Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lurdiak posted:

I wasn't aware True Lies was considered good.

Omg

Boo this man!

It's considered one of the best action movies ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't express an opinion, I just have never heard people praise it unironically.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
True Lies sucks and Jamie Lee Curtis looks like dogshit. The only good part of the movie is the missile death. You know what I'm talking about.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

True Lies sucks and Jamie Lee Curtis looks like dogshit. The only good part of the movie is the missile death. You know what I'm talking about.

You're fired.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't express an opinion, I just have never heard people praise it unironically.

It has always gotten good reception, and while it's not remembered as fondly as Terminator 2 or Aliens, it's relatively rare to hear of someone who actively dislikes it (although there will always be a few detractors on Internet forums).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
True Lies broke box office records and was immediately regarded as one of the best action movies ever, I have no clue what you're talking about.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Rhyno posted:

What kind of a soulless dick calls this campy?

Because ot IS campy as gently caress...but it DOES work. Maybe it is just that people like Cameron and Spielberg can make campy work without it being "dumb"? Or maybe it was just the era? This could be a thread unto itself, but it really does interest me how movies like T2 can get away with it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

True Lies is pretty much the last good Schwarzenegger movie. It's also next-level super-misogynist and probably couldn't get made today.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I personally always felt that those final moments where the terminator says "i know now why you cry" and the following termination scene worked because of the music and the way it took on melancholic tones.

This is a good example of the importance of music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWcg3cITkTI

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

True Lies is pretty much the last good Schwarzenegger movie. It's also next-level super-misogynist and probably couldn't get made today.

I remember hearing at the time that Cameron planned to make a sequel and had begun very early work on it, but dropped it after 9/11 because he didn't think terrorism comedies would be popular. No idea how true that is, or if it's just one of those internet urban legends.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Commando.

True Lies has good scenes, but the movie as a whole doesn't quite work. The sum is worth less than it's parts. The best bits were the Bill Paxton/car salesman story line which is both funny and a shocking abuse of power.

The final scenes from T2 works because the character doing it is a robot who has learned a little about what it is to be human. If it was any other situation you would be going WTF is this. The musical cues being brilliantly manipulating helped alot.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"I know now why you cry" is only considered campy because internet nerds turned the phrase into a meme. Everyone who saw Terminator 2 as a kid cried like a bitch during that entire scene.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahahahahahahaahahahahaaha.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Sasquatch! posted:

Because ot IS campy as gently caress...but it DOES work. Maybe it is just that people like Cameron and Spielberg can make campy work without it being "dumb"? Or maybe it was just the era? This could be a thread unto itself, but it really does interest me how movies like T2 can get away with it.

To add to your point, the reason it tends to work for them is because there is a point to it and it's something that isn't out of character.. The whole thumbs up thing shows that, in some small way, the Terminator had become self aware and even human. Also we say the Terminator following John's "lessons" and saying things like Hasta La Vista so the thumbs up isn't out of left field.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Shadoer posted:

To add to your point, the reason it tends to work for them is because there is a point to it and it's something that isn't out of character.. The whole thumbs up thing shows that, in some small way, the Terminator had become self aware and even human. Also we say the Terminator following John's "lessons" and saying things like Hasta La Vista so the thumbs up isn't out of left field.
So you're saying that those things made sense in the context of the character/story. I'll run with this.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

There were some pretty bad misogynistic bits (the Jamie Lee Curtis 'dance' scene :stare:) but the movie as a whole was pretty loving awesome.

Maybe not Commando awesome, but what is?

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
True Lies is probably the best action film of the 90's.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Darse posted:

That's Face-off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Not even close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUAu1i59XP0

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

That's Face-off.
What about The Rock though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

WarLocke posted:

There were some pretty bad misogynistic bits (the Jamie Lee Curtis 'dance' scene :stare:) but the movie as a whole was pretty loving awesome.

Maybe not Commando awesome, but what is?

Those things weren't misogynist because they were meant to show characters (ie. Arnold and Paxton's characters) as assholes and the viewer was supposed to feel a bit uncomfortable while watching (if they didn't, it showed more about the person watching). However, they were then reported as THIS SCENE IS SO HOT, which gave them a different light outside of the context of the story being told. We had a really long argument about that in this forum a year or so ago in more detail.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Darse posted:

You don't come into the mother loving Terminator thread and claim that any other movie was the best action movie of the 90's. What the gently caress?

(Last Action Hero owns, though, and is a work of pure genius.)

Caros
May 14, 2008

poonchasta posted:

You don't come into the mother loving Terminator thread and claim that any other movie was the best action movie of the 90's. What the gently caress?

(Last Action Hero owns, though, and is a work of pure genius.)

There is an argument to be made about the late nineties, but best action flick of the 90's in general is T2. No loving exceptions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was being facetious.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Lurdiak posted:

I was being facetious.

As penance, you must recite 40 Heil Arnolds at Planet Hollywood.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Toady posted:

Arnold is famously likable.

My favorite clip of Arnold is when he's going to some school for some kind of appearance and you see him climbing out of the car with this huge grin on his face that immediately shifts into his deadpan Terminator face as he hears the kids shouting "It's the Terminator! Wow!" when running up to the car and gets out, looks around and then starts asking if they've seen John Connor.

EDIT: It was a news clip, but I can't seem to find it on Youtube.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 2, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Arnold is a guy who always seemed to really enjoy being a famous movie star, I've never seen him come off as bitter or jaded. Considering how other iconic action stars like Bruce Willis and Harrison Ford regularly come across(jerky, aloof) in interviews I think that's pretty impressive. I know he's got some unsavory poo poo in his past but when he's in front of a camera Arnold has never not been 100% on his game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think what's most surprising about Arnold's story is how unlikely a star he was. 99 times out of 100, bodybuilders with thick accents go nowhere in the industry, and the 1980's and early 90's are littered with Arnold clones who were one and done. Then he turned around and invested all that money, so that he hasn't really made a good movie in 20 years but is still worth about a billion dollars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also, he's an awful actor, accent or no, so it's even more surprising he has such a successful career. I guess natural charisma trumps all.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I enjoyed when a friend brought over that Last Stand movie from a couple years ago, even. "I'M DA SHERIFF." Arnold just seems fun to watch.

Saw True Lies for the first time a few years ago after being shocked I had missed a post-T2 Arnold/Cameron team-up, but I didn't like it all that much. The bits about him forcing his wife to seduce some guy and generally humiliating her and others was pretty cringe-inducing (any scene with Paxton), suppose that was the point but it turned me off the movie a bit. Hated all the characters and the setpieces weren't as amazing 20 years later as they were been at the time.

Would choose T2, heck even Total Recall over that one any day. Didn't pick up a copy for the Arnold Action collection.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Electromax posted:

I enjoyed when a friend brought over that Last Stand movie from a couple years ago, even. "I'M DA SHERIFF." Arnold just seems fun to watch.

Saw True Lies for the first time a few years ago after being shocked I had missed a post-T2 Arnold/Cameron team-up, but I didn't like it all that much. The bits about him forcing his wife to seduce some guy and generally humiliating her and others was pretty cringe-inducing (any scene with Paxton), suppose that was the point but it turned me off the movie a bit. Hated all the characters and the setpieces weren't as amazing 20 years later as they were been at the time.

Would choose T2, heck even Total Recall over that one any day. Didn't pick up a copy for the Arnold Action collection.

Even with all the stuff Schwarzenegger does in that movie, it's Tom Arnold that bothers me more.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I think what's most surprising about Arnold's story is how unlikely a star he was. 99 times out of 100, bodybuilders with thick accents go nowhere in the industry, and the 1980's and early 90's are littered with Arnold clones who were one and done. Then he turned around and invested all that money, so that he hasn't really made a good movie in 20 years but is still worth about a billion dollars.

It's worth noting that Arnold was already a pretty successful businessman and real-estate investor before he ever really cracked into acting. He was going to be rich regardless because he started the whole game more intelligently than a lot of the clones who burned out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lurdiak posted:

Also, he's an awful actor, accent or no, so it's even more surprising he has such a successful career. I guess natural charisma trumps all.

He was surprisingly good in Sabotage, probably because he was the villain, but still.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Lurdiak posted:

You're objectively wrong as well as a bad poster.

edit: This motherfucker must have never seen Kindergarten Cop.

edit2: Okay I take back the "bad poster" part but you're still wrong.

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 3, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

We're gonna throw hands bro.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One thing I've always heard said about Arnold is that unlike others like him, he was always cognizant of his limits as an actor. Sure, he sometimes screwed up and picked roles he shouldn't have, but generally knew what kind of roles he could pull off.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 3, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mash posted:

You're objectively wrong as well as a bad poster.

edit: This motherfucker must have never seen Kindergarten Cop.

edit2: Okay I take back the "bad poster" part but you're still wrong.

I post really well, but I am indeed wrong about most things.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

"IT'S NOT A TUMAH!"

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

MisterBibs posted:

One thing I've always heard said about Arnold is that unlike others like him, he was always cognizant of his limits as an actor. Sure, he sometimes screwed up and picked roles he shouldn't have, but generally knew what kind of roles he could pull off.

I remember reading somewhere on the forums I think (hope it wasn't this thread) that Arnold is actually the most enjoyable part of Batman & Robin, because he is a veteran of action/campy/schlocky stuff. This meant he went all out on the cheesy acting while everyone else floundered. It's an interesting take and after seeing it again recently I actually agree. Pretending he's doing his lines to Adam West and Burt Ward makes it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MisterBibs posted:

Also, he's far from the only guy ever to have a solid career at it playing the same guy over and over again.

• Locked thread