Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

here are your standings:

here are your all-star lineups:

let the kareem abdul jabar black history month columns begin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
This thread has the sweet dunk gif.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

When will we know the celebrity game line-up? That's the most important game of the All-Star break.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I didn't realize the Clippers had been playing so well as of late.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

I didn't realize the Clippers had been playing so well as of late.
if we can go +.500 through the next 10 games it'll be hard to see us losing grip of the 2 or 3 seed. We have Nets, Cavs, Raptors, Thunder, Dallas, Houston, Spurs, Kings, Grizz, Houston

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Jefferson's knee broke Rondo's face. Orbital and nasal fracture according to Marc Stein. lovely fluke play.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Terry Glenn posted:

Jefferson's knee broke Rondo's face. Orbital and nasal fracture according to Marc Stein. lovely fluke play.
Probably out for a week and then black zorro for a month or two?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I can't BELIEVE this poo poo. This thread has ZERO pictures of Grigori Rasputin. NONE. Don't expect me to have yalls backs the next time you start an N/V thread.

Also how come no Warriors fans posted about Curry and Kerr's free throw competition.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Because there've been clips of those since last October

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuiDfGltNfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3CBjJkbGGw

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I wonder what type of challenges Mark Jackson would do with his players? Bible trivia followed by suicides maybe?

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 2, 2015

thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008

BWV posted:

I wonder what type of challenges Mark Jackson would do with his players? Bible trivia followed by suicides maybe?

I can't confirm but I have a faint memory of reading an article mentioning that back in the Mark Jackson days, he'd even divvy up playing time for role players based on how religious he thought his players were. :lol:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I guess that's still better than Sam Mitchell forcing players to fight in order to build toughness

quote:

You couldn't really call it a practice; there was no shooting, dribbling or passing to be seen. With patrons watching from stationary bikes and weekend warriors playing pickup on adjacent courts, Mitchell put one ball beneath the basket and two players at the foul line. One man's job was to get the ball, the other's was to keep him from touching it. By any means necessary.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

BWV posted:

I guess that's still better than Sam Mitchell forcing players to fight in order to build toughness
this is classic high school bball coach poo poo

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

if we can go +.500 through the next 10 games it'll be hard to see us losing grip of the 2 or 3 seed. We have Nets, Cavs, Raptors, Thunder, Dallas, Houston, Spurs, Kings, Grizz, Houston

It all hinges on the defense, which Austin Rivers seems to have improved. I expect 1 or 2 vet signings here during the buyout window. It'll also be interesting to see if Dahntay Jones sticks around. He got paid 170k for 20 days or so of work.

Spencer Hawes really needs to start contributing too. I guess he went scoreless in 2 consecutive games just recently for the first time since 2008. Not good for a guy who was expected to be around 10 ppg.

thompson fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 2, 2015

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

BWV posted:

quote:

You couldn't really call it a practice; there was no shooting, dribbling or passing to be seen. With patrons watching from stationary bikes and weekend warriors playing pickup on adjacent courts, Mitchell put one ball beneath the basket and two players at the foul line. One man's job was to get the ball, the other's was to keep him from touching it. By any means necessar

Sam Mitchell Basketball Practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCXbib9MahE

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BWV posted:

I do a similar drill for Gaelic football, but that's a contact sport.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do you guys think the Greek Freaks cieling is now at this point? Pippin?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIgdlCM8njs

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

He's a super raw young guy who's getting some attention for playing on a young raw team and throwing down some sick dunks. If he doesn't become at least a taller, better version of Michael Jordan, I'd be hugely surprised.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Well nobody's called him the Greek Kevin Durant since it became clear that Giannis doesn't suffer from the same nagging injuries and emotional hangups that will always keep KD from achieving any real basketball success.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

EvanTH posted:

Well nobody's called him the Greek Kevin Durant since it became clear that Giannis doesn't suffer from the same nagging injuries and emotional hangups that will always keep KD from achieving any real basketball success.

How come Kevin Durant is exempt from the Not A Winner poo poo that plagued LeBron for nearly a decade. Is it because he's got no visible tattoos and talks about Jesus, or maybe Russell Westbrook acts as a kind of sponge attracting all media and fan hate?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Well I mean there was the whole Mr. Unreliable thing last year, it just didn't catch on with national media.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

chunkles posted:

How come Kevin Durant is exempt from the Not A Winner poo poo that plagued LeBron for nearly a decade. Is it because he's got no visible tattoos and talks about Jesus, or maybe Russell Westbrook acts as a kind of sponge attracting all media and fan hate?

Partly because of Westbrook like you mentioned, but also because he didn't come into the league with the same level of hype as Lebron did. There's only enough room in most sportswriters heads for one "not a winner" guy at a time, and they got so used to doing it with Lebron that alot of them still do it even after he's won championships.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Well, Pippen does come somewhat close in his 2nd year stats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...at=&order_by=ws

I'm not in love with that list though, if Giannis can't figure out how to hit 3s I think he'll have a real problem. He did ok last year, but he didn't take very many of them.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Rose cleanin up

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Idiots in short sleeves, come on it's cold out there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

He was held up as the Anti-LeBron forever so there was a lot of inertia there. If he gets older and still hasn't won then maybe. Also it would be really dumb and annoying so we should be happy that it hasn't happened yet!

The B_36 posted:

he didn't come into the league with the same level of hype as Lebron did.

I mean this is true but only in the sense that literally no one has ever had the level of hype LeBron did. He was about as close as you can get.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Who parks a Bentley outdoors in a Chicago winter?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Spite posted:

Who parks a Bentley outdoors in a Chicago winter?

Someone with enough money to give no fucks.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

One thing I was thinking about this Atlanta team is that they don't have expensive contracts out to anyone really.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

Gordon Hayward is being paid more than anyone on the Hawks roster. For that matter, so is Jeremy Lin apparently.

Team salary is $59,945,589 and Milwaukee and Philly are the only teams with total salary under $59m so really Atlanta is near the bottom of the league in terms of payroll.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

MourningView posted:

He was held up as the Anti-LeBron forever so there was a lot of inertia there. If he gets older and still hasn't won then maybe. Also it would be really dumb and annoying so we should be happy that it hasn't happened yet!

I mean this is true but only in the sense that literally no one has ever had the level of hype LeBron did. He was about as close as you can get.

Yeah iirc there were already feature articles about LeBron when he was still in junior high.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Also I think people expect more from LeBron because he's in the "best ever" conversation.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I guess but Durant's on track to least wind up somewhere in there too.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Fast Luck posted:

One thing I was thinking about this Atlanta team is that they don't have expensive contracts out to anyone really.

Gordon Hayward is being paid more than anyone on the Hawks roster. For that matter, so is Jeremy Lin apparently.

Team salary is $59,945,589 and Milwaukee and Philly are the only teams with total salary under $59m so really Atlanta is near the bottom of the league in terms of payroll.

That works out to like 7.5 million per loss.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Fast Luck posted:

Reeeeally doubt Millsap's next contract is gonna come this cheap if he stays after this season.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Teague was a steal, and was in talks to be traded for Brandon Jennings to the Bucks for some stupid reason.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Carmelo Anthony could have played for that team if he wanted to. I don't think he even granted them a meeting.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
"Not a winner" takes are a reaction to the perceived notion of someone being not just great, but greater than whoever you want to push: Peyton Manning gets it because he's the best football player of all time, Alex Rodriguez used to get it because he was the highest-paid baseball player (& the greatest active player after Bonds), Sidney Crosby gets it a ton. Writers got antsy about LeBron getting comparisons to Jordan and the other greats (hell, even to Kobe) before he "paid his dues" or whatever, so they used championships as a convenient bludgeon. Durant obviously has the potential to be an all-time great, but it's always been clear that LeBron was better, so there was never a need to target him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
USA Basketball is kind of lucky Durant didn't play in the World Cup this summer. Paul George breaking his leg was terrible but if Durant had dealt with injuries all season, people would have partially blamed USA basketball. This probably have caused the US team to be a lot less popular with big name players. It will be interesting to see if the Paul George injury causes anyone to say no to the Olympic team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Did we ever discuss the followup to the Greg Anthony thing

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12243294/court-documents-reveal-new-details-greg-anthony-prostitution-arrest

quote:

UC: How are you?
D1: Good and you?
UC: So $80 for intercourse
D1: Oh I don't wanna say all that
UC: I just need to know so I don't have surprises
D1: Oh just whatever
UC: So straight intercourse or blowjob
D1: Umm, yeah that's fine
UC: So $80 for sex
UC: You want me to dress up
D1: Oh yeah

Dude tried to hire an $80 hooker off of backpage.com. What the heck is that? That's definitely a law enforcement sting operation website.

• Locked thread