Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Also, NPR revisited the surströmming story again. It reminds me that I need to get some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I actually dislike the standard Japanese D handle. I'm a lefty, if your knife has a 50/50 grind, put a drat octagonal handle on it. Its drat expensive to have my stuff rehandled.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I actually dislike the standard Japanese D handle. I'm a lefty, if your knife has a 50/50 grind, put a drat octagonal handle on it. Its drat expensive to have my stuff rehandled.

You hate it because its not meant for you lol. Get a left hand D

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, the D handles are not set up for lefties, the octagonal and oval ones are what I stick with and I'm a righty. However I would argue that the octagonal handle is more standard than the D ones, you see way more of them than D or oval handles.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Left handed people are weird and should not be trusted.

Fake edit: My son is left handed and I don't even trust him. :colbert:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
My D fits in whichever hand you prefer

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

My corn meal in the pantry turned into something very much unlike corn meal. drat, I guess I need to use it more often.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

nuru posted:

My corn meal in the pantry turned into something very much unlike corn meal. drat, I guess I need to use it more often.

By chickpea flour and make socca! We have made it about four times since first trying it on Tuesday. It's so drat good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hi! Come help me do a cookbook data thing!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

therattle posted:

By chickpea flour and make socca! We have made it about four times since first trying it on Tuesday. It's so drat good.

Yes! I make socca all the time. It's my favorite hummus accompaniment, as well, and that's something I eat a lot of. Also good with baba ghanoush, chutneys, pesto, salsa, whatever. It is definitely best when hot from the frying pan, though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yes! I make socca all the time. It's my favorite hummus accompaniment, as well, and that's something I eat a lot of. Also good with baba ghanoush, chutneys, pesto, salsa, whatever. It is definitely best when hot from the frying pan, though.

Yeah, it's hugely versatile. We've done it in the pan and the oven and I prefer pan. It's so easy yet so good. Cheap and nutritious too. Excellent effort:reward ratio.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Left handed people are weird and should not be trusted.

Fake edit: My son is left handed and I don't even trust him. :colbert:

I guess you could even say they are sinister.

(sinister etymology: late Middle English (in the sense ‘malicious, underhanded’): from Old French sinistre or Latin sinister ‘left.’)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

GrAviTy84 posted:

You hate it because its not meant for you lol. Get a left hand D

Well yeah, obviously. Except a lot of knife makers just don't do lefty D's. e: or just charge an arbitrary $50 more because my handedness is cooler than most people's.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

So a co-worker just brought me back a grip of dried chiles from Houston...pasillas, pequin, anchos, cascabel, and japones. Figure I can make a pretty bitchin' chili powder?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
What is a 'grip'

Edit: According to gis this is a grip of chile

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 2, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

What is a 'grip'

As much as you can hold in a "grip" of your hand, although usually people use it to refer to a lot more than that.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Ok, thought it was a measure like a Congress of monkeys or a murder of crows.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=a+grip

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm familiar with the term thanks to Ice Cube.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Ha, yeah, sorry guys. They're just little individual packets, a little more than an ounce of each kind, except for the pequin, since they're just little guys. Quarter ounce of those.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

esperantinc posted:

So a co-worker just brought me back a grip of dried chiles from Houston...pasillas, pequin, anchos, cascabel, and japones. Figure I can make a pretty bitchin' chili powder?

Mole. MOLE!

Teaching a vegetarian to break up chicken wings: priceless.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Mole. MOLE!

Teaching a vegetarian to break up chicken wings: priceless.

This is what I came here to post. Mole mole mole mole mAKE MOLE DO IT.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I'm surprised urban dictionary didn't define it as some depraved sex move

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I'm surprised urban dictionary didn't define it as some depraved sex move

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gripping&defid=5219251

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Hey everyone.

I'm an honorary regular, initiated by someone whose name and handle I have entirely forgotten. So take this poo poo seriously.

My brother is a grass farmer in northeast Ohio. He raises beef, chicken, turkey, and pork.

It's all- around ethically sound.

Give him a looksie.

https://www.facebook.com/premiumpasturedmeats

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

No thanks.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Rationale posted:

Give him a looksie.

Why?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Rationale posted:

He raises cows, chicken, turkey, and pigs.

ftfy

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Rationale posted:

Hey everyone.

that is a good title you have there

please tell me how you got it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31127704

quote:

A US senator has suggested that restaurants should not have to make their employees wash their hands after toilet visits.

Senator Thom Tillis, a North Carolina Republican, made the comments on Monday during a speech criticising business regulations.

"Let them decide" such issues, the newly elected lawmaker said.

His argument was that restaurants which did not require workers to wash their hands would quickly go out of business.

"But I think it's good to illustrate the point, that that's the sort of mentality we need to have to reduce the regulatory burden on this country," Mr Tillis said.

He suggested that restaurants that did not require hand washing would have to alert customers with prominently displayed signs - itself a regulation.

Mr Tillis stood by his comments when interviewed later at the US Capitol.

"Sometimes there are regulations that maybe we want to set a direction, but then let those who are regulated decide whether or not it makes sense," Mr Tillis told the Associated Press news agency.

"They might pay a huge price," he said, but "they get to make that decision versus government."

The comments come as some Republican presidential hopefuls have questioned vaccine regulations amid a measles outbreak.

At least two hopefuls have said parents are justified in sometimes having their children avoid vaccinations generally required for attending school.

jfc

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
LET THE FREE MARKET DECIDE IF THEY WANT E COLI

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hey, why not? In fact why not just abolish the FDA entirely? The food industry worked well enough back in 1850! :downs:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well it's working fine for measles.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

o hey thermapens are more on sale than I've ever seen them before

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

While we're at it, let's abolish hand hygiene for health care workers, too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Echeveria posted:

While we're at it, let's abolish hand hygiene for health care workers, too.

Ignaz Semmelweis, who was a pioneer of antiseptic procedures/handwashing, was committed to an asylum because his ideas were crazy and it's rude to imply that a gentleman's hands are dirty.

quote:

Despite various publications of results where hand-washing reduced mortality to below 1%, Semmelweis's observations conflicted with the established scientific and medical opinions of the time and his ideas were rejected by the medical community. Some doctors were offended at the suggestion that they should wash their hands and Semmelweis could offer no acceptable scientific explanation for his findings. Semmelweis's practice earned widespread acceptance only years after his death, when Louis Pasteur confirmed the germ theory and Joseph Lister, acting on the French microbiologist's research, practiced and operated, using hygienic methods, with great success. In 1865, Semmelweis was committed to an asylum, where he died at age 47 after being beaten by the guards, only 14 days after he was committed.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Ignaz Semmelweis, who was a pioneer of antiseptic procedures/handwashing, was committed to an asylum because his ideas were crazy and it's rude to imply that a gentleman's hands are dirty.

This biopic would be nominated for an Oscar.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

This biopic would be nominated for an Oscar.

I've heard worse ideas.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well... If you take the cholera vaccine (mandatory for my colleagues, who've all gotten afflicted with autism and self-diagnosed assburger), you will actually gain immunity to e-coli as well (but only for 6 months).

Now the diseases that you Americans decided shouldn't be eradicated anyways, those diseases are kinda mild compared to some of the more serious ones out there (Japanese enchaphilitis, rabies, yellow fever, hep a and b, cholera are the less exotic ones that I am vaccinated against, and then some more dangerous of the exotic ones), do they also decline to vaccinate their children against diseases that will with certainty kill them if they should get them?

What about tetanus? I've seen a guy die from tetanus.

Death from tetanus is about the second saddest thing I've seen, and I guess that is something that you can easily contract in the US as well. Do they want to protect tetanus too?

Or is only the disfiguring ones that they're actively promoting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Yes, the massive burden that is (realistically) thirty seconds of water, 10 mL of soap, and two paper towels.

Also, gently caress you Thom Tillis, spell your god drat name the right way. Thom? Thom??