Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I can't stop playing this stupid loving game I hate

It's actually in a better place than I had thought it would be, and modding is fixing a lot of the problematic elements. Glowing ores is so useful at alleviating the issue of how crappy mining is that it's practically mandatory for fun.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Quite a lot of people in here wouldn't play the game 2 days into the update if the glowing ores wasn't around.

That says a lot about the game than I could, I guess.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

senae posted:

Whatever happened to that goatperson mod? Is that still being worked on?

Hi, that's me!

Also nope done forever - If there was a program to convert _merge to whatever the wacky new system is I'd convert it, but I've moved on. If I were to do new mods it's far more likely I'd just make a new race straight up or alternately just never play this again

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dang, RIP

it's pretty rough adapting to the new system, but I didn't have too much of a problem converting my bug dudes over. You had a lot more in your mod than I did though.

e: the OP is now prettier

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 2, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As an alternative to glowing ore, the previously mentioned Your Starbound Crew mod (which is pretty fun so far) also offers a souped-up flashlight whose light penetrates walls more easily, and a "wallscanner" you can craft, which is basically just an enormous-area matter manipulator with very, very little digging power. The result is a huge blue square that can scan for caves/ores easily.

Same basic effect, but requires a little active searching and appeals to me a little more because I feel like I've earned it. I know most people won't give a poo poo about that but I guess it works for me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My weekend with the game has taught me that I like what's there, but it definitely needs some more tools and general material.

It's definitely missing an "end-game" tech stage with gigantic mining lasers that just gut a planet in the background while I go do something else. It'd give me something to do with all that excess fuel, at least, assuming the laser needs power.

I also enjoy the fact that you're free to explore the universe and find the things you need, except that there's not really a reason to once you've bookmarked one of each star type.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
A mining laser mounted on the bottom of your ship that burns Solarium/Uranium/Plutonium or a shitload of Erichus fuel would be bangin. Just set it going and go explore the surface. By the time you make a full round-trip, a box next to it's control panel would have a good amount of whatever the chief ores on that planet are.

edit: Bonus points if it slurps up Erichus from moons at a faster rate than it burns it.

edit: Also, while it's active you can actually see a laser making it's way across the planet at like 1/2 walking speed that kills you and anything else it touches :madmax:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 2, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JerikTelorian posted:

These mods are perfect. I feel like the microdungeons should have an "implode" button that reduces them to blocks because breaking them down is a nightmare but these are way easier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-1MybFFvI

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If the 3D printer were more than just an afterthought, you could have Outpost Blueprint items that add all the contents to the printer on use.

I would actually go one step further and say that once you mine a block of some basic material not used in serious crafting (like dirt or cobble or outpost walls) it should be added to some kind of infinite bulk matter library so you don't have to worry about harvesting and managing stacks of thousands of blocks. Starbound has so much poo poo in it to collect and manage that I really think it needs to loosen up on the more mundane stuff like collecting blocks for basic construction.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

THE loving MOON posted:

A mining laser mounted on the bottom of your ship that burns Solarium/Uranium/Plutonium or a shitload of Erichus fuel would be bangin. Just set it going and go explore the surface. By the time you make a full round-trip, a box next to it's control panel would have a good amount of whatever the chief ores on that planet are.

edit: Bonus points if it slurps up Erichus from moons at a faster rate than it burns it.

edit: Also, while it's active you can actually see a laser making it's way across the planet at like 1/2 walking speed that kills you and anything else it touches :madmax:

This would be an amazing way to troll somebody in a multiplayer server, too.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Ahundredbux posted:

Seriously, the glowing ore mod is a big deal
This so much. This is my first time playing Starbound and I can't imagine how much harder a time I would have getting resources without this.

Also I agree that Starbound could use a better cave generation algorithm. I've had to do tons of digging to get down to the area with core fragments.

What I want is some kind of giant drilling laser that I can use to carve a hole deep into the planet. Is there an item or mod for that?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The next (last?) upgrade I need to get for the MM is the 4x4 one, and I went ahead and decided to try out a diamond drill last night just to see how much faster it is. Hadn't used a drill of any kind before.

Turns out it's a lot slower. Man, by the time drills become available there's no good reason to use them. If you keep up with your MM upgrades it's just flat out better and doesn't waste inventory space.

Drills suck, laser supremacy

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I found a planet with sheeps that barfed up rainbows at me. "chromatic purge."

Then later I dived to the floor of an ocean world. Sinking and seeing the alien fish swim by, the light getting dimmer until I could only see my flashlight beam for a while, then finding a few cool glowing plants, was super atmospheric. I dug through the sand for a bit, scooping up ores, and then found a human outpost building in a sealed bubble of rock. There was no way in to it without opening up a dig hole and flooding its chamber, so I ran in and opened/shut the door quick enough that only a few inches of water came in, and settled in the basement. The lights were on, as well as a monitor. Two bunk beds and a few chests with pixels and like a lovely weapon. I wondered, how did this building get here? How did its human inhabitants get in or out? Was it some deep-sea habitat that got swallowed up by a freak tectonic shift? Were there people stranded down here, left to starve? I felt like there was a story that I would never know. Even if it's a procedural RNG thing, it seemed like a super unlikely fringe event to find this thing at all, like it was a rare and precious lightning strike of imagination food. Then I kept digging and found like three more identical houses in rock bubbles, plus four or five chambers of plastic plants embedded in the world's crust, and the RNG salt-shaker's illusion was broken.

Haven't tried species other than the Fishmans for comparison, but it seems like the weapons I can craft are always loads better than the ones I find.

Also: if you want to fill your space ship up with liquid, you can do it, but you need to cover up all of the background tiles or else it leaks out. (!) The cockpit area, space ship 'windows,' and section-connecting doorframe bits, despite being visible things, count as un-covered for purposes of fluid dynamics. You'd think that would be a problem for like maintaining an atmosphere, but w/e. Right click and put some glass blocks over them if you like.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

The next (last?) upgrade I need to get for the MM is the 4x4 one, and I went ahead and decided to try out a diamond drill last night just to see how much faster it is. Hadn't used a drill of any kind before.

Turns out it's a lot slower. Man, by the time drills become available there's no good reason to use them. If you keep up with your MM upgrades it's just flat out better and doesn't waste inventory space.

Drills suck, laser supremacy

Yeah this is true. A few diamond picks are probably worth your while if you find a bunch during the titanium-era but after that the manipulator is pretty much the end all.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Anyone found some instruments? The only ones Ive found are the guitar and accordion which I of course got duplicates of from the quests :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

StringOfLetters posted:

Then later I dived to the floor of an ocean world. Sinking and seeing the alien fish swim by, the light getting dimmer until I could only see my flashlight beam for a while, then finding a few cool glowing plants, was super atmospheric. I dug through the sand for a bit, scooping up ores, and then found a human outpost building in a sealed bubble of rock. There was no way in to it without opening up a dig hole and flooding its chamber, so I ran in and opened/shut the door quick enough that only a few inches of water came in, and settled in the basement. The lights were on, as well as a monitor. Two bunk beds and a few chests with pixels and like a lovely weapon. I wondered, how did this building get here? How did its human inhabitants get in or out? Was it some deep-sea habitat that got swallowed up by a freak tectonic shift? Were there people stranded down here, left to starve? I felt like there was a story that I would never know. Even if it's a procedural RNG thing, it seemed like a super unlikely fringe event to find this thing at all, like it was a rare and precious lightning strike of imagination food. Then I kept digging and found like three more identical houses in rock bubbles, plus four or five chambers of plastic plants embedded in the world's crust, and the RNG salt-shaker's illusion was broken.

This has convinced me to build somewhere below the sea. I do think that the RNG needs to cool it with those random buried rooms, there are WAY too many of them.

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if you were able to open up your single player universe to anyone who wanted to join? Like some sort of on-the-fly dedicated server, LAN-style, but for online. For how large this game is, it's pretty drat lonely, and I'd love for there to be some sort of better multiplayer support (like a single player game just automatically doubles as a potential multiplayer game) or at least way more convincing npcs, as I mentioned before (have some npcs travel around the universe, and maybe visit you).

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Two questions:
Why is the MM a two handed item?
Why can I not craft a flashlight upgrade for my MM?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This has convinced me to build somewhere below the sea. I do think that the RNG needs to cool it with those random buried rooms, there are WAY too many of them.

But they're what makes mining fun! :hurr:

I agree entirely though; if they were a bit more varied or spread out, it would work wonders.

Pumpkin Pirate
Feb 2, 2005
???????

Michaellaneous posted:

Two questions:
Why can I not craft a flashlight upgrade for my MM?

The MM takes two hands because it uses the right mouse button to do background stuff. A flashlight upgrade for it would be really nice to have, though.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

But they're what makes mining fun! :hurr:

I agree entirely though; if they were a bit more varied or spread out, it would work wonders.

A story on that. I was on the first desert planet in my game, I found the monkey electric testing chamber dungeon or whatever. Blow that were about...20? 30? Outposts lined up perfectly in a row all the way to the lava.
And then there was suddenly the mini town.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Michaellaneous posted:

A story on that. I was on the first desert planet in my game, I found the monkey electric testing chamber dungeon or whatever. Blow that were about...20? 30? Outposts lined up perfectly in a row all the way to the lava.
And then there was suddenly the mini town.

That's kind of rad, though? It's like a big weird space colony.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is there ALWAYS lava at the bottom of a planet? Also, those HUGE planets that say 'can't land'... can you eventually land on them? What's with those?

EDIT: wait, are they ALL gas giants?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Is there ALWAYS lava at the bottom of a planet? Also, those HUGE planets that say 'can't land'... can you eventually land on them? What's with those?

EDIT: wait, are they ALL gas giants?

those are gas giants, yeah, but moons, at least, just end in The Void.

Don't fall into The Void.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Michaellaneous posted:

You can alter the files so the MM is one-handed but then rightclicking won't work for it, so

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dog kisser posted:

Hi, that's me!

Also nope done forever - If there was a program to convert _merge to whatever the wacky new system is I'd convert it, but I've moved on. If I were to do new mods it's far more likely I'd just make a new race straight up or alternately just never play this again

There is

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

It's actually in a better place than I had thought it would be, and modding is fixing a lot of the problematic elements. Glowing ores is so useful at alleviating the issue of how crappy mining is that it's practically mandatory for fun.

There's a glowing ores mod?!

Jesus I need this. That would make this game so much less annoying.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Jackard posted:

You can alter the files so the MM is one-handed but then rightclicking won't work for it, so

Actually, you can right-click with the MM when it's one-handed, you just have to make sure it's in your right hand for right clicking, and the left hand for left clicking.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Speedball posted:

There's a glowing ores mod?!

Jesus I need this. That would make this game so much less annoying.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/illuminated-ores.2429/

Easy-peasy. It really makes a big chunk of the tedium out. It actually shocks me how much ore there is, since it felt so sparse before. It's like turning every map into an asteroid map.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if you were able to open up your single player universe to anyone who wanted to join? Like some sort of on-the-fly dedicated server, LAN-style, but for online. For how large this game is, it's pretty drat lonely, and I'd love for there to be some sort of better multiplayer support (like a single player game just automatically doubles as a potential multiplayer game) or at least way more convincing npcs, as I mentioned before (have some npcs travel around the universe, and maybe visit you).

The multiplayer server you can host and your single player universe are literally the same. The only difference being that people can't join if you only start single player.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

We totally need gas giants with floating islands held up by <mystical element> that you can land on and harvest to help build advanced technology.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Everything in your ship is tied to your character, so you can jump servers as much as you want with all your stuff. Multiplayer-on-demand would be pretty neat though.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Inverness posted:

We totally need gas giants with floating islands held up by <mystical element> that you can land on and harvest to help build advanced technology.

Reminds me of one of the prison worlds in myst 4.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Inverness posted:

Yeah, in general I'd like to be able to do *something* with Gas Giants. Like, maybe not beam down to it so I can be whipped around in a planetary megastorm for a while, but something like what you've got there.

Oh!

The high-atmosphere colony ships on gas giants should all just be randomized high-tech "dungeon" biomes themed by what race (or Alien) made them, and ranked by difficulty. So, a Gas Giant is where you go if you want to just do a dungeon run.

Edit: the imaginary version of this game is really cool, guys

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I appear to be unable to craft the tier 5 armors for whatever reason. Wiki is too busy being outdated. Can anyone help a bro?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Goddamn it, I forgot I'm on OSX and following the instructions to mod Starbound on OSX aren't working out for me. Looks like I'll have to live without.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I appear to be unable to craft the tier 5 armors for whatever reason. Wiki is too busy being outdated. Can anyone help a bro?

Did you craft the higher tier materials? Merging Rub/Vio/Aegis with solarium (i think) to make the next tier?

Did you make the next tier of crafting table thing?

Speedball posted:

Goddamn it, I forgot I'm on OSX and following the instructions to mod Starbound on OSX aren't working out for me. Looks like I'll have to live without.

I did it incorrectly the first time, make sure the files are in mods/glowing ore/glowing ore.modinfo

So make sure each mod is in its own directory in the mod folder.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, in general I'd like to be able to do *something* with Gas Giants. Like, maybe not beam down to it so I can be whipped around in a planetary megastorm for a while, but something like what you've got there.

Oh!

The high-atmosphere colony ships on gas giants should all just be randomized high-tech "dungeon" biomes themed by what race (or Alien) made them, and ranked by difficulty. So, a Gas Giant is where you go if you want to just do a dungeon run.

Edit: the imaginary version of this game is really cool, guys

This is a super cool idea and you should post it on the SB forums or tweet it to the devs or something. It's really that good.

Imagine one of those human Penal Colonies orbiting the gas planet, or an Apex Cloud City full of traders. So cool.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Speedball posted:

I just installed Starbound via steam, right click - properties - local files - browse.

Then open the mod folder you downloaded and put it in retarded giraffe or something, and then mods.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

someone messaged me on the forums asking me if I would please update my race mod

welp, now I have to

only 4 more ship tiers to go!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Reminds me of one of the prison worlds in myst 4.
I just nostalgia'd hard about the first time I played Riven.

I don't recall Starbound having any planets with odd formations like that. Or something like what's found in Gehn's 233rd age:

I'm also remembering one of the ages from Myst 5:

• Locked thread