Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

you are assuming a dms existed. a workflow system was integrated into the email thing but that's about it.

an engineer in quality control rolled his own dms to track critical issues and it was so effective it was used site wide. then hq found out about it, said they were going to implement it company wide, and proceeded to turn it over to the internal software folks who then stripped out all of the useful features and flexibility that made it so effective in the first place.

Oh and relocated the server to Korea so we couldn't touch it and had to be logged into a slow as balls vpn to use. which is a problem when the best way to document a problem is 130mb of raw photos or an hd video showing a robot exhibiting bad movement due to a failed bearing. and those photos and videos had to be embedded into a word doc because .tif and .mpeg weren't supported file types (remember I said they removed the flexibility?).

Samsung, with over 40,000 software engineers, ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Shifty Pony posted:

you are assuming a dms existed. a workflow system was integrated into the email thing but that's about it.

an engineer in quality control rolled his own dms to track critical issues and it was so effective it was used site wide. then hq found out about it, said they were going to implement it company wide, and proceeded to turn it over to the internal software folks who then stripped out all of the useful features and flexibility that made it so effective in the first place.

Oh and relocated the server to Korea so we couldn't touch it and had to be logged into a slow as balls vpn to use. which is a problem when the best way to document a problem is 130mb of raw photos or an hd video showing a robot exhibiting bad movement due to a failed bearing. and those photos and videos had to be embedded into a word doc because .tif and .mpeg weren't supported file types (remember I said they removed the flexibility?).
what the christ what is this brain damage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what the christ what is this brain damage

an organization where people are afraid to tell a senior manager they're wrong

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

isnt that just the standard "korea is never wrong" attitude inside samsung that keeps gifting us with unending streams of poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shifty Pony posted:

I love these stories, keep them coming. every once in a while I come across a Samsung job posting and even though it looks good on paper I tell myself that it must be a clusterfuck and I would hate it there. glad to see I was right

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nintendo Kid posted:

firefox isnt based on dumbass webkit

why would the main rendering engine handle image rendering anyway. wouldnt that be delegated to whatever the gif equivalent of libpng is or whatever.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
WebKit was very bad at gifs for a long time. they fixed it in safari a while ago but apparently chrome didn't pick up those changes.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it's 2015 and google chrome can't display gifs

ufarn
May 30, 2009
they loving pulled another android http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...08a1c1055694458

goober is coming

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Mozilla Seamonkey ftw

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

were sorry, we know many of u lowed Goober, but Goober gotta go on April 19, 2020, despite having a devoted fanatics. until then you have time to take your belongings from google takeout and your favourite drivers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I thought there was this unspoken agreement that if you're a board member you're supposed to do nothing and take your money

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

kalstrams posted:

were sorry, we know many of u lowed Goober, but Goober gotta go on April 19, 2020, despite having a devoted fanatics. until then you have time to take your belongings from google takeout and your favourite drivers

aw man the day before 4/20/20?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

kalstrams posted:

sounds like a wall-e prequel tbqh

ufarn
May 30, 2009

qirex posted:

I thought there was this unspoken agreement that if you're a board member you're supposed to do nothing and take your money
no you see when google first did this with apple and android, they learned how much money could be ahahahahahaha

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ufarn posted:

sounds like a wall-e prequel tbqh
all i know about walle is its looks and that it's fictional robot

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

kalstrams posted:

all i know about walle is its looks and that it's fictional robot

it's our hellish dystopian future, you should actually watch it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
"2300 AD: today we are discontinuing google earth"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ufarn posted:

"2300 AD: today we are discontinuing google earth"
speaking about that, you can get pro for free now

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qirex posted:

an organization where people are afraid to tell a senior manager they're wrong

this is 100% true of japan as well, in case any of y'all were thinking about like buying a car or something anytime soon

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i love that google is competing with their own companies they have investments in. gonna be great for larry's plan to be the next warren buffett

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

i love that google is competing with their own companies they have investments in. gonna be great for larry's plan to be the next warren buffett

cremnob how's it feel to be so wrong all the time

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

also i hope google buys tesla for 25 billion dollars

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
tesla might be worth 25 billion, what'd facebook pay for whatsapp again?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cremnob posted:

a berkshire hathaway-branded ice cream shop and dialysis center would be p rad I guess

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

cremnob posted:

i love that google

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

a berkshire hathaway-branded ice cream shop and dialysis center would be p rad I guess

that shop would probably have the best ice cream tha tyou've ever tasted

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

try me, I live in a dairy farming state

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

pop quiz hoit shot whatrs better: salt and straw on larchmont or scoops on heliotrope ?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Smythe posted:

pop quiz hoit shot whatrs better: salt and straw on larchmont or scoops on heliotrope ?

gently caress portland and their imports

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

gently caress portland and their imports

agr33d

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ufarn posted:

they loving pulled another android http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...08a1c1055694458

goober is coming

holy poo poo, this is amazing. I love seeing Travis get hosed and hope uber disintegrates leaving him with nothing.

cremnob posted:

it turns out you can't trust google even when they have money on the line. this should go really well for their future partnerships.

cremnob posted:

also i hope google buys tesla for 25 billion dollars

as much as I want to se google blow a ton of money for no reason, I'd rather they not kill tesla if only because it's the only American car company that isn't garbage.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

"uber blog posted:

Uber and Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) are announcing today a strategic partnership that includes the creation of the Uber Advanced Technologies Center in Pittsburgh, near the CMU campus. The center will focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.

The partnership will provide a forum for Uber technology leaders to work closely with CMU faculty, staff, and students — both on campus and at the National Robotics Engineering Center (NREC) — to do research and development, primarily in the areas of mapping and vehicle safety and autonomy technology.

The post is ambiguous about whether they'll be working on rape-bots as well, stay tuned.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The Management posted:

holy poo poo, this is amazing. I love seeing Travis get hosed and hope uber disintegrates leaving him with nothing.

I dont think Travis Bickle even drives for Uber op

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ufarn posted:

goober is coming

whoever loses, we win

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
apparenlty youtube now sends emails by default when a channel you have subsribed uploads a new video. i clicked on the link to change notification settings and it had "send me updates occasionally" on for my last two subscribed channels.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Wheany posted:

apparenlty youtube now sends emails by default when a channel you have subsribed uploads a new video. i clicked on the link to change notification settings and it had "send me updates occasionally" on for my last two subscribed channels.

oh nice, the meetup model where you have two disable each thing you follow individually.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Uber is personally trolling Tori lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Get Google Earth Pro for free

The Pro version of everyone's favorite virtual globe used to cost $399 -- per year! Now it's free. Freeeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
x postin

• Locked thread