's not widely known but she released a single a few months ago produced by spooky reuben, It's so far the most recent indication we have of what's she's capable of without Dr. Luke's Intervention:-

https://soundcloud.com/schpilkas/kesha-lover

I really like it a lot. She's Legit an interesting pop musician.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I liked that Kesha collab with The Flaming Lips, and I'm kinda bummed that it seems like their collaboration album is probably not going to happen.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Al-Saqr posted:

Speaking of Kesha, it's not widely known but she released a single a few months ago produced by spooky reuben, It's so far the most recent indication we have of what's she's capable of without Dr. Luke's Intervention:-

https://soundcloud.com/schpilkas/kesha-lover

I really like it a lot. She's Legit an interesting pop musician.

Well, this is definitely a better fit for her than any of the stuff I've heard so far. It oozes style.

I should probably add that I've never gone out of my way to listen to her full albums or anything. I'm certainly no pop aficionado.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Something I forgot to mention, speaking of soundtrack pop, the song that played on the credits in the latest Hunger Games movie was fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU5ZX3FXRM4

It's produced by Stromae, who would have saved 2013 for me if I had known about him at the time.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah as others have said Ke$ha rules. Come on is a super fun song. She knows she makes stupid as hell party music but she has a loving blast doing it and I respect that. She's also apparantly incredibly smart.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/08/28/smart-musicians_n_3745731.html

Also, if you listen to the songs Kesha made before she hit it big, you'll see that she has a lot more range and vocal skills that she usually gets credit for. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zcyxjpkcW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMVxN0B4HnA

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
See also acoustic version of Die Young. She doesn't use autotune because she can't sing. It's a deliberate style choice. She has a very pretty voice. Not Idol or Broadway pipe-strong, but that does not a good pop star make anyway. Lots of personality and color, which is what matters imo.

Anyway, I've always liked Ke$ha. But starting with Warrior, I decided I really liked her, because unlike her previous albums, it wasn't riddled with bad songs, and the good ones were better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Once I saw an article on some music site arguing that Ke$ha is a "genuine" version of Katy Perry. Not sure if I agree (mainly because I'm still not entirely sure what they meant), but I can sort of see where they were coming from.

I think Ke$ha is a better singer than Katy Perry, in any case, but that's probably not an entirely fair judgment. I'm sure Perry can sing well but personally, I've never been able to get past her terrible, terrible live covers of "Don't Stop Me Now". Blegh. Look them up on YouTube if you don't know what I'm talking about.

It's too bad about "Die Young". Could've been a much bigger song if it hadn't come out when it did (i.e. immediately before Sandy Hook).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I hated Kesha for a while. Or rather, I refused to like her. Then one day I just decided I was being a stupid hipster, said "gently caress it", and decided I unironically like Kesha. I don't listen to much pop music, but I will absolutely defend her. She's put out some of my favorite pop songs. They're fun, and I agree with JO that the overprocessed, autotuned sound is a stylistic choice and one that works. She's also a huge songwriter in the industry, instead of just a performer.

She's incredibly talented. She may not be the best at any specific thing, but she's good enough at so many small things, and really knows how to bring it all together and make it just mesh. Die Young is fantastic and I don't care who knows I listen to it. I've never even been to a party or club and it's fantastic.

I think if Taylor Swift is the Queen of Pop right now, Kesha can at least be a kickass duchess.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Metal Loaf posted:

I think Ke$ha is a better singer than Katy Perry, in any case, but that's probably not an entirely fair judgment. I'm sure Perry can sing well but personally, I've never been able to get past her terrible, terrible live covers of "Don't Stop Me Now". Blegh. Look them up on YouTube if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Having listened to an obscene amount of Katy Perry both auto-tuned and non, I can say with absolute certainty that she cannot loving sing.

She can't sing so goddamn hard that it's sorta impossible to karaoke Firework on key. Try it. You have no idea what note to sing, because it doesn't even sound like Katy is hitting hers. "Baby you're a FIIiiiIIIIiiirrrrrreWORK!!!" Eeeeeek. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I see. I'm not an avid Katy Perry listener by any means. I wouldn't change channels if one of her songs came on the radio, but I don't go out of my way to buy her albums.

However, I can't imagine many people go to a Katy Perry show for the vocals. They go for the show. There's a lot of spectacle in them; I've not been to see her but they look like fun.

On that note, I think Alice Cooper has the right idea when he says Lady Gaga an Ke$ha and Katy Perry are all better rock stars than most contemporary rock artists.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Ke$ha also has one over on Perry in that I can't think of one really really BAD song by her. She's had duds, and Blah Blah Blah is the closest she comes to terrible (I still contend that most of the blame for that song lies with 3OH!3 who are horrifyingly bad in it) whereas Perry had a string of alright to awesome songs (This Friday Night is another awesome as hell song) but has hit horrible HORRIBLE lows.

I honestly think Roar is one of the worst pop songs in the past 5 years. It's almost a parody of Firework.

Edit: V Holy poo poo I never heard it and that was embarrassingly bad. Birthday's lyrics are bad, but they're fun and stupid enough that it doesn't matter and it's the charm of the song. That was just holy poo poo

Also: "Now we talking astrology, getting our nails did, all Japanese-y" :stare:

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 2, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
This is How We Do is almost as bad.

I'm not getting this trend of using rappers with extremely down-tuned background voices in pop songs. It just sounds terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

I honestly think Roar is one of the worst pop songs in the past 5 years. It's almost a parody of Firework.

The thing about "Roar" is it's just a dull song. Put a guitar on top of it and get a guy with a really beige voice to sing it, and it's basically a Nickelback tune.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Metal Loaf posted:

On that note, I think Alice Cooper has the right idea when he says Lady Gaga an Ke$ha and Katy Perry are all better rock stars than most contemporary rock artists.

Haha, he said that? I knew there was a reason I liked that guy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Haha, he said that? I knew there was a reason I liked that guy.

It's a couple of years old, but this was the first article I found. I know I've read similar comments from him in somewhat more detail (with a few more disparaging references to rock bands who dress like lumberjacks) elsewhere, as well.

In fact, I think I recall reading an article where Gene Simmons said basically the same thing.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 2, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've listened to Katy Perry live before, she can't sing. I love some of Katy's songs, but seriously she cannot deliver.

Here's a song of Ke$ha's I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhUEbovdM1E

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jay O posted:

But a bad year for animated movies. :saddowns: 2014 is best left in the past as far as internet and pop culture goes, truth be told.

Apart from The Lego Movie, which I loved, I can't even remember much about the animated films that came out last year. Was anything else actually worth watching?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I heard good things about How to Train Your Dragon 2 but I've not seen it. Really loved the first one, though.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apart from The Lego Movie, which I loved, I can't even remember much about the animated films that came out last year. Was anything else actually worth watching?

I saw pretty much all of them and NOPE. Big sad nope. The Lego Movie was good. That is literally the only one. (And "boo it didn't get nom'd for an Oscar," I guess, but even though it was the best animated movie to come out in 2014, I don't think I'd call it "Oscar-good." It's a pure family comedy start to finish that just so happens to be genuinely funny, but for Best Animated Feature, I tend to expect something more than "A good comedy despite its marketing-built premise, and due entirely to the presence of our Lord & Miller, saviors of stillborn movie premises.") We didn't get anything like that this year.

Jimbot posted:

I heard good things about How to Train Your Dragon 2 but I've not seen it. Really loved the first one, though.

It's a really pretty movie. They're pushing some of that CG technology to its limits in that film. But the script is joyless, overwritten fanfiction that takes itself way too seriously and is riddled with enormous story problems.

Anyway, run-down of the American-made toon movies this year, because I need to purge the feelings:

Big Hero 6: A good babysitter for your little boy who is not quite old enough for the Marvel movies, like 10 and under I guess, offers nothing else to older audiences or anyone expecting elements less paint-by-numbers than a Ben 10 or Teen Titans movie. It's not "bad," exactly, but even from bad Disney movies, I don't expect this level of marketing-fueled babysitter, kids movie for Small Children Only. Disappointing.

The Book of Life: Good premise mangled by painful and just plain weird execution. The aesthetic is nifty in theory, but in animation it's mostly cheap and ugly, and once again, too much of the movie seems to be playing to very small children, complete with "grouchy kids hear story about culture in a museum and become filled with the love of learning by the end" framing device. Mostly, it's really lame and embarrassing and skews too young for adults in its tone and humor but too complicated and weird for kids in its plot and aesthetic. Oh, and it's a jukebox musical for some godforsaken reason.

The Boxtrolls: How the gently caress did this movie get made? Unappealing to look at, horribly boring story, bizarre and uninvolving conflict, just bad-bad-bad from the first moment to the last. I liked Coraline. I liked the last third of Paranorman. I like that stop-motion movies can still get made with Laika pushing themselves to do it. But this was just a solid turd, easily one of the worst animated movies this year. Seemed like a movie designed to punish naughty British children. "Shut it Winston or we'll make you watch The Boxtrolls!"

How to Train Your Dragon 2: If I had to pick one of the nom'd movies to win the Oscar this year, I guess it would be this one, because it was the highest combination of quality and effort, but for the most part, this is a sequel that didn't need to exist, caked with unfunny jokes, ridiculous fanfic worldbuilding and contrived drama, horribly dark protracted twists that sour the memory of the original and the film doesn't earn them at all either...so aside from the pretty visuals, it's mostly unpleasant. All the problems are at the script level, so that's a step up from many other animated films this year, but the script has a TON of problems.

Legend of Oz: Dorothy's Return: Yes, I saw this. No, it is exactly as bad as that trailer looks.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman: I thought this movie was just going to be dull and shruggy. It's actually painfully bad, jam-packed with a ton of lazy cynical showbiz jokes, weird pointless casual sexism, and a meandering hole-riddled plot that both assumes children are stupid and also seems to hate their very existence. I think there was one funny joke in the marketing for the movie that gave me some slight hope about it (the Da Vinci builds a little boy gag) and it's not even funny in the movie itself...and they keep repeating it. Anyway, it's basically the definition of "horrible kids' movie" on the level of like a Shark Tale or Bee Movie. Baaaaad stuff.

The Nut Job: I don't think I have to say anything about this one.

Rio 2: Only saw part of this one, but the part I saw sure was a Blue Sky movie. Have they made anything not-bad since the first Ice Age? The answer is no. (This is assuming you can get past how ugly Ice Age looks, and make it through to "an okay movie." But "okay" is better than literally everything they made after that, so...)

I did not see Penguins of Madagascar or Planes: Fire and Rescue, but I'm gonna take a wild guess that they are "direct to video babysitters that somehow got pushed to theaters." Anyway. The best (American) animated movie I saw this year was also the only one I actually liked: The Lego Movie. That makes me kind of sad.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 2, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jay O posted:

Anyway, it's basically the definition of "horrible kids' movie" on the level of like a Shark Tale or Bee Movie.

Shark Tale is an underrated classic. :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Shark Tale is better once you realize it's that scene in Eastern Promises where a gay mobster has to have sex with a woman to prove he can take over the family, but with sharks.

Also horrifying CGI.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jay O posted:

I saw pretty much all of them and NOPE. Big sad nope. The Lego Movie was good. That is literally the only one. (And "boo it didn't get nom'd for an Oscar," I guess, but even though it was the best animated movie to come out in 2014, I don't think I'd call it "Oscar-good." It's a pure family comedy start to finish that just so happens to be genuinely funny, but for Best Animated Feature, I tend to expect something more than "A good comedy despite its marketing-built premise, and due entirely to the presence of our Lord & Miller, saviors of stillborn movie premises.") We didn't get anything like that this year.

It's a really pretty movie. They're pushing some of that CG technology to its limits in that film. But the script is joyless, overwritten fanfiction that takes itself way too seriously and is riddled with enormous story problems.

Anyway, run-down of the American-made toon movies this year, because I need to purge the feelings:

Just one question: What possessed you to see The Nut Job?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The best animnated movies of 2014 were by FAR the Lego movie and Princess Kaguya. (with when the wind blows closely following, but it didn't hit me as hard as Kaguya did.)

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Mr. Fowl posted:

Just one question: What possessed you to see The Nut Job?

Completionism. I saw most of these rental after the fact, not in theaters. Saw BH6, HTTYD, and Lego Movie in theaters, but not much else. Woof, what a weak year.

And yeah, if we expand it to non- American animated movies, The Wind Rises was a good note for Miyazaki to go out on. It's not one of his best, but it's a good movie, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a more firmly established THIS IS MY LAST FILM statement by an artist, choosing to end his career exactly how he wanted to end it. Haven't seen Kaguya yet. Missed it while it was in theaters, whoops. Not a fan of Takahata, though. Grave of the Fireflies is a masterpiece. After that, eeeeeeeeeeeeeh not a fan.

...Actually, my favorite animated film this year on a story level was Expelled from Paradise. It's a Japanese cel-shaded CG movie so it kinda looks like butt, but it looks less like butt than all the movies in that style that have preceded it. (It was advertised as them pushing that technology to its limit FWIW.) Ignoring the Japanese CG part though, the script was really strong, a nifty little unique sci fi movie with strong ideas and execution, like Edge of Tomorrow or Looper or the like, except instead of being HIGH STAKES and VIOLENT, it was sort of a WALL-E for adults. And it was written by Gen Urobuchi (Madoka) and directed by Seiji Mizushima (Fullmetal Alchemist), so yeah. Little film but a good film.

Anyway, I don't tend to count non-American animated movies when I talk about best animated films both because they're a horse of a different color and uh, if it's not Ghibli, nobody wants to talk about them. :haw: (There's like one European animated movie a year it seems like, and I always see it way too late and come away like "eh it was pretty and mellow." I am weeb trash for the most part. Best animated stuff on a script level still comes from Japan.)

Jay O fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Jay O, you should go see ...Princess Kaguya right now. I saw it last year and it is *ridiculously* good. If any movie wins the Best Animated Movie Oscar, I hope it's that one.

I haven't seen The Wind Rises, but I have seen all the other recent Studio Ghibli films, all of which I liked.

• Locked thread