Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Sm4sh was fun (I think my favorite set was Megaman vs Pac-Man), and it's not gonna be Melee (which is completely fine), but the metagame is only a few months old plus there's the potential of custom moves to be used in future tournaments, which can only help underutilized characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

Sm4sh was fun (I think my favorite set was Megaman vs Pac-Man), and it's not gonna be Melee (which is completely fine), but the metagame is only a few months old plus there's the potential of custom moves to be used in future tournaments, which can only help underutilized characters.

Do tournament organizers actually plan to allow custom moves in the future? Between that and ongoing patching (even if infrequent), I think it could end up a very balanced and diverse game. I would also love to see the Mii fighters be allowed in competitive play cause they look pretty cool.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

They need to reduce hand warming time, 4 minutes to hand warm is a little silly. Button checks in other games are maybe a minute, usually shorter.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Smashing Link posted:

Do tournament organizers actually plan to allow custom moves in the future? Between that and ongoing patching (even if infrequent), I think it could end up a very balanced and diverse game. I would also love to see the Mii fighters be allowed in competitive play cause they look pretty cool.

Short answer: We'd love to, but it's a stretch right now.

Long answer: The single biggest problem is getting enough fully unlocked consoles for large, APEX scale tournaments. There is currently no way to shortcut the long process of getting 400+ RNG unlocks on a WiiU. We don't even have the "pay cash money to unlock everything" option that some other fighters have (see: BlazBlue). Right now the best option is looking to be Amazing Ampharos' Custom Moveset Project, which involves:

Getting a fully unlocked 3DS version
Creating the top 6 movesets for every character (as voted on by the community) with standardized naming
Transferring every one of those sets to each WiiU that will be used (takes about 15 mins per WiiU, and only once)

This makes it so that for 95% of people, the WiiU is set up with the set you'll use, and for the last 5% they'll have to transfer moves from their own 3DS version (it isn't too much of a stretch to assume that someone who is dead set on using a unique build owns a 3DS with that build unlocked). The upside of this is that there are cheat devices that can be used to unlock all custom moves on a 3DS version, and it only takes 1 fully unlocked 3DS to set up any number of WiiUs. The downside is that this is an additional equipment and setup time requirement, and that it doesn't actually unlock the moves on the WiiU.

The fastest method would be if the WiiU also had all the moves unlocked, so players with unique movesets didn't need to connect a 3DS, but that will take either A) Time, B) Nintendo giving us a "pay $5 to unlock all custom moves" DLC, or C) Someone to crack the WiiU security and enable save sharing.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
It's like probably the only unlock-all type of dlc that i would ever consider buying... :negative:

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

I tried to watch this but completely lost the plot when Samus was standing on one side of Battlefield and then warped to the other side with no visible animation. Did I blink and not realize it, or do spontaneous warps just happen in Melee?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

I tried to watch this but completely lost the plot when Samus was standing on one side of Battlefield and then warped to the other side with no visible animation. Did I blink and not realize it, or do spontaneous warps just happen in Melee?

Samus dabbled in wizardry during her Melee days

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

thank you

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

KingEffingFrost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YSeHeuiX8U

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Club Nintendo released some more rewards today, including a poster trio of Shulk, Bowser Jr., and...Duck Hunt.

Fire Emblem poster never. :negative:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's funny that the poster set is themed around all the leaked newcomers.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Club Nintendo released some more rewards today, including a poster trio of Shulk, Bowser Jr., and...Duck Hunt.

Oh gently caress are you serious? I don't care about Shulk one way or the other, but Bowser Jr AND Duck Hunt?

Actually, they really shoud've devoted a whole poster to Bowser Jr and the Koopalings.

The site is down for maintenance :qq:

edit: I just found a picture of those posters. That Bowser Jr poster is EXACTLY what it is. Daaaamn.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd say it probably has something to do with the fact that the artist for whatever reason put Mega Man in the artwork sandwiched between Peach and Luigi; but then again he appears in the Bowser Jr. one along with Sonic showing up in the Duck Hunt one so I dunno.

Licensing does appear to be the issue why we'll never get a fully-featured music CD collection for purchase.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'd say it probably has something to do with the fact that the artist for whatever reason put Mega Man in the artwork sandwiched between Peach and Luigi; but then again he appears in the Bowser Jr. one along with Sonic showing up in the Duck Hunt one so I dunno.

Licensing does appear to be the issue why we'll never get a fully-featured music CD collection for purchase.

gently caress you're probably right. :negative:

Edit: wait I didn't read that properly. On another note, do we know what's on the soundtrack reward?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

gently caress you're probably right. :negative:

Edit: wait I didn't read that properly. On another note, do we know what's on the soundtrack reward?

I think they showed the playlist in the 50 Facts direct. Forget what it was exactly though.

Still happy for Koopaling and Duck Hunt Posters. Shame they didnt give us the Pac poster. That one was easily the best.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

bowser did not say the bad word, and i would appreciate it if people stopped spreading the rumor that he did. he's a hardworking dad who does not deserve this.

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

sharrrk posted:

bowser did not say the bad word, and i would appreciate it if people stopped spreading the rumor that he did. he's a hardworking dad who does not deserve this.

which bad word

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

which bad word

love

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

i agree that is a word bowser would not use

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
The new For Glory experience: destroy 3 dudes trying to copy what they saw on stream. Fight one dude who is actually good but when the bouts get to 1-1, peaces out.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

anyone here have any experience with getting the official gamecube adapter to work with dolphin netplay? i've been following this guide but i can't get it to detect my gamecube adapter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

anyone here have any experience with getting the official gamecube adapter to work with dolphin netplay? i've been following this guide but i can't get it to detect my gamecube adapter.

Yeah, I dealt with it a couple weeks ago with Laplace's help

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kaubocks posted:

There was Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, Jigglypuff, Shiek, Yoshi, and there were notable Pikachu, Ice Climbers, and Samus players very near the top.

Even just looking solely at the Top 8 there was 7 different characters running around?

Save for Pikachu and Yoshi all these characters are par for the course dude.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Save for Pikachu and Yoshi all these characters are par for the course dude.

That's still a third of the characters dude

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Almost a whole third? In a game that's been out for 14 years? Wow.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

you do realize that there are only 8 players in top 8 right

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Almost a whole third? In a game that's been out for 14 years? Wow.

That's usually how fighting games work, dude. The played cast gets smaller, not larger. What, you think all the characters in Street Fighter II are used equally?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tae posted:

That's usually how fighting games work, dude. The played cast gets smaller, not larger. What, you think all the characters in Street Fighter II are used equally?

I'm totally fine with that, but let's not say it's a diverse game because Yoshi and Pikachu made it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you're an idiot

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

different than usual =/= diverse

Would you call Top 8 being five Roys, a Pichu, and two Game & Watches diverse?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm totally fine with that, but let's not say it's a diverse game because Yoshi and Pikachu made it.

If more than like 20% of the included cast sees high level play it's diverse dude, I'm sorry to have to break it to you

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Man, I really hate fighting games.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm proud of my friend the pikachu, who made it to the top eight of the Games Contest

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

I'm proud of my friend the pikachu, who made it to the top eight of the Games Contest

pikachu did not make it to top 8 i'm sorry

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheKingofSprings posted:

If more than like 20% of the included cast sees high level play it's diverse dude, I'm sorry to have to break it to you

So we're ignoring the amount of time those characters get used in high level play but just the fact that they're seldom used makes it diverse. Gotcha.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Dude, compare how often characters which are not the very few top tier are used competitively in melee to like... basically any other fighting game. Relatively speaking, it's fairly diverse.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In the top 8 there was 7 different characters! You aren't mad about diversity you're mad because at least 6 of these characters happen to be better than the other 20 in the game. That's just game design. It is insanely unlikely to have a perfectly balanced game even if there's only two characters if they're even remotely different. The worst case scenario with Smash is literally everyone uses Fox because he is the technical best character in the game, but since that level of play is near impossible to attain we get to see characters like Luigi, Yoshi, Pikachu, Ice Climbers, and Captain Falcon also tearing up the bracket.

I have no idea what you want. Some characters are better than other characters and the higher up the bracket you get the more obvious that becomes. If seven out of eight players using different characters isn't good enough for you, go to EVO and prove the world that you've tapped into Bowser's secret potential and that every character is created with equal love and care.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

In the top 8 there was 7 different characters! You aren't mad about diversity you're mad because at least 6 of these characters happen to be better than the other 20 in the game. That's just game design. It is insanely unlikely to have a perfectly balanced game even if there's only two characters if they're even remotely different. The worst case scenario with Smash is literally everyone uses Fox because he is the technical best character in the game, but since that level of play is near impossible to attain we get to see characters like Luigi, Yoshi, Pikachu, Ice Climbers, and Captain Falcon also tearing up the bracket.

I have no idea what you want. Some characters are better than other characters and the higher up the bracket you get the more obvious that becomes. If seven out of eight players using different characters isn't good enough for you, go to EVO and prove the world that you've tapped into Bowser's secret potential and that every character is created with equal love and care.

He doesn't want anything, he's a troll. Jeez people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kaubocks posted:

I still think it hasn't quite hit him that there are 8 players in the top 8.

• Locked thread