Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rubies posted:

Bummer... Thanks tho at least I know now!

I asked my dispatcher wife to plug sba into her computer and she said the a320 would be "no sweat". fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

two_beer_bishes posted:

I asked my dispatcher wife to plug sba into her computer and she said the a320 would be "no sweat". fwiw

Longest runway is 6052ft. Seems tight for bigger aircraft, but it should be doable under certain weather and weights.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
:negative: I'm still confused... two beer does she usually run the numbers as an empty plane or would she factor in the 150 people on a full flight plus they luggage? Sorry if I'm being a pain in the balls btw not trying to poo poo up the thread with my dumb questions :shobon:.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Rubies posted:

:negative: I'm still confused... two beer does she usually run the numbers as an empty plane or would she factor in the 150 people on a full flight plus they luggage? Sorry if I'm being a pain in the balls btw not trying to poo poo up the thread with my dumb questions :shobon:.

She said it wouldn't go as a full flight but that it wouldn't be heavily restricted either. It wouldn't make it to the east coast without stopping somewhere for fuel, but the san diego flight needs to stop once in a while too depending on the wind.

Edit: numbers were computed with a wet runway so even contaminated wouldn't be a huge factor.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 31, 2015

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

I can't believe they take 73x into EYW. Runway 9/27 - 4801 x 100 ft. / 1463 x 30 m

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AWSEFT posted:

I can't believe they take 73x into EYW. Runway 9/27 - 4801 x 100 ft. / 1463 x 30 m

I took off as a passenger on a Delta 757 on Reagan's Runway 33 (5204 ft) once because of strong winds making Runway 1 unusable.

I was fully aware of what a freak of nature the 757 is, but even then :stonk:.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

I took off as a passenger on a Delta 757 on Reagan's Runway 33 (5204 ft) once because of strong winds making Runway 1 unusable.

I think being a GA pilot has some disadvantages when flying commercially. I tend to be a little bit too aware of what is going on with the airplane and I get concerned about things like (what I perceive to be) low airspeed and high angle of attack (3407 was in my neck of the woods) for example.

Recently I was on a flight departing Catania, Italy and we took off to the east, putting us over the sea almost immediately. We were at maybe 1500 or 2000 feet when the engines were suddenly throttled back alarmingly low, and you could feel the deceleration resulting from the change. At the same time the plane banked hard to the left and was no longer climbing. I've never in my life thought something was wrong with a plane on takeoff but that time I really did. I thought we were making the impossible 180, and it looked like we'd be making a water landing for sure.

But we just sort of held our altitude for a little while, the turn leveling out on a northerly track, and eventually the engines throttled back up and the flight progressed like any other. I am still not sure what that was about, but I am guessing it is some sort of very aggressive noise abatement routine.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Maybe some restriction because of Sigonella being nearby? I've flown out of there many times visiting family and never had to do that, sounds terrifying tho. Even tho working for an airline has shown me just how safe aviation is and how strictly safety guidelines are followed I'll always be scared on takeoff.

Anyway thanks for the help with the Santa Barbara stuff, doubt JB is gonna go there if it's that iffy. I might just apply at another airline there even if I lose 7 years seniority :(

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't think it had anything to do with Sigonella given the geography involved (taking off from Catania Fontanarossa eastward over the sea and then turning left towards the north and Milan). Sigonella is southwest of Catania Fontanarossa.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

MD-80s can give quite a ride too. Was that a static take off?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

DNova posted:

But we just sort of held our altitude for a little while, the turn leveling out on a northerly track, and eventually the engines throttled back up and the flight progressed like any other. I am still not sure what that was about, but I am guessing it is some sort of very aggressive noise abatement routine.

Perhaps some kind of noise abatement procedure?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't imagine Santa Barbara ever having the traffic to have JetBlue regardless of runway length.

They still operate motor coach service to lax because it's just not that far.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Last Spring UA switched from the 744 to 777 for LAX-SYD. That was my first time doing a 7500nm trip on a 777 and I during the takeoff roll I wondered for a minute if we were just going to overrun onto Pershing Dr. I feel like we finally lifted off with almost no runway left and cleared the beach at less than a hundred feet.

That entire climb-out was scary. I was in row 9 I think right ahead of an engine and those things were screaming until we started to level off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Don't modern airliners take into account the length of the runway they're using to calculate the necessary amount of thrust for takeoff, instead of going balls to the wall every single time? I heard that somewhere at some point, which could explain the longer-than-strictly-necessary takeoff runs.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Don't modern airliners take into account the length of the runway they're using to calculate the necessary amount of thrust for takeoff, instead of going balls to the wall every single time? I heard that somewhere at some point, which could explain the longer-than-strictly-necessary takeoff runs.

Pretty sure takeoff thrust is takeoff thrust. You wouldn't want an engine to fail between V1 and Vr and not have the other at max power.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jealous Cow posted:

Pretty sure takeoff thrust is takeoff thrust. You wouldn't want an engine to fail between V1 and Vr and not have the other at max power.

Reduced-thrust takeoffs are a common thing. Engines are loving expensive, and they don't fail often.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Most airliners use a reduced power setting for takeoff most of the time, since it saves a significant amount of wear on the engines, in addition to burning less fuel and being quieter than simply using full power.

In the event of an engine failure on modern airliners, the good engine will automatically go to a higher power setting to offset the loss of thrust, and some airplanes are even set up to automatically add rudder towards the good engine to make the event less exciting for the pilots.

The Q400's I fly actually have a button that allows a reduced power setting on takeoff, but since the engines are already massively derated for that airframe, the reduced power setting doesn't save any money on fuel or maintenance, so we never use it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
"Caution Wake Turbulence"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EwvDTJeNs

quote:

The pilot in this video was not hurt critically; he had some scrapes and bruises, was shook up, but basically came out of it in good condition. I spoke with him yesterday and he was happy to share his experience for the good of safety. This event took place at a non-controlled airport.

In the video, you can see that a Cirrus SR-20G2 aircraft was flipped on final by a Blackhawk helicopter’s downwash. The pilot of the Cirrus said that as soon as he realized that he was in turbulence he went to full power with ailerons and rudder full right, but to no avail, the turbulence forced him over and the wing tip struck the runway.

The Cirrus was on left downwind, heading South and about to turn base for a full stop landing, the helicopter was on the numbers. The helicopter pilot departed to the North, he also side-stepped to the parallel taxiway to get out of the fix-wing’s way. The winds were about 3kts at the time. What is truly remarkable is that the event happened ~28 seconds after the helicopter departed (the turbulence was still there).

While speaking with the pilot of the Cirrus he said that there was another similar incident a few years ago here in Colorado, he is sending me info on that and I will pass it on as well. In that situation a very high time Air Force Instructor pilot departed in a Diamond 20 and encountered the same issue, only it was ~75 seconds after the Black hawk had departed and was at 40ft on departure. I believe both in the Diamond were ok then as well.

Please pass this video on to others and discuss it with your students and fellow pilots.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is the Denver bump still the term for the above normal power rated takeoff procedure?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Same idea in Addis Ababa which is at an elevation of nearly 8000'. I think when we rotated I looked out the window and saw the 1000' markers on the departure end of the runway going by :stare:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I thought YYC was pretty high at 3500'... we certainly have noticeably longer takeoff runs, and our new runway is the longest in Canada, largely because of the altitude.

Taking off from Addis Ababa or La Paz or any place like that has got to be a rather interesting experience.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If any of you goons are ever in Colorado and want to go to KLXV, the highest airport in North America, I'd be happy to take you.

They even give you a little certificate.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Rickety Cricket posted:

Same idea in Addis Ababa which is at an elevation of nearly 8000'. I think when we rotated I looked out the window and saw the 1000' markers on the departure end of the runway going by :stare:

I took off in a Comanche 250 out of Angel Fire one day when it was below freezing. KAXX

Took off 17.

We rotated at the piano keys.

Of runway 35.

We did everything right. All the calculations. Below freezing day, not even full fuel and just two of us.

The thing that hurt us the most was the wind was a direct crosswind coming off the mountain and essentially useless.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

I took off in a Comanche 250 out of Angel Fire one day when it was below freezing. KAXX

Took off 17.

Of runway 35.

We did everything right. All the calculations. Below freezing day, not even full fuel and just two of us.

The thing that hurt us the most was the wind was a direct crosswind coming off the mountain and essentially useless.

The poo poo we read about in the books actually has real world application! :circlefap: :circlefap: :circlefap:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

azflyboy posted:

Most airliners use a reduced power setting for takeoff most of the time, since it saves a significant amount of wear on the engines, in addition to burning less fuel and being quieter than simply using full power.

Like all things, that depends on a lot of factors and indeed the aircraft itself. For a lot of aircraft, yes you will use less fuel on the takeoff roll itself, but if you continue on a derated climb schedule you will burn more fuel by top-of-climb than if you just used a standard climb power setting. That said, the savings in maintenance in this case can more than offset the increase in total fuel burn, because it usually isn't a huge difference.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

e.pilot posted:

If any of you goons are ever in Colorado and want to go to KLXV, the highest airport in North America, I'd be happy to take you.

They even give you a little certificate.

This is on my GA bucket list.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Arcella posted:

Same here. Courcheval would be awesome too but that's a lot less likely for me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arcella posted:

DNova posted:

Same here. Courcheval would be awesome too but that's a lot less likely for me.

Come on out, we can get beers and burgs at Perfect Landing afterwards.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Are there pre-requisites to taking the CFII written? Someone suggested with all the info still fresh in my mind I should get that one out of the way. Took a practice exam and scored a 94% so I'm thinking maybe he's right - that's assuming I can take it. I've been flipping through Part 61 but don't see anything about prereqs for a written exam.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hobbesmaster posted:

MD-80s can give quite a ride too. Was that a static take off?

I think it was. It was a bit of a rollercoaster ride because they turned immediately right, then back left to join the Potomac.

e- The quality's not great because I had to get the camera rolling, the camera itself, and the turbulence, but here's how it looked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTW602DuLfA

I've experienced a static takeoff on an MD-88, too, actually. It was at DAB on 16 in July 2-3 years ago when 7L/25R was closed for heavy repairs. Certainly got the good out of the available takeoff distance.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 2, 2015

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

MrChips posted:

Like all things, that depends on a lot of factors and indeed the aircraft itself. For a lot of aircraft, yes you will use less fuel on the takeoff roll itself, but if you continue on a derated climb schedule you will burn more fuel by top-of-climb than if you just used a standard climb power setting. That said, the savings in maintenance in this case can more than offset the increase in total fuel burn, because it usually isn't a huge difference.

According to a check airman I know, the nerds engineers at GE say a single normal thrust takeoff puts about as much wear and tear on the engine as ~40 reduced thrust takeoffs. The fuel savings are fairly minor as we're normally in T.O. thrust for 2 minutes per flight and it's only a few percentage points of FF reduction.

Captain Apollo posted:

We did everything right.

I think you may want to take a second to ponder the mutual exclusivity of those statements.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

KodiakRS posted:

I think you may want to take a second to ponder the mutual exclusivity of those statements.

Apollo? Look critically at HIS OWN actions? Never!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rickety Cricket posted:

Are there pre-requisites to taking the CFII written? Someone suggested with all the info still fresh in my mind I should get that one out of the way. Took a practice exam and scored a 94% so I'm thinking maybe he's right - that's assuming I can take it. I've been flipping through Part 61 but don't see anything about prereqs for a written exam.

I took the instrument, CFII and ground instrument instructor in the same hour. Go for it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Double post because I want to talk about *~me~*

Had my first flight in the lear 60 the other day and I freaking love it. So much power in that takeoff, I couldn't stop smiling.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I thought there was an air travel megathread but I don't see it anymore. I have a question that is undeniably better suited for that thread, though.

A friend of mine bought an insured ticket through delta for a trip she can no longer take. None of the reasons for refund listed in the site really match her circumstances, so I was hoping someone here would known if it was even possible to obtain a refund and how to go about it.

(if someone knows where the air travel thread is and links it I'll cross post there, I know this isn't exactly the right place for this question)

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
She can change the ticket to use it at a later date if she's willing to pay the change fee... If it's a non-refundable fare, then the insurance company would really be her only other option.
So in my news, I need to build time as fast as I can, I've got my company interview mid march... and it looks now like I'm on reserve all next week and then with my vacation it's gonna be 5 weeks before I touch an airplane again. Fuckkkk my life. I need to find some airplane I can build a bunch of cheap time in. :/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The wonder twins of Sully and Schumer joined the families of Colgan 3407 to try and keep the 1,500 hour rule untouched today.

Has there been enough push back from the industry to get to where this is necessary, or is this political marketing?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
They better not touch it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Wizard of Smart posted:

I thought there was an air travel megathread but I don't see it anymore. I have a question that is undeniably better suited for that thread, though.

A friend of mine bought an insured ticket through delta for a trip she can no longer take. None of the reasons for refund listed in the site really match her circumstances, so I was hoping someone here would known if it was even possible to obtain a refund and how to go about it.

(if someone knows where the air travel thread is and links it I'll cross post there, I know this isn't exactly the right place for this question)

Here ya go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

The wonder twins of Sully and Schumer joined the families of Colgan 3407 to try and keep the 1,500 hour rule untouched today.

Has there been enough push back from the industry to get to where this is necessary, or is this political marketing?

For the time being, it looks like the regional carriers are smart enough not to publicly call for a repeal of the ATP rule, but I'd be surprised if they aren't trying to do an end-run around it somehow.

Since Congress only specified that airline FO's must have an ATP (but didn't specify what the requirements are to get said ATP), I wouldn't be surprised to see lobbying efforts to expand the restricted ATP program (by allowing smaller part 141 schools to participate), and if this "pilot shortage" continues, regionals may look at setting up ab initio programs (similar to what Asian carriers use), since that would give them a steady supply of pilots who would be chained to the airline for a few years by massive training contracts.

The fact that regionals could also use ab initio programs as an excuse to keep pay low ("We just spent $150k training you, why should we have to pay a living wage?") would also make them attractive, but the cost of setting up the programs may be a hard sell for shareholders and management who care about nothing longer term than "did we make a profit this quarter?".

• Locked thread