Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If it could be done it would be done, it isn't done so it isn't worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

A Fiesta ST is what, 2700lbs, 200bhp, $22k? A little under the power target, but also under the weight and price target, fair balance to me.

The cars are out there in certain fields.

Mange Mite posted:

Cue internet benchracers getting mad over "only" 200hp

I know it's not the point of this conversation, and I'm not trying to bench race, but stock Fiestas on the Dyno really are putting down impressive numbers. It makes the dollar to power/weight ratio even better.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BoostCreep posted:

I know it's not the point of this conversation, and I'm not trying to bench race, but stock Fiestas on the Dyno really are putting down impressive numbers. It makes the dollar to power/weight ratio even better.

The 500 Abarth also puts down some really decent numbers from the factory. They, like the ST, are likely under-reported. A $500 ecu mode will have an abarth making somewhere around 230-240hp at the crank all day long. Wheeeeeeee.

Stock Abarth dyno run:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can get a 387hp 5.0 reg cab/short box with a 3.73 locker for 25 grand here. do a little weight reduction, remove bumpers, box, passenger seat, stereo and such, you should be able to get close to 3000lbs.you could probably also sell some of that stuff to get your price down lower. assuming you sell that stuff for a grand, and the US dollar is currently 1.26, so 24 grand canadian, that's $19k USD

problem solved. Want a quick little car? drive to canada and buy a truck.

alternatively, the nissan micra is 109hp, 2300lbs, and $9,998 canadian, that's $7950 USD. buy 3 of them for $24 grand, and put all the engines into one.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 2, 2015

Boss
Feb 23, 2011

KakerMix posted:

If it could be done it would be done, it isn't done so it isn't worth doing.

It almost certainly could be done. There's just not a good business case for it so no company is willing to build it.

Car enthusiasts are big with their demands and tight with their wallets.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Boss posted:

It almost certainly could be done. There's just not a good business case for it so no company is willing to build it.

Car enthusiasts are big with their demands and tight with their wallets.
To be fair, every time the enthusiasts says "do x, y, z, price it at $20k and they'd sell a million of them" the company does "x and y" and prices it at $26k and then wonders why they don't sell a million of them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

*Asks for a simpler, lighter version of a car already in production, called unreasonable*

Whats really funny is imagine if the WRX didn't exist and the BRZ was all we had. Then I would be sitting here say, "I wish they would make it awd and a turbo. They should be able to sell it for about $600 more, that's all it should cost." Do you hear how crazy THAT sounds? I can only imagine the names and things people would be saying to me. Except oh, that's reality in this case.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why simpler, lighter versions as cheaper models when they can sell simpler, lighter versions as more expensive hardcore models.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Coredump posted:

*Asks for a simpler, lighter version of a car already in production, called unreasonable*

Whats really funny is imagine if the WRX didn't exist and the BRZ was all we had. Then I would be sitting here say, "I wish they would make it awd and a turbo. They should be able to sell it for about $600 more, that's all it should cost." Do you hear how crazy THAT sounds? I can only imagine the names and things people would be saying to me. Except oh, that's reality in this case.

And you'd be a complete moron for thinking that you could add AWD and a turbo for $600.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

eyebeem posted:

And you'd be a complete moron for thinking that you could add AWD and a turbo for $600.
I think his point is that the AWD, turbo WRX costs about $600 more than the 2WD, NA BRZ does.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
The perfect enthusiast car is never going to happen, just suck it up and swap a fast motor into a miata/e30/??? while you still can.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

InitialDave posted:

I think his point is that the AWD, turbo WRX costs about $600 more than the 2WD, NA BRZ does.

I R dum? Jesus, did I even read his post. Where's the delete button?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
GM as a company has been pretty receptive to the enthusiast crowd and has probably brought to fruition the most number of "cars enthusiasts are clamoring for" out of any of the car makers. I guess all the money they saved on the Silverado and Malibu redesigns had to go somewhere. :3:

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Throatwarbler posted:

GM as a company has been pretty receptive to the enthusiast crowd and has probably brought to fruition the most number of "cars enthusiasts are clamoring for" out of any of the car makers. I guess all the money they saved on the Silverado and Malibu redesigns had to go somewhere. :3:

And they still don't sell. Look at SS sales for example.

Enthusiasts are killing "cars enthusiasts are clamoring for" because enthusiasts aren't buying them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mariguana posted:

Enthusiasts are killing "cars enthusiasts are clamoring for" because enthusiasts aren't buying them.

I don't remember anybody asking for a $45k chevy.

That's $11,000 more than the Camaro SS. anybody ready to spend 45k on a sport sedan could already buy an S4 or 335i m-sport, anybody looking for a 4 door muscle car can spend 30 grand on a charger R/T.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess this depends on what "cars enthusiasts are clamoring for". Because if it's more power for more $$ then yea GM is doing great (and so is everyone else). If it's lighter and more nimble cars then not so much.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

InitialDave posted:

Theres a hell of a lot more differences between the WRX and the BRZ than just those 3 things (drive wheels / turbo / price).

Powershift posted:

I don't remember anybody asking for a $45k chevy.

That's $11,000 more than the Camaro SS. anybody ready to spend 45k on a sport sedan could already buy an S4 or 335i m-sport, anybody looking for a 4 door muscle car can spend 30 grand on a charger R/T.
Which as exactly my point above. We asked for a RWD performance sedan. What we got was a slushbox-only RWD Malibu that costs an extra $15k.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 3, 2015

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Mariguana posted:

So called, enthusiasts will be the death of fun cars. They intentionally have unrealistic expectations so that they don't feel guilty for not buying a car targeted squarely at them. Somebody here seriously just said that the WRX would be the perfect car if only it were RWD, as if that really matters.

We live in the golden age of fun cars and most of the demographic for them will never be satisfied because they keep moving the goal posts. Frankly, if you can't find a car that you'd enjoy for under $30k, then you'll never be happy and should save yourself the frustration and stop caring about cars.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mariguana posted:

Speaking of the SS you can get the civilian Chevrolet Caprice for CHEAP. I've seen 2012's going for $25k. No cop equipment on them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

It's because he doesn't understand what "economies of scale" means

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Coredump posted:

Speaking of the SS you can get the civilian Chevrolet Caprice for CHEAP. I've seen 2012's going for $25k. No cop equipment on them.

A Charger R/T is $30k, let's suppose a cop Charger V8 is about the same price, and that a cop Caprice since it competes squarely with the cop Charger is probably also similarly priced, the only depreciating by $5k after 3 years (yes 2012 was three years ago) of being puked in by methheads doesn't sound very cheap to me at all.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Theres a hell of a lot more differences between the WRX and the BRZ than just those 3 things (drive wheels / turbo / price).

Which as exactly my point above. We asked for a RWD performance sedan. What we got was a slushbox-only RWD Malibu that costs an extra $15k.

It has a stick now. :eng101:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

El Scotch posted:

It has a stick now. :eng101:
I know.
Doesn't fix the rest of what is wrong with it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BoostCreep posted:

It's insane what having that micro-turbo does for spool time and low-end torque. When my mom got her FiST I figured it would be like my MSP but with better power, but driving it is completely different; the power's all down low (as you can see here), whereas my car you pretty much shift at redline for every gear.

I kind of prefer the feel of mine (more traditional, feels more like an N/A car), but it's undeniable the the Ford's a shitload faster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's February 3rd somewhere.

http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus-rs/15142/ford-focus-rs-2015-revealed

AWD, but only 250hp for some reason.

looks like the widebody render stuff was bullshit too.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

It's February 3rd somewhere.

http://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus-rs/15142/ford-focus-rs-2015-revealed

AWD, but only 250hp for some reason.

looks like the widebody render stuff was bullshit too.

If that's accurate it's waaaaaay below what everyone seemed to be predicting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It also makes absolutely no sense. why put the 2.3 in to be less powerful than the 2.0

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's a strange thing for me to make up, but I'm not going to believe it till it comes from the horse's mouth.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

It's because he doesn't understand what "economies of scale" means

Oh shut up. You don't get to tell me what I don't understand.

Edit: hey Mange, when Mazda was able to turbo the Miata for a grand where was your economies of scale there?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 3, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Edit: left tab open, replied to something a page back. Welp.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 3, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
250 is like 20 more than the ST, hopefully this is incorrect.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Brz and Fr-s sales started off strong but have really slowed down in the last few months. People have been asking for a more powerful model and Toyota/Subaru are ignoring them.

Toyota has been like "we're not going to sell a turbo model because the car we have now is not selling more" and people are responding with "the car you're selling now is not selling better because we want one with a turbo."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

who cares about the FRS not having enough power. let's talk about the focus RS not having enough power

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

None of that poo poo matters because I'm a poor who can't afford new cars. Closest I've gotten to brand new is an 8 year old car. :v:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Rhyno posted:

It's actually 2 less.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder what the AWD system is like. Maybe it'll put Subaru back on the run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Q_res posted:

It's actually 2 less.

Jesus Christ. That has to be a typo then.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder what the AWD system is like. Maybe it'll put Subaru back on the run.

quote:

The Focus gets brake-operated torque vectoring, with drive being sent to all four wheels. Up to 70 per cent of power can be sent to the rear wheels, where power can be split to each side by as much as 100 per cent. That equates to as much as 224bhp being sent to one wheel.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ. That has to be a typo then.

Well the first paragraph says "With an anticipated 50bhp more than its predecessor and four-wheel drive", so that would be 350hp, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

What? The ST makes 252 stock on premium (and 270 torque).