Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bunnielab posted:

That was sort of my hope. Also, I really regret not picking up a Designer's Edition last year when the idea first crossed my mind. It looks like they have doubled in price.

You shouldn't feel too bad. The Designer's Edition is a neat bit of nonsense, but it's so big as to be truly unwieldy. The pocket edition is really just better.

I wish there were something in between... like if they hadn't gotten so carried away with the DE, there's a great hypothetical fancy, but not gigantic, Ogre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah, I've been wondering how much OGRE DE stuff I could fit into say the Lords of Waterdeep box - hoping to have enough counters for the basic Ogre/Breakthrough/Raid scenarios and those maps. The tray I'd use is a bit bad at sharing the space, so maybe many small bags would be better.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Making a lean kit like that is a great idea, I should do that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

VASL? It's literally just a board and pieces, you have to provide the rules and scenario cards and enforce the rules yourself.

Yeah, I guess my question was more about how user friendly the interface is. I have little hope of getting anyone I know to play with me so being able to play online is key.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

You shouldn't feel too bad. The Designer's Edition is a neat bit of nonsense, but it's so big as to be truly unwieldy. The pocket edition is really just better.

I wish there were something in between... like if they hadn't gotten so carried away with the DE, there's a great hypothetical fancy, but not gigantic, Ogre.

I know, but I still want the silly thing and would happily pay $100 but double that is too much unless I actually had people and a place to play it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, I guess my question was more about how user friendly the interface is. I have little hope of getting anyone I know to play with me so being able to play online is key.

For wargamers who might be used to things like Harpoon, it's pretty straight forward. If you've played modern strategy games, it's not great in comparison. And I don't mean stuff like Paradox's stable or Dominions.

For what it's worth, my dad played Panzer leader/blitz and Arab Israeli wars with me when I was a kid, and I picked them up and enjoyed them a lot. It essentially boils down to the math around focusing your attack factor at whatever's in range, and the line of sight and complicating rules are pretty manageable. 1776 is probably more straight forward, since the setting and scale are pretty abstract.

I also was a fan of Alexander, which is designed to play just one battle, but there's basically no terrain to worry about, and it has unit facing considerations which I thought were pretty interesting.

Elephants!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

bunnielab posted:

I know, but I still want the silly thing and would happily pay $100 but double that is too much unless I actually had people and a place to play it.

You ought to be able to find the DE for $100 or thereabouts, mine was $70 CAD a few months back (and eligible for free shipping! They're sold out now though). It's the Kickstarter version / extras that cost a bunch more. CSI has one for $120 with an included $10-$15 promo sheet (and are selling one on amazon for $200, so shop around :)), CLS games is selling one for $100 via BGG.

edit: there's some in Toronto for $100 CAD (401 games), they only ship in Canada or local pickup though.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 30, 2015

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

rchandra posted:

You ought to be able to find the DE for $100 or thereabouts, mine was $70 CAD a few months back (and eligible for free shipping! They're sold out now though). It's the Kickstarter version / extras that cost a bunch more. CSI has one for $120 with an included $10-$15 promo sheet (and are selling one on amazon for $200, so shop around :)), CLS games is selling one for $100 via BGG.

edit: there's some in Toronto for $100 CAD (401 games), they only ship in Canada or local pickup though.

Yeah I bought both the DE edition of Ogre and the pocket edition from Coolstuff during their black friday sale where I got it for like 90 bucks

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Tekopo posted:

It's more complex than Fading Glory, but most of its complexity is chrome rather than actually difficult rules. I think it is a very good step up and I recommend it: it's pretty unusual due to the scale of the game but the firing rules and the way it uses support weapon is very well done. I would recommend it as a good stepping stone to slightly more difficult hex'n'counter games.

Thank you for the summary, it sounds like a game I would like. Unfortunately the copy I intended to buy was just a stock error and it wasn't actually there. :downs:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
So after counting components and having a brief freak out that I was missing cards (who numbers cards sequentially, but then arbitrarily doesn't include numbers like 8 or 48???) and reading the rules, I think I'm ready to start my first game of Ambush! tonight.

Is there anything I should keep in mind? Easy things to mess up? I'm not super experienced with war games--I've played Combat Commander, Twilight Struggle, Fire in the Lake, etc. mostly. So nothing this old yet.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How the hell is it that ASLSK #1 and #3 I can find almost everywhere for ~$30, but #2 is hard as poo poo to find for less than $70+?? Ugh.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can someone give me a rundown or comparison between Band of Brothers, Conflict of Heroes, and Combat Commander: Europe? Am I mistaken in thinking they cover similar ground? I have CC:E, and enjoy it a lot, but I don't know very much about the other two, and they seem kind of interesting.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

COOL CORN posted:

How the hell is it that ASLSK #1 and #3 I can find almost everywhere for ~$30, but #2 is hard as poo poo to find for less than $70+?? Ugh.

When wargames go OOP they go OOP hard.

Also how the gently caress does a FLGS carry on their shelves loving Next War: Taiwan. That poo poo is dangerous to leave lying around. Some wargaming addict with no sense of boundaries or restraint might impulse by it when he really shouldn't....those fuckers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Trynant posted:

Also how the gently caress does a FLGS carry on their shelves loving Next War: Taiwan. That poo poo is dangerous to leave lying around. Some wargaming addict with no sense of boundaries or restraint might impulse by it when he really shouldn't....those fuckers.

If you want to learn that poo poo on vassal i'm game.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

Panzeh posted:

If you want to learn that poo poo on vassal i'm game.

I still have Next War: Korea sitting on my shelf waiting for a play; so yes, yes we should do this (god I hope one of us can read rules well though).

EDIT: O gently caress, you can link the two games together. gently caress it, we're doing this panzeh.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 2, 2015

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can someone give me a rundown or comparison between Band of Brothers, Conflict of Heroes, and Combat Commander: Europe? Am I mistaken in thinking they cover similar ground? I have CC:E, and enjoy it a lot, but I don't know very much about the other two, and they seem kind of interesting.

Combat Commander is basically game that takes all most of the rules fluff of Advanced Squad Leader and shoves it into card play instead of having you have to remember what rolling doubles on a die might do. Band of Brothers is fairly different in that it doesn't use cards at all, and is basically a stab at making a fairly light tactical level combat game. It does its job well. Conflict of Heroes may do its job better though; although that's the one I still have yet to get to the table.

Overall Conflict of Heroes and Band of Brothers are far more comparable to each other. Band of Brothers is probably the easiest of all three, Conflict of Heroes is probably the one you could convince someone who isn't super wargamey to play, and Combat Commander: Europe is the most "hey this poo poo is good dawg" one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thanks to eBay I have the 1st ed. ASL rules en route to me for $8.

It begins... :negative:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I got VASSEL up and running last night and holy poo poo. The ASL module seems decent but the Panzer Leader one is amazing, all the scenarios have been prebuilt and are ready to play in seconds. I also grabbed the one for OGRE as well.

If anyone want to get a game in let me know. I would like to start with OGRE but if you are willing to let me stumble through ASLSK or Panzer Leader I would love to play them as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Please have a look at my latest LP!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Found this cool book at Half-Price Books:

Table of Contents:

And there's like 130 pages of reviews in alphabetical order, from "After the Holocaust" to "World War 3". I wish each game that got reviewed was in a list somewhere, but if anyone's interested in a review of a war game from Spring 1980 or before, I can see if it's in the book and type it up.

It amazes me the hobby was robust enough to support such a dedicated niche title.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Part 1 was Culture before Culture.

Do they have a review for Stalingrad? If not, Victory in the Pacific :)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Part 1 was Culture before Culture.

Do they have a review for Stalingrad? If not, Victory in the Pacific :)

The about the author is timely:

"Nicholas Palmer was born in 1950 and has been playing board wargames since he was fifteen. Britain's leading authority on this fast expanding hobby, he is the author of The Comprehensive Guide to Board Wargaming and wargames editor of Games & Puzzles. He lives in Basel, Switzerland with his parents and is head of Medical Department System Analysis in Ciba-Geigy Pharmaceuticals. He looks forward to 2015, when retirement will give him the chance to play Campaign for North Africa; in the meantime, he finds it hard to understand how anyone can be bored in a world with wargames."

Hopefully he'll get his wish!

Stalingrad
(AH) Strategic, land, WW2, 2 players, 5-8 hours

Not just Stalingrad but the whole Russian front from the German invasion, crudely but excitingly simulated by this classic.

By today's standards an over-bland map and identikit units within each type: all German armour has attack and defence strengths 8, all Panzer gernadier units have 7-7, and so on. The game starts with a free Russian set-up, for which there are many theories, including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's allegedly unbeatable "hyperdefence". The German player is then allowed to inspect the defences and deploy accordingly, distributing his forces between Finland (maximum 8 factors), Rumania and the main front.

Play proceeds on standard lines, but Stalingrad stands out among the classics for its good strategic conception. Bashing away on all fronts is not a viable policy for the German, regardless of his tactical skill, and winter will test his deployment when he needs to have the remaining armour bunched together to knock out strong-points in the Soviet line. Careless players throw the Panzers about and regret it around February 1942.

Victory conditions hinge on the capture of Leningrad, Stalingrad, and Moscow. One or two of these can often be achieved by splitting the Russian lines, but the Soviet player will nearly always win if he plays a defensive but tenacious game, even if his replacement rate is reduced for play balance as suggested by the rules. However, the German side is much easier to play well (in the first months after the game was published it was thought unbalanced to the Axis), and newcomers are advised to start with the historical replacement rate and gradually scale it down as their defensive play improves. Records of tournament and club play show that results are in practice almost evenly balanced, which shows how much better many wargamers are at aggressive strategy than cautious retreats.

Victory in the Pacific / War at Sea
(AH) Strategic, sea, WW2, 2 players, 1-2 hours (War at Sea), 3-4 hours (Victory in the Pacific)

Not to be confused with War in the Pacific, possibly the most complex game in existence, these games are two of the simplest wargames available and excellent introductory fare to entice newcomers into the hobby. War at Sea effectively has 4 pages of rules; Victory has six pages.

The basic concept is quickly told. The oceans are divided into areas (in Europe and the Atlantic for War at Sea), each with a certain point value for each side. There are 8 turns; on each, the first player (Allies in War at Sea, Japanese in Victory) deploys his fleet as he thinks fit, concentrating most ships in the more valuable areas. The second player does the same, trying to exploit gaps in the first player's dispositions, and ships placed in the same area now engage in combat until one side is sunk or driven back to port. The players collect points for area still in their control, and move to the next turn.

There are a number of finesses built on this structure: airstrikes, submarines, convoys (in War at Sea), capture of ports and bases (Victory), taskforces (Victory), and other rules for extra flavour. Combat is resolved by a die rolling contest. One gets a certain number of shots per ship: a roll of 5 disables the target and a roll of 6 scores a hit. Disabling is defined as driving the target back to port, so comic scenes occur when badly damaged ships pray for disablement; I originally reviewed this as 'adding a fashionable fantasy touch with a "sprouts wings" spell', and this rule is certainly the most outrageous element in a pair of games with scanty claims to realism. Ships do have individual speed factors which determine their chances of reaching distant areas and of escaping from battle.

Curiously, it is perfectly feasible to play these games as deadly serious contests of logic and mathematics, since the odds of each contest can be precisely estimated. The General has published some authoritative theses from this viewpoint, but most people enjoy the games for light relief and fast movement. Victory in the Pacific is the more complex and subtle of the two, and takes proportionately longer, but both games are very accurately described by AH's admirable introduction to War at Sea:

"...a simple simulation game of World War 2 naval combat bordering on the abstract. It is a 'simulation' only in the broadest sense in that it is based loosely on certain historical facts and data. Yet, the scope of the game is such that it dismisses much attention to detail and, as such, it is not as realistic as a normal simulation or war game. The result is a highly playable and easy to learn game that is fun to play."

One can't ask for more honesty in advertisement.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

What does he have to say about Squad Leader?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
THIS guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Palmer

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/5480/nicholas-palmer

Sure looks like it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

He's like... a boardgaming superhero or something

Edit: Someone needs to play against him and curse him out "Palmer you son of a bitch, I read your book!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 3, 2015

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cenotaph posted:

What does he have to say about Squad Leader?

He reviews Squad Leader as well as Cross of Iron and Crescendo of Doom, and gets some help from two other people.

Gonna try just taking a picture, since it's sort of time consuming to type 'em up.

Sorry it's a little dark, but should be readable if you blow it up.

That was much faster than me typing them up.

I love the one guy saying he can see the game being popular for years. Little did he know...

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

He has reservations about SL's "colorful design approach." We've got ourselves the ur-grognard right here.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh hey, I've actually played with him, I think I played a COIN game with him, A Distant Plain IIRC.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It was weird because he voted for the war in Afghanistan as well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gotta get something new to simulate after a while.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Haha, he's running for office in my constituency this year as well (I will probably be voting for him because gently caress the tories). Small world.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MikeCrotch posted:

Haha, he's running for office in my constituency this year as well (I will probably be voting for him because gently caress the tories). Small world.

That's wild!

Unrelated, but nobody ever talks about Tide Of Iron in this thread, how come? I only played it once but thought it was fun and felt like a war game. I'm still pretty new to this branch of the hobby though, so maybe I wouldn't have noticed the flaws.

Also, I just got War of the Ring first edition in a trade, should I use the second edition rules? I don't know how necessary the upgrade kit is or if just playing with the rules in the box would be a bad experience.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Also, I just got War of the Ring first edition in a trade, should I use the second edition rules? I don't know how necessary the upgrade kit is or if just playing with the rules in the box would be a bad experience.

You'll want to use the second edition rules when you play. You'll probably also want to use some sort of reference; I recommend these. The Upgrade Kit is nice, but not necessary unless you get the expansion later, as there are not a lot of changes to the actual cards. The bottom of this post lists all the changes between the two editions, so you could just make up a little list of the changes to cards, or maybe make some inserts. Enjoy the game!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Are there any good solo wargames I could look for? Sad to say I don't know anyone around here who'd be up for a twenty+ hour game of anything...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

Are there any good solo wargames I could look for? Sad to say I don't know anyone around here who'd be up for a twenty+ hour game of anything...

You're in luck, fellow Corn. There are a TON of solo games, and just as many 2p but solo-friendly games.

For the latter, there are a ton of options, and most are printed on the box (e.g. GMT games have a "solitaire suitability" rating on the back of each game). Some personal favorites of mine are Unconditional Surrender, Advanced Squad Leader, A Victory Denied, Reds!, and any of the SCS or OCS series games (Afrika, Burma, Tunisia, Reluctant Enemies, Bastogne, etc.)

For the former, a lot of companies are making purely solo games now. Some notable ones (I may have some of the names slightly off, this is from memory): Navajo Wars, The Hunters, B-17 Queen of the Skies, RAF: 1940 Battle Over Britain, Ambush!, Battle Hymn, most of the DVG games (Thunderbolt Apache Leader, U-Boat Leader, Hornet Leader, Phantom Leader, Field Commander Rommel, Field Commander Napoleon, Fleet Commander Nimitz)...

The lists go on, but that's a start. If you're okay with thinking on both sides, any game without hidden information (e.g. cards or hidden units) can be played solo and for a lot of fun. If you want a little more surprise in your games, any of the designed-for-solo games above are great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Ugh, all this ISIS business is really making me want to play/buy Labyrinth. I wish there were another Islamic Terrorism-themed wargame out there, because if I want to play an influence-based CDG, I'll just play Twilight Struggle.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The Leader series (particularly Thunderbolt-Apache Leader) and Navajo Wars are probably the most-recommended ones here. D-Day at Omaha/Tarawa/Pileilu and Fields of Fire also seem good but more complex, and I haven't tried those personally. Thunderbolt-Apache has been great for me, I've also liked Cruel Necessity but not as much. COIN games are another option, they all support solo play via AI players.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

rchandra posted:

Fields of Fire

If you're new-ish to wargames, I would stay the hell away from FOF. And I'm saying this as someone who desperately loves the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I would buy Navajo Wars right now if I had more money to spare, it looks rad as hell. Cruel Necessity is English Civil War, though? That's a cool period and one I've studied so that might be a good choice if you feel like it's good enough to recommend. How does the solitaire thing work, though? Are there rules for enemy unit movement or is it all card based?

E: I'm relatively new to wargames, sorry ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The COIN series has an excellent solitaire mode. (Also they're only like four hours at most.)

COOL CORN posted:

Ugh, all this ISIS business is really making me want to play/buy Labyrinth. I wish there were another Islamic Terrorism-themed wargame out there, because if I want to play an influence-based CDG, I'll just play Twilight Struggle.

Funnily enough, I think I saw Ruhnke admitting on BGG that the Arab Spring and subsequent ISIS fiasco isn't accounted for at all in Labyrinth. (Also, the general impression I got from Tekopo and some others is that Labyrinth really isn't that great, especially considering that COIN took most of the good ideas.)