Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rocksicles posted:

Ask him why he always wears a beanie in public? it does my head in, he's not a lesbian or a hipster.

He's a Canadian and it's called a toque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tell me more about weird canadian names for stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Tell me more about weird canadian names for stuff.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Scyantific posted:

Bummer, Katie Cassidy won't be able to make this year's Dallas Comic-Con Fan Days Expo next Saturday.

On the other hand, Stephen and BARROWMAN! :argh: will be there, so the day is not lost!

If I can get into the Q&A panel I'll definitely ask Amell why they chose not to use the pits to bring him back. Oh, and probably to do the Arrow opening monologue in his Lego voice.

At the con in Portland he did the "something pointier" bit and added that it was funny because of the writing, and all he did was do the lines as serious as usual. They booked him for six hours to do the voice acting and he was done in like 35 minutes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"bada bing, that's how its done kid!"

"Ok Mr. Amell, we're ready for you now..... Mr. Amell..."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cheers.

Also does anyone else find it funny that there is all this bitching about how unrealistic it is for Ollie to not have died/to be brought back but they'd be fine if a magic resurrection bath was in there.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I think the annoyance is more "He's totally dead" -> "Just kidding, he's only kinda hurt, we were just fuckin' with you last time" feels like more of a cop-out than "He's totally dead" -> "We can bring him back to life with this magic resurrection bath that is part of the backstory of the guy who killed him".

People were looking forward to seeing how the show would handle killing off its main character, and were annoyed that they handled it by not actually killing off the main character.

I really don't care either way and am more interested in what people do in his absence/how they react to him coming back :shrug:

JasonRiverwind
Feb 2, 2009
So long as Merlyn doesn't try to make Brick confess before killing him, we should be ok. Leave the crazy flipping to Roy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Any of you who seriously thought the show would kill him off needs to get your head examined.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but they COULD have killed him off, and then have ways to bring him back easily enough, which would have had that wow factor more

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's semantics.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm only sad that they didn't use the Lazarus pits because it could've given us a crazy/evil Ollie that would have to be taken down safely so they could slap the madness out of him. Cue the Flash vs. Arrow redux, with the mind control polarity reversed and now Barry gets to use the lessons he learned against an Ollie that isn't holding back.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McSpanky posted:

I'm only sad that they didn't use the Lazarus pits because it could've given us a crazy/evil Ollie that would have to be taken down safely so they could slap the madness out of him. Cue the Flash vs. Arrow redux, with the mind control polarity reversed and now Barry gets to use the lessons he learned against an Ollie that isn't holding back.

This. They should have had the next assassin sent for Thea and Malcom be Ollie.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

JasonRiverwind posted:

So long as Merlyn doesn't try to make Brick confess before killing him, we should be ok. Leave the crazy flipping to Roy.

"Say her name: Rebecca Merlyn! You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!"

(I guess only the second one.)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

McSpanky posted:

I'm only sad that they didn't use the Lazarus pits because it could've given us a crazy/evil Ollie that would have to be taken down safely so they could slap the madness out of him.

The entire point of the show Arrow is slapping the crazy/evil Ollie picked up during his five years "on" the island out of him. Quite honestly, seeing that in microcosm sounds really bad to me.

I figured all along they were going to go the mostly dead route. But whatever, they weren't going to off Ollie for real, so what does it matter what bullshit they use to make him not dead?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

zoux posted:

It's semantics.

howe_sam posted:

I figured all along they were going to go the mostly dead route. But whatever, they weren't going to off Ollie for real, so what does it matter what bullshit they use to make him not dead?
Haha yeah who cares about silly things like "the plot."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Haha yeah who cares about silly things like "the plot."

That's not the plot Mr. Glib.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
My problem with the magic herb is that it reminds me so much of something a pre comic boom adaption would do, throwing out an established comic book idea and replacing it with lamer one that requires less suspension of disbelieve.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
It's hilarious the number of words written in defense of a lovely plot device invented way back when by some hack comic book writer who didn't want to deal with the consequences of killing off a character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

zoux posted:

That's not the plot Mr. Glib.
It literally is? At the very least, "How Oliver bounces back from being stabbed through the chest and thrown off a mountain" is a massive plot point -- they've built their entire mid-season finale off of it -- and you're saying it can be done in absolutely any way at all and it would all be the same.

Of course Oliver was going to come back at some point; a grand total of zero people ever suggested that Oliver was going to be dead forever. Of course it was gonna involve a disbelief-suspending MacGuffin of some sort. And at this point the MacGuffin they've settled on is "herbs." Not even magical herbs as far as we know, just regular herbs. Folks are only calling them "magical" because they're not remotely doing things that real herbs would do, which just adds to the absurdity.

It's dumb. Until further information is revealed-slash-retconned, the idea they're using for this plot is dumb. And I genuinely hope that I'm wrong and that the next episode does reveal-slash-retcon a better resolution than the one we have right now, but honestly, I just don't understand how people could sit here and be utterly bewildered at this preposterous notion that Arrow might ever have dumb plotting. It wouldn't be the first TV show that did! It's hardly the worst offender, even!

The reason that using an actual magical puddle of healing water to bring Oliver back would not only be better but also more believable is because extremely dramatic plot points -- like killing off your main character -- require extremely dramatic resolutions, particularly in a setting where magical puddles of healing water are not only justified, but actually expected by your viewer-base since it is tied to your current plot and antagonist by lore from the source material. An easy comparison is when Slade got half-blown up in the s2 mid-season finale and they used super-science injections to revive him; it was a dramatic resolution to a dramatic situation, and the introduction of bona fide science fiction elements adds bonus intrigue and worldbuilding for the rest of the season.

Using a Lazarus Pit would be no different. In fact they could outright say that the pit is powered by science instead of magic if it seriously bugs people that much; that would, in fact, be a true semantic nitpick that has no major bearing on the plot.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 2, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nothing of what happened to Oliver bugs me that much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I disagree and for someone who has never read the comics or isn't aware of the comics, so probably a good portion of the audience, Lazarus pits are no different from herbs. The only reason you and others are salty about it is because you have prior knowledge of the comic. There is nothing that makes lazarus pits any less ridiculous than herbs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

zoux posted:

Well I disagree and for someone who has never read the comics or isn't aware of the comics, so probably a good portion of the audience, Lazarus pits are no different from herbs. The only reason you and others are salty about it is because you have prior knowledge of the comic. There is nothing that makes lazarus pits any less ridiculous than herbs.

Lazarus Pit sounds cooler than magic herb. For all we know, pot cures death.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BrianWilly posted:

It literally is? At the very least, "How Oliver bounces back from being stabbed through the chest and thrown off a mountain" is a massive plot point -- they've built their entire mid-season finale off of it -- and you're saying it can be done in absolutely any way at all and it would all be the same.

Of course Oliver was going to come back at some point; a grand total of zero people ever suggested that Oliver was going to be dead forever. Of course it was gonna involve a disbelief-suspending MacGuffin of some sort. And at this point the MacGuffin they've settled on is "herbs." Not even magical herbs as far as we know, just regular herbs. Folks are only calling them "magical" because they're not remotely doing things that real herbs would do, which just adds to the absurdity.

It's dumb. Until further information is revealed-slash-retconned, the idea they're using for this plot is dumb. And I genuinely hope that I'm wrong and that the next episode does reveal-slash-retcon a better resolution than the one we have right now, but honestly, I just don't understand how people could sit here and be utterly bewildered at this preposterous notion that Arrow might ever have dumb plotting. It wouldn't be the first TV show that did! It's hardly the worst offender, even!

The reason that using an actual magical puddle of healing water to bring Oliver back would not only be better but also more believable is because extremely dramatic plot points -- like killing off your main character -- require extremely dramatic resolutions, particularly in a setting where magical puddles of healing water are not only justified, but actually expected by your viewer-base since it is tied to your current plot and antagonist by lore from the source material. An easy comparison is when Slade got half-blown up in the s2 mid-season finale and they used super-science injections to revive him; it was a dramatic resolution to a dramatic situation, and the introduction of bona fide science fiction elements adds bonus intrigue and worldbuilding for the rest of the season.

Using a Lazarus Pit would be no different. In fact they could outright say that the pit is powered by science instead of magic if it seriously bugs people that much; that would, in fact, be a true semantic nitpick that has no major bearing on the plot.

I'm waiting for an explanation for why a magical puddle of healing water is more dramatic/believable than magic herbs.

Also,

JohnSherman posted:

It's hilarious the number of words written in defense of a lovely plot device invented way back when by some hack comic book writer who didn't want to deal with the consequences of killing off a character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Lazarus Pit sounds cooler than magic herb. For all we know, pot cures death.

That's a perfectly fine reason to prefer one to the other but to try to say that one of these things is objectively less ridiculous is, well, ridiculous.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

See, that's the thing: if they're gonna go with herbs, then they needed to amp up the fact that these are incredibly rare or powerful herbs that are doing things that shouldn't be possible. You are calling them magical herbs, but the fact is that you just invented that descriptor in your mind to justify the flaccid explanation the show gives. The show literally does not refer to them as anything other than "herbs." The very fact that you're calling them magical, when the show does not, goes to show how absurd it is as a plot device. Do you seriously not see the difference between using a plot device that is specifically stated and designed in the source material of the series to bring characters back to life, and a plot device that they pulled out of nowhere, that shouldn't be able to do the thing it did, and that they don't even actually explain at all?

If they're gonna go with herbs, then Ollie should've said something like "There's no way I could've survived that. What in the world did you give me?" and Tatsu could've said "These are very rare and powerful concoctions; only a few still exist. They might not even have worked, but we had to try." Even something as little as that would've been a long way better than what we've gotten (though it would've still been a cheap cop-out after the way they left the winter finale). You're actually right; they could've used a Lazarus Pit and given us a lovely resolution, or they could've used herbs and given us a better resolution. What we got, though, was an absurd plot device and a lovely resolution.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You should relax man. Sheesh.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

No.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Azhais posted:

People survive falling out of planes, physics is weird.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, I guess Oliver didn't die, he just somehow survived the massive bone-shattering fall (which they could easily have written to be a shorter fall into snow and not only rocks). But I guess that's still better than herbs bringing him back from the dead.

This has been brought up repeatedly, but for all the dumb comic book things we get on the show, this is actually not so far removed from reality as to be at all unbelievable. People have, as mentioned, survived drops out of airplanes (sans parachutes), being picked up and thrown hundreds of feet by tornadoes, falling down cliffs, etc... The thing is, the body is actually surprisingly good at absorbing massive amounts of physical impact when it's completely limp, ie: the person is unconscious, paralyzed, half-dead with several sword wounds, etc... Conversely, you often see people suffer disproportionately terrible injuries from seemingly innocuous impacts that they detect coming because the natural reaction is to tense yourself up in preparation, which results in things tearing and breaking with relative ease.

If there's anything to really sperg about with regards to that sequence, it wasn't that Oliver survived the fall, but that he didn't end up bleeding and/or suffocating to death before Maseo got to him.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Where are you even getting "magic herbs" from?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey look this lady fell out of a plane at 33k feet and lived.

Look here's more.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
speed force

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Habibi posted:

This has been brought up repeatedly, but for all the dumb comic book things we get on the show, this is actually not so far removed from reality as to be at all unbelievable. People have, as mentioned, survived drops out of airplanes (sans parachutes), being picked up and thrown hundreds of feet by tornadoes, falling down cliffs, etc... The thing is, the body is actually surprisingly good at absorbing massive amounts of physical impact when it's completely limp, ie: the person is unconscious, paralyzed, half-dead with several sword wounds, etc... Conversely, you often see people suffer disproportionately terrible injuries from seemingly innocuous impacts that they detect coming because the natural reaction is to tense yourself up in preparation, which results in things tearing and breaking with relative ease.

If there's anything to really sperg about with regards to that sequence, it wasn't that Oliver survived the fall, but that he didn't end up bleeding and/or suffocating to death before Maseo got to him.

Next week on Arrow: Oliver gets punched in the face by a random mook and he hits his head against a solid object. He suffers a traumatic brain injury and dies.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I like when he shoots the bow. The bow shooting is good, IMHO.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
This is a good show. People should enjoy it and not over think poo poo.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BrianWilly posted:

BrianWilly posted:

See, that's the thing: if they're gonna go with herbs, then they needed to amp up the fact that these are incredibly rare or powerful herbs that are doing things that shouldn't be possible. You are calling them magical herbs, but the fact is that you just invented that descriptor in your mind to justify the flaccid explanation the show gives. The show literally does not refer to them as anything other than "herbs." The very fact that you're calling them magical, when the show does not, goes to show how absurd it is as a plot device. Do you seriously not see the difference between using a plot device that is specifically stated and designed in the source material of the series to bring characters back to life, and a plot device that they pulled out of nowhere, that shouldn't be able to do the thing it did, and that they don't even actually explain at all?

If they're gonna go with herbs, then Ollie should've said something like "There's no way I could've survived that. What in the world did you give me?" and Tatsu could've said "These are very rare and powerful concoctions; only a few still exist. They might not even have worked, but we had to try." Even something as little as that would've been a long way better than what we've gotten (though it would've still been a cheap cop-out after the way they left the winter finale). You're actually right; they could've used a Lazarus Pit and given us a lovely resolution, or they could've used herbs and given us a better resolution. What we got, though, was an absurd plot device and a lovely resolution.

:goonsay:

It's a comic book show. Chill out duder.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gonna go with Speed Force on this one.

Also, I should probably get a name change to POT CURES DEATH.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whizbang posted:

:goonsay:

It's a comic book show. Chill out duder.

The very fact that its a comic book show is why there are posts like this. Embrace the nerdrage. Also:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Next week on Arrow: Oliver gets punched in the face by a random mook and he hits his head against a solid object. He suffers a traumatic brain injury and dies.

Is why TV shows need dramatic explanations for dramatic cliffhangers. For every real story of a random person that survives a 10 story fall onto concrete with nothing but a few broken bones there are 100 people that trip over their dog in their home, crack their head on a shelf, and bleed out into their own brain.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Maybe Flash speed force punching Oliver gave him an immunity to kinetic force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Valeyard posted:

speed force

Psh.

Bow &Arrow force.

• Locked thread