Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Some dude killed me from range with an AR. I got too cocky :v:

Do any goons even play this right now? Awful soon for it to fall off the radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

vandalism posted:

It's not going to really be on the radar until it hits an appealing beta. Some goons play it for now, but you won't see it really stick until it's closer to release (and not cost $20).

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Blazing Zero posted:

yeah if they didn't fix the duping and combat log duping, i can't really justify playing.

my reasoning :shrug:

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|
Despite all the negativity, and the hackers, this game is fun to play with a group of friends with voice comms other than what is provided in game.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

vandalism posted:

the combat dupe bug exploit kills and meaningful engagements so until that's fix i wont be playing

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So how predominant are the hackers right now, and are the loot issues mostly fixed? Everything I read seems to be really mixed with people saying neither is a problem and both are ruining the game in the same threads.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Frog Act posted:

So how predominant are the hackers right now, and are the loot issues mostly fixed? Everything I read seems to be really mixed with people saying neither is a problem and both are ruining the game in the same threads.
Dupers are more of a problem than hackers. Loot is "fixed" in that it now actually respawns, but it's very imbalanced at the moment.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
As has been said, games pretty drat fun right now as long as you're not getting terrorized by hackers.

One disappointing thing is when you murder someone, their guns can break, so its sometimes tough to get your friends geared up.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

greatBigJerk posted:

Dupers are more of a problem than hackers. Loot is "fixed" in that it now actually respawns, but it's very imbalanced at the moment.

yeah it's the duping and combat log 'duping' that bothers me more than aimbots and ESP. ive run into an ESP user once in 30 hours of playing. combat loggers are like every fight.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Liking the game so far. I haven't fired at a human yet, I'm always afraid they will turn out friendly and lose their stuff.

That being said, I'm consistently killed on sight. Maybe I need to harden up.

Just earlier I was leaving a house as someone was approaching. I let them know there was some water inside, and as I passed him, he shot me in the back of the head. I gave him a defeated "nice shot", and he said, "yeah, gently caress you".

I don't think I'd last very long in a post apocalyptic world.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Atarian posted:

Liking the game so far. I haven't fired at a human yet, I'm always afraid they will turn out friendly and lose their stuff.

Just earlier I was leaving a house as someone was approaching. I let them know there was some water inside, and as I passed him, he shot me in the back of the head. I gave him a defeated "nice shot", and he said, "yeah, gently caress you".

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. You kinda have to be a dick to survive in this game.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Atarian posted:

I doubt in a real apocalyptic scenario people would go around on a murder spree. In Dayz, WarZ, H1Z1, whatever, everything is purely digital; you're not actually taking anyone's life and your life isn't at risk (barring deep vein thrombosis).

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I spent an hour trying to get back to my shack just so i could build a drat door, and when i was 2 minutes away some guy came up to me waving, and said "hey, wanna team up?" Before i could even react, he pulled a gun and started blasting. Somehow i managed to get mine out and kill him with 15% left. That rear end in a top hat made me kill 2 other probably innocents just because i can't trust anyone again.

10/10

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

In the eyes of the pleasant valley PD, all are guilty unless they are wearing the badge

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Atarian posted:

Harden up. Kill all pubs. There aren't any good ones.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just met the worst hacker ever. He tries to run me over with his car, fails, and then gets out and tries to kill me with a shotgun at point blank range. Not surprisingly he failed at that as well. I took his car and drove off. So he speed hack-chased me for ages before he managed to destroy the car.

Must suck to be so bad at a game.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

No hacks, no way. It was actually The Flash!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

quote:

Dear Players, Partners and Friends,

Today, we are pleased to announce that we have been acquired by Columbus Nova, an investment management firm well known for its success with its existing portfolio of technology, media and entertainment focused companies. This means that effective immediately SOE will operate as an independent game development studio where we will continue to focus on creating exceptional online games for players around the world, and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more!

As part of this transition, SOE will now become Daybreak Game Company. This name embodies who we are as an organization, and is a nod to the passion and dedication of our employees and players. It is also representative of our vision to approach each new day as an opportunity to move gaming forward.

So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation. In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in.

Our games and players are the heart and soul of our organization, and we are committed to maintaining our portfolio of online games and pushing the limits of where we can take online gaming together.

Thank you for your continued support. See you in game!

The Team at Daybreak

https://forums.station.sony.com/soe/index.php?threads/sony-online-entertainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.11500068269/

Colunbus Nova was the same investment firm that handled the sale of Harmonix from Viacom. Well, its senior managing partner did anyway.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
wow, didn't see that one coming at all.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Hahahaha.

I mean Sony was pissed at SOE for running vanguard for years at a loss and other dumb things. I guess it just took them some time to get pissed enough.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 2, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Uhhhhh... Wow. Okay.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I wonder how long smedley will be allowed to stay where he is.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

:soe:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

He'll probably be there for a while. Development resources have reason to be worried, though. Redundancies are not great for job security.

This is probably why Maggie and T-Ray left.

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

DOOMocrat posted:

He'll probably be there for a while. Development resources have reason to be worried, though. Redundancies are not great for job security.

This is probably why Maggie and T-Ray left.

You have to have redundancies in place to make their job redundant. Who does Columbus Nova own that has any experience in online game development?

Personally I wish they went back to Verant Interactive but I guess I'm nostalgic.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Welp, my 11-man group just got aimbotted in Pleasant Valley. Time to take a vacation.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

SuicideSnowman posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. You kinda have to be a dick to survive in this game.

H1Z1 is a savage garden my friend, unless its a *goon kill or be killed. :clint:

*accidental goon on goon violence is a time honored tradition

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Sunning posted:

Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

https://forums.station.sony.com/soe/index.php?threads/sony-online-entertainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.11500068269/

Colunbus Nova was the same investment firm that handled the sale of Harmonix from Viacom. Well, its senior managing partner did anyway.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Why would Sony cut SOE loose if EQN was shaping up to be a real good mmo that could supplant WoW :ohdear:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
haha

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

here's hoping smeddles gets the golden parachute and is never hired again

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers

Blazing Zero posted:

here's hoping smeddles gets the golden parachute and is never hired again

One can only hope

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

According to one of the devs via Twitter, we can expect a character/world wipe later this week. Also guns will become even more rare, as though it wasn't hard enough to find a weapon to begin with.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

suboptimal posted:

According to one of the devs via Twitter, we can expect a character/world wipe later this week. Also guns will become even more rare, as though it wasn't hard enough to find a weapon to begin with.

You can easily one shot people with a bow, honestly. Guns are overrated.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

You can easily one shot people with a bow, honestly. Guns are overrated.

Not when you keep getting killed by some duper with a shotgun before you can even get an arrow off :(

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

suboptimal posted:

Sounds like things are going to swing into semi-unfun territory, at least in terms of getting into interesting gun fights. WarZ was a piece of trash, but somehow, no one else has captured the "scavenge a variety of guns and shoot other people with them" thing that WarZ got basically perfectly. It's not like it's a hard loving formula.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Sounds like things are going to swing into semi-unfun territory, at least in terms of getting into interesting gun fights. WarZ was a piece of trash, but somehow, no one else has captured the "scavenge a variety of guns and shoot other people with them" thing that WarZ got basically perfectly. It's not like it's a hard loving formula.

Just allow us to make primitive pipe shotguns and stuff like Rust.

That poo poo was fun and having 30 guns line up Napoleonic Wars style with single shot pipe shotguns to fire on pubbies was hilarious.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Nameless Dread posted:

Yeah, I spent an hour trying to get back to my shack just so i could build a drat door, and when i was 2 minutes away some guy came up to me waving, and said "hey, wanna team up?" Before i could even react, he pulled a gun and started blasting. Somehow i managed to get mine out and kill him with 15% left. That rear end in a top hat made me kill 2 other probably innocents just because i can't trust anyone again.

10/10

One of the first nights I played I ran into into a guy who asked if I wanted to team up. I said sure and actually we ended up teaming up and picked up a 3rd guy too. Then I was killed by a 4th guy we tried to recruit when he decided he just wanted to kill us.

Since then I haven't run across another friendly player and I'm killed on sight every time. The combat is so janky in this game I haven't managed to kill anyone yet, but the kill or be killed play style isn't really my thing.

I really hope they use their rule sets to create a bunch of different styled servers. I'd like to see bandit/hero flags on people too depending on if you kill innocents or are just defending yourself. It'd also be cool to have a server with factions that you can join so you're not always on your own. I've tried to group up with goons on occasion but no one seemed particularly interested, and this game just isn't fun to play alone.

I feel like I got suckered out of my $20 and I'll have to wait it out a long while before the game is in a more playable state. But at least this will keep me from wasting money on dayz or any of the other survivor styled games.

I also spent some time on a PvE server but people managed to ruin that too by blocking entire buildings with barrels... Also there's hardly enough zombies in this game to call it PvE.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 3, 2015

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yo, if you've got a guy on Requiem, I'll meet up with you and give you a spare gun if you feel like giving it another shot tomorrow. I've been doing well winning fights solo (for the most part) but I'm always down to group up. Mumble has been kinda dead lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kimsemus posted:

Just allow us to make primitive pipe shotguns and stuff like Rust.

That poo poo was fun and having 30 guns line up Napoleonic Wars style with single shot pipe shotguns to fire on pubbies was hilarious.

The item descriptions indicate they plan on having craftable guns and melee weapons besides makeshift hatchets/spears, so they'll come eventually.

I hope the server wipe means they figured out how to fix the duping. I really want us all to build a sweet fort again. If they make it so you can't use things like furnaces as steps over fences it'll be fun to have something properly defensible they can't just pick apart with infinite fire axes.

• Locked thread