Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy
Most entrees at this restaurant are in the $25-$35 range.
The 'hut' reference is because the restaurant name is "little hut" in Italian.
Most nights the restaurant is fully booked, especially the weekend.

restaurant review from a totally not crazy person posted:

I just moved to San Francisco. Live in Cow Hollow. I know almost nothing about the area, and have been trying to check out local spots where the menu items make me happy. Last night (Saturday,January 31, 2015), I went into [your restaurant] because I was walking - exploring my new neighborhood -- and liked what I saw on the menu. The Front End Manager, maitre de, whomever he was, told me that I could not be served, because the restaurant was completely booked with reservations...even the barstools at the bar. All like 5 of them. When you say "hut" you apparently mean "hut", and that it's your's to let people in or not. Which is NOT which is consistent with the Italian cafe or restaurant theme.

It is actually unacceptable. I've spent a great deal of time in Italy, in many of it's lovely cities and countryside (I lived in a neighboring country for a number of years), so have more than a passing familiarity with the general restaurant scene in Italy. Even before I moved to San Francisco, I lived in western Pennsylvania from the time I was born, enjoying lovely native Italian restaurants without having to make a reservation for a bar stool more than a week in advance for a non-prime time dinner.

No city in Italy would tolerate such a situation. Nor would any city in the Northeastern United States, where Italians are loving and caring members of their communities. I will not tolerate it here, either.

Especially since I doubt your food is as advertised on the menu, and not tainted with mexican standard influences. A coworker, who claimed they were of 1st generation US descent from Italy, recommended [your restaurant]. I was skeptical, because I have visited the well acclaimed Italian restaurants in SF, only to be served a variation of salsa over pasta (with protein or without) on a plate or in a bowl. I've only been here for 4 weeks, yet I felt assured that this recommendation of good, authentic Italian cuisine would also fall apart.

Then I actually passed your restaurant and looked at the menu -- while I was on my way to somewhere else -- and I found that I liked it upon first read. Then your Manager, basically kicked me out of the place because he had let every square inch of the establishment be reserved. NOT acceptable...as I mentioned before. 1) this is a tourist town, and tourists won't know that manager had reserved every square inch of space and 2) how do you expect local residents to become familiar with the place? Haphazzardly stumble across it online and proactively "plan" to make a reservation when they've never tasted your food before and must just "HOPE" that it's good???

Idiotic.

I am inclined NOT to visit any of your regional businesses, for the remainder of my natural life -- and when asked, tell ANYONE that I was turned away at one of them before 6pm because the manager had already reserved all the square footage to others. I was one, single person. It's sad, really that I was refused basic accommodation.

Most ever sincerely,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MiTEG posted:

Yeah. Crazy person, and actually racist. The best way to tell a crazy person is when, as here, there is no way to meet the primary request, and they can't actually see it.

Was that the email, or something she actually posted on Yelp?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

MiTEG posted:

HAHAHAHAHA. Boy, they're going to hate it here if fully booked restaurants are "totally unacceptable" to them.

Why the gently caress do crazy people feel the need to tell you all about their European travels in yelp reviews? NO ONE GIVES A poo poo. YOU ARE DUMB AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW RESTAURANTS WORK.

also, lol "standard Mexican influence."

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

y'all reserve bar stools? That's just weird.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

JawKnee posted:

rats or rebranding?

Union hotel, so seniority.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Caught up on the last 100 posts or so. Man, never change, alright? I love you guys.

Turkeybone- do you need a trophy wife? Retail is getting boring and I'm dying for a super-dry Riesling.

Black August- One day, and I mean this with the sincerest good wishes, but one day I hope you wake up, look in the mirror and realize that all the corporate bullshit, all the times you were screwed over, all the bad luck you've had and every negative interaction you've ever had with customers, staff and management, it all has a common denominator. And that common denominator is you. Do what you want with that information (I imagine yelling at me for being a condescending bitch is going to be your starting point...) but know that your life won't get better until you stop doing what you're doing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rockzilla posted:

I've accumulated enough stuff that my knife roll can barely close. Does anyone have a recommendation for a roll that can comfortably hold 5-6 knives along with poo poo like peelers, melon ballers, zesters and so on?

The Chefknivestogo Branded Knife Guards are really good and cheap, they hold up better than the other big brand ones I have tried. There is also this 8 piece knife roll. It's pretty cheap at $20 and it looks like the mesh bag inside would hold peelers and such just fine, I have no personal experience with it though so ymmv. You would want to buy some guards with it too obviously.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Chefknivestogo Branded Knife Guards are really good and cheap, they hold up better than the other big brand ones I have tried. There is also this 8 piece knife roll. It's pretty cheap at $20 and it looks like the mesh bag inside would hold peelers and such just fine, I have no personal experience with it though so ymmv. You would want to buy some guards with it too obviously.

I used to have that knife roll. It lasted about a year. My kiritsuke poked a hole in it, and the guard on my steel wore another hole in it. The Velcro really didn't hold up, basically didn't work after about 6mos. I suggest getting something made of heavy duty canvas, and uses straps to close, rather than Velcro. Or, just use a backpack/messenger bag, and get some Lamson knife safes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A crazy person posted:

2) how do you expect local residents to become familiar with the place? Haphazzardly stumble across it online and proactively "plan" to make a reservation when they've never tasted your food before and must just "HOPE" that it's good???

Yes. That is how making a reservation works, whether you've been to a place or not.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

(I imagine yelling at me for being a condescending bitch is going to be your starting point...) but know that your life won't get better until you stop doing what you're doing.

I'm... Kinda shocked you think I'd say that. I'm not sure why you'd think I'd say that. I got nothing but like and respect for you all in this thread which is why I post here. I only share the negative stories because I thought this was the space to grouse about the pitfalls of restaurant life.

Look, if I come across as a loud rear end in a top hat, fine, I probably do, since I come here to be grumpy about the lows so I can safely scream in a virtual walk-in and maintain a professional demeanor at work. I've got nothing but praise from managers and plenty of great tables, I just don't waste time talking about it. Yeah, half my misery is my own fault, I know. It's why I sat down with management and talked it out and have more server hours now. I'm low on money, had a major life change getting away from a bad place, have to work a lot, and so I'm stressed and scared and barky. If I gave you offense, it wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions and help here. I understand this thread is more for cooks and such, so I'll take my leave. Luck everyone.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Black August posted:

I'm... Kinda shocked you think I'd say that. I'm not sure why you'd think I'd say that. I got nothing but like and respect for you all in this thread which is why I post here. I only share the negative stories because I thought this was the space to grouse about the pitfalls of restaurant life.

Look, if I come across as a loud rear end in a top hat, fine, I probably do, since I come here to be grumpy about the lows so I can safely scream in a virtual walk-in and maintain a professional demeanor at work. I've got nothing but praise from managers and plenty of great tables, I just don't waste time talking about it. Yeah, half my misery is my own fault, I know. It's why I sat down with management and talked it out and have more server hours now. I'm low on money, had a major life change getting away from a bad place, have to work a lot, and so I'm stressed and scared and barky. If I gave you offense, it wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions and help here. I understand this thread is more for cooks and such, so I'll take my leave. Luck everyone.
No, I think Wrought's just saying something that she wishes she'd understood earlier - for her own sake. It's not an attempt to shame you or anything.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Black August posted:

Whoah dude, I wasn't trying to scare you off or shame you at all. You absolutely belong in this thread. No Wave is right- I learned this lesson the hard way. Everyone here wants to see you succeed, including (especially) me.

I should have given you more credit- assuming you'd think I was a total bitch was unfair to you.

You have a lot of fight and persistence, which is great. I would love to see you be an advocate for yourself and find a situation that makes you happy.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
All of my misery is my fault, so if you're only at half-responsibility I generally think you're doing okay!

e: "we understand you have school, but if you want the 17 days straight it's there"
"Hmm...I don't wanna sound like I can't handle stuff...Better say yes"

Simoom fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 3, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Wroughtirony posted:

Turkeybone- do you need a trophy wife? Retail is getting boring and I'm dying for a super-dry Riesling.

Today at work I got in at 9, most people weren't in because of the weather, and our data server was messed up for 2 hours so I basically just sat around until 11. Then we had a meeting that lasted until 3, then we rolled out at 4. I literally have no idea what I did today, and I got paid for this day.

The closest I get to cooking in my current job is taking down the lunch orders (steak and eggs today, nice).

The trophy wife position has been available for awhile, but in the last six months I met a lovely woman (since you know, I had time to meet people) from kickball (again, joys of a normal schedule) and she loves my french onion soup. Though she still thinks it's weird that I use like 6 bowls to make breakfast in the morning (gotta sweat the veg separately first, duh)

e: so retail? tell me more since I haven't really thought about what you do lately, but Id like to

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I use a combination system: essential knives, steel and 1 peeler in a roll and goes into a backpack that goes with me to and from work, then a toolbox with more knives, backup knives, tongs, whisks, olive pitter etc that I keep in my office

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Well I finished my lunch menu and as soon as I get over this surgery I just had I'm going to move to open for lunch. I wanted a bit of advice on my menu from you guys to see what it can add or change to make it more well rounded.

We already have the dinner menu and from it we will bring across the fresh ground brisket burgers and e braised pork belly bahn mi and the smoked fried wings.

For lunch we are adding

Seared tilapia with hibiscus simple syrup, fried spinach and seared onions
Smoked crispy cornish game hen with seared green onions and smoked honey
Grilled chicken breast with hibiscus steeped quinoa, roasted red bell and a lemon thyme gastrique
Pulled pork belly on an herbed couscous cake, pickled onions, chèvre and aged balsamic vinegar

And aside from a soup and salad of the day that's going to be it.

I was tempted to do a few specialty mac and cheeses but I might wait. I was working on extra sharp cheddar and bacon and a lemon thyme Gouda mac and cheese. They tasted really good but I wanted to keep the lunch menu very small to start out with.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Pulled pork belly

CAN I GET THIS ON A BUN WITH BARBECUE SAUCE, A SIDE OF FRIES AND MAYBE SOME REAL FUCKIN' COLE SLAW?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Republicans posted:

CAN I GET THIS ON A BUN WITH BARBECUE SAUCE, A SIDE OF FRIES AND MAYBE SOME REAL FUCKIN' COLE SLAW?

Said by a man in a Patriots cap. :twisted:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

I guess yeah if you really want it.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

CommonShore posted:

Yeah. Crazy person, and actually racist. The best way to tell a crazy person is when, as here, there is no way to meet the primary request, and they can't actually see it.

Was that the email, or something she actually posted on Yelp?

This was an email, and she managed to track down email addresses for five other affiliated restaurants and cc'ed them all. Pretty impressive, that's not exactly something we advertise.

So much craziness in this industry, I need to start writing it down.

Today a waiter said he smelled perfume that reminded him of the springtime during his youth in Italy. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was the wind blowing fumes from the nail salon across the street.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

What's super crazy is she thinks a small restaurant is not something that exists in Italy. I also don't think that person knows how to take a vacation if you never look up or research the area you are visiting.

Good luck showing up to a restaurant worth going to at 6pm anywhere worth living on a Saturday night and getting a seat.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

e: so retail? tell me more since I haven't really thought about what you do lately, but Id like to

Target corp has inflicted me upon the cashiers, cart attendants, guest service team members and guests as a Guest Services Supervisor. Basically I'm the person they get when someone starts squawking "I WANT TO SEE A MANAGER!" Little do those poor people know who they are dealing with... They usually end up apologizing to me by the time I'm done with them. ;-)

I know I was kinda vague before, but I've gotten over being ashamed of it so... I'm working a 25 hour per week retail gig because I'm waiting for my social security disability to be approved. I'm applying for disability because I have PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I've had those conditions since childhood, but things took a huge turn for the worse in the fall of '13 and I haven't been able to work regularly since. For those of you following along at home, that coincides with the time I was GM at that circus of a 24 hour diner. I don't totally blame the job for my collapse, but let's just call it the dining car in my crazy train. I was the highest ranking employee who was NOT part of the multi-generational, apparently incestuous, occasionally criminal Greek family that ran the place. The most Bourdanian moment in my career was when I had to tell my chef, with a straight face, that I needed him to suit up in plastic, go to my basement office and go through the suitcase outside the door, pocketing any valuables and making them disappear. Then examine the contents for bedbugs, wrap it and dispose of it, but expressly NOT in our dumpster and preferably under cover of darkness.

What am I talking about I loved every stressful minute of that job. The only thing that bugged me was actually seriously illegal and probably not wise for me to even mention here. But it sucked and I spent a lot of time with both my official therapist and the regular customer who I probably should have been paying.

I'm in retail instead of food service because I need the stability and I need an employer who can work with me and respect the 25 hour boundary as absolute. If I earn ten dollars over the limit one week they will disqualify my whole application. Eventually, once I'm approved, I'll probably move into on-call work with hotels doing banquet bartending and maybe some cooking/omelet station stuff. But I'll need the stability of having the disability payment before I can start flitting around like a culinary gypsy.

And of course it all depends on where Mr. W gets sent by the Army. Sometime probably before summer we're getting sent god knows where. Because of my disability and the fact that the Army is run by multiple bags of dicks (mostly the latter,) if Mr. W gets sent overseas I will not be allowed to go with him. So I'll stay here. But this is not a bad time for that to happen since I like it here. It would be way worse to get sent to Ft. Bliss and then get stuck THERE while he goes to Italy or some poo poo. I'm honestly kind of hoping for him to get sent overseas now since the timing is so good and I have friends here.

ERRANT GIN MONKS:

I am no authority on menus, but here's the stuff I would change/don't like/etc.

I know you would not put a bad tasting dish on the menu and I obviously can't taste it from here, but the grilled chicken breast with hibiscus steeped quinoa, roasted red bell and lemon thyme gastrique just does not sound good. In my head, the hibiscus either clashes with the red bell or gets overpowered by the gastrique. Also, the grilled chicken breast comes off as being bare and separate. even "S&P seasoned chicken breast" works better for me. I'd say "Sel Gris dusted chicken breast with hibiscus steeped quinoa, roasted red bell and lemon thyme gastrique." Now that I look at it, this might be a good opportunity to sell your drat soul and put some Himalayan Pink poo poo on the dish- it would add to the exotic feel and I think it would really sell. Yeah, "pink" bridges the hibiscus too. DO IT.

You have a mix of menu styles here when it comes to describing your items. It's half "Shallots. Cream. Licorice. Hobo Sweat. Market." and half "Grilled shallots with a licorice cream sauce garnished with hobo sweat. $15" Pick one. Pick the RIGHT one.

"cake" sounds dry, makes you think of sweet things or urinals. I would prefer "Pulled pork belly over herbed couscous with pickled onions, chevre and aged balsamic vinegar."

"Smoked, crispy" sounds like "burnt" maybe "crispy smoked" instead?

I know, food cost. I know. But is there any way you could slide some salmon under that hibiscus simple syrup with the fried spinach? That dish is just begging me for a heartier fish. Or rainbow trout! Sorry, sorry, food cost.

This has gone on way way too long.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Why pull pork belly? Is it leftovers from something else? For me I'd want either belly, or pulled pork, but not pulled belly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Wrought : I know I want a better fish as well but you already said the reason why. Maybe in the future I can move it up the scale but with the place the way it is and traffic how it is I am limited.

Also I didn't list the descriptions here that are on the menu I just kind of listed what was in the dish. I figured I didn't have to flower it up for you guys, but poo poo I'm making you name all my menu stuff now. Get ready for PMs.

Turkey: yes it's the left over braised pork we don't turn into bahn mi the night before. We slice it and give it a quick fry to order and then whip it real quick with a fork in a small bowl. It actually turns out like a warm rillettes. It's really very good.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Then it makes total sense then, carry on.

What's your belly procedure? It's been awhile since I've done it, but I loved our pork belly -- brined, then seared/braised, then 4oz portions which we roasted like little lincoln logs

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wrought : I know I want a better fish as well but you already said the reason why. Maybe in the future I can move it up the scale but with the place the way it is and traffic how it is I am limited.

Also I didn't list the descriptions here that are on the menu I just kind of listed what was in the dish. I figured I didn't have to flower it up for you guys, but poo poo I'm making you name all my menu stuff now. Get ready for PMs.

Bring it. I'm a huge menu/word nerd and I could use a food-related project.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Turkeybone posted:

Then it makes total sense then, carry on.

What's your belly procedure? It's been awhile since I've done it, but I loved our pork belly -- brined, then seared/braised, then 4oz portions which we roasted like little lincoln logs

I brine it it, the rinse it and rub it, then braise it in guiness. Then take it out and wrap it tight in film wrap, weigh it down and press it out in the fridge, then slice it and portion it. Then we sear it to order for sandwiches.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Smoked crispy cornish game hen with seared green onions and smoked honey

Are you able to cook these to order? I don't know your place but game hens seem either like a really long chit time for a lunch item or if you're cooking while you smoke and then holding them, "place the way it is and traffic how it is I am limited" seems like you might end up with a lot of extra birds every day, and those little assholes are a time sink to pull down and use the meat for other stuff (or else you end up with a bunch of waste).

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've smoked quails then picked them up to order in a fryer, the parcooked smoked birds are good for 2-3 days

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Basically what pile of brown said. Smoke them until they are done then deep fry to order. They turn out delicious. I only serve a half of one per order so I can get by with just a few birds being smoked and they actually don't take long to smoke. 2 hours usually so I can lay them and the wings on the smoker at the beginning of prep and have them done for service. I have a Traeger smoker so it's like an easy bake oven. Set it, load the hopper with the correct flavor pellets and walk away. We do our bacon in applewood, our birds in pecan and our brisket and pastami with mesquite.

Because of my small turnover almost all the food is par cooked and then seared or fried to bring it back up to temp and texture. Makes ticket times very low. The only things we really do to order are chicken strips, burgers and fish.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

I've smoked quails then picked them up to order in a fryer, the parcooked smoked birds are good for 2-3 days

Nice. It's been so long since I've had one, I didn't even think about a fryer for that. I like it.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Naelyan posted:

Nice. It's been so long since I've had one, I didn't even think about a fryer for that. I like it.

We did the same thing with game hen in a kitchen I worked at about a year ago. Stuffed and par-poached, then fried/glazed/shortly baked to order.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
You can pan roast a deboned quail in about three minutes.

Also seared tilapia with hibiscus simple syrup, fried spinach and seared onions should be rewritten as tilapia with cream spinach and onion soubise. You can add a charred lemon and classic garlic crouton if you absolutely must fag it up, but it probably doesn't need to be written on the menu.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If it ever becomes easy for me to post pics from my phone I will, but picture a fried quail that looks like a crispy skin roasted duck in a chinese store window that's been smoked in pipe tobacco and hickory, served over a parsnip puree with wilted kale and a sweet brandy sauce thickened with pureed caramelized red onions. (EDIT I MEAN BRANDIED SOUBISE)

Also re: that menu I haven't read your whole menu and dont know how big it is but hibiscus seems like it's not ubiquitous enough to be on 2/4 dishes. I understand cross prep/utilization but dry hibiscus and even a hibiscus syrup should be shelf stable enough that you aren't losing much of it. To be constructive, if you swapped the hibiscus in that quinoa for some olive oil and toasted nuts or caramelized fennel or something I'd would make more sense as a dish to me anyway.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 4, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

infiniteguest posted:

You can pan roast a deboned quail in about three minutes.

Also seared tilapia with hibiscus simple syrup, fried spinach and seared onions should be rewritten as tilapia with cream spinach and onion soubise. You can add a charred lemon and classic garlic crouton if you absolutely must fag it up, but it probably doesn't need to be written on the menu.

But... That's not what it is at all. Its literally deep fried spinach, which makes an ethereal crispy wafer that dissolves in your mouth, it's not cream spinach at all. It's also not onion soubise, it's onions quickly seared like stir fry to maintain their crunch.

What out of my description makes you even think you are in the ballpark with what I should name it since that's a completely different dish?

What you described it is completely loving different than the dish I wrote down and "fagging it up" is offensive as gently caress and you should rethink the words you use. I also don't cook classic food in my restaurant so "classic garlic crouton" and charred lemon are out.

Did you read my post before writing down poo poo that has nothing to do with it?

pile of brown posted:

Also re: that menu I haven't read your whole menu and dont know how big it is but hibiscus seems like it's not ubiquitous enough to be on 2/4 dishes. I understand cross prep/utilization but dry hibiscus and even a hibiscus syrup should be shelf stable enough that you aren't losing much of it. To be constructive, if you swapped the hibiscus in that quinoa for some olive oil and toasted nuts or caramelized fennel or something I'd would make more sense as a dish to me anyway.

I had that thought with the hibiscus use, having it in two dishes seemed like it would be too much. But there was nothing I could find that gave it that floral slightly pomegranate-y note I needed to cut through the gastrique. It's not a pile of quinoa it's literally just a sprinkle of it on top of the chicken medallions. It adds a fantastic color and just a little bit of textural variation. The main reason I went with it over olive oil and nuts (which I tried) was that light essence of floral notes it brought.

It's not sweetened, unlike the syrup obviously, so the flavor profiles are completely different. I may play with it more but right now it hits the flavor notes I am looking for in that dish.

Most of my dishes have a smoke or floral component.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 4, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

1) Yes, those descriptors infiniteguest used dont seem accurate.
2) Do you really have to bite his loving head off?
3) When you say "seared onions that maintain their crunch" it makes me think "raw onions."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
oh geez, you mean it's a BAD thing when you make the decision to seriously use "fag it up" as a descriptor, like some 15 year old might do, I didn't get why a person would be all negative and then say 'do a good thing to it' haha

grow up

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Errant Gin Monks posted:

But... That's not what it is at all. Its literally deep fried spinach, which makes an ethereal crispy wafer that dissolves in your mouth, it's not cream spinach at all. It's also not onion soubise, it's onions quickly seared like stir fry to maintain their crunch.

What out of my description makes you even think you are in the ballpark with what I should name it since that's a completely different dish?

What you described it is completely loving different than the dish I wrote down and "fagging it up" is offensive as gently caress and you should rethink the words you use. I also don't cook classic food in my restaurant so "classic garlic crouton" and charred lemon are out.

Did you read my post before writing down poo poo that has nothing to do with it?

My point was your menu reads like a mad libs of random bullshit with no culinary foundation. An animal died so you could obliterate it with hibiscus syrup? That's offensive. You don't need to smoke and fry and hyphenate food to make it good. You use it fresh, cook it properly, and serve it with precise timing like every decent cook has done for all of time.

Granted I am an rear end in a top hat on the internet so don't put any weight into what I say but IMO that menu is amateurish and embarrassing.

infiniteguest fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 4, 2015

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Continued:

Like what's the point of putting a loving syrup on all four dishes? Do you actually hate the taste of food? Do you smoke fifty cigarettes a day and only the cloying charge of your homoerotically-inclined "lemon-thyme gastrique" can punch through the film of your deadened palate?

I mean gently caress dude you can't even take honey to the plate without smoking it. This is some Rachel Ray level of garbage posturing as cuisine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

infiniteguest posted:

Continued:

Like what's the point of putting a loving syrup on all four dishes? Do you actually hate the taste of food? Do you smoke fifty cigarettes a day and only the cloying charge of your homoerotically-inclined "lemon-thyme gastrique" can punch through the film of your deadened palate?

I mean gently caress dude you can't even take honey to the plate without smoking it. This is some Rachel Ray level of garbage posturing as cuisine.

Boy you sure think about putting dicks up asses a lot

• Locked thread