Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I already use java at work. I was just wondering about C# because I want to leave my job (my first job and ive been there 8 mo, i cj and write plugins for rational team concert lmfao. and now they have me maintaining this previously outsourced j2ee app part time....) and there seems to be a lot of C# in the area I'm looking at. so as a resume booster i was thinking about doing a c# project that would involve some topic thats a gap in my CS knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my time at university is getting closer and closer to ending, and it couldn't come any sooner. I have lost almost any enthusiasm for the subject of computing science, everything is balls

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

I already use java at work. I was just wondering about C# because I want to leave my job (my first job and ive been there 8 mo, i cj and write plugins for rational team concert lmfao. and now they have me maintaining this previously outsourced j2ee app part time....) and there seems to be a lot of C# in the area I'm looking at. so as a resume booster i was thinking about doing a c# project that would involve some topic thats a gap in my CS knowledge

c# is pretty easy to use and learn coming from java and the web stuff is currently the best.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Flat Daddy posted:

if you dislike windows enough you don't want to use it full time on your mac, you are probably not a good candidate for a c# job.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol the OS I'd have to use isn't important to me. my mac is just my home computer. at work im forced to use linux and I'm using the this terrible company-branded spinoff version of rhel, so anything would be a step up

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Flat Daddy posted:

this terrible company-branded spinoff version of rhel

:eyepop:

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Valeyard posted:

my time at university is getting closer and closer to ending, and it couldn't come any sooner. I have lost almost any enthusiasm for the subject of computing science, everything is balls

just write something fun.

have you made a markov chain generator yet? written a stupid irc bot? a lovely gamejam game? implement a weird algo you'll probably never actually use?

do something interesting

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe i can abuse this to run VS? https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

they're unlicensed, so you'll have to reinstall every 60? 90? days

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
seriously though, if you hate windows so much that running windows on your mac through boot camp at home sounds bad, how is it gonna be working in that environment all day every day

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it doesn't sound bad at all. im just hoarding money for my emergency fund right now and also i wanted to make myself more hirable by learning the other big platform, but i happen to have a kind of old mac that i dont want to cj if i dont have to (i ran into a lot of problems with doing linux and boot camp before )

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Flat Daddy posted:

I'm using the this terrible company-branded spinoff version of rhel, so anything would be a step up

I hate OEL too

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bhodi posted:

I hate OEL too

its actually "ibm open client". using wifi gives me kernel panics lol

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

terrible programming day, i cant ifgure out why visual studio is not liking to .lib files that are right there in the search path

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

terrible programming day, I'm having to work around xamarin being a giant loving pos to put a label on something instead of working on an important feature

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
terrible programming day: still on a break from my phd, i'm not entirely certain that i'll go back and i have done no programming at all in this break.

i did get to explain some haskell to undergrads today though :3

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Terrible programming day, had to help a coworker with their 3% test coverage project.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
lol if u know ur projects' test coverages

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have developed nasty writer's block so i'm just drinking coffee and staring at a screen

to the outside observer this is indistinguishable from a day when i am not blocked

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

finally I got my offer stuff. I think I actually have a job now

wait, the handbook says you can only stream pandora on the company wifi. deal breaker imo

master of the sea
Apr 16, 2003

*skweeeeeee*
terrible programmer status: supposed to write a new service window tool to fit inside our incident management and cmdb. would actually be fun except I can't find three consecutive hours to work on it as I have to do CJ fire extinguishing 90% of my working day

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
awesome programmer day: avoided doing any programming all day.

tomorrow will probably be back to terrible.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Luigi Thirty posted:

finally I got my offer stuff. I think I actually have a job now

wait, the handbook says you can only stream pandora on the company wifi. deal breaker imo

did you expect open wifi or something?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i support a 3rd party library because i have an audio app and your app is poo poo unless it supports this 3rd party library, which is a mixture of their cool technology and apple's lovely imitation of their cool technology

one week of troubleshooting and counting! gently caress my life

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

did you expect open wifi or something?

I was making a joke

much like this non compete listing every other tech company in the world

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was making a joke

hahahahah

uhhhhh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Flat Daddy posted:

it doesn't sound bad at all. im just hoarding money for my emergency fund right now and also i wanted to make myself more hirable by learning the other big platform, but i happen to have a kind of old mac that i dont want to cj if i dont have to (i ran into a lot of problems with doing linux and boot camp before )

get windows 10 tech preview and shove it in a vm?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody posted:

get windows 10 tech preview and shove it in a vm?

oh awesome this looks like it'll work. thanks!

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Bloody posted:

get windows 10 tech preview and shove it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Luigi Thirty posted:

I was making a joke

sorry got a real bad flu and my brain isnt working. i hope you get a good job soon :)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you dislike windows enough you don't want to use it full time on your mac, you are probably not a good candidate for a c# job.

Not always true. I love c# and mac and do anything possible to write c# on my mac. Just have to find the best most gullible ceo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

sorry got a real bad flu and my brain isnt working. i hope you get a good job soon :)

oh no the fact that i have an offer wasn't a joke. i don't know how good of a job it is but they certainly want to give me money to be a computer guy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oooooh it's a gor joke

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I have been tasked with making an internal web app that is just a collection of forms that call various stored procedures. I'm using asp.net mvc and I get the gist but it seems that every online reference does it differently.

do I want the sql calls in the controllers or the model? the general consensus is that it goes in the controller but also fat controllers are also bad? also how many controllers do i want,1 per model?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i usually create an interface w/ methods/models representing all the db calls and then build the controller against that interface/model.

then write an implementation using w/e db code.

your model objects should all be dumb as hell pocos and then you can also have some view models for extending the models for your views.

everyone does it differently but the way i do it is correct.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i've been on call for a week, ask me about [redacted], [redacted], [redacted], and [redacted]

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh I did not realize obummer was apparently about to (maybe sometime in the next year) raise the overtime exemption thingy to either 42,000 or 69,000 a year depending on who you ask

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

mods new thread title pls

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

i usually create an interface w/ methods/models representing all the db calls and then build the controller against that interface/model.

then write an implementation using w/e db code.

your model objects should all be dumb as hell pocos and then you can also have some view models for extending the models for your views.

This is how I do it. :mrgw:

Then I can write tests if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Luigi Thirty posted:

these usually are not enforceable, at least in CA, and they are pretty vague everywhere else, here's some lawyer talk for FL:

http://www.flacorplaw.com/Non-Competes.html

• Locked thread