Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Santheb posted:

So I was eating dinner last night and started watching From Russia with Love just for shits and giggles. I fell asleep a little while after eating, woke up 6 hours later, cut it on to resume watching and...poof.

God damnit Netflix :argh:

It's one of those ones that constantly on and off every other month. Just keep an eye out for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jackapol posted:

Well it looks like all of Spartacus was added. I guess Starz and Netflix must have reached an agreement., which is fantastic as it's such a fun show.

Spartacus is a ton of fun if you want blood, sex, and a lot of electric guitars. My only problem with it was the new lead just couldn't fill the shoes of the original, who died of cancer. :smith:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I don't know if it's come up yet in this thread, but The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is pretty weak despite how gorgeous and audacious it is. It's like if you were reading a novel and every time the author should have just used "He said," he tries to flash it up with "He howled," "He muttered," "He relinquished," etc.

It's as if every shot has to be some showy, splendorous marvel. And it trips all over the story as a result. Two people can't just be talking in a well-framed shot, it has to cut between them in split-frames until their faces merge.

I just watched that the other night and all I could think was that the entire movie was about vaginas

I laughed out loud at the final scene

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chichevache posted:

Spartacus is a ton of fun if you want blood, sex, and a lot of electric guitars. My only problem with it was the new lead just couldn't fill the shoes of the original, who died of cancer. :smith:

I think this was the problem with the early episodes of Vengeance but by the end of that season and throughout the final season he did an admirable job imo. I loving love Spartacus, it's one of my all time favorites.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Stevie Lee posted:

I just watched that the other night and all I could think was that the entire movie was about vaginas

I laughed out loud at the final scene

Stab me in my head vagina!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People aren't just being old fogeys or dumb when they talk about how MASH is basically the greatest show ever, definitely watch that poo poo. Seriously amazing stuff.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The last episode of MASH is a masterpiece. Seriously, if you only watch a few episodes of the show make sure to watch the last one. Although it helps to watch a few earlier ones so you know the characters and care for them.

edit: Oh blah they don't have all the episodes of MASH up.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chichevache posted:

There was only one problem ever with Spartacus, and it was when they had to leave the character of Batiatus behind. By Jupiter's cock what a great character.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think this was the problem with the early episodes of Vengeance but by the end of that season and throughout the final season he did an admirable job imo. I loving love Spartacus, it's one of my all time favorites.

It gets better? The first season (and the prequel) are some of my all time favorite television, but the after he died I just couldn't keep going. I'll give it another shot now, maybe I can get used to the new dude.

nate fisher posted:

There was only one problem ever with Spartacus, and it was when they had to leave the character of Batiatus behind. By Jupiter's cock what a great character.

He was absolutely fantastic. One of the greatest characters I've ever seen in a show.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

nate fisher posted:

John Hannah really stole that show. The other actors are usually ok, and some are even pretty decent, but John Hannah is a joy to watch. He just eats the scenery alive and the show is better for it.

In fact, all the villains in that show are fun to watch.

Also, don't be swayed by the first episode. That show starts very clumsily and does not really get going to a few episodes in. The episode that really turns it around is "The Thing in the Pit" (episodes 4) and the show only gets better from there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Crazy Ferret posted:

John Hannah really stole that show. The other actors are usually ok, and some are even pretty decent, but John Hannah is a joy to watch. He just eats the scenery alive and the show is better for it.

In fact, all the villains in that show are fun to watch.

Also, don't be swayed by the first episode. That show starts very clumsily and does not really get going to a few episodes in. The episode that really turns it around is "The Thing in the Pit" (episodes 4) and the show only gets better from there.

Asher was another fantastic character.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Aye Doc posted:

I finished a few more seasons of Cheers and I am going to reaffirm my endorsement of this show. every Coach line is a killer and no matter how detestable they try to make Diane, her relationship with Sam still rules to watch.

Despite Diane inexorably being turned up to 11 and becoming the ultimate egocentric, insane, enmeshed, toxic hypocrite person, the season 5 finale was extremely good. Diane being gone in season 6 is even better though :unsmigghh:

Coach is the greatest.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Chichevache posted:

It gets better? The first season (and the prequel) are some of my all time favorite television, but the after he died I just couldn't keep going. I'll give it another shot now, maybe I can get used to the new dude.

I think so. It just takes time to get used to Liam in the role. Also Gannicus comes back and Gannicus fuckin owns.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know everyone was bugged about peep show going off netflix, but I just noticed they put it back up.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That show makes me car sick

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Chichevache posted:

Asher was another fantastic character.

This is very true. Some actors just nail a particular curse word or phrase like Deadwood's "Cocksucker" or The Wire's "Sheeeeit", Ashur had his very own.

Also, I did not mind Liam McIntyre, the actor who replaced Andy Whitfield. I got used to him pretty quickly and thanks to stuff in the prequel series, the show had morphed into an ensemble of main characters instead of Andy Whitfield and his gang of gorgeous murderers.

Anyways, watch this show. Its a guilty pleasure at its core, but a well done one.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 1, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If people watch Game of Thrones and don't consider it a guilty pleasure, there's no reason to consider Spartacus one. It's just more pulpy. However, it had a rough start. Also, don't watch it chronologically - the second season is a prequel, but it spoils S1's finale in the first episode, plus it works better when you know the characters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
MASH is a great TV show and the only problem with it is later on when Alan Alda had some creative control and the show got realllllllllllllllllly preachy.

Cheers is perfect throughout. Coach is definitely better than Woody, but he's still a lovable oaf. I do give the writers credit for trying something different with Rebecca but Alley is just a plain bad actress. The show overall is amazing and nothing really dates it aside from maybe some usual 'this problem would not exist with a cell phone' type things. The jokes are great and every line in the show is razor sharp and perfectly crafted. It's the only 80's sitcom I can really go back and re-watch.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MASH and Cheers also represent somewhat rare instances of shows that transformed almost completely into different shows by virtue of cast changes, but were still just as good by the end. The Cheers episodes with Coach and Diane as so, so different from those later ones with the smaller cast, and the iconic cast of MASH with Harry Morgan, Mike Farrell, and Klinger as a featured player are so distant from where the show started--but the early shows are every bit as good as the later ones. Cheers is kind of slow to start with the first season, but they're both great shows that never really got stale.

MASH got increasingly maudlin, though, and I like the more cynical tone of the early episodes. I also like the movie more than the show, though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dias posted:

If people watch Game of Thrones and don't consider it a guilty pleasure, there's no reason to consider Spartacus one. It's just more pulpy. However, it had a rough start. Also, don't watch it chronologically - the second season is a prequel, but it spoils S1's finale in the first episode, plus it works better when you know the characters.

Yeah, the first two or three episodes of Spartacus are terrible. It is a long investment, but give it three or four episodes and the show really becomes great.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dias posted:

Also, don't watch it chronologically
Has there ever been anything, in any media, that has improved by watching it chronologically instead of the order it was released?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

david_a posted:

Has there ever been anything, in any media, that has improved by watching it chronologically instead of the order it was released?

There is one sitcom I think that everyone brings up how you should watch it in a different order than it aired every time it comes up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There seems to be certain people that are obsessed with the concept of watching things chronologically. One I see frequently is people asking for or giving a chronological Babylon 5 viewing guide. What? No. Watch it as aired. I remember someone wondering about watching a chronological cut of Lost. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

There is one sitcom I think that everyone brings up how you should watch it in a different order than it aired every time it comes up.

Is that because the network jacked up the order like Fox is fond of doing? (Firefly, Almost Human, etc)

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

This is Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, which Netflix has (had?) in a different order than the broadcast, which was also a different order from chronologically. There's viewing guides online but I think there's less Van Der Beek in earlier episodes, that's the main difference I can tell.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

red19fire posted:

This is Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23, which Netflix has (had?) in a different order than the broadcast, which was also a different order from chronologically. There's viewing guides online but I think there's less Van Der Beek in earlier episodes, that's the main difference I can tell.

I think the main thing in the chronological vs. broadcast was multi-episode relationship arcs that got jumbled around confusingly.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I have no idea what they were smoking with the broadcast order for Apt 23. Season 1 is truncated and a mix of the ones that didn't make it into broadcast season 1 are sprinkled throughout Season 2 episodes, that also aren't in any coherent order.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Asimov said you should read his Robot/Empire/Foundation books in chronological order, but Asimov was a huge loving nerd so

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Asimov said you should read his Robot/Empire/Foundation books in chronological order, but Asimov was a huge loving nerd so
The last one was a prequel that kinda spoils the rest of them, so that seems kinda dumb

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

nate fisher posted:

So is "By Jupiter's cock" something he says a lot? Or is it just one time at some point and you just have to wait for it?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Season 4 of Arrested Development?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The people trying to get you to watch Star Wars out of order are the loving worst. You can cram your fanedits too, changing the movie to something marginally better so you can fanboy about it all the more unrestrainedly.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 2, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Time Dissolver posted:

The people trying to get you to watch Star Wars out of order are the loving worst. You can cram your fanedits too, changing the movie to something marginally better so you can fanboy about it all the more unrestrainedly.

It's not even marginally better, the prequel changes make no sense and the "de specialized editions" gently caress with the color much more than whatever :spergin: about lightsabers exists.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lycus posted:

So is "By Jupiter's cock" something he says a lot? Or is it just one time at some point and you just have to wait for it?

Well there was a drinking game based on 'Jupiter's cock' if that tells you anything. Actually the word 'cock' is something that was used all the time on the show by everyone, but no one said 'Jupiter's cock' better than him.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
For fifteen years there were three Star Wars movies and for fifteen years even huge nerdlingers were happy as pigs in poo poo with that being the undisputed, inviolate core of the media empire but now there's eight more hours of pompous, soulless bullshit about as meaningful as a crossword puzzle and they act like the Star Wars experience is and always has been woefully incomplete without it.

gently caress. Production order, period, done.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Time Dissolver posted:

For fifteen years there were three Star Wars movies and for fifteen years even huge nerdlingers were happy as pigs in poo poo with that being the undisputed, inviolate core of the media empire but now there's eight more hours of pompous, soulless bullshit about as meaningful as a crossword puzzle and they act like the Star Wars experience is and always has been woefully incomplete without it.

gently caress. Production order, period, done.

Wait, are you implying nerds like the Star Wars Prequels?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No one likes the prequels.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wait, are you implying nerds like the Star Wars Prequels?

Very few any more will slobber over them like they did on release, but lots of fans think the prequels are an illuminating, necessary complement to the trilogy and vice versa, and that the real-world circumstances that resulted in each series of films are beneath consideration.

What happens is people who wish the prequels were better try to achieve it by dogmatically tying the prequels to the trilogy, like the quality will rub off. It usually comes up when someone says something like "My buddy has never seen anything Star Wars! We're gonna watch all six of 'em together!" Which is fine but then you get very Star Wars-knowledgeable people saying things like "Watch the prequels first!" or my favorite "Watch Episode I, then New Hope and Empire, then Episodes II and III, then Jedi!" So even an ideal guinea pig who's a tabula rasa on the subject of Star Wars is going to end up confused and unengaged getting yanked the wrong way across the vast gulf in aesthetics and cultural influence that exists between these two series of films.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There are absolutely Star Wars people who like the prequels. Deep in their hearts they might have a tingling sensation that they're not very good, but by gawd, they're part of The Canon and are therefore inherently elevated above non-Star Wars trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
None of the Star Wars films are good. Nobody who likes the first three films can criticise anyone for liking the last three, because all six are bad, just in different ways.

• Locked thread