Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wait..what? Ginyu isn't killed by Vegeta in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

facebook jihad posted:

Wait..what? Ginyu isn't killed by Vegeta in the manga.

Goku even appeals to Vegeta's sense of sadism by pointing out becoming a frog is basically worse than death.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Goku even appeals to Vegeta's sense of sadism by pointing out becoming a frog is basically worse than death.

Did Tumblr ever call Goku out for this?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Raxivace posted:

I dunno but that convincing Vegeta is some funny poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raxivace posted:

What do you mean? I mean turning into a frog for the rest of your days is pretty poo poo if you were once the most respected general in a galactic space army that ruled most of the cosmos.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Couldn't Frogyu just switch to another body anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Couldn't Frogyu just switch to another body anyway?

No, he has to yell out the attack name to do it and a frog can't.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yeah, didn't Bulma make some really dumb frog-to-human speech converter and that's how Ginyu switched in the filler?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
^ Yeah I think that happened. Bulma got to do so much crazy poo poo in the filler.

ImpAtom posted:

No, he has to yell out the attack name to do it and a frog can't.

It's hard to know the nature of Ginyu, or of frogness.

Also he probably got blew up with Namek anyway because what does a dragon care about a dumb frog?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

^ Yeah I think that happened. Bulma got to do so much crazy poo poo in the filler.

It's hard to know the nature of Ginyu, or of frogness.

Also he probably got blew up with Namek anyway because what does a dragon care about a dumb frog?
the anime has him coming back to earth by slipping into their spaceship as they escape. he lives in the capsule corp pond for the rest of the series and pops up as a cameo in a few shots.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Endorph posted:

the anime has him coming back to earth by slipping into their spaceship as they escape. he lives in the capsule corp pond for the rest of the series and pops up as a cameo in a few shots.

One of my friends always wanted GT to somehow involve Ginyu switching bodies with someone and wreaking havoc.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Xad posted:

One of my friends always wanted GT to somehow involve Ginyu switching bodies with someone and wreaking havoc.

I think we knew the same guy or who thought similarly because I had a friend who said the same.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Covok posted:

What do you mean? I mean turning into a frog for the rest of your days is pretty poo poo if you were once the most respected general in a galactic space army that ruled most of the cosmos.

Well yeah, you and I think that because we're relatively sane people. The joke is at the expense of the kind of people on sites like Tumblr that honestly don't see what the issue with turning into a frog would be.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Xad posted:

To be honest, that's a pretty drat gnarly what-if scenario.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xad posted:

Because the Baby saga wasn't bad enough.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know, Ginyu switching bodies with Baby-Vegeta sounds pretty awesome.

Covok
May 27, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Think about it this way: Baby was boring as gently caress and had next to no personality while Ginyu has personality in loads. It would have at least been less boring as hell.

gently caress...I legitimately have no memory of how Baby even acted. What was his personality like?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Covok posted:

Think about it this way: Baby was boring as gently caress and had next to no personality while Ginyu has personality in loads. It would have at least been less boring as hell.

gently caress...I legitimately have no memory of how Baby even acted. What was his personality like?

Initially, Baby is single-minded in reviving the Tuffle race and exterminating the Saiyans. Over time, it is shown that he is cunning enough to dominate the Z Fighters, possessing Vegeta and successfully restoring the Tuffles' home planet. However, Baby is also incredibly childish and immature; he is very prone to taunting, and flies into a rage if he is teased enough. Ironically, despite seeing the Saiyans as a barbaric race, he displays enjoyment in battle as well; upon becoming a Golden Great Ape, Baby pretends that he is on a mindless rampage (which is a common occurrence among Great Apes and Golden Great Apes), and massacres countless followers as a means of testing out his abilities. He is very intelligent, and has an extremely egotistical and selfish personality.

After he receives energy from his followers, becoming Super Baby Vegeta, his cruelty becomes more pronounced, and he states that each and every living being should be considered his slave. Due to the Tuffle King's DNA within Baby, he is also tremendously proud, and he prefers to fight one-on-one. Being one of the two survivors of the Tuffle race (the other being Dr. Raichi), who were all but exterminated by the Saiyans, he bears a deep hatred of the Saiyans. Unlike other villains of the series in its entirety, Baby is not instinctively acting on evil intentions alone. He is an antagonist to the protagonists of the storyline, but he is seeking vengeance for all the misery that was brought unto him and his own race by the Saiyans. He does want to pay back his pain and suffering, but the desire to do so is a direct cause of what happened to his own race. In fact, were it not for Frieza's betrayal and the drastic reform in Saiyan mentality caused by the influence of Goku's upbringing, his actions could almost be considered heroic to most of the universe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i copy/pasted that as a joke but i realized upon reading it that baby is just an amalgam of every dbz arc's main villain into an ouroboros of suck

childish and immature: buu
cunning and prefers to fight one-on-one: cell
egotistical and cruel: frieza
proud, takes enjoyment in battle and isn't acting purely on evil: vegeta

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The only way Baby being an amalgam of previous villains (without sucking, of course) could have worked would have been if Baby had possessed a bunch of villains and started picking up not just their personalities but also their flaws (and ways they could be defeated). Granted, villains coming back got saved for the saga after Baby, so you would have to rearrange stuff a bit, but that would have been for the better.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Baby should have possessed Goku and been defeated by Vegeta.

But that could never have happened in Dragonball Goku Time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RZApublican posted:

The only way Baby being an amalgam of previous villains (without sucking, of course) could have worked would have been if Baby had possessed a bunch of villains and started picking up not just their personalities but also their flaws (and ways they could be defeated). Granted, villains coming back got saved for the saga after Baby, so you would have to rearrange stuff a bit, but that would have been for the better.

I think you miss his meaning. He's not literally an amalgam, like Cell, but he is from a character perspective.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I think you miss his meaning. He's not literally an amalgam, like Cell, but he is from a character perspective.

No, I understood his meaning, I just think what I described would be more interesting. It wasn't so much a literal Cell-style amalgamation as a way to explain how his personality would have been the way it is.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Weren't there like only 67 or so episodes of DBGT? How did they cram so many story arcs in that many episodes? So were these like ten episode arcs?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I finished Jaco. Loved it. Wish there was more. So is this new origin story canon over the Burdock movies? (Also, why does my phone have Burdock as a suggested option when I've always called him Bardock before reading the book and writing this post? That's bizarre.. That's not a real name is it?)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

RZApublican posted:

Actually, switching things around a bit might make things a fair bit more entertaining. Say the space-hunt for the Dragon Balls happens, but the Earth Dragon Balls have some kind of malfunction because of the instability the Black Star ones are loving around with the Earth's magic... somethingorrather. While the hunt is going on, some villains show up on Earth and by the time Baby has arrived, there's a lot more powerful (and possibly willing) beings for him to possess. Explain things like Baby being a blank slate and sort of learns how to act by taking people over, and you have an explanation as to why Baby ends up like he does. His vendetta against the Saiyans becomes focused on Goku specifically due to all the villains that have influenced him, with Vegeta being the final, and biggest, influence of them all.

Man even to this day it's apparent how much wasted potential there is in GT. :(

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I haven't seen much of GT at all, mostly just YouTube clips of fighting and stuff to get a feel for what's going on, but does the whole pace of combat feel a lot slower to anyone else? And good lord, by the time they're as powerful as they supposedly are, one miss on a ki blast should blow up the planet if Cell or even a really worked up Saiyan saga Vegeta could manage it.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

New Leaf posted:

So I finished Jaco. Loved it. Wish there was more. So is this new origin story canon over the Burdock movies? (Also, why does my phone have Burdock as a suggested option when I've always called him Bardock before reading the book and writing this post? That's bizarre.. That's not a real name is it?)

Burdock is a type of plant. All of the names in DBZ are probably some sort of pun.

Covok
May 27, 2013

facebook jihad posted:

Weren't there like only 67 or so episodes of DBGT? How did they cram so many story arcs in that many episodes? So were these like ten episode arcs?

This is what DBZ Wikia has to say on that:

quote:

Since Dragon Ball GT was not based on the manga, no filler was required. As a result, four entire sagas (the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga, the Baby Saga, the Super 17 Saga, and the Shadow Dragon Saga) were completed in only 64 episodes.

For the curious:

code:
Black Star Dragonball Saga: 16 episodes
Baby Saga: 24 episodes
Super 17 Saga: 7 episodes
Shadow Dragon Saga: 17 episodes

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
GT had a number of interesting to fantastic ideas that were executed as poorly as they possibly could've been. I'm honestly not sure how they managed to beef the whole dark dragon saga, but they beefed it hard.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

New Leaf posted:

I haven't seen much of GT at all, mostly just YouTube clips of fighting and stuff to get a feel for what's going on, but does the whole pace of combat feel a lot slower to anyone else? And good lord, by the time they're as powerful as they supposedly are, one miss on a ki blast should blow up the planet if Cell or even a really worked up Saiyan saga Vegeta could manage it.

GT's portrayal of various characters' strengths is... odd, to say the least. Sometimes SS4 Goku seems weaker than Saiyan Saga Goku, sometimes regular kid Goku is stronger than every other fighter on the planet combined, things are just kinda wildly inconsistent. Combine that with how the fighting can happen at a glacial pace even compared to Z's (the Super 17 fight especially), and a number of episodes just come off as plain dull.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

New Leaf posted:

Haha, in GT SSJ4 Vegeta had trouble lifting a building and Goku had to use a town's power grid to to charge up a kamehameha strong enough to beat the villian of the week.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Did they ever establish if true andrionds (not cyborgs like #17 and #18) and robots go to otherworld or not?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
In GT, Goku genuinely fretted at having to dive through a rotating fanblade in a sewer.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RZApublican posted:

No, I understood his meaning, I just think what I described would be more interesting. It wasn't so much a literal Cell-style amalgamation as a way to explain how his personality would have been the way it is.

Oh, well that still would have kinda sucked because it'd just be another retread. Also it never needed explanation or anything, it's just the fact that they don't know how to write villains in GT for poo poo.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Oh, well that still would have kinda sucked because it'd just be another retread. Also it never needed explanation or anything, it's just the fact that they don't know how to write villains in GT for poo poo.

Yeah, I kinda didn't take that into consideration. Fixing GT is in many ways trying to put out a fire with gasoline :v:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Covok posted:

Did they ever establish if true andrionds (not cyborgs like #17 and #18) and robots go to otherworld or not?
dr. gero's cyborg body went to hell right? so i dont see why not

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Actually, switching things around a bit might make things a fair bit more entertaining. Say the space-hunt for the Dragon Balls happens, but the Earth Dragon Balls have some kind of malfunction because of the instability the Black Star ones are loving around with the Earth's magic... somethingorrather. While the hunt is going on, some villains show up on Earth and by the time Baby has arrived, there's a lot more powerful (and possibly willing) beings for him to possess. Explain things like Baby being a blank slate and sort of learns how to act by taking people over, and you have an explanation as to why Baby ends up like he does. His vendetta against the Saiyans becomes focused on Goku specifically due to all the villains that have influenced him, with Vegeta being the final, and biggest, influence of them all.

Man even to this day it's apparent how much wasted potential there is in GT. :(

Honestly if you were going to have past villains show up and influence Baby an easier way to do it would be to tie him into Dr. Raichi and his Ghost Warriors from Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. Raichi and Baby already have the same motivation and origin.

Horrible Taste fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 3, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Is that where that weird rear end guy on a ball is from in the DBM comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, it was from some OVA called "Plan to Eliminate the Saiyans" I think.

Oh, it's Eradicate not Eliminate.
Anyway, it came out in the 90s while the show was still running, it's basically Cell Saga filler in a way. Then they remade it for DVD a couple years back to promote Raging Blast 2 and playable Hachiyak.

• Locked thread