Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The TV IV > Penny Dreadful: "The League of Extraordinary Scenery Chewers"

So looking forward to the new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You guys I might be more excited for this than I am for the next Game of Thrones season, and that's quite something because I goddamn love me some Game of Thrones.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nordick posted:

You guys I might be more excited for this than I am for the next Game of Thrones season, and that's quite something because I goddamn love me some Game of Thrones.

If you read the books you'd be correct in not looking forward to the next few seasons of GoT. Though it's HBO so they'll probably fix a lot of the issues that existed in the next two books.

Penny Dreadful was a huge surprise for me last year, and I'm really looking forward to it returning as well. We still need to see the Creature from the Black Lagoon and maybe a banshee or something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I have read all the books, I don't have a problem with them.
I love the books, I love the show, I'm excited to see more of the show. :shrug: And I think we better leave this derail at that.

As for wishing for stuff on Penny Dreadful, I'd totally love some kind of proper Jekyll/Hyde character. Played by someone who could pull off being really cool and aristocratic as Jekyll and then gloriously ham it up as Hyde.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I want Hyde, Griffin, and Robur the Conqueror.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The TV IV > Penny Dreadful: "The League of Extraordinary Scenery Chewers"

So looking forward to the new season.

I like this! Alternatively, The League of Extraordinary Casting Decisions.

Can't wait for season two. This show ended up being way more than I hoped it could be.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
season 2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YdeSNcAWos

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, that was creepy.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh hey it's the aunt from Peaky Blinders, looking forward to her getting to be super creepy apparently. And of course the inevitable scenes with Eva Green freaking the gently caress out and going nuts :allears:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My body is ready.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So we've got Madame Kali as Erszebet Bathory and possibly Caliban doing a turn as the Phantom of the Opera?

I can't wait for the new season, but I wouldn't have minded seeing a bit of our favorite Egyptologist so we could be sure season 2 will be sufficiently flamboyant.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Kesper North posted:

Caliban doing a turn as the Phantom of the Opera?
I'm confused. That wasn't Caliban peaking around the corner of that gate, if that's the part you're referring to.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
When does the new season start?

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

savinhill posted:

When does the new season start?

April 26th.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
We better see Dorian's paint or I swear to God.. :argh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Irish Joe posted:

We better see Dorian's paint(-ing) or I swear to God.. :argh:

It's a self portrait.

Irish Joe posted:

We better see Dorian's taint or I swear to God.. :argh:
Just close your eyes and imagine. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Doesn't the painting age instead of him? It probably looks pretty loving gross.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

counterfeitsaint posted:

Doesn't the painting age instead of him? It probably looks pretty loving gross.

It reveals in physical form his actions. SO it grows more and more 'monstrous' or cruel looking as he does stuff, I don't think it actually ages, that I recall from high school.

It probably looks like a jacked Nosferatu or something.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Drifter posted:

It reveals in physical form his actions. SO it grows more and more 'monstrous' or cruel looking as he does stuff, I don't think it actually ages, that I recall from high school.

It probably looks like a jacked Nosferatu or something.

Usually with a visual medium like this they depict it as aging or both, or maybe part of becoming monstrous is appearing older. I suspect it will be a combination and also show scars or wounds since he heals up quickly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brightman posted:

Usually with a visual medium like this they depict it as aging or both, or maybe part of becoming monstrous is appearing older. I suspect it will be a combination and also show scars or wounds since he heals up quickly.

My goto for monstrous is basically having a giant bat head on a furry man body, with maybe some chin-tentacles, sooo.....

I hope the picture's a giant Man-Bat.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
What other horror characters/stories would you guys like to see in the show?

I assumed that Caliban in the theater was a Phantom of the Opera homage, but I'd like to see that story explored a little more.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mouse Dresser posted:

The Gillman is my favorite Universal monster but asides from a freak-show cameo as a "mer-man of the amazon" I don't see how they would include it :( .

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vincent posted:

The Gillman is my favorite Universal monster but asides from a freak-show cameo as a "mer-man of the amazon" I don't see how they would include it :( .
They could mash it up with something else, like they made Frankenstein's Monster also the Phantom of the Opera.

Respectable Dr. Jekyll at one time, abominable Mr. Hyde Gillman the next!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I think the single worst decision was killing off Van Helsing before he could really sink into the role. I still stand by my thoughts that Dalton should've just been Van Helsing, and the main focus of the show instead of Mina's dad or whatever.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So it seems I'm the only person that liked Caliban.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

sbaldrick posted:

So it seems I'm the only person that liked Caliban.

His nickname of Friendzone Frankenstein was pretty genius, but he was an rear end in a top hat.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Drifter posted:

It's a self portrait.

Just close your eyes and imagine. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

It's Irish Joe, all he needs to do is look in the mirror and it's pretty much in the same ball park.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The start date for Season 2 has been announced as May 3rd.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Emostein cannot be forgiven for murdering David Warner, sorry that was a massive shitheel maneuver.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
We're now about two weeks away from the premiere of Season 2 - and that means a new thread! PYF thread title ideas here.

Also, I don't know how I missed this, but apparently they announced that everyone's favorite fop, Ferdinand Lyle, would be a series regular in Season 2 at SDCC last summer:

http://popinsomniacs.com/2014/07/penny-dreadful-sdcc-panel-season-2-will-feature-a-human-antagonist/

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Penny Dreadful Season 2: Things are so rarely what they seem.

(Vanessa quote from season 1)

Edit: Alternatively, use the RuPaul's Drag Race one of "Not today, Satan!"

Mouse Dresser fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 17, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Something like "The adventures of Completely Normal Human Man Ethan Chandler"

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Kesper North posted:

We're now about two weeks away from the premiere of Season 2 - and that means a new thread! PYF thread title ideas here.

Also, I don't know how I missed this, but apparently they announced that everyone's favorite fop, Ferdinand Lyle, would be a series regular in Season 2 at SDCC last summer:

http://popinsomniacs.com/2014/07/penny-dreadful-sdcc-panel-season-2-will-feature-a-human-antagonist/

He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amok in Kent

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Something like "The adventures of Completely Normal Human Man Ethan Chandler"

A Completely Normal American Man in London.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Mouse Dresser posted:

Spring-heeled Jack : the Original super villain and penny dreadful superstar.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 19, 2015

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Penny Dreadful - Victorian Era True Blood.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cheerfullydrab posted:

It pretty much has to be this one.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

cheerfullydrab posted:

This is great. This.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Penny Dreadful - Victorian Era True Blood.

Please don't insult the show like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

cheerfullydrab posted:

Hee hee hee. I like it.

• Locked thread