Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Vincent posted:

Was Taters posted this on her tumblr. It's from The Wrenchies by Farel Dalrymple.

I was going to read The Wrenchies but I don't think I should read The Wrenchies. Ow, my guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Found this on imugur a few minutes ago, thought some people here might appreciate it:

Apparently from a series called Common Grounds.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I have to say, I liked those pages W.T.Fits. Up until the end it was fairly smaltzy but good. That twist at the end, that was pretty great. And at the same time, pretty upbeat.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That's pretty sweet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

W.T. Fits posted:

I wouldn't call that volume amazing, but there are definitely great moments.

(It's a series of stories that take place in and around a coffee shop called Common Grounds that is designated neutral ground by heroes and villains.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What's interesting about it too is how much we've codified internally about super heroes. Of course the blond, handsome guy, suit-wearing guy with an ambiguous name is going to be the hero. Of course the homeless bum with 'black' in his name is going to be the villain (not black in the racial sense but more in how it's considered foreboding). All these little rules and assumptions we've absorbed subconsciously.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

What's interesting about it too is how much we've codified internally about super heroes. Of course the blond, handsome guy, suit-wearing guy with an ambiguous name is going to be the hero. Of course the homeless bum with 'black' in his name is going to be the villain (not black in the racial sense but more in how it's considered foreboding). All these little rules and assumptions we've absorbed subconsciously.
Instantly I remember a cool Thundercats episode which used similar tropes to subvert them against the viewer.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Scaramouche posted:

Blackwatch also said a superhero 'attacked' him and he fought back, so they were cheating a little there.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Pureauthor posted:

Blackwatch also said a superhero 'attacked' him and he fought back, so they were cheating a little there.

Superheroes attack each other all the time, usually just prior to teaming up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was excellent.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

redbackground posted:

Instantly I remember a cool Thundercats episode which used similar tropes to subvert them against the viewer.

Same thing with an episode of Megas XLR where they get involved with the internal power struggles of a race of large sentient robots. Peter Cullen voiced the bad guy and Frank Welker was the good guy. Subverting expectations, indeed.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
How often do we see that, though: a superhero's career ending in significant prison time, because they killed someone?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

qntm posted:

How often do we see that, though: a superhero's career ending in significant prison time, because they killed someone?

How often do we see superheroes kill someone?

You may want to look up Christos Gage's miniseries Absolution. It's about a legally sanctioned superhero who goes full Rorschach.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
funny thing: Common Grounds was written by Troy Hickman, who later went on to play the game City of Heroes, and then, once he revealed who he was, got to write a couple of the CoH comic books, when those were a thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jedit posted:

How often do we see superheroes kill someone?

Wolverine should really be in jail.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, the fact that any heroes give the Punisher poo poo while giving Wolverine a pass makes them all giant hypocrites.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The difference is that Wolverine doesn't go out of his way to try and eliminate street level criminals on a daily basis. Wolverine finds him in situations where he has to kill, usually super vilians or at least members of groups like Hydra. Killing criminals is the Punisher's life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wolverine and Punisher are pretty distinct in their philosophies and views of killing, and I think they really shouldn't get along (another thing Rucka hosed up), but legally speaking, Wolverine is still a mass murderer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

Wolverine and Punisher are pretty distinct in their philosophies and views of killing, and I think they really shouldn't get along (another thing Rucka hosed up), but legally speaking, Wolverine is still a mass murderer.

Wolverine is the CIA spook torching Banana Farm protestors because we need the region to be stable.

Castle is the bugfuck PTSD former soldier who gets denied visitation rights to his kids and decides to Columbine the lawyers.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

FilthyImp posted:

Wolverine is the CIA spook torching Banana Farm protestors because we need the region to be stable.

Castle is the bugfuck PTSD former soldier who gets denied visitation rights to his kids and decides to Columbine the lawyers.

Basically, Wolverine is The Comedian and Punisher is Rorschach, except not quite so nuts— nearly, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Found this on imugur a few minutes ago, thought some people here might appreciate it:

Astro City-esque, and I mean that in the best way. Goddamn.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Astro City-esque, and I mean that in the best way. Goddamn.

Before I saw where it was from, I thought it was from one of the latest issues of Astro City (I haven't read any of the Vertigo stuff yet).

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

WickedHate posted:

The difference is that Wolverine doesn't go out of his way to try and eliminate street level criminals on a daily basis. Wolverine finds him in situations where he has to kill, usually super vilians or at least members of groups like Hydra. Killing criminals is the Punisher's life.

Wolverine has no excuse for killing 99.99% of the time. He's almost unkillable. He could win most of those fights without even pulling out his claws.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

To be fair to the canucklehead, that's a relatively recent development. Anyone he killed in the early 90s and prior could be qualified as self defense.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Lurdiak posted:

To be fair to the canucklehead, that's a relatively recent development. Anyone he killed in the early 90s and prior could be qualified as self defense.

I seem to remember discussing Logan's issues with a friend, specifically being a hero while having killed people. Looking over how he's written and his general personality traits a strong case could be made for him suffering from a profound case of PTSD. At the best of times he tends to be withdrawn, at worst, irritable, paranoid, jumpy, and is constantly abusing alcohol (as well as chainsmoking.)

And after a quick Goggle search it seems we weren't the only ones exploring that particular topic either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His "berserker animal rage" could be very well argued to be a form of PTSD. Several comics make a distinction between him killing in cold blood and killing while in a rage. He actually has some trouble with the former, because he remembers the details.

I'd also argue that unlike Punisher, Logan knows exactly what he is. Before his recent attempts at being a leader and a teacher, he constantly refused to be seen as a role model or hero.

Punisher thinks he's on a mission that must be done, Logan knows what he did was his own decision, even if his back was against the wall.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lars Blitzer posted:

I seem to remember discussing Logan's issues with a friend, specifically being a hero while having killed people. Looking over how he's written and his general personality traits a strong case could be made for him suffering from a profound case of PTSD. At the best of times he tends to be withdrawn, at worst, irritable, paranoid, jumpy, and is constantly abusing alcohol (as well as chainsmoking.)

And after a quick Goggle search it seems we weren't the only ones exploring that particular topic either.

Is it possible to abuse alcohol if you metabolize it too quickly for it to get you drunk? Pretty much the same with smoking.

At worst, he's a bad role model.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Is it possible to abuse alcohol if you metabolize it too quickly for it to get you drunk? Pretty much the same with smoking.

At worst, he's a bad role model.

I'm pretty positive he can get drunk, ' cause I've seen plenty of pictures in the funny panels thread/around the internet of him inebriated, he just has to drink in much higher quantities then most humans to get that way.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TwoPair posted:

I'm pretty positive he can get drunk, ' cause I've seen plenty of pictures in the funny panels thread/around the internet of him inebriated, he just has to drink in much higher quantities then most humans to get that way.

Most of those are from before his healing factor power creep.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A Real Horse posted:

Well yeah, but when you are talking with some people (my comic reading friends) about it they are so set in "LOL INVINCIBLE NO FUN" that it's very frustrating. Shame, since they are missing out on some excellent comics.

I have no idea why Superman is basically the only character I can think of off the top of my head in the sort of fiction we're talking about that has this sort of criticism applied to them constantly. Half the people I know who say this crap are into stuff like Dragon Ball Z, where a superpowered monkey man rises from the dead constantly and could punch out God.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

I have no idea why Superman is basically the only character I can think of off the top of my head in the sort of fiction we're talking about that has this sort of criticism applied to them constantly. Half the people I know who say this crap are into stuff like Dragon Ball Z, where a superpowered monkey man rises from the dead constantly and could punch out God.

It's all about context. DBZ is about the power-creep, every new story-line introduces a new villain that is more powerful than the heroes and the story is how they are gonna defeat him and what brand new power are they gonna reach. That's the implicit progression of the characters and the readers know/want that.

Superman is so ingrained in the public consciousness as being the most powerful being on earth that him being so looks boring. He's also seen as "the classic" superhero and sometimes that also makes him seen boring.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Also he's been the victim of a lot of boring writing. A whole lot of boring writing.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
At least he has the best Jerk covers!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think if Superman didn't have to exist in the same universe as every other DC character, his power level wouldn't be seen as an issue. But then sometimes people go "you know what, The Joker should fight Superman!" and it all kind of falls apart.

Every drat one of Batman's problems could be solved by Superman in 10 seconds and the readers know it. Hell, try to imagine if Nolan's Batman films existed in a universe where Superman exists.

Yes, there are overpowered Marvel characters, but Marvel was always careful to give them huge limitations or make them morally ambiguous, up until Hickman stopped caring. Like it or not, Superman really is comically overpowered and having him be on a team with like, Cyborg or Batman just makes no sense unless you write him as a complete moron or massively nerf his powers.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 4, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pureauthor posted:

Well, he wasn't a hero for very long. Maybe he decided to turn to crime and that was his first caper, backstabbing Blackwatch?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, they cover that in the last issue. It was a brawl between superheroes and he accidentally offed the kid. Went to jail, etc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Hawkeye 21

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 4, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lurdiak posted:

His "berserker animal rage" could be very well argued to be a form of PTSD. Several comics make a distinction between him killing in cold blood and killing while in a rage. He actually has some trouble with the former, because he remembers the details.

I'd also argue that unlike Punisher, Logan knows exactly what he is. Before his recent attempts at being a leader and a teacher, he constantly refused to be seen as a role model or hero.

Punisher thinks he's on a mission that must be done, Logan knows what he did was his own decision, even if his back was against the wall.

I think Punisher knows what he is as well, at least in MAX. I'm sure I've seen him thinking that if he ever won his war on organised crime he'd have to find another war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I think if Superman didn't have to exist in the same universe as every other DC character, his power level wouldn't be seen as an issue. But then sometimes people go "you know what, The Joker should fight Superman!" and it all kind of falls apart.

Every drat one of Batman's problems could be solved by Superman in 10 seconds and the readers know it. Hell, try to imagine if Nolan's Batman films existed in a universe where Superman exists.

Yes, there are overpowered Marvel characters, but Marvel was always careful to give them huge limitations or make them morally ambiguous, up until Hickman stopped caring. Like it or not, Superman really is comically overpowered and having him be on a team with like, Cyborg or Batman just makes no sense unless you write him as a complete moron or massively nerf his powers.

Superman could solve all of Batman's problems the same way the US Army could solve all of New York's problems. The first year of Injustice is pretty much about this, Peace on Earth is another one, so's Kingdom Come, Red Son, etc.

I guess I can't really blame people for having this perspective since there's a lot of bland/lovely regular Supes comics out there, but at the same time there's people who go "why doesn't Superman just go clean up Gotham in ten seconds?" not because they're probing the verisimilitude of the setting but just because Superman's such a lame cheesy boyscout maaaan.