Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

theacox posted:

I hate those rims, but can someone please talk me out of flying to SC and buying this? It really does look sharp as hell.

Steelies are cheap, those dumb wheels can go. There, did that help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

leica posted:

I wonder how long until these end up on Barrett Jackson, they are going to be the Hemi Cuda of that generation just because of old guys with money trying to live the Initial D fantasy. If these things keep going up in price it's inevitable, in twenty years an unmolested AE86 like that is going to go for stupid amounts of money.

Well, Hakosukas started their rapid inflation like 5 years ago or so. I'm guessing AE86s will do the same in about a decade.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

leica posted:

I wonder how long until these end up on Barrett Jackson, they are going to be the Hemi Cuda of that generation just because of old guys with money trying to live the Initial D fantasy. If these things keep going up in price it's inevitable, in twenty years an unmolested AE86 like that is going to go for stupid amounts of money.

This is why I'm looking for one now. I just don't want to/can't spend that much on a project. Holding out hope that this price is a fluke or precursor, rather than a new normal.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

leica posted:

I don't even know what initial d means, but anything with a race/rally pedigree like the ae86 has, always goes up in price when they start getting rare.
e: See 240z, 1600(510), and rx2 or rx3 from the 1970s which went up in price about 10 years ago. Now is about when the 1980s surviver cars start going up a lot.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 31, 2015

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Fo3 posted:

I don't even know what initial d means, but anything with a race/rally pedigree like the ae86 has, always goes up in price when they start getting rare.

Initial D is the original stupid drifting anime, all stupid drifting things that have happened since are its fault.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm glad I didn't know that.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
"Stupid" more like epic.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
No, anime is some gay poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fo3 posted:

I don't even know what initial d means,

Yeah it's a silly drifting anime.

I scoffed at it at first, then it came on Netflix so I had to watch it and I ended up liking it :3:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

shoopeach posted:

This actually seems like a decent price for an S54 swapped car.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4799574909.html

I'd say that's a really good price for everything included there.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Initial D is actually v good but that shouldn't stop you from mocking people who buy panda ae86's and decal them up like the tofu doriftu car of their dreams.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I used to watch Initial D as a 15-year-old just getting into cars, but looking back the animation is loving awful. They must have spent all their money on the eyesore CG software they used for all the race scenes.

I have no opinion on its merits beyond that, because I watched like two episodes of it since then.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

HEY VAPER posted:

Initial D is actually v good but that shouldn't stop you from mocking people who buy panda ae86's and decal them up like the tofu doriftu car of their dreams.

I've never watched the anime but the movie is really good, also it's a corolla so just go ahead and put as many stupid stickers on it as you want imo

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I used to watch Initial D as a 15-year-old just getting into cars, but looking back the animation is loving awful. They must have spent all their money on the eyesore CG software they used for all the race scenes.

I have no opinion on its merits beyond that, because I watched like two episodes of it since then.

adds to the charm

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Initial D is loving terrible.

I watched it all.

Anyway, this guy put the driveline from a GSX under an EG hatch... :stare:

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/4868384421.html

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 1, 2015

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

"Stupid" more like epic.

I'm a huge fag and I must point out the AE86 was popular long before the the manga/anime was even created. That being said it's pretty awesome, and I also like how it compresses 19 years into 2.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4864304455.html

Gold or mold?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm of the opinion that an AE86 would be marginally more valuable then a fox body mustang if it wasn't for anime nerds.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's my opinion they aren't worth much either, but unfortunately the market doesn't give a poo poo what we think :v:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

It's my opinion they aren't worth much either, but unfortunately the market doesn't give a poo poo what we think :v:

When you lived there were they popular?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You mean Japan? Yeah they were popular, but there were a poo poo ton more of them there, I'd say a good 80% of the RWD Corollas were AE86's and it's the complete opposite in the US. Same goes for all the FWD Toyotas in the late 80's and early 90's, almost all of them were either 4AGE or turbo model, no poverty spec poo poo over there it was super rare to see that, again complete opposite over here, FWD 4AGE cars were loving rare, and good luck finding one with a manual.

When I was there the FC RX7 Turbo was the most popular car by far.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

You mean Japan? Yeah they were popular, but there were a poo poo ton more of them there, I'd say a good 80% of the RWD Corollas were AE86's and it's the complete opposite in the US. Same goes for all the FWD Toyotas in the late 80's and early 90's, almost all of them were either 4AGE or turbo model, no poverty spec poo poo over there it was super rare to see that, again complete opposite over here, FWD 4AGE cars were loving rare, and good luck finding one with a manual.

When I was there the FC RX7 Turbo was the most popular car by far.

AE86 in particular but thanks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I was there the AE86 didn't have the huge cult following they do now, but back then they were still fairly newer cars and pretty common. The drifting scene was just starting and really street racing was much more popular at the time so it was the big HP turbo cars (RX7, GTR) dominating the scene. I went to tons of street racing events but never witnessed an actual organized drifting event, although I did see guys loving around up in the mountains which is a bit unnerving when you're on a motorcycle :v:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Dum de dum, checking out an AW11 on Craigslist:

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/4871494411.html

Sweet. no spoiler/bodykit so it looks cleaner and no T-tops, = less leak potential. Definitely the look I prefer. The water spot on the trunk carpet seems a bit fishy (although this is Oregon so it is plausible that there is truly no rust) and the front passenger quarterpanel appears to be a different shade...ad says it's almost due for a new clutch...I'm sure that's a bitch to get to...hrmm, 85 is also a bit early in the lifespan; I should do more research about year to year model changes.

*searches for year to year AW11 changes*

*finds random Jalopnik article*

*finds exact car from CL ad in Jalopnik article comments*

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/i-have-a-silver-85-hardtop-which-i-love-to-death-i-wou-1394904855

The Jalopnik poster said he wouldn't trade it for anything, but he must have changed his mind within a year or so - the CL car has new plates and it is highly unlikely that two silver hardtop AW11s exist in Oregon, so unless the plates were stolen there was an ownership transfer, and now the new owner is looking to unload it after a few months according to his ad.

I wonder what's going on. Hot Canadian Chick, you interested on going on a goon date with me to check this out?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Dum de dum, checking out an AW11 on Craigslist:

http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto/4871494411.html

Sweet. no spoiler/bodykit so it looks cleaner and no T-tops, = less leak potential. Definitely the look I prefer. The water spot on the trunk carpet seems a bit fishy (although this is Oregon so it is plausible that there is truly no rust) and the front passenger quarterpanel appears to be a different shade...ad says it's almost due for a new clutch...I'm sure that's a bitch to get to...hrmm, 85 is also a bit early in the lifespan; I should do more research about year to year model changes.

*searches for year to year AW11 changes*

*finds random Jalopnik article*

*finds exact car from CL ad in Jalopnik article comments*

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/i-have-a-silver-85-hardtop-which-i-love-to-death-i-wou-1394904855

The Jalopnik poster said he wouldn't trade it for anything, but he must have changed his mind within a year or so - the CL car has new plates and it is highly unlikely that two silver hardtop AW11s exist in Oregon, so unless the plates were stolen there was an ownership transfer, and now the new owner is looking to unload it after a few months according to his ad.

I wonder what's going on. Hot Canadian Chick, you interested on going on a goon date with me to check this out?

Sure, 85 is the best year - only year with a rear sway bar. And while you might prefer the spoilerless look, they do serve a purpose on AW11s - without them they get a bit twitchy at highway speeds (even with spoilers they still get blown around in the lane a bit going over gusty bridge spans or passing semis), so you may consider eventually putting a stock spoiler on if you get it; it'll depend on how much freeway speeds without it bother you.

E: and replacing the clutch kinda requires having a lift so you can drop the engine; if you're doing that, you'll want to do the timing belt/water pump/etc while it's out, and make sure whoever is doing it bleeds the coolant correctly when putting it all back together- the shop that did the clutch on mine hosed up bleeding it and it ended up killing the engine.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 1, 2015

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Huh, that's not far from me at all. I'd go check it out but I know jackshit about them. Let me know if you go check it out, I might tag along.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm of the opinion that an AE86 would be marginally more valuable then a fox body mustang if it wasn't for anime nerds.

They're actually pretty rare in North America. But you're half-right because I'm sure many ae86's were molested or wrecked by teenagers and manchildren with ~anime dreams~ and the anime certainly increases the desireability disproportionately to how cool the car actually is. At the end of the day it's a Japanese e30.

Edit: ^^^^ Do it. Well kept Oregon cars are the best. And the AW11 is definitely a car I would have a spoiler on for all of the reasons above, but with emphasis on 'it's a mid engine car, poo poo will go wrong if you lose control' and this is coming from someone who can't stand anything bigger than a lip spoiler cosmetically on most cars.

I bought my e30 in Eugene and the trunk was also a bit damp like that, but there was no rust. You have to go out of your way to make an Oregon car rust. If you're really worried about it, most buyers would probably be cool with you pulling the trunk lining if you have cash on hand and you don't come off as a wheel kicker. Don't know AW11's super well but the moisture may or may not mean you'll have to replace some carpet (less likely) foam (very likely) and occasionally vapor shields cosmetic panels etc, it just depends on how long/often it's been wet + what kind of materials AW11 trunks are made of.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 1, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Sure, 85 is the best year - only year with a rear sway bar. And while you might prefer the spoilerless look, they do serve a purpose on AW11s - without them they get a bit twitchy at highway speeds (even with spoilers they still get blown around in the lane a bit going over gusty bridge spans or passing semis), so you may consider eventually putting a stock spoiler on if you get it; it'll depend on how much freeway speeds without it bother you.

E: and replacing the clutch kinda requires having a lift so you can drop the engine; if you're doing that, you'll want to do the timing belt/water pump/etc while it's out, and make sure whoever is doing it bleeds the coolant correctly when putting it all back together- the shop that did the clutch on mine hosed up bleeding it and it ended up killing the engine.

Hrmm...I don't mind a little twitchiness, but don't know where I'd draw the line on that. I took the Miata out in the Gorge yesterday with 40 mph gusts - that wasn't fun.

Haven't heard back from the dude, probably because football, and now I'm out of town until Tues night - I'm going to ping him again and try to check it out with a freeway drive later this week.

HEY VAPER posted:

I bought my e30 in Eugene

Are you another Oregon AIer?

Edit: speaking of Oregon

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4873167207.html

blk fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 2, 2015

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Ville Valo posted:

Good paychecks means I'm looking at these dumb things again, especially the clean, unmolested variety, but good god that price tag:

That car is now down to $8000 on craigslist and it's still a few grand too much. Sure it's fairly original, but it still needs a whole lot of work to be asking that kind of money. The seats look to have been covered with the same material as an '82 Lincoln. Sure someone scribbled some basic maintenance logs which is kind of cool, but god drat. I got my 1985 GT-S hatch in similar condition and similar mileage (with a rougher body, admittedly) for less than half their asking price.

Link if anyone is curious: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4865049139.html

For better or worse, this is one of the reasons I'm not modding the everliving hell out of my car. I'm keeping all of the take offs and actively seeking out good condition original parts for it. Unless you're set on an AE86, there are loads of faster, newer, and more competent cars to be had for less money. I love mine, but there are limits to the madness.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Portland hasn't legalized weed so that seller must be a run-of-the-mill crack addict to think he can get $70k for that.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

Portland hasn't legalized weed so that seller must be a run-of-the-mill crack addict to think he can get $70k for that.

The hipster tax on Vanagons is insane.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh god the seats in that corolla are horrible, I was expecting the interior to be perfect at that price.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

leica posted:

Oh god the seats in that corolla are horrible, I was expecting the interior to be perfect at that price.
It looks like the upholstery shop used what they had lying around to recover those seats. The color match is way off and the material itself is just all wrong. I suppose it's better than the duct tape that the PO used to cover the tops of my back seats...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

Portland hasn't legalized weed

5 more months.

TheLarson posted:

It looks like the upholstery shop used what they had lying around to recover those seats. The color match is way off and the material itself is just all wrong. I suppose it's better than the duct tape that the PO used to cover the tops of my back seats...

Which is really sad as places like club4ag have documented where to order exact matches for the OEM upholstery on them. Even a modest amount of effort would have found the suppliers who sell the correct fabric.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

blk posted:

The hipster tax on Vanagons is insane.

70K is crazy but a Westy synchro in excellent condition will sell for 40k all day. The biggest mistake on that one was using the 2.5 rather than the 2.2.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what do people do with those Westies because after spending that much money on them you probably don't really want to go camping in it so what's the point?

And yeah why the hell would you put a 2.5 in one unless you love changing head gaskets.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

TheLarson posted:

That car is now down to $8000 on craigslist and it's still a few grand too much. Sure it's fairly original, but it still needs a whole lot of work to be asking that kind of money. The seats look to have been covered with the same material as an '82 Lincoln. Sure someone scribbled some basic maintenance logs which is kind of cool, but god drat. I got my 1985 GT-S hatch in similar condition and similar mileage (with a rougher body, admittedly) for less than half their asking price.

Link if anyone is curious: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4865049139.html

For better or worse, this is one of the reasons I'm not modding the everliving hell out of my car. I'm keeping all of the take offs and actively seeking out good condition original parts for it. Unless you're set on an AE86, there are loads of faster, newer, and more competent cars to be had for less money. I love mine, but there are limits to the madness.

I'm actually thinking about snatching up this one -

My heart's set on an AE86, regardless of speed or tofu-tax. Jumping the gun a little; I'm planning to pick one up this year, but I've got a raise/tax return/etc info coming in the next couple weeks. None of these have been so perfect I need to make the call right now.

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 2, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1986-saab-900-spg-new-price/1045919737?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Wow. Were it not for my lack of a garage and miserable luck with '80s vehicles I'd find this impossible to resist.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Ville Valo posted:

I'm actually thinking about snatching up this one -

My heart's set on an AE86, regardless of speed or tofu-tax. Jumping the gun a little; I'm planning to pick one up this year, but I've got a raise/tax return/etc info coming in the next couple weeks. None of these have been so perfect I need to make the call right now.
That car has been converted from an SR5 (carbureted + drum brake) to an alleged GT-S (fuel injection + disk brakes + lots more). Go read up on the differences between these cars and confirm that the conversion was complete. I can already see what looks like the original SR5 interior, if it matters to you. FWIW, it also appears to have a kouki JDM front bumper, which is a nice piece if it's real.

Feel free to PM myself or some of the other olde Corolla goons in this thread if we can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Anyone looking for a motorcycle?
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/mcy/4870601825.html