Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eddain posted:

Uh, why is there a fairy in Bravely Second?

To play with the player's expectations. This time it will be a good fairy pretending to be an evil fairy

Also, were those some new summons shown in that trailer? I hope so, because I really liked their designs in BD and would like to see more modern vehicles that double as fantasy monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nuebot posted:

But yeah, a game's soundtrack is super important to me. I just always found that FF music tends to be very samey and, well, very much background music that just tends to be forgettable. Meanwhile I find the soundtracks to most SMT games, especially the PS2 era ones, to be really memorable and NIER still tops my lists. I actually bought that soundtrack.

I've probably said it before but I think Ace Attorney is the best example of how impactful sound can be in games, especially the older AA games have fairly minimal visuals but the quality and timing of all the music and sound effects (including silence) is done so well that they manage to make the courtroom feel like the raddest place in the world.

I'd definitely play Ace Attorney Theatrhythm.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanfy posted:

I've probably said it before but I think Ace Attorney is the best example of how impactful sound can be in games, especially the older AA games have fairly minimal visuals but the quality and timing of all the music and sound effects (including silence) is done so well that they manage to make the courtroom feel like the raddest place in the world.

I'd definitely play Ace Attorney Theatrhythm.

I still need to play the AA series, I've heard good things about them but just never got around to it. Which one should I start with? My only experience with the series is seeing the whole "Objection!" thing done to death.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nuebot posted:

I still need to play the AA series, I've heard good things about them but just never got around to it. Which one should I start with? My only experience with the series is seeing the whole "Objection!" thing done to death.

Start from the beginning. The first three games form a trilogy that's available on DS, iOS, and (I think?) as a package deal on 3DS. The DS or 3DS versions are the way to go.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nuebot posted:

All the mainline games are pretty much meant to be played in order and if you're interested in them, the two Investigations spin-offs (the second and also better one was never released in the west but has a high quality fan translation) can be played at pretty much any point after finishing the original trilogy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

FF1's story is pretty much go to x to kill y with an 11th hour twist that doesn't change much of anything. Gameplay is pretty fun if you play the modern versions, NES original is an absolute chore and sadistic as hell in the ice cavern.

FF1 is one of my favorites. Not just because it was the first one I played but because I can retroactively go back and see just how much of an AD&D rip off Final Fantasy was in the old days. It is the only game that isn't D&D branded that has that style of spell system and just look at this (they changed the sprite in the american version):

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eddain posted:

Not all fairies in Bravely Default are psychopaths. The one who first revived Tiz and entreated the player to save everyone in BD's intro was Airy's sister, who'd grown a little tired of her poo poo.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 2, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rutibex posted:

FF1 is one of my favorites. Not just because it was the first one I played but because I can retroactively go back and see just how much of an AD&D rip off Final Fantasy was in the old days. It is the only game that isn't D&D branded that has that style of spell system and just look at this (they changed the sprite in the american version):

Wasn't it supposed to be a D&D game or something like that?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Eddain posted:

Hopefully it's so they have an excuse to make more kickass music.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I've been playing Final Fantasy X-2, it's funny how much it "feels" like Final Fantasy 13. Better in so many ways, but still you can see where they were going with the series.

And thanks for spoiling the Bravely Default twist :colbert:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To play with the player's expectations. This time it will be a good fairy pretending to be an evil fairy

Also, were those some new summons shown in that trailer? I hope so, because I really liked their designs in BD and would like to see more modern vehicles that double as fantasy monsters.

I'm pretty sure one of them was Girtablublu, but the train spewing chains looked like a summon, and was definitely different from Promethean Fire.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Eddain posted:

Fairies are a trademark of the series?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm pretty sure one of them was Girtablublu, but the train spewing chains looked like a summon, and was definitely different from Promethean Fire.

Well I mean, the Ba'als are all weird party monsters made of poo poo from the 'Celestial Realm' so I wouldn't be shocked to see the players fighting the summons since they're kind of the same thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I started FFX HD and while everyone in this thread is right about how awful Yuna's VA is, the annoying parts I had forgotten were how long the tutorial is (5 hours to 13's 20 hours but still, a pain) and how unnecessary some of Tidus' narration is. That was the moment when you realized you might not make it back to Zanarkand? Thanks for the heads up Tidus, we all realized that 30 minutes ago when someone else implied it. Oh you just now realized you might have feelings for Yuna? I hadn't noticed all your awkward flirting for the last 6 hours. You had a bad feeling about Seymore? Good thing I wasn't paying attention when there was all the ominous music any time he walked on screen and I (and everyone in the game) didn't notice his Aeon looks more nightmarish than Sin.

The game is still really good though.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 2, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It blows my mind that I didn't notice Wakka's voice is very clearly Bender.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
You can definitely hear it in his laugh everytime.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

triplexpac posted:

It blows my mind that I didn't notice Wakka's voice is very clearly Bender.

He's also Kimahri!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
It's a shame Auron's voice actor didn't do much else because he just nailed it in FFX.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

I started FFX HD and while everyone in this thread is right about how awful Yuna's VA is, the annoying parts I had forgotten were how long the tutorial is (5 hours to 13's 20 hours

Being linear doesn't mean the first 20 hours are a tutorial. By hour 6 or 7 at the latest you have some control over how your characters are developing and can make Paradigms.

If you want to bring up the forced party composition aspect, let's consider that you couldn't choose your party members at any point in the original release of FF4.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm playing through Final Fantasy X-2 with a FAQ and I'm impressed with how many hidden things are in the game so far.

Like you play 20 minutes of the game and then it unlocks the world map menu. It highlights the one place you should go next to progress the storyline, but the FAQ outlines all these hidden quests and stuff I would have never found otherwise.

At the time I didn't like Final Fantasy X or X-2 because I wanted a world map like in all the other FF games. But going back to X-2 after playing XIII, I really appreciate it more.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Being linear doesn't mean the first 20 hours are a tutorial. By hour 6 or 7 at the latest you have some control over how your characters are developing and can make Paradigms.

If you want to bring up the forced party composition aspect, let's consider that you couldn't choose your party members at any point in the original release of FF4.

I'm not really talking about the party stuff. FF10 still does "here is how basic mechanics of the game work" up until the 5th or 6th hour when it finally explains blitzball and unlocks. I don't really care to argue about how much FF13 is tutorial, its main problem is that it's not a good game anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

get one of the snes hacks that makes evade in ff6 actually work. thats the only bug you'll really be affected negatively by in normal gameplay.

On one hand, it's nice to have Evade work, but on the other, you can't stack 128 Magic Evasion if you have to split between it and regular Evasion iirc.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

On one hand, it's nice to have Evade work, but on the other, you can't stack 128 Magic Evasion if you have to split between it and regular Evasion iirc.

I think one or two characters have the right equips and base stats to pull it off, but I could be wrong (and don't remember which ones do).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
When you have an Illumina and Paladin shield you don't have to worry about evade that much.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Right now in my FFX playthrough I'm in the calm lands so

And since I'm really close to needing to for penance what's the best way to farm Gil/spheres to max stats

I already know about the overdrive to ap and fighting that guy in the arena to get 40 power/whatever spheres, how do I get the extra spheres I need to max all my stats efficiently

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

When you have an Illumina and Paladin shield you don't have to worry about evade that much.

Yeah but by then the game is mostly over.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Right now in my FFX playthrough I'm in the calm lands so

And since I'm really close to needing to for penance what's the best way to farm Gil/spheres to max stats

I already know about the overdrive to ap and fighting that guy in the arena to get 40 power/whatever spheres, how do I get the extra spheres I need to max all my stats efficiently

Before getting the airship, I think the best way is farming SOS Overdrive weapons outside the Sunken Cave, which sell for a good amount of Gil. Post-airship, it mostly involves customization, either making weapons to sell for more then their component parts, or customizing Gillionaire onto something and fighting Mimics in the Omega Ruins.

For spheres, it depends on the version. HD, the abilities that convert drops into specific sphere types are the best method. Otherwise, I think the methods mostly involve fighting particular enemies in the Arena.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

I'm not really talking about the party stuff. FF10 still does "here is how basic mechanics of the game work" up until the 5th or 6th hour when it finally explains blitzball and unlocks. I don't really care to argue about how much FF13 is tutorial, its main problem is that it's not a good game anyway.

I'm not arguing whether it's a good game or not either, but saying it has 20 hours of tutorial is just misguided. By hour 7 or 8 (much less if you skip cutscenes) you can mess around with crafting and start deciding who is rushing which Role Levels, you can make Paradigms, you know about Eidolons, you know about Staggering and Buffs and Debuffs, etc. That's all the "game" there is to it, and nobody takes 20 hours to get to that point. That's all I was saying.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I might just be vastly misremembering the time it took me to get there in my last play through of FFX, but does it really take five to six hours to get to Luca, and learn about blitzball? I don't really count that as a basic mechanic though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am okay with not having all of a final fantasy game's features dumped on me within the first hour or two of game play. It isn't always done right, but often times it feels more fun to gradually unlock new features and master them as you go along. I thought that FF X's pace was great. XIII was fine too but not quite as well done as X.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I might just be vastly misremembering the time it took me to get there in my last play through of FFX, but does it really take five to six hours to get to Luca, and learn about blitzball? I don't really count that as a basic mechanic though.

The opening cutscenes out of zanarkand take about a half hour or so, then you're at remiem temple for about a half hour, then you spend about half an hour with rikku, then you have to do all of the stuff in besaid including the temple and all the cutscenes so that's about two hours or so, then you go to kilika and fight the numerous boss battles there and do kilika temple as well which is probably around two hours

So yeah

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Another way to look at it is that these games have multiple relatively short tutorials rather than measuring "the tutorial" as the time you start a new game until the end of the very last tutorial offered. At least, that is how I always perceived it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

I'm not arguing whether it's a good game or not either, but saying it has 20 hours of tutorial is just misguided. By hour 7 or 8 (much less if you skip cutscenes) you can mess around with crafting and start deciding who is rushing which Role Levels, you can make Paradigms, you know about Eidolons, you know about Staggering and Buffs and Debuffs, etc. That's all the "game" there is to it, and nobody takes 20 hours to get to that point. That's all I was saying.

On the other hand, by hour 1 of FF6 you are on the world map and have pretty much all the gameplay mechanics in hand. The only one that's late is Espers.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

The opening cutscenes out of zanarkand take about a half hour or so, then you're at remiem temple for about a half hour, then you spend about half an hour with rikku, then you have to do all of the stuff in besaid including the temple and all the cutscenes so that's about two hours or so, then you go to kilika and fight the numerous boss battles there and do kilika temple as well which is probably around two hours

So yeah

Dang. It felt like it was a lot shorter than that, but I guess it was that long with the cutscenes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

True, that's fair. It's been a while, I just remember feeling like it was tutorial until Pulse and then realizing that no, that was the whole game really. And as you pointed out, early games worked in a fairly similar manner.

corn in the bible posted:

On the other hand, by hour 1 of FF6 you are on the world map and have pretty much all the gameplay mechanics in hand. The only one that's late is Espers.

All the SNES and early games were like that with jobs taking a little bit longer in 5 and Espers taking a while in 6. 1-4 more or less dumped you out in a few minutes and let you figure out the game systems yourself.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 2, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's really dumb to measure the time-til-tutorial-ends based on Blitzball, though. It's akin to saying that FF7 doesn't take the training wheels off until after the snowboarding sequence or something.

When most people talk about about FF13 being all tutorial, they're talking about how incredibly restricted your party construction and character build options are until Chapter 11, which I think is a pretty valid complaint and mechanically is probably equitable to around the Battle of Narshe/espers and Zozo bit in FF6 or getting to the world map in FF7, both of which are like a third or less into their respective games instead of over 2/3rds.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Just to be clear ffx has extraordinarily well done pacing, probably the best of any ff game tbh, so none of it feels like hand-holding or training wheels stuff outside of maybe the very early stuff in besaid when they show you how wakka and lulus abilities are useful and that's like maybe ten minutes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Toxxupation posted:

Just to be clear ffx has extraordinarily well done pacing, probably the best of any ff game tbh, so none of it feels like hand-holding or training wheels stuff outside of maybe the very early stuff in besaid when they show you how wakka and lulus abilities are useful and that's like maybe ten minutes

They still do this stuff right up until the you leave Luca when you get Auron, which is why I feel like it's the end of any tutorial stuff (along with unlock spheres). The first battle introduces you to piercing damage, which is odd since you already have a character who does it with normal attacks.

Like I said though, it's not a bad thing. The only irritating part of it to me is Lulu yelling at Yuna to let "the guardians handle this" anytime she attacks when Yuna has a higher magic stat. This happens until after Luca too. God forbid I have Yuna lancet an enemy for more MP, Lulu.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 2, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What's the best way to plot out maxing stats on ESG, guys, any tips (ed: I don't mean how to do it, I inow that I'm saying how to plan out the esg so you max everyone's stats in a way that's the most intelligent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zombies' Downfall posted:

When most people talk about about FF13 being all tutorial, they're talking about how incredibly restricted your party construction and character build options are until Chapter 11

I suppose this might be a bad thing on a second playthrough or in retrospect, but if you go into it not knowing any better why would you dock it points for doing the same thing that FF4, one of the most beloved titles in the series, did? FF4 is just as linear as FF13, despite the illusion of freedom granted by the first and second airships, and certainly has far more character customization items with the Equipment and Paradigm systems.

I mean there are a lot of reasons to dislike FF13 but I have never felt like the "you walk in a straight line for 20 hours" argument ever held much water since it applies to at least half the numbered FF games to some degree or other. You can't really do any exploration in FF10 until the very last chapter either, unless you like absolutely batshit insane backtracking. FF7 opens up a bit earlier but there's still like 12 hours of "follow the Sephiroth" and I don't know why people forget how tedious that game is.