Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

You know, Berlin has a pretty decent public transit system. Last time I was there, the trains were running on time.

When I visited Berlin with some friends we didn't realize that their rail system shuts down kinda early, so we ended up drunkenly following an elevated track for miles to find our way back to where we were staying. London, New York and Chicago own Los Angeles so badly at public transportation that it hurts. So does Boston and San Francisco but you can walk across both those "cities" in half an hour so it's like they have high quality adorable miniature train system that you find in malls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i've only been to toronto for a single day. i watched a jays game, went up in the CN tower, walked around in chinatown for a bit, and checked out the university grounds. so i didn't get to use the public transit system.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the la subway has a sweet decorating budget, you gotta give it that

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

so was philadelphia, whose transit system functions prettttyy similarly to toronto's

both in outdated payment methods and in heavy use of trolleys and the like

I've never been to Philadelphia. :shrug:

Joementum posted:

i've only been to toronto for a single day. i watched a jays game, went up in the CN tower, walked around in chinatown for a bit, and checked out the university grounds. so i didn't get to use the public transit system.

To be fair, if you ignore the suburbs that have been artificially attached to it, Toronto is a lot more like SF and Boston, where, as GhostofJohnMuir notes, you could just ultimately walk a whole lot of it without using public transport. But the access to the airport and the suburbs through its transit system is pretty useful.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've never been to Philadelphia. :shrug:

You have made the correct choice thus far in life.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
you can't trust anyone who hasn't paid homage to benjamin franklin by walking through a giant heart

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
the night bus system in berlin can take a while and i nearly wet my pants because i drank way too much and it was a while until i could get off at my transfer point (and those night buses are every hour)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
every time a euro boards one of their subways they should gave thanks that we bombed the poo poo outta them 70 years ago

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
NJ Transit has a smartphone app that lets you buy/display a ticket :whatup:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
also when i stayed at my buddy's place in hammersmith he said "yeah buy an oyster card given how long you're staying here and how often we'll be using the tube"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nintendo Kid posted:

you can't trust anyone who hasn't paid homage to benjamin franklin by walking through a giant heart

Oh hey here's another one for your collection fishmech.

Ferrinus posted:

burning jet fuel does 3d6 damage each round

steel beams have DR 20

draw your own conclusions.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
hahahaha I finally saw the fantastic four trailer

man remember how some people were like "what are they gonna make Johnny storm adopted?!?"

haha nah man they made dr. storm black deal with it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I must make a New Englander confession: I have lived in both DC and Boston and found the Metro to be slightly preferable to the T. While it is (sorta) zoned, the only times I ever needed to go outside of the base rate was once when I took it out to College Park to go to the National Archive annex, and another when I had an audition at the Discovery Channel in Silver Springs. The Metro also stayed open late on the weekend, and was noticeably cleaner since they don't let you eat/drink in their stations.

I'd say "don't judge me too harshly," but I know the words would be wasted.

EDIT: The Paris Metro reminded me of the T to a degree (despite being considerably more complex) due to its tiled-wall station decor, and quantities of urine.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 3, 2015

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

RuanGacho posted:

Try, just for a moment if you will. Not posting.

drat, USPOL's still got a kick.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
yeah, i probably put the T ahead of the Metro for sentimental reasons, though i think most of the metro's improvements have been recent

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
ultimately, zoned systems are just plain inefficient due to the need for exit gates that require interaction.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i enjoyed the buenos aires subte :smug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
fare free systems ftw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

EDIT: The Paris Metro reminded me of the T to a degree (despite being considerably more complex) due to its tiled-wall station decor, and quantities of urine.

How could I forget the Paris Metro? I'm sure it's great for people who have credit/debit cards that actually work there, or carry a lot of coinage around. Otherwise it's a bit of a hassle, but still navigable and useful. Coupled with the RER, it was really not half bad.

The train system there, though. Man, you need to know a guy, you know? You have to know that the TER is almost always preferable to the TGV unless you're in a hurry and can get a ticket hella early (which you can't if your credit/debit card doesn't or just sporadically works on their systems). Half the price in most cases.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

god bless the internet

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

god bless the internet

now I'm not so sure if years of playing video games was actually a waste of my life when I could have been taking pictures of street lights all this time

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Congrats I guess

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nintendo Kid posted:

god bless the internet

some men aspire to greatness. others....

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

have greatness thrust upon 'em.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

... search for it under the streetlight.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

yo, migf: tell your guy to get that snow cleared off the side streets, lest he wants his poo poo hosed up in a couple weeks jane-style.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

wgn just interviewed a woman in bronzeville whose street hadn't been plowed and they asked her whether it's gonna factor into her mayoral vote in a couple weeks.

"Funny you should mention that; I was just thinking about bilandic & byrne. Hmph."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

anything done with a 1099 is loving the worker

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

:toot:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

god bless the internet

Is this guy part moth?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Most of them look the same to me, but something tells me that guy knows the differences between every single one.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

It's not as much fun when you grow up and weird people are actually just autistic/retarded.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
My goodness the Eastern Europe thread is certainly a hotbed of anti-Russian sentiment

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

My goodness the Eastern Europe thread is certainly a hotbed of anti-Russian sentiment

Putin's kind of an rear end in a top hat and yet insanely popular, and blatant racism is far more acceptable in Russian culture than many Westerners would be comfortable with, so I'm not surprised. :shrug:

(not following the thread)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Is this guy part moth?

Part fish, actually.

SedanChair posted:

This is a surprise...how? lol

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Fuckin plow is spinning its tires, stuck in snow outside my house.

Seriously, what the gently caress plow.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

SedanChair posted:

imo the only justified bigotry is anti-Russian

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cheekio posted:

Call Mr Plow.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
purchase an army surplus flamethrower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cheekio posted:

That means the plow is free, right?

• Locked thread